Mary-Sue Test

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Oddly enough, that drops it down to 49.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pick wrote:Ditto, which I think is unfair. I think that personality is much more of an important factor in defining what is and is not a Mary Sue. A wanked character is, in my opinion, an entirely different species than a real "Mary Sue".
I think I got it. Although it's deviating from the directions, it can't be helped. If your characters have any of the abilities on the list but they have them due to magic don't check them. Just check "general magic and sorcery" and leave individual spell effects like teleportation and pyromancy blank.

Try that.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Well, on a whim, I decided to to test Orione, the cyborg child-assassin from Get It By Your Hands. I can get a thirty if I don't tick her abilities as being common, a twenty if they are. I'm quite surprised really; I'd of thought that she'd have come out worse off, what with her plethora of skillz.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Sci-fi military personel seem like they would really suffer from this test. The ability to have skills and technology not available to normal population(ie not normal) shifts this test up many points, even if said skills and technology could be considered appropriate for someone of their military position to possess. Of course, as said before, this is a litmus test, and not the be all end all.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Darth Raptor wrote:The list of powers and abilities kill my characters.
Did you check the box saying "Are these skills considered normal in your universe?" Because that negates all points gained from the powers section.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Rahim Sayed scores a 10. Elijah Fitzthomas is a 23. Kim Tran is a 31. I didn't feel like doing the rest of them.

The test is a litmus. There are potential mitigating explanations for most of the Mary Sueish traits on the list. However, the higher the score, the more unlikely those explanations need to be to mitigate all of them. A low score, on the other hand, ought to be a pretty solid indicator there's no Mary Sueing going on. :?
Last edited by RedImperator on 2006-04-01 02:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

My characters Mary Sue score is a whopping 6. He is Anti-Sue!
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

That was pretty funny. Just for the record, the maximum has to be somewhere around...
Your Mary Sue Score: 593
...since while i read through it i checked all the mary-sue-ish options.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”