Dawn of Forever, Part XXXI-XLIX

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Sonnenburg wrote:
consequences wrote:Item the first: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over. :shock:
I like to push the envelope, preferably right off the desk.
Chuck. You don't push it off the desk. You push it into the out basket where it is filed, lost, filed again, lost again, rerouted across half the planet, turned into matchsticks, used and thrown into the trash, recycled into new envolopes, then vaporised with a nuclear warhead.

Not that I'm complaining mind you :D
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Very...very...confused. Ben's home timeline perhaps?
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Very...very...confused. Ben's home timeline perhaps?
In Ben's timeline, the wormhole was never created.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thanks for the feedback everybody, as always, it's appreciated.

I'm surprised that nobody commented on Mara and Seven's antics on her desk. :)
Chuck

Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Sonnenburg wrote:Thanks for the feedback everybody, as always, it's appreciated.

I... I wasn't sure if that actually happened or if I read too deeply into the scene.
After all, I was already reading with my mouth hung open and my brain doing flips in the air. Let's just say my ability to connect the dots was... in dispute.

An interesting twist, nonetheless. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Interesting chapter. Some trick on Seven's mind prehaps? Or maybe it is a whole another universe.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:Interesting chapter. Some trick on Seven's mind prehaps? Or maybe it is a whole another universe.
Well, there's always this:
Against All Odds, Part XL wrote: Seven turned quickly. “Ben?”

Sisko stepped over. “I knew you could do it,” he said with a small smile.

She looked over at the fallen shape of her enemy. “It’s not exactly something I’m proud of.”

“That’s fine, so long as it was done.” He stepped over and knelt down, examining the woman carefully. “Such a shame it had to come to this. There were realms she didn’t see, ones where you and her became close friends in fact.”

“I doubt that,” Seven said, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

“You’d be surprised.”
Chuck

Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Sonnenburg wrote:Thanks for the feedback everybody, as always, it's appreciated.

It sounds like a very interesting timeline...
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

How many parralell universe is this now?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

2000AD wrote:How many parralell universe is this now?
That have actually been an influence? This is only the second (assuming it's a PU). Mara passed through a million, of course, and Luke has seen the true SW universe once in a Force vision, but I don't count that because Zhan established that the Force can see alternate pasts, which would essentially be the same.
Chuck

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Why is it that every time I forget to check on this story, even more unexpected twists and turns are thrown in? And then I come back and there's ten chapters waiting and I can't stop until I've finished reading them...

Damn you, Chuck! :twisted:
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XLII

Sebastian sat on the edge of his bed; Janet kissed the back of his neck while she ran a hand over his chest. He took the hand and squeezed it, then set it down on a bed. He looked somewhat morose. “This was a one time thing,” he said.

Janet nodded to herself. “But I’ll be here if you need me again.”

“A one time thing,” Sebastian said again. “I just... just needed to...“

“I know what you needed,” Janet said.

“No, that’s not what I meant at all,” Sebastian said, getting up and hopping a couple meters away. He turned back, and panels opened on his arms and one of his legs. “What do you see?”

“Please don’t do that,” Janet said, turning away.

“This is me, Janet,” Sebastian said. “Take it or leave it.” He finally closed the panels. “Three quarters machine and the human part is crippled.” He took a deep breath. “I needed to feel human again, Janet. I needed to feel like I’m a part of this instead of just some computer making decisions from the data that's provided.”

“Then why can’t this continue?” Janet asked.

“Because I am a machine,” Sebastian said. He grabbed his cane, limped back, and kissed her. “I was wrong,” he said. “You have helped ease the burden a little. Thank you. But this is where it has to end.”

Janet nodded again, then went to get dressed. "Orders, prefect?"

Sebastian climbed into the sonic shower. "I want to meet with Cirule and the leaders of the military remnants who have joined the Alliance. With the Vong still remaining a threat, and my less than stellar diplomatic work, we're going to have to settle issues in that galaxy once and for all."
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Captain," Mara Jade Skywalker said, "I need to speak with you in private, please."

Captain Seven of Nine nodded, unable to make eye contact with either her or Luke. Mara led the way into an adjoining storeroom; Seven turned and sealed the door. "Mara-" she started to say as she turned back, but was cut off when the fist connected with her face.

"You told me it was over!" Mara said, her voice dripping with accusation.

Seven rubbed her cheek. "It is," she said firmly. "Luke's yours; I accept that."

"Then what the hell was that just now?" Mara demanded.

"It was just a kiss, Mara."

"Oh please," Mara said. "That wasn't 'just' anything, that was 'all pilots to the launch bay.'"

"Mara, I'm sorry."

"I could sense your emotions, Seven," Mara pushed on with barely restrained fury. "You want him back, badly."

Seven scoffed. "Absolutely," she said while she vehemently shook her head for No. She froze as she realized what had just come out of her mouth, but it only lasted a second before Mara punched her in the face again. "Aw kriff!" she said grabbing her cheek, then looking up at Mara. "Would you stop that?!" she said through her teeth.

"You're not taking him away from me," Mara said, fuming where she stood.

"Of course not," Seven said. She held up her hands in a placating gesture. "Listen, Mara," she said, trying to settle down. "I know you're not going to want to believe me, but I think this anomaly has something to do with what just happened."

"Oh please!" Mara said. "Don't feed me that crap, it insults my intelligence."

"Just listen," Seven insisted. "You said the anomaly was showing some kind of effects on the Force, right. The Force influences our thoughts, our emotions; it's unbound by time and space. If it has that kind of effect, it's certainly possible it could affect my mind. Mara," she said, taking her friends hands, "I would never try to steal your husband away from you. I swear I won't."

Mara had finally calmed down. "Yeah, of course you wouldn't," she said finally. "Seven, I'm sorry; I should know by now to trust you."

"I would've done the same thing in your place," Seven said, then offered a lopsided grin. "It takes someone you really love to get you really pissed off." Mara laughed, but there was still a dark note there. "Still friends?"

Mara nodded. "'Til the end," she said. "Well, I guess we better look into this anomaly thing before something else happens."

Sebastian limped into the room; the other members were all there holographically. This meeting was for the former Imperial leadership only. "Gentlemen," he said, "thank you for assembling so quickly." They nodded as he took his seat. "Admiral Cirule informs me that you've consented to bring your forces into the Alliance. Thank you, and you will be well-compensated for your decision, and I hope your people will likewise benefit." He folded his hands. "The reason I've assembled you here, away from the ears of the other military leaders, is the delicate issue of your former comrades in arms."

"The remnants that refused your invitation," General Yinor said.

"Yes. My people tell me that they are a threat to us. Would you agree?"

There was a lot of uncomfortable looks amongst the holograms. "Conflict is inevitable," Admiral Hune said. "Especially General Corbin; he's most ambitious."

"So I've heard," Sebastian said. "I'm going to suggest something very unpleasant; tell me what you think." He cleared his throat. "The Alliance annexes the remnants. Any attempts by the powers in place to resist are dealt with by your forces."

The suggestion was received with the expected silence; most of them had no doubt expected something along those lines. "It's not an easy thing," Yinor said, "fighting people who were once your friend."

"Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. Do you see an alternative?"

"Have us reinforce your Milky Way positions," Yinor said. "Then send your own ships in to deal with the remnants."

"It's not feasible," Cirule said. "And it gives the remnants an advantage. Nobody knows Imperial space like we do, gentlemen... and deep down, I think a lot of the remnants' military is as opposed to this as we are. We can turn that into an advantage."

"It won't be pretty," Hune said flatly.

"I couldn’t imagine it being anything else," Sebastian said. “But do you agree this is how we should proceed?” The seconds passed, but there was soon agreement from all parties. "Gentlemen, I want to again thank you; you're making the universe safer for the Alliance at personal cost, and I appreciate that. I'll let you see to the details; please inform me when we're ready to make the announcement." He got up and left.

"Things all right, prefect?" Janet asked.

"Better than I expected," Sebastian said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Any leads on our holographic friends?”

“Terraine says that they have the area narrowed down to a sector, but it’s proving difficult to get more specific.”

“Well, keep at it,” Sebastian said. “We’ve got enough to worry about with the Vong here, we don’t need a wild card.”

“Of course, prefect.” Janet tapped the datapad. “We’ve received a communication from Minister Dineb of Cardassia; they’d like to discuss joining the Alliance.”

Sebastian did a double-take. “Cardassians?”

Janet gave her own confused shrug. “Apparently Mr. Garak has vanished without a trace. I’ve gone over the information, and it looks like the minister has the best chance of retaining control of the territory. However, there’s no certainty, and some of the other members of the government are not above using less-than-conventional politics for advancement.”

“Ah, he wants us to solidify his hold and protect him,” Sebastian said. Well, that’s how the political game worked, and it was in part responsible for building the Alliance in the first place. The government may span two galaxies, but it was still just like an old Neolithic tribe: we ban together out of self-interest. “Find some time for me to talk with the minister over the holonet; I don’t want to leave the delta quadrant right now, in case we need to deal with the Vong or the Imperial remnants.”

“Yes prefect.”

“Then take the rest of the week off.”

Janet was about to tap it into the datapad, then caught herself. “Prefect?”

He smiled. “I’m not the only one who’s been overdoing it.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek -a platonic gesture- and limped back towards his office.

Seven let out an agonizing cry as she felt her uterus contract. It hurt... she knew it’d hurt from the get go, but never imagined it’d hurt like this. After twelve hours, she was almost wistful for the Imperial interrogation room. But when the medical droid again offered her something to take away the pain she snarled at it in refusal. She’d never experience this again, and despite how much it hurt, she wasn’t going to miss this for anything. The only thing she’d allowed was for Luke to use some of his Jedi pain suppression techniques on her to help take the edge off... it was something he could do to help, and by choosing to marry a Borg he’d committed himself to also only experience this once, and she wanted to let him share in it. He couldn’t hold her hand like most fathers could; under this pain she’d lose control and turn the bones in his hand to talc. She’d already worn finger-shaped dents into the bedrails.

“You’re doing it,” Luke said soothingly. “You’re doing it.”

“I know, shut the kriff up!” she shouted at him. She couldn’t help herself; the pain seemed everywhere, pulling and stretching and shoving as her body was subjected to the furthest strains human anatomy could achieve.

“You’re my hero,” Luke said. “You’re so brave, so strong... you can do this.” Seven shook with tears. “Just a little longer, Annika... just a little longer.”

“I can’t...” she wept.

“You can,” Luke said. “Our baby’s almost here, just a little more, Annika. Just a little more.” He stroked her head lovingly.

“Push,” the medical droid said, and Seven did. Again it asked; again she complied. And Luke held her. And the pain just seemed to sap her strength, but she pushed on, and then it was gone... and there was the sound of crying. It was soon followed by her own.

“You did it,” Luke repeated quietly to Seven as she laid back and cried. One of the droids came up and offered her the little bundle, and she took it and held it to her chest, never ceasing in her weeping. She’d done it... despite the Borg, she’d gotten to hold a son from her own flesh and blood, created by her and the man she loved more than anything. And despite the agony, despite the physical and emotional exhaustion in the wake of the labor, she held her child and felt unbridled joy.

“Hello, Sebastian,” she said softly.

Captain Seven of Nine opened her eyes and took in the ceiling of her quarters. After a few seconds passed horrible grief descended on her, and she actually felt some tears form. It had felt so real... it had felt just like she’d imagine it would... no, actually, it felt a lot worse, a lot more intense. And yet, she was distraught that it wasn’t real. She wasn’t able to have a child, it was impossible. It was a joy she would never personally know... but it was so hard to shake.

And there had been Luke again. She thought she’d been able to move past that; he was with Mara now, and she could never hurt her no matter how much she might want to have him back. He was a friend, and that’s all they could ever be now... and she thought she’d accepted that. Dreaming that you’re going to bear his child probably doesn’t fall under “just friends.” She decided to get up and get a start on the day. When she walked onto the bridge her crew remained professional; she should have expected that. They may snicker about what happened -and frankly, she couldn't fault them- but they drew the line between frivolousness and work.

After some time checking over the details she went back to her office to examine the preliminary reports. That's when Mara arrived; she used the side entrance to avoid the bridge, something that Seven had arranged for her and Luke for especially secret assignments. "Peace offering?" she said, holding a tray with a stack of french toast on it. "Ship's cook said you skipped breakfast."

"I didn't have much of an appetite," Seven said. She looked at it, but even after the time that passed, her stomach was still tender, as if the dream had taken a physical toll on her body. "Thanks all the same, though."

Mara put it in the disposal. "I'm sorry about what I did," she said. "Your face okay?"

"Sore," Seven said. She looked up at Mara. "You punched a Borg. How's the fist?"

Mara laughed and rubbed it. "Hurts like hell," she said.

Seven got up and stepped onto the bridge for a moment to confer with Commander Greiss, then stepped back. "You should learn to be more careful, Whind," she said, and her eyes widened at the word. She saw Mara's expression; she was hurt and angry. "I'm sorry!" she said quickly. "God, I have no idea where that came from!"

"Are you messing with my head?" Mara demanded. "Is this a practical joke or something? I left Darth Whind behind a long time ago-"

"I know, I know," Seven said. "Honestly, Mara, I'm as puzzled as you are."

"I'm not puzzled, I'm upset!"

"And you have every right to be," Seven said. "I'm sorry, it's-" She turned back to her best friend, and she wanted to start hitting her and never stop. "Maybe we should get Luke in here," she said, unable to look at Mara and think clearly.

"Why?" Mara said suspiciously.

"Because he has training in Vulcan mind techniques," Seven said. "He might be able to help me figure out if something's wrong."

"Seven, something is definitely wrong," Mara said. "Why are you getting so hostile? I can sense it?"

"Then maybe you should mind your own business!" Seven shot back. She put her hand to her head and started pacing. "None of the reports from the rest of the crew have indicated even slight behavioral aberrations. You and Luke seem otherwise normal. Perhaps the anomaly is affecting my Borg technology in some way. My system still hasn't fully recovered from the Vong infection."

"Seven, what are you talking about?"

"Perhaps I'm receiving feedback from the Collective," she thought aloud. "Their signals somehow-"

"Sithspawn, Seven, there are no more Borg!"

"Of course there are," Seven snapped. "Sebastian brought them back."

Mara shook her head. "Seven, listen to yourself. Your brain has hopped into an escape pod and gone bye-bye."

"Oh, like I should listen to you!" Seven said. "After you cut my leg off!"

Mara gaped at her. "When the hell did I do that?"

"On Vulcan!"

"I never met you on Vulcan!"

"You lured me into a trap and cut off my leg!"

"Goddammit, Seven! Why the hell would I lure Luke's ex-girlfriend to Vulcan so I can chop her leg off?!!"

"It was all part of your plan-"

"The plan was to pick up the Vulcan priest to get the Emperor out of my brain! That was the plan! What the kriff am I supposed to do with a Borg leg?! Turn it into a lamp?!"

Seven was panting, but she seemed to finally calm down. She looked at Mara, and she had to fight to avoid crying. "What's happening to me?" she said. "I'm losing my mind." She took a deep breath to calm down, but it didn't help. The stomach pain was even more intense, so much so that she thought she might vomit. She was dizzy, and she put a hand on the desk to keep hold of herself. "Mara..." she said as she screwed her eyes shut, then opened them again, "...help me..." She closed her eyes, and she felt like she was spun out of control.

Seven opened her eyes, and her office was gone. Instead she was in a prefab room, some kind of laboratory. She was strapped down onto a table, which was a very bad sign. "Seven?" said an aged, yet familiar voice. "Seven, can you hear me?"

Seven turned and looked with surprise into the face of her former captain. "Kathryn?" she said in shock.

"Oh thank God," Janeway said. "I was afraid it wouldn't work." She began undoing the straps that held Seven down. "I'm sorry for the intrusion, Seven, but you must understand how desperate I've become. You may be our last hope."

"Kathryn," Seven said, "what's happening? Last I heard, you died back on Earth during the final conquest."

"That was your reality," Janeway said, "not this one. I know this is a lot for you to take in, but I must move quickly. Bringing you here was an act of desperation."

Seven looked down at her body. "What did you do to me?" she demanded in quiet horror. It was like she'd aged thirty years!

"Seven, listen please." Janeway took her chin and lifted it. "Seven, your counterpart in this reality has turned against us. She's been aiding the enemy, and refusing to see reason. But I need you, Seven. Only you have the insights that can help us finally defeat the Borg once and for all!"

"The Borg?" Seven said in quiet horror. "They still exist here?"

"Yes," Janeway said bitterly. "And that's why I need you. I can't destroy them without you, Seven! They've become even more powerful here than the Empire; systems have been forced to give them materials and information to try to placate them, but it's just a stop gap measure. In time, they'll assimilate both galaxies, unless we stop them."

Seven took a deep breath and nodded grimly. "You know, Kathryn, that I'll do anything I can to wipe out the Borg."
Chuck

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

That BITCH......

Chuck, you are still a God.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

OK, it was a parrallel dimension...

I was thinking it was an illusion the oracle was feeding in to the real Seven's brain to make her help the oracle with some really tricky temporal stuff.

But this is also cool...
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

Have I ever said that I really, really dislike that whore Janeway? Just checking. Nice chapter.

CERC
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Why. Isn't. Janeway. DEAD.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

It seems there's consensus on the Janeway issue. :)
Chuck

CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

Sonnenburg wrote:It seems there's consensus on the Janeway issue. :)
while this is probably true, we all feel the need to keep pointing it out.... over, and over..... and over.... lol.

CERC
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I'm torn. I really can't decide between two means of expressing myself, as I have too much attachment to both ideas.

So which song should be twisted to serve as Janeway's theme song, Corky and the Juicepigs 'The Pandas Must Die', or 'We'll hate him, hate him, hate him till they crate, him, crate him, crate him' from the Drew Carey Show.

I think that I'm going to adopt a new tradition in fact, and end every post on this board with 'And Kill Janeway Already'.

Fantastic job, in any case. Sanity has been restored, I was worried that some obnoxious merging of two timelines was going to occur.

And Kill Janeway Already. :P
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Holy SHIT dude, nice twist. BEAUTIFUL twist. I did NOT see that coming. *applause*

And Kill Janeway Already!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

consequences wrote:Fantastic job, in any case. Sanity has been restored, I was worried that some obnoxious merging of two timelines was going to occur.

And Kill Janeway Already. :P
LOL Thanks!
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:Holy SHIT dude, nice twist. BEAUTIFUL twist. I did NOT see that coming. *applause*

And Kill Janeway Already!
Thanks you. It's about time I put Seven on the bad guy's side. :)
Chuck

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I can easily ascertain that Sebastian is desperately lonely. That is true. But that's not because of what is written, but how it is written. The tone of Sebastian's segments is very lonely indeed, and I just wanted to compliment you on that.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:I can easily ascertain that Sebastian is desperately lonely. That is true. But that's not because of what is written, but how it is written. The tone of Sebastian's segments is very lonely indeed, and I just wanted to compliment you on that.
Thank you. It's been very challenging trying on the one hand to not making him annoyingly self-pitying, but on the other to accept the reality that he has been stripped of everything that was important to him yet still has to try to appear like the leader the Alliance needs him to be.
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Great twist, and your writing of the evil bitch Janeway makes it all the more enjoyable. And I did like the Sebastion bit to how truly down he is. Gives more the impression that his life is just that and that alone.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete