Music you like that's embarrassing?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Music you like that's embarrassing?

Post by Utsanomiko »

I wagered there hasn't been a "what sort of (different spin on subject) music do you like" thread in a few weeks, but if that's not the case I owe my hobo friends a whole half a ham sandwich.

It crossed my mind while looking through my favorites list on Pandora that I've developed rather amusing tastes in music in the past year or so, in that stuff that I really flat-out enjoy admittedly looks pretty odd on paper, or at least would in the circles I last hung around. Just off the top of my head, some artists of which I like more than just one of their songs are:
  • A-Ha
    Erasure
    ZZ-Top
    Evanescence (Fallen is the only purchased album I own. Now if only those bandwagoners played Hello, Away From Me, or anything besides Bring Me To Life...)
    Autograph
    Depeche Mode (lotsa Depeche Mode)
    Laura Brannigan
    Neil Young (Each time I hear Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama I wonder why Southern Man wasn't played just to break the Alabama repetitiveness)
    Whitesnake
    Pat Benetar
    Soul Asylum (almost forgot about them)
    Martika
    Chicago (pretty much just Glory of Love and You're The Inspiration, oddly enough)
    Orchestral Maueuvers in The Dark
    Winger (wait, that Winger? Maybe...)
    Yaz
    Tryanglz (although I think two songs was all they ever did)
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Debbie Gibson
    Anything by David Bowie (everybody does, even if not admitedly)
    Anything by Cyndi Lauper (perhaps not everybody does)
    Haddaway (Am I the only one who's listened to Life Will Never Be The Same?)
    Madonna (more than I used to think I liked)
    Def Leopard
    Kim Wilde (Oh Kim, you came and changed the way I feel...)
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Shakira (I don't think this one fits here...)
    H.I.M
    Animotion (they did more than Obsession, thank you very much)
    Berlin
    Dead or Alive
    Captain Nemo by Sarah Brightman (:?)
Wow. I know I'm forgetting several artists and some variety, but this list probably says more as-is. Either my music is the last thing to bring up in an introduction or the first. You gotta admit it's at least consistent and rationalizable, but I could very well imagine a lot of jaws hitting the floor and that would be embarassing if I wasn't comfortable and assertive with what I like.

So what all do some of you like that could stop all conversation or just make you twiddle your thumbs and go "well, my tastes are a little... yeah"?
Last edited by Utsanomiko on 2006-04-19 01:38am, edited 1 time in total.
By His Word...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I... I don't know you any more.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I'll second a few of those, but man, get it right: Glory of Love was a Peter Cetera solo song, not Chicago. Sheesh. And how did you forget his The Next Time I Fall duet with Amy Grant? Anyway, I'll throw in;

The Eurythmics (sp?)
The King of Wishful Thinking by Go West
Savage Garden
Bananarama, especially Cruel Summer
Fozzy
Orgy
Toto
Utsanomiko wrote:Whitesnake
Whitesnake? I saw them with the Scorpions and Dokken a few years ago. They ripped shit up!

Ack...someone kill me now, please
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Hm. In general, I like classic hard rock, centering around the 70s... but then I have some weird outliers which would probably make people look at me funny:

Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
ZZ Top
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath/Ozzy
Metallica
...and so on... all reasonably normal, at least as normal as a rock/early metal junkie can be in this strange new millenium.

But then, I like classic 60s pop/rock:

(Jimi Hendrix again, was there anything this man couldn't do?)
The Doors
The Zombies
CCR
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Buffalo Springfield
The Boxtops
The Drifters
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
...and again, etc.

Startin' to get a little weird... then for the kickers:

90s electronica/techno in general
Kenny Loggins
Will Smith
Eminem
Haddaway - What is Love?
Scatman John (But hey, who doesn't like him?)
...and probably quite a few more.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Most of the music I like tends to be the instrumental tunes from video game, movie, and TV soundtracks. Some people might consider that embarrasing, but I don't.

Since it's already been brought up somewhat, I do dig a lot of the 80's synth stuff... A-Ha's "Take on Me", Yaz's "Situation", stuff like that. Maybe growing up with 80's-early 90's-era video games helped me develop a taste for electronic music. I dunno.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Don't be ashamed of Evanescence. Embrace it!
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Darth Quorthon wrote:I'll second a few of those, but man, get it right: Glory of Love was a Peter Cetera solo song, not Chicago. Sheesh.
Wiki has set me straight: Cetera split from Chicago in the '80s and did a bunch of solo stuff I like. A couple song listings gave me incorrect info, I was wondering why I kept hearing all this '70s band shit. :P

The more 'normal' stuff I listen to Nirvana, Bush, Foo Fighters, Radio Head, Green Day, the Beatles, and probably a few others I've lost among all the Depeche Mode blaring on my speakers. I'd include Hikaru Utada and Ayumi Hamasaki, but I haven't listened to J-pop regularly in a long while. And They Might Be Giants is an odd choice, but one to be damn proud of.
By His Word...
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I actually liked the song Dragostea din Tei before the internet fad (that the Numa Numa song for those that don't know)
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I'm not embarrassed about any of the music I like cause I don't care what others think about my music preferences.

More people should be like me I think ;) :P :lol:
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

People call me weried for listening to The Darkness, but eh, what do they know? :P
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I can probably name a number of anime songs that I generally consider embarassing, yet for some strange reason can't stop listening to.

My Pace, by Sunset Swish (Bleach 6th Ending)

Runba Runba, Megumi Hayashibara (i think. it's one of the slayers ops or eds).

Neko Mimi Mode, by Dimitri from Paris (Opening of Tsukuyomi Moon Phase).

Let me Be With You, fuck if I know who the artist is. (Chobits Opening theme. I detest the anime, but the theme is weirdly hypnotic.)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I don't see why anyone would be embarrassed by ZZ Top, since they rule.

However, I'm glad you brought up Soul Asylum, because they were doing Emo before it became a sport. Ah, Misery. It's sad when Weird Al takes your song and makes one ten times better.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

About the only ones I can think of that I might be slightly embarassed by are Winger, Madonna and Tom Jones.

The embarassment for listening to Winger is mostly because Bevis and Butthead had that annoying neighbor kid with the Winger t-shirt.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Enigma
Enya
Yanni

I despise them on principal, but goddamn it, the music just gets to me, and it pisses me off, while at the same time soothing me. WHY!?

I'm also the only one I know who likes the Blue Man Group, but after seeing them in concert, I consider them amazing.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

It's pathetic that I'm looking at 90% of the list wondering, "Why is that embarassing? I love them!"

:cry:
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

As an amendment, since I'm listening to it now, the 80's cheese of "The Final Countdown" by Europe has to count, since the only time I'm not embarassed to listen to it in public is when I'm trashed. But then it gets blasted :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Oh, I remembered one that I'm actually embarrassed of: Just Like A Pill by Pink. I enjoy the beat and the melodic repetition but it's really just another one of those damn radio songs.
By His Word...
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Would being able to sing Disney songs to myself count as embarrassing?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Surlethe wrote:Would being able to sing Disney songs to myself count as embarrassing?
Yes.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

All Girl Summer Fun Band, Slumber Party, The Buttersprites, The Catch, and B'ehl are Indie-Pop girl bands that I secretly listen to.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'm not embarrased by most of the music I like :P.

Though I do like Evanescence and some stuff by, of all people, *Raffi*.

I just have almost no sense of shame, that's all.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I'm pretty embarassed about liking:

Slipknot, it's always fashionable to hate slipknot, and their fans are fucking annoying.

Manowar, extremely homoerotic and cheesy.

Dragonforce, extreme cheese and formulaic lyrics.

Liking Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth is also pretty embarassing, since they both look just retarded and Dani Filth's vox are just awful.

Marilyn Manson and Korn, associated with the teeny bopper goth types.

That said, I still reserve my right to look down on Evanescence, Papa Roach and Linkin Park fans. :P
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

I'm not embarrased by the stuff I like.

Let's see, some stuff I like:

Bruckner (Te Deum, Synphonies)
Wagner (Parsifal, Lohengrin, der Ring des Nibelungen, Tannhäuser, etc)
Chopin (Piano Concertos, Nocturnes)
Mahler (Synphonies, Songs of a Wayfarer)
Richard Strauss (Also SPrach Zarathustra [ok, a bit cliché, but I still like it])
Bach (Magnificat, St Mathew's Passion, Cantatas)
Rachmaninoff (Mona Vanna, Piano Concertos, spiritual music)
Schubert (Piano Sonatas)
Rimsky Korsakov (Kashchei the Immortal, Musical Fairy Tales, Synphonies)
Mozart (Violin concertos)
Philip Glass (Akhnaten, Synphonies, Itaipu)

Also: Handel, Smetana, Dvorák, Gounod, Grieg, Beethoven, Bartók, Debussy, Dohnányi, Buxtehude, Puccini.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

You're a fucking wuss, Zentei. :P :lol:
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh