A new weapon that Star Trek could use

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

guyver
Padawan Learner

A new weapon that Star Trek could use

Post by guyver »

Hi guys and Gals,

If Starfleet ever used a Phase Cloak Genesis Torpedo and fired it at a Star Destroyer and than de-cloaked it inside the ship what would happen?

Would this be a useful weapon for Starfleet??

Granted I know they would never build it but would it work?
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

not a bad idea

Post by Col. Crackpot »

that could be interesting. personally i think the best way is to strap a phase cloak to an antimatter transport and fly it into the solar ionization reactor, although the genisis torpedo could use the same plan of attack, fly right for the reactor dome.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I see no reason why it wouldn't work although not alot is known about the phase cloak.

However why bother with that one or two high yield torps could probably do the same to the inside of an ISD anyway(with a phase cloak no I wasn't saying two normal torps could take out an ISD, honestly you people :roll: :P :twisted: ) .
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

TheDarkling wrote:I see no reason why it wouldn't work although not alot is known about the phase cloak.

However why bother with that one or two high yield torps could probably do the same to the inside of an ISD anyway(with a phase cloak no I wasn't saying two normal torps could take out an ISD, honestly you people :roll: :P :twisted: ) .
ONLY if those two torps exploded inside the main reactor. there is no way in hell an ISD would be destroyed by two regular feddie torpedoes even if they expoded internally, there are two many redundant systems and not enough power in 2 torps.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
guyver
Padawan Learner

Post by guyver »

That is true but the idea is to kill the ISD as fast as you can. The Genesis device would guarantee the kill.
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well the depends upon the firepower fed torps contain but hitting critical system is what I was thinking about.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

TheDarkling wrote:Well the depends upon the firepower fed torps contain but hitting critical system is what I was thinking about.
You could hit some systems that would impair the combat capability but nothing the would cripple it right away.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

For some reason I'm seeing imperial smack down in this thread in the near future....
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

It works IF a phased cloak object can bypass Imperial shields and IF Genesis isn't lost technology (though an antimatter warhead might work, if fired at the reactor). Both assumptions are pretty generous, from what I've read.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

RedImperator: Its a "What if thread" so we aren't taking into account that both seem to be lost tech.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: A new weapon that Star Trek could use

Post by Ted C »

guyver wrote:Hi guys and Gals,

If Starfleet ever used a Phase Cloak Genesis Torpedo and fired it at a Star Destroyer and than de-cloaked it inside the ship what would happen?

Would this be a useful weapon for Starfleet??
An amusing, but ultimately futile question, since both are lost technologies.

I suppose there's a chance that the Federation (or Romulans or Klingons) may someday re-discover the interphase generator, though. If applied to a weapon, it could potentially be quite effective, since I don't think a starship of any major franchise could be expected to survive a multi-megaton internal explosion.

Unfortunately, I'd say it's lifespan as an effective weapon would be brief. We already know that people who have been "phase cloaked" by an interphase generator are still affected by some forces. Geordi and Laren, for instance, could walk through walls in "The Next Phase", but they didn't sink through floors. They were also still affected by the ship's artificial gravity. Presumably either of these forces (artificial gravity or whatever field in the floor was giving them support and traction) could be adapted to defend a ship against such weapons.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well we know the phase cloak has a phasing rate so its possible that Geordi and Ro's phasing rate wasn't set high enough (not to mention it wasn't a true phase cloak and the transporter was invovled).