Hairspray is Love -- Art Thread 4 (56k erk)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The comic book ones look really authentic, an extreme amount of artistic kudos, there. :D I also like the shiny fabrics in the DC pic, shiny clothes = win. Only thing that bothered me, the guy in the main DC pic... his arms look like they have too many muscles, so what am I missing there?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Rye wrote:The comic book ones look really authentic, an extreme amount of artistic kudos, there. :D I also like the shiny fabrics in the DC pic, shiny clothes = win. Only thing that bothered me, the guy in the main DC pic... his arms look like they have too many muscles, so what am I missing there?
Which? Selia, in the back (with the long, pale hair)? Those aren't muscles --she has fins on the side of her arms and legs :). *chatters*

If you're talking about Hoquer, in gray, then the answer is no. His muscles are laid out correctly.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Quick question: why is Selia wearing a blinfold?
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Kuja wrote:Quick question: why is Selia wearing a blinfold?
It's representative of her difficulty in analyzing the value of different aspects of situational circumstances. Owing to her power, veneration, and greater responsibility, she must be extremely careful not to err. Unfortunately, she is only azzarn --capable of trangressions as simply as anyone else: as blind as blind in the deeper ways of the world.

Oh, I'm just kidding. It's because it looked cool :D! Blindfolds are awesome, kind of like bands, belts, earrings, and boots with the ends cut off of them. And men in skirts! *dance!*
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:It's representative of her difficulty in analyzing the value of different aspects of situational circumstances. Owing to her power, veneration, and greater responsibility, she must be extremely careful not to err. Unfortunately, she is only azzarn --capable of trangressions as simply as anyone else: as blind as blind in the deeper ways of the world.

Oh, I'm just kidding. It's because it looked cool :D! Blindfolds are awesome, kind of like bands, belts, earrings, and boots with the ends cut off of them. And men in skirts! *dance!*
*laughs*

I was hoping to see her eyes in full color. :wink: Ah well, some other time, maybe.
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

ww...
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Awwwwww!

For two ladies that is sooooooo cute :luv:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Awwwwww!

For two ladies that is sooooooo cute :luv:
I draw crap like this between everyone and everything all the time :P. I just posted this one because the last one I did of these two was crap! This one's kind of fuzzy-wuzzy poofoo :P.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Understandable. Gutting your practice partners is tiring work, believe you me.

:P
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Desunius is such a sweetheart. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

*howls*
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Wyrm wrote: Too bad I have a bajillion other things to read of higher priority (and the fact that the Dark Councilors link didn't seem to make the migration to my new computer *hint hint*), I'd read all of the chapters that are availible.
I just realized I forgot to respond to this!

The links to the story are always in the Fanfic section now, under "Dark Councilors" :).

----

Thanks to all commenting on Desunius and Ryvara! :luv: :luv: Do you think that would make a good finished picture if I fixed it a bit and inked it up?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Do you think that would make a good finished picture if I fixed it a bit and inked it up?
Yes. Yes I do. :wink:

As an aside, how tall is Desunius supposed to be? She looks rather large compared to Ryvara, even considering their age difference.
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:
Do you think that would make a good finished picture if I fixed it a bit and inked it up?
Yes. Yes I do. :wink:

As an aside, how tall is Desunius supposed to be? She looks rather large compared to Ryvara, even considering their age difference.
That's something I'd have to fix slightly (easy stuff since Ryvara's neck is too long. Just bring up the torso and lengthen the legs, since those feet have no detail anyway *yammer yammer*). The size difference is too great, but not that bad, actually. Desunius is the *blather blather* ...third?... oldest character, so I think she's about two heads higher than Ryvara.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I think that'd make a great finished picture, Pick. Also, third oldest seems about right, versus Umber and Hoquer, assuming she wasn't a child around the time of the Black "I'm a total badass, even though I haven't actually appeared" King; which means she could be tossing up with Selia.
What is Project Zohar?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ford Prefect wrote:I think that'd make a great finished picture, Pick. Also, third oldest seems about right, versus Umber and Hoquer, assuming she wasn't a child around the time of the Black "I'm a total badass, even though I haven't actually appeared" King; which means she could be tossing up with Selia.
Yeah, that's the only reason I had to pause. I had to think whether or not she was older than Selia, but if I recall she's actually significantly older (I think Gerunda was taken about 1,400-1,600 years ago which actually puts her significantly younger than Desunius, but nevertheless the fouth oldest.) The backstory stuff happens so long ago that the dates are pretty flexible (except for Edge's ascension which I put at 784 years before present.) Really, other than Edge's promotion, most of the dates aren't really essential to be completely accurate as long as I get the general timeline :lol:.

Edit- Also, Dea of the Crag and the Black King were both mentioned in Chapter 2. Bet you didn't remember that 8). (just Alder running through names of scary things that he associated with Nyskaedium.)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Yeah, but, but! He hasn't actually appeared, you know? [/cop-out]
What is Project Zohar?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

:P Well I'll make sure that he appears in a flashback, okay? :)
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Yay!

Again, nice sketches (hehe, little squirt). The last one seems a bit weird, but that's because it's a sketch missing the hair. And why does Edge wear but one shoe?
What is Project Zohar?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ford Prefect wrote:Yay!

Again, nice sketches (hehe, little squirt). The last one seems a bit weird, but that's because it's a sketch missing the hair. And why does Edge wear but one shoe?
Edge hates shoes. That's actually canon: he doesn't wear them most of the time. Only when Verdigris makes him, such as on formal occasions (mostly because it's all but pointless in a lacking-pointy-things-to-step-on kind of city.) I still wanted to draw one, though, so there it is! Artistic decisions rule.

As for the last one looking weird, it's probably because of the tone imbalance in the picture as a result of --exactly as you said--almost no shading or detail in the hair, which is usually the darkest part. :)
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:Edge hates shoes. That's actually canon: he doesn't wear them most of the time.
The infamous duke of venality, countless years old, effective ruler of Syvoria, unmatchable in combat...and he's gonna get nailed by a hookworm. I can see it now. :lol:
JADAFETWA
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Edge is not a villian, damnit!
I'm still not quite buying that. :P

In any event, both are quite good, although the close-up one does make me wonder; how does Edge stand to have all of his eyes open at once? Brushing up against things in a certain way might end up being rather... painful. :P
The Rift
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Kuja wrote:The infamous duke of venality, countless years old, effective ruler of Syvoria, unmatchable in combat...and he's gonna get nailed by a hookworm. I can see it now. Laughing
I guess Verdigris will have to go get some tablets the vet and sneak them into his food. :wink: :luv:

Sure, people get hookworm too, but this would be way cheaper. :D (*Hyral's stamp of approval*)
Noble Ire wrote:
Edge is not a villian, damnit!
I'm still not quite buying that. :P

In any event, both are quite good, although the close-up one does make me wonder; how does Edge stand to have all of his eyes open at once? Brushing up against things in a certain way might end up being rather... painful. :P
... to whomever happens to be near him at the time, you mean? :angelic:

More seriously, though,... they don't see, they don't feel. None of the signals from the eyes reach his brain. He can poke them, stab them, or tear them out and not feel a thing.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Pick wrote: Edge hates shoes. That's actually canon: he doesn't wear them most of the time. Only when Verdigris makes him, such as on formal occasions
If you're still taking suggestions on what to draw, I think it would funny to see Verdi telling Edge to put on some shoes; and him being all pouty and anti-shoe. It'd be funny, in my opinion.

Mind you, I think it's funny when every man and his dog can pop planets like pimples, but hey.
What is Project Zohar?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Pick wrote: Edge hates shoes. That's actually canon: he doesn't wear them most of the time. Only when Verdigris makes him, such as on formal occasions
If you're still taking suggestions on what to draw, I think it would funny to see Verdi telling Edge to put on some shoes; and him being all pouty and anti-shoe. It'd be funny, in my opinion.
If I didn't think it was funny, it wouldn't be part of the story 8).

Of course, you should see Selia trying to get Hoquer to wear something other than his lone shorts :P.