Pi calculated to 1.24 trillion digits

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

guyver
Padawan Learner

Pi calculated to 1.24 trillion digits

Post by guyver »

Now that is a big Pi

TOKYO, Dec. 6 — Researchers at a leading national university have set a world record by calculating the value of pi to 1.24 trillion places, a member of the team said Friday. Professor Yasumasa Kanada and nine other researchers at the Information Technology Center at Tokyo University calculated the value for pi with a Hitachi supercomputer over 400 hours in September, team member Makoto Kudo said.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/844110.asp?0dm=T28BT
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

This is interesting, but we already have a thread about it.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
guyver
Padawan Learner

Post by guyver »

Durran Korr wrote:This is interesting, but we already have a thread about it.
Sorry did not see it

Could a mod remove this please
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Okay, so they show off their big, powerful computers, but what else is calculating pi to a bazillion digits going to do for us? Will it solve world hunger at 10 trillion, elimitate idiocy at 50 trillion, make FTL travel possible at 1 quadrillion, and then turn the universe into an utopia at 100 quadrillion or something?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

It allows for a more precise measurement of just how big the tires on Bigfoot really are :D :wink:.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
data_link
Jedi Master

Post by data_link »

As was mentioned, computing Pi to several umptillion is a very good way to test the processing power of computers.

Beyond that though, I think they do it for the same reason that George Mallory climbed Mount Everest: "Because it is there." 8)
data_link has resigned from the board after proving himself to be a relentless strawman-using asshole in this thread and being too much of a pussy to deal with the inevitable flames. Buh-bye.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Seeing as how there is another thread on this very matter...

Thread locked.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."