New music, current favorites, recent discoveries

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Joe
Space Cowboy

New music, current favorites, recent discoveries

Post by Joe »

In general what bands are you into, what have you recently discovered, etc.?

Right now I'm into UK indie-flavored rock; I really like the Arctic Monkeys (who I'll be going to see in June), Franz Ferdinand, and a fantastic band I just found called Hard-Fi; I can't stop listening to their Iraq war protest song, Middle Eastern Holiday in particular. On the domestic side I've enjoyed a few tracks off The Strokes' latest album, and I've completely been absorbed by Illinois by Sufjan Stevens.

I listen to lots and lots of classic rock, as well; Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs has me under its spell currently, as does Frank Zappa's We're Only In It For the Money.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Recently discovered:

Paragon and Gamma Ray - good power metal.

Secret Sphere - Great power/progressive metal that reminds me a lot of Dream Theater. I can't stop listening to their song Desire.

Arsis - shredding American black metal.

Pelican - excellent instrumental hard rock.

In general:
I like a pretty eclectic mix, and though my tastes usually drift towards metal, I also have extensive collections of classical, classic rock, and various "soft" genres. I love Enya and Loreena McKennitt. I also like Chopin, Wagner, Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. I also have a soft spot for oddball bands that very few others seem to like, such as Godflesh and Skrew. It all depends on my mood. I usually listen to metal at work to get the "adrenaline rush" and listen to the "softer" stuff at home to unwind. And my all-time five favorite artists haven't changed in a while; Rush, Bathory, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, and Rotting Christ.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Douglas Ladnier

Not By Design

Bonnie Mckee

Kari Kimmel

Knights of Crisis

i don't classify music very well. So here's links, see what you think*shrug*
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Sonata Arctica is my main new one. Since I discovered it, I haven't really looked for anything else. I absolutely adore their music.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

You just can't go wrong with an album by the Gorillaz.
Last edited by DPDarkPrimus on 2006-04-25 03:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

I recently got seriously into 70s Soul after picking up the Superfly soundtrack on a whim.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

PrinceofLowLight wrote:I recently got seriously into 70s Soul after picking up the Superfly soundtrack on a whim.
Curtis Mayfield fucking rocks. Check out the song Move On Up if you can find it. It's the song that Kanye West sampled for his current single.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I've been listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Blues Brothers recently, heh. Well, watching, youtube really is great.

I also rediscovered Morbid Angel recently, I fucking love that band, especially Gateways to Annihilation which is, in my opinion, probably their finest work and an all time DM great, along with Annihilation of the Wicked by Nile.

I also got a load of Rotting Christ recently, who are a chilled, doomy sort of black metal, very cool.

I got the silent hill soundtracks fairly recently, the songs with words in are generally crappier, but the ambient and voiceless songs are cool as hell.

Napalm Death's The Code is Red, Long Live the Code is cool as hell, especially the title track and Morale. Morale is a nice slow, sludgy death metal track (some might say too slow, but it's well within my tolerances), the title track has some top-quality riffs and good vocal timing. I can't believe it took me this long to get into ND... the trouble was their early stuff, which is grindcore and I generally dislike grind.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Most recent discovery has been Tree Wave, a duo that makes pop-ish tunes by combining female vocals and music created with 1970s and 80s video game and computer equipment. Here are legal MP3s of two of their songs: "May Banners" and "Sleep."

And of course, Boards of Canada still totally rule.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Old Peculier
Padawan Learner

Post by Old Peculier »

Music I've got into recently:

Mr. Scruff - Mancurian DJ
Maceo Parker - Funk/Soul Jazz Saxophonist
Average White Band - 70s and onwards Scottish funk band
Joe wrote:Frank Zappa
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Gorillaz.
Indeed

:Edit: I've seen both Mr. Scruff and Maceo Parker live, and plan on seeing AWB soon as well. 8)
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

For one, I've started to get much more into John Cage's works and checked out the scores to all three of his constructions. His stuff really seems to be doing it for me. Stockhausen also, but I need to get into it more.

I'm also starting to listen to this one up-and-coming artist whom I had the honor of sharing the bill with last week by the name of Fred Shafer. I highly recommend him. He's got strong rock attitude with the soul of a blues singer.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

I haven't really discovered anything other than Mastadon

Currently listening to

Simon & Garfunkel's greatest hits
Johnny Cash Legend
Sepultura Beaneth the Remains and Dante XXI
Tool 10,000 days although it is really disappointing but i am trying to give it a chance
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

No very recent discoveries (beyond reaffirming my love for Star Wars pieces). In general I like classic hard rock, starting with Jimi Hendrix and the Doors, moving on through the seventies with proto-metal like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath and finally early "true" metal like Metallica. And everything in between.

Currently I'm listening to a general Jimi disc; blues, progressive, hard, it's all good.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The last big acquisition was the Arctic Monkeys.

They really are that good. I think absolutely every track on their album is an utter killer, the lyrics are insane and fantastic, the guitars are raucous and shouty, and the whole thing just never tires or gets old.

I missed them playing in Nottingham a few weeks ago, sadly.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Vendetta wrote:The last big acquisition was the Arctic Monkeys.

They really are that good. I think absolutely every track on their album is an utter killer, the lyrics are insane and fantastic, the guitars are raucous and shouty, and the whole thing just never tires or gets old.

I missed them playing in Nottingham a few weeks ago, sadly.
The only problem I have with the Arctic Monkeys is that they are 2-3 years younger than I am.

I hope they have more success stateside, in any case. Just got my tickets, incidentally. At least they came here, those Franz Ferdinand fuckers evaded my state.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Bought a Nick Cave CD after hearing one of his songs in a home video. Have the "Murder Ballads" and greatest hits albums as of now, definitely cool stuff. "Red Right Hand" is grooby & fun in an sinister way.

Other than that I've just been filling the holes in my album collections, finally have Led Zeppelin I to IV, all but a couple Joe Satriani albums, most of the Hendrix ones, and so on.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Get Live at Monterey while you're on a Hendrix kick. His cover of Like a Rolling Stone is mind-blowing, and he does a great Killing Floor too.

Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Back in the day, my favorite rock groups were Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine. Nowadays that distinction belongs to Chris Cornell and the now mexican-nationlist-less Rage Against the Machine crew in Audioslave. :D

I loved God Lives Underwater's album, "Life in the so called Space Age" -- rock with a lot of electronic elements -- but my brother informed me the main singer died recently and they're no longer making music. :(
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Recently it's been Dragonforce and Nightwish.

They're pretty awesome, a nice operatic sound that's grown on me.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

My recent discovery is the Dresden Dolls. Their music is sort of frenetic and dark, and they use only piano and drums (on their first album, anyway; on the second one they use some sort of guitar and bass on two songs, I think). The best description of them that I've seen is "punk-piano-cabaret". Apparently they draw upon 1930s Weimar-era cabaret in their music; I know nothing about Weimar-era cabaret so I'm not sure. The lyrics are extremely strange; one of my favorite songs of theirs is about transvestites who get sex change operations and regret it later.

My other recent discovery is Thea Gilmore, whom I discovered thanks to Neil Gaiman (like Tori Amos, Thea is a good friend of Neil's). Her style borders on being simply girl-with-guitar-backup-and-some-drums, but the thing that sets her apart is her lyrics, which aren't really dark or cheerful or sappy... they're just different, and sometimes thought-provoking.

Of course, even with these new discoveries, my music listening habits still have a very strong base of classical music (mostly solo piano, but a little bit of the better-known orchestral stuff) as well as Tori-Amos sorts of things that work perfectly for a piano addict like me.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

I've recently rediscovered Type O Negative and Symphony X. Great bands.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Massive Attack (Mezzaine is an incredible album) and Tori Amos.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Joe wrote:
The only problem I have with the Arctic Monkeys is that they are 2-3 years younger than I am.

I hope they have more success stateside, in any case. Just got my tickets, incidentally. At least they came here, those Franz Ferdinand fuckers evaded my state.

Joe i'd imagine you'd like We are Scientists, if you like those two.

They're pretty damned good
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

My favorite album of 2006 so far has been "Nine Times That Same Song" by Love is All, a Swedish(or Norwegian) rock band.

I just saw Ladytron in Chicago last week and they were one of the best performances I've seen live (perhaps the best) so I've been listening to their album Witching Hour which came out last October, a lot.

There's quite a few new bands I've only started to listen to the past month.

I just recently got into The Herbaliser, an excellent british hip-hop group which had a CD just come out. I was so impressed, I bought all their previous albums.

I just started listening to my blues records lately (which I had previously ignored because I didn't have a working record player), specifically Tampa Red, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt and Leadbelly.

I just bought this techno album by Mirwais that came out in the 1990's which I think is excellent.

Partially because Keevan Colton mentioned him a few times, and one of my favorite bands Stereo Total mentioned him as one of their favorite musicians, and because I was impressed with one of his songs he did with Bran Van 3000, I've been listening to Momus too much. I don't usually pay much attention to lyrics, but his lyrics are astonishingly witty and he knows how to use clever minimalist electronica to go along with it.

Another musician mentioned by Stereo Total that I just started listening to is a French singer from the 50's and 60's named Juliette Greco. She has a really deep voice but her music doesn't sound that much dated and is quite unique. It may be a little show-tuney for most but some of her songs are quite moving.

My sister got me into The Go! Team which is upbeat electronica with powerful percussion, with a sound sort of like that Australian group Architecture in Helsinki.

There's also this rock revivalist band called Dengue Fever which I've been listening to a lot as well that I just discovered. They play 60's-style Cambodian rock&roll and have a a real Cambodian female singer who sings in Khmer.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Zac Naloen wrote:
Joe wrote:

Joe i'd imagine you'd like We are Scientists, if you like those two.

They're pretty damned good
They're actually opening for the Arctic Monkeys at the concert! Really looking forward to it.