A true "Holy Grail" kit is on it's way to me...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

A true "Holy Grail" kit is on it's way to me...

Post by Frank Hipper »

Seldom in life does one get exactly what one has wanted for most of their life.

Small beans or no, I'm actually getting a decades-long dream fulfilled shortly, a 1/72nd scale Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI in injected plastic.

Literally, I've wanted this kit, in this scale, of this plane, for longer than many of you have been alive. The manufacturer Contrail used to produce a vac-form kit of it in 1/72, but vac-form models are for the insane. :lol:

Roden, the manufacturer, has recieved mixed reviews on some of their kits in the past; their 1/72 Fokker D.VII earning some harsh comments for it's lower wing fit in particular.
I've got several of their models, and found some infuriating (but far from ruinous) fit problems in their Gotha G.V, some more expectable ones on their Pfalz D.IIIa; from an early pre-pre-view build from a Ukrainian source there are some issues with the windscreen/upper fuselage, but they sound like they're no step for a stepper. :wink:

Having said that, Roden has a justly earned reputation for accuracy and some of the finest detailed plastic kits in the world. Some people complain about their smaller parts being too hard to work with as a consequence to being so in-scale. Wing struts and guns especially...
Their kit's engines are always wonderful little things, and better than most after-market manufacturer's offerings, great models in their own right...and there's the critical Maybach Mb.IV engine option in the box to build Betevigni's R39. (super-cool for those of you who don't know)

It's on it's way, this very moment, and I'm happier than a pig in shit. :D
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Great looking kit.

One of the more interesting features of this aircraft is the mechanic seated in each engine pod. :)

Years ago I had lots of model planes hanging in the basement of the house where I used to live. Unfortunately, apartment living makes it hard to keep many completed kits on display right now.

The rigging always scares me, and this is a huge monster, but man, I'd love to get one of these!

Edit:

Roden's armor kits are pretty much well-regarded, and they make some interesting German armored cars.
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Actually, owing the size of this thing, rigging it isn't scaring me much...big wing gap, easy access. :P

The sheer amount of stretchy sprue to rig it is causing me some concern, truth be told.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Frank Hipper wrote:Actually, owing the size of this thing, rigging it isn't scaring me much...big wing gap, easy access. :P

The sheer amount of stretchy sprue to rig it is causing me some concern, truth be told.
Ah, stretching sprue. An exercise that always leaves me in fits. I definitely need more practice with that!

Have you ever tried using fine metal wire for rigging? There's also a method of using thread and tightening it with cigarette smoke, but I don't smoke and haven't tried it.
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Ah, stretching sprue. An exercise that always leaves me in fits. I definitely need more practice with that!
What gets me about it is getting everything a uniform diameter, drives me fucking nuts. :P
Have you ever tried using fine metal wire for rigging? There's also a method of using thread and tightening it with cigarette smoke, but I don't smoke and haven't tried it.
I use heat to tighten up stretched sprue, getting the tang end of Ye Olde #11 blade good and hot and then delicately getting it close does the trick..and sometimes melts right through the crap and it's time to start over!
Some people use incense.

Heat also presents a hazard to delicate plastic interplane struts, always make sure the heat source is coming from above, never from below, to minimise damage to a nearly completed model. :o
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So have you gotten the kit yet? What's it like? I haven't seen any reviews posted online yet, but it sure looks to be quite an effort from Roden.