What bands do you hate?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

In fairness i liked hyrid theory. As a paranoid depressive the lyrics spoke to me which makes a change from the voices in my head. But Linkin Park have feced up all their momentum by releasing re-animation. Can you say Corperate Whore. Ok a remix album is a sweet idea, KoRn did it sever times i believe as did Nine Inch Nails, but only when that had plenty of quality material to play with.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I have never liked the inappropriately named Extreme, their love ballads did nothing for my ears.

Avril Lavigne just seems like a big phoney from Napanee and her songs suck to boot!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Creed, POD, Kid Rock, current Metallica, current Aerosmith...hell I hate most of today's "rock" bands.

Any boy band/pop band/sex symbol singer/diva.

Most Rap and Hip-Hop, with several exceptions (Eminem, Beastie Boys, Run DMC).
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Has anyone heard of a girl band from Spain called Las Ketchup; they're cute but their Ketchup song suuuucks!
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Next of Kin wrote:Has anyone heard of a girl band from Spain called Las Ketchup; they're cute but their Ketchup song suuuucks!
I've heard of them, though I haven't heard their song yet. My little sister seems to love them though.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Limp Bizkit in general and Fred Durst in particular. They're fucking tards who got lucky then decided that they were rulers of the world. Go the fuck away, your music sucks and only waning hope that you'd replicate our tiny amount of interesting music keeps sales alive.

Boy Band, no more need be said.

Blink 182. I like a lot of pop-punk just because I can ignroe many things and just flow with the music in the car (when the wind drowns out the sameness of msot songs). however these tards, much like Bizkit, simply decided that they were the messiah of punk rock and guess what: they suck. They are a product of the recording studio and the corporate hype machine.

Dave Matthews Band. Will somebody fucking KILL the DMB fanatics who think they are th greatest thing since sliced bread. i can admit they have talent but their songs just irritate me and the rabidnss of their fans mkes me think of a pack of pirahnas just devouring up anything DMB feeds them. Oh yeah that and they helped dive Hootie and the Blowfish out of the spotlight which pisses me off.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Boy Bands and Pop Princesses- Hate the whole no-talent. no-brains crap they all produce. If you can't sing and play without a some sort of back up you have no business in music.

Feel my pain rocker- whiny bitches that want to be Nirvana but are just poor spolied white kids. You don't know real pain although I'd love to show them.

Most Rappers- most are stupid idiots that can never escape the thugs mentality and get killed for it. Not to mention the enshrinement of a life style that has ruined the youth of most inner-city kids.

"Christian" Rockers- God and rock music don't mix, ever!
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Pop bands. Self explainatory.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Next of Kin wrote:Has anyone heard of a girl band from Spain called Las Ketchup; they're cute but their Ketchup song suuuucks!
I've heard of them, though I haven't heard their song yet. My little sister seems to love them though.
Here's a link to the site that has their video. The song is a play off of rapper's delight. You be the judge....

http://www.theketchupsong.com/
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Linkin' FUCKING Park.

I don't mind those boy bands and britney spears and what not. I don't care that they are one trick pony's with only a voice, that can't write and has to have several dancing coaches to do one damn video. Thats fine with me, I don't have to listen to thier crap. Same thing with that American Idol crap, taking a one trick pony and giving her everything else they need(song lyrics, dancing talent, etc).

But then they made Linkin' Park. If you've ever heard them live you'll know what I mean, they are worthless fucktards, off fucking key, and obviously have no idea the meaning of their song is when they show the most emotion in the least meaningful parts. And their played on my radio sation.

FUCK YOU LINKIN' PARK!
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Next of Kin wrote:Avril Lavigne just seems like a big phoney from Napanee and her songs suck to boot!
I saw Avril (why do I keep seeing "Advil"?) perform live at a free concert on labour day and it was definitely not worth writing home about. It was mediocre at best, but at least she can sing and keep a tune. Of course having her perform right after Chantal Kreviazuk wasn't the brightest of ideas, those promoters must've been on crack. Chantal is just one of the best live performers around today, and if they had any brains they would've had her as the main act to close out the show.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

There's not really any bands that I hate. There are some genres that I don't care for though:

- rap after the mid-90's ('Fear of a black planet' was probably the last good rap album)
- country-pop (I like my Hank to be senior, thank ya)
(basically when Mutt Lange started producing country records)
- boy/girl pop bands since the late '60's

but most especially:
- pop artists that don't write their own songs
(and just because someone's name is credited doesn't mean they had anything to do with writing it. It's a common practice in pop song deals that the performer gets songwriting credit.)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

aerius wrote:
Next of Kin wrote:Avril Lavigne just seems like a big phoney from Napanee and her songs suck to boot!
I saw Avril (why do I keep seeing "Advil"?) perform live at a free concert on labour day and it was definitely not worth writing home about. It was mediocre at best, but at least she can sing and keep a tune. Of course having her perform right after Chantal Kreviazuk wasn't the brightest of ideas, those promoters must've been on crack. Chantal is just one of the best live performers around today, and if they had any brains they would've had her as the main act to close out the show.
The promoters probably thought that Avril had more appeal as a poseur sk8r.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Performing live is a great test of a band/artist/performer.

Any one can sound good in the studio, and I mean anyone. Performing live is a whole other set of rules though. I've lost track of how many songs I've heard on the radio or CD that were awesome, but the live performance sucked. I don't mean like an off night, or bad sound, I mean it was obvious that the song was a product of studio tricks and time spent, not talent.

Seriously. We could take anyone from this board, anyone, and hire some songwriters, a studio band, and buy up a ton of studio time with a top-shelf producer, and make a hit record. If anyone has $10-20M to blow on production and marketing, I'll prove it to you with a grammy :)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It's kinda sickening what the editing tools they have in the studio are capable of these days. The even have a "perfect pitch" device so you can sing completely off key and it'll tune your voice to the correct note. Also with digital editing they can easily synch up the instruments even when they play completely off beat, and that's just a small part of what editing can do. With enough time you could make your middle school band sound as good as the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Avril Lavigne has a good voice and looks real pretty, but couldn't write a good song to save her life.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

*sigh* That's part of why I've been listening to more and more bluegrass lately - it's all natural, no filler, no preservatives. The singers and players are all real.

One recent example of what can be done in the studio is Shania Twain's latest album. Two discs, same songs, but one disc is country mixes and the other is pop mixes. Same songs, same lead singing performances (more or less) but different arrangements and performances underneath. It's been done before, but IIRC not the scale of an entire album or released together as one. Mutt Lange hasn't been the same since Def Leppard.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

My musical tastes are really broad, but I find myself going after albums that have more of that "live" sound to them. For all the miracles that editing can do it can't create emotion and energy, not very well at least thank god, and excessive production work just sucks the life out of music. One of my fave albums is the Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies. Recorded in a church directly to a DAT deck using only a single microphone. It's the most natural and alive CD I've ever heard, and the recording quality is incredible too.

The Shania Twain thing...gah...that's just wrong. And this album is somehow getting 4/5 star reviews in all the local papers.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Here is my list if you even care anymore.

Creed-rehashed Pearl Jam mixed with STP=SHITTY CHRISTAIN ROCK(and yes they are a christian rock band)
Limp Bizkit-why oh why can't somebody slap that retard Durst
Jay-Z -Another dumbass who will be forgotten in 5 years and end up working at McDs
Saliva-Kid Rock wannabes (which reminds me)
KID ROCK-trailer trash with attitude
The dime a dozen rappers, er excuse me "hip-hop artists"
Puff poddy, P siddy or whatever the fuck that retard calls himself these days
Ja-Rule and ashanti-another dumbass thug rapper and this time he brought his whore
POD-Badasses with a positive outlook, and no talent.

There is probably more but I am too tired to keep going. Oh and the pop princes and princesses are a given, everyone hates them.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Yeah, The Trinity Session is a great album. And I agree with the 'live' sound thing. That's how all albums used to be recorded. One mic in the middle, and step forward if it's your turn to sing or solo. These days, on a highly produced album, every instrument/performance is recorded seperately, and often at different physical locations. On Queensryche's (sp?) last album or two, the band members recorded their respective parts at their own homes and mailed ADAT tapes around :roll:

It's not uncommon either these days with pop records to throw away the original drummer's performance, using the track only to trigger samples of drum sounds. Too, there is a considerable amount of "sweetening", where vocals are processed to accentuate the even harmonics of the tones (along with the aforementioned pitch fixing etc.).

Give me the good ole days of "gimme a guit-tar anna mic" :)
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

I despise any group of effeminate 20-something guys who can't sing worth a shit and wouldn't know a guitar from a Star Destroyer. Yes, I'm talking about boy-bands. For that matter, I also despise little pop temptresses whose brains fall far below the critical neural mass necessary to write their own music.

For that matter, Creed, which has somehow escaped from the realm of Xtian radio, tends to irritate me to some small extent as well. Oh yeah, virtually all country recorded in the 90s pisses me off.

I could go on and on like this, but you get the picture.
Ewo
Youngling

Post by Ewo »

I absolutely HATE Kelly Clarkson, the annoying beeotch who won American Idol. Her voice is like Mariah Carey on drugs and her song "A moment like this" makes me want to rip my ears from my head.
Plus I hate every song on my "appropriate for work" MIX radio station. I will tell you that Mix does not mean more variety. It means that they play the same stupid pop songs that everyone here mentions they hate and that I hate too over and over and over until the public thinks they like it just because they can recognize the song.
Bands like that brainwash the nation.
Now before Dave Matthews gets trashed anymore, I think he has some good music out there, but his new stuff is a little bit too POP. So I agree that some new songs are getting annoying because they are starting to repeat too much but his old songs are good.
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me, you... Jack Handey Deep thought
That was a stupid thing to say and you are stupid for saying it!
"It's rude enough being alive when nobody wants you" Shrek
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

There is no one band or singer I hate unilaterally. Everyone tends to get a song I like at least a little.

One category I cannot stand is the idiot rapper group. You know, the black guys who run around calling everyone 'nigger' and shooting and calling women 'bitches' and 'hoes', and drugs. I think they represent the worst of America.
JADAFETWA
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Personally I like any thing with some honest emotion behind it.

So obviously New Age Jazz, Kenny G, Disco, and boy/girl bands suck. A few exceptions prove the rule. All the members of the 1970's/early 80's Girl Band: The Runaways, actually showed some talent after they broke up. (Drummer went on to the Bangels, Pat Benatar, Patti Smyth, and Joan Jett went onto solo work) Still I do love music with a strong emotional cord to it. Even Wagner.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

IG-88E wrote:There is no one band or singer I hate unilaterally. Everyone tends to get a song I like at least a little.
Even Creed had some songs I liked the first gazillion times I heard them :)
IG-88E wrote:One category I cannot stand is the idiot rapper group. You know, the black guys who run around calling everyone 'nigger' and shooting and calling women 'bitches' and 'hoes', and drugs. I think they represent the worst of America.
Gangsta rap has to be one of the more unimaginitive genres out there these days. Ok, so you got some guns and girls, great. What else you got going on? Oh, you'll bust a cap in my ass? I doubt it, I'll hear your trunk rattling a mile away :twisted:

Look at Run D.M.C. - they out out some great rap albums, and IIRC, there was not one mention of hoes or gats or niggaz on any of their albums. OR Public Enemy - they pissed a lot of people off, and did some stupid crap offstage, but their early albums were very politcal and smart. Channel Zero is a great song about the vapid nature of daytime TV, and was one the earlier rap songs to incorporate a rock sample, namely the main guitar riff from Slayer's Angel of Death. (Probably the inspiration behind much of the hybrid music today.)

Rap from the '70's and '80's was often socio-politcally aware, or just normal songs about normal things, but gangsta rap is all about the same damn thing, over and over and over...

A good song about being a bad ass kicks ass (Bad Company off the top of my head), but the same rhymes over and over about guns and hoes gets old, very quickly.

Edit: had more to say
Last edited by Drewcifer on 2002-12-11 01:10am, edited 1 time in total.