New music, current favorites, recent discoveries

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I just started listening to my blues records lately (which I had previously ignored because I didn't have a working record player), specifically Tampa Red, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt and Leadbelly.
I've gotten into Robert Johnson recently also. Mind-blowing how far ahead of the curve that guy was.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've been listening to some of Lorena Mckennitt's music lately, and I'm loving it, especially songs like the "Mystic's Dream" and "Mummer's Dance." It's not new stuff, but it seems to complement well with listening to Coheed and Cambria, for some strange reason.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

This week I have been mostly listening to

Coheed And Cambria, Placebo, Disturbed and Deepdish.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Hmmm.. its difficult to work out what im liking at the moment.

I've basically got my entire collection randomly playing all the time.

But what as far as i can tell by my general reaction to these bands coming on..

Coheed and Cambria

The Demos for the Brand New album,

a bit of weezer

Sigur Ros

Patrick wolf

Mindless self indulgence

A tribe called quest

Finch

annd...

We are Scientists.

Just try and pin a label on me, i dare you :P
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

A genuine question for the Coheed and Cambria fans: why do you like them? I tried to listen to them and found them to be copying faith no more, only I found the vocalist to be intensely more annoying (and that fucking hair, ARGH!), with the instruments not being as good as their image implied.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Rye wrote:A genuine question for the Coheed and Cambria fans: why do you like them? I tried to listen to them and found them to be copying faith no more, only I found the vocalist to be intensely more annoying (and that fucking hair, ARGH!), with the instruments not being as good as their image implied.
Out of interest rye, which songs have you heard? To be honest, i like faith no more as well and can't really see the link at all. Faith no mores style changes so much though, im not sure which era your talking about ;)

Some songs are better than others. If you want i can point you in the direction of their better tracks.

When i was first introduced to them i was played a godawful track that im not even sure was on the album which i hated. didn't listen to them again till the last 9 months or so.

They are also getting better as the albums go on i think, and as the story develops (thats where the prog look comes in, all the albums are a connected story) if anything it seems like they are trying to be the next dream theater, except the drummer isn't as good.
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Zac Naloen wrote: Out of interest rye, which songs have you heard? To be honest, i like faith no more as well and can't really see the link at all. Faith no mores style changes so much though, im not sure which era your talking about
The only songs I've heard are the ones on the videos frequently played on the music channels. The first one I saw was that one with all the lightning and the double necked guitar, the second the one with the centaur and the mermaid.

I began to really hate the first one, because not only could I not see anything particlularly good about it, but they seemed to be being played every 15 minutes, across multiple channels.
Some songs are better than others. If you want i can point you in the direction of their better tracks.
Go for it. :)
They are also getting better as the albums go on i think, and as the story develops (thats where the prog look comes in, all the albums are a connected story) if anything it seems like they are trying to be the next dream theater, except the drummer isn't as good.
Hmmm, I'm wary of stuff like that, but I'll give them another chance before condemning them entirely. I just figured that bands usually put their best songs (or at least most catchy) forward as videos, and well, I thought they were sort of lame, but everyone else seems to love them. Like Trivium, and I really hate Trivium.
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Hah, thats cool. I really hate trivium too :P

Right, i have no idea what songs are on the music channels are i never watch them. one thing i do find however, i always prefer album tracks to the singles bands release. always.

One thing i didn't mention last post coheed are completely amazing live.

However these are the songs i recommend. i'll do one or two from each album.

I also recommend listening to them on the computer/stereo rather than watching them... from what i recall the videos are nothing special and he looks like an idiot.

right, heres my list

The suffering
Welcome Home
Cuts marked in the march of men
Everything evil
Blood Red Summer
Three evils
A favour house atlantic
Devil in jersey city
and finally
God send conspirator.

Thats gives you a couple of songs from each album.

Newest stuff is at the top so you probably recognise those. In fact those two may be the singles, i'm not sure.

Some may disagree with me on my choice of songs though ..
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I'm currently hunting down some of Apocalyptica's new stuff, some Jake Shimabakuro and also some Rhapsody
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Rye, it's not that I like every song by them. Far from it; I only like two songs on the In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth CD, and their latest cd has only 4 songs that I like, the two "Good Apollo" songs, "The Suffering," and "Welcome Home." All of them are pretty quick-paced.

As for the singer's voice, it may just be a personal preference; I actually like his voice. It's distinct, being one of the highest male lead voices I've heard in a long time.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Joe wrote:Get Live at Monterey while you're on a Hendrix kick. His cover of Like a Rolling Stone is mind-blowing, and he does a great Killing Floor too.
It's on my list, and the worst part of my "buy list" is that every time I get an item crossed off several more take its place. The list is getting pretty out of hand, I'd have to win the lottery or something to have a hope of shortening the damn thing.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The only Coheed and Cambria song I've ever heard was the cover they did of Motorin' and it was probably the most unintentionally hilarious thing I'd ever heard.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Rye wrote:A genuine question for the Coheed and Cambria fans: why do you like them? I tried to listen to them and found them to be copying faith no more, only I found the vocalist to be intensely more annoying (and that fucking hair, ARGH!), with the instruments not being as good as their image implied.
Something in my just responds to the music. The first Coheed And Cambria song i heard was The Suffering. Something about it just gave me the chills. I then went and proceded to get my hands on every Coheed track i could get . Some of it sucks, but thats what the next track button is for. I liked Faith No More and still miss them. Just because a band are following another bands style doesn't make them a bad band.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

A bookstore in my area was playing some fun sounding folk songs which were vaguely familiar in a weird way, so I asked what it was and that's how I discovered Sarah Harmer.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Actually, I recently ran into Aeternitas and Edenbridge too, and they're both exceptional. I like Edenbridge much better, though. Fantastic symphonic metal with great female vocals.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Feist is amazing. I'd never heard of them until yesterday when I dropped into a local café and heard this really groovy upbeat tune which then led into a down-tempo and sad but hopeful song. The singer, Leslie Feist, has an amazing voice which effortlessly flows through every style on the album from sad love songs to soul grooves and silly little ditties. The Reminder has become my fave album of the year.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm back on Rush, whom I love, but I hadn't put them on the computer until last week. Love those crazy Canucks.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Guns N' Roses (any song)
Mylene Farmer - Peut-être toi
Nena- 99luft Balons
Guilty Gear soundtracks
any type of jazz
Jimi Hendrix Fire and Purple Haze

Pretty much all I listen too (since I don't really liked music)
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I have been getting into soundtracks, with the Bourne soundtracks being the most recent. I also listen to Lustmord every night while lying in bed. My current favorite will have to be TOOL and their album "Lateralus".
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

My tastes have been slowly diversifying from pure electronica - although, having said that, I didn't really get into Ladytron until last year.

The Initial D soundtrack stuff by Move, not the bastardised Tokyopop crap, isn't half bad either.

Some of Pharao's stuff gets played for a bit of variety.

Bexta, PPK, Rammstein, VNV Nation, and the late John "Scatman" Larkin are also among artists who I like and add to whatever playlist is running on occasion (admittedly, for the Scatman, his earlier stuff, not his later success in Japan).
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

http://www.myspace.com/theacaciastrain

The acacia strain - deathcore at its finest, better than jfac in my opinion. The song 4x4 is ace.

http://www.myspace.com/aborym666 Aborym are also cool, but not quite as cool as they should be. The default song that plays is one of their better ones, though.

http://www.myspace.com/nkgb dark, doomy and evil as all fuck. Listen to "Sloboda".

I've also been listening to psyclon nine a lot recently.
Last edited by Rye on 2007-08-06 04:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Acid Bath is my most recently discovered "favorite band". NOLA sludge metal, and they just have an incredible style. (Youtube link here, ignore the video and just listen

Oasis, British rock. Doesn't need an introduction, I think.
High Rise, Japanese Psychedelic rock. There's a few videos on YouTube, but the quality is poor.
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead, categorized in what most people loosely define as post-rock.
Red Sparowes. Instrumental rock.
Godflesh. Industrial.

My tastes in music have grown a bit softer lately.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Two recent discoveries and acquisitions:

First is Marry Me, the first album by Annie Clark, an indie pop musician who goes by the stage name St. Vincent. Caught a play of her single "Paris is Burning" on NPR during the drive home after seeing Transformers, did some poking around online, and preordered the album within the next day or so.

Even more recent, last week my copy of the most recent album of Coyote Poets of the Universe, Unmistakable Evidence came in. They describe themselves as being "progressive, psychedelic, and nu-jazz," and I became aware of them when the local public jazz radio station played the album a couple of times as the "Midnight CD." It's kind of semi-ambient instrumental tracks and the same with eclectic, "theatre of noise" style spoken-word poetry, and thought it was cool enough to eventually pick it up.

Finally, this isn't a new discovery since I really discovered them about a couple years back, but for some reason Amazon is listing Queen of Japan's (a unique German rock cover band) last album, Foreign Politics as being for sale.

It's like $30 as an import and 3-4 weeks to ship out, but what the hell, it's worth a shot because as best as I can tell, their stuff is absolutely impossible to find in the US.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Feist is now featured in the iPod Nano ads, I saw it on TV for the first time a few days and went looking for an online link. Pretty neat!

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

My current band-of-the-moment is Muse. Black Holes and Revelations is a fantastic album. The fact they are one of the few local bands to make it big is doubleplus good, heh.

Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs are always on my play list, as well. Other than Ruby.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0