Most irritating vocalist

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Pick wrote:Whoever sings that song that goes, "You're BEAUTIFAHL, you're BEAUTIFAHL, it's TROOOOOOO" that teenage girls seem to want to listen to obsessively.
Some company's using that song in their commercials up here, it wasn't too bad the first few times around but after a couple weeks...well...I've got my channel change reflex down to under half a second now...
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Billy Corgan - makes Barney sound like a blues singer.

Steve Grimmett (Grim Reaper) - See you in heeeeellllllllllllllllllllllll!

Celine Dion - I just don't like her.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Pick wrote:Whoever sings that song that goes, "You're BEAUTIFAHL, you're BEAUTIFAHL, it's TROOOOOOO" that teenage girls seem to want to listen to obsessively.

Fucking drives me up a wall.
That would be James Blunt. Join me in my quest to destroy him.
I actually feel sorry for the man. He's stated that he wishes he'd never wrote the damn thing, he's so sick of it being used for everything.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I wish he'd never written it, too.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Chris Wolstenholme from Muse. Every time I hear his whimpering, whining voice, I want to smack him.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Dixie Chicks, for one thing. I am convinced they cannot sing, unless one stretches the definition of 'singing' to include some random screetchy bitches one might find at Denny's. I've fortunately not heard them in years, but I vaguely recall the only piece I could ever stomach turned out to be a cover or assisted by real singers in somesuch manner. Everything else was animal noises to me.

The B-52s annoy me a bit for vaguely similar reasons, excluding the inability-to-sing remark. Haven't heard Barbara Streissand sing anything that didn't make her sound unpleasant, as well.

I'll have to put Blunt on my list, now that I know who he is. I believe I've heard two songs of his and had been thinking 'man, Rod Stewart must have lost his touch and gone really pop'.

Guns 'N' Roses. Wuhhhaaaaahhhhh-woooohaaaahhh! I don't get it.

And while I like a bit of Bjork's music, I wish she wouldn't sing with all that molasses in her mouth.

I cannot recall the name of the artist, but there's some squeaky, nasally little tart who chirps about trains and children and shit, as well as doing a version of Jolene that doesn't hold a candle to the range and depth Dolly Parton put into it. I expect my brother Spanky to soon pop in to inform me of her name, as well as protest my opinion with some blunt or sarky retort.

That's about it for now.
By His Word...
BloodAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by BloodAngel »

Mudvayne. And any other death/heavy metaller that sounds like someone who put too much testosterone in their morning coffee and thought it would make a rad singing voice.

Makes me actually LIKE hip-hop; think of the alternatives people could be blasting from their cars!
Blood Angel, the Hidden Name of Who You Know.

Zadius: "Done. I get turned on by shit. Nothin' else. 8)"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

According to the link in my sig, I listen to Cradle of Filth most of all, which is odd, because I hate, hate, HATE Dani Filth's fucking screechy voice. I love the rest of their instruments, and Dani's lyrics are very very good. Full of puns and double entendres, with loads of references to Lovecraft, the Maquis De Sade, the Bible, vampires, witchcraft, and Clive Barker's Midian, but fuck, his vocals are awful.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Pick wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote: I'll throw my lot in there too. Honestly one of the worst singers ever, and my mom says she's "grown used" to his song and kind of thinks its "beautiful".
See, this is why I think it's critical that you like a song the first time around. If repitition is the only thing that can save it, then there is something fundamentally wrong, aka, it blows.
Eh, I don't know. I thought Tori Amos's music was mediocre the first time I heard her, and now I'm addicted to nearly everything she's done.

As for the rest, I can see how people would find all of the mentioned singers annoying, but I don't mind them so much myself (even James Blunt). I seem to have a very high tolerance for "weird" voices. (Which is weird, because I'm a damn snob in all other areas of music.) But Rufus Wainwright's voice really grates on my ears, which annoys me because I like everything else about his music. I just can't listen to him for more than a song at a time.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I grew up in an Opera House, but I love rock. Go figure. Be that as it may, It helps me spot "notes" from "ass" a lot of the time.

Spears -- Nasal Intonalities are a personal annoyance.

Mariah Carry (I spelled it wrong on PURPOSE!) -- I don't care WHAT her vocal range is, there's a point where it just turns into a painful screech, and she insists on sharing this "Talent" with the rest of us. Un-Fucking Believable!

Finally: all singers who cannot properly enunciate their own words: If We can't understand what your saying, you're message will be LOST.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Utsanomiko wrote:I cannot recall the name of the artist, but there's some squeaky, nasally little tart who chirps about trains and children and shit, as well as doing a version of Jolene that doesn't hold a candle to the range and depth Dolly Parton put into it. I expect my brother Spanky to soon pop in to inform me of her name, as well as protest my opinion with some blunt or sarky retort.
Mindy Smith, I believe, although I frankly wouldn't call her nasally.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

aerius wrote:Mariah Carey. The vocal equivalent of senseless guitar wanking. Using 50 notes to sing what should be a one syllable word gets stupid pretty fast. Even worse is that a whole bunch of aspiring singers thought it was cool and started imitating her.
She's not even senseless guitar wanking. Unless one defines a guitar n00b randomly and talentlessly picking chords as fast as possible to be "wanking." Mariah Carey's "singing" style puts into my mind a mental image of someone randomly delivering painful electrical shocks to her genitals while she's singing.

And yes, a lot of aspiring singers have picked up on it too, but only to disguise the fact that they actually have approximately zero vocal talent and are more packaging than substance.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Who was the singer for Nirvana? The one that sings the song that has the ending part that sounds like "On and on, the song drags onnnn," repeat about 10 times. Kurt Cobain? I hate the sound of his voice.

I also hate the lead singing for Rage against the Machine. It doesn't even sound like he's really singing.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Zach De La Rocha is rapping rather than singing. He does sing to some extent in "Beautiful World" on Renegades, though.

I liked the description Garth Ennis had in Preacher for Kurt Cobain's singing, though, "he might sound like he has down's syndrome, but..." hahah.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Post by mjn6172 »

Mariah freaking Carey. I just can't stand her voice, it just grates on my ears. Celine Dion and Cher are also pretty unpleasant, but neither one is as bad as Mariah.
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Majin Gojira wrote:Finally: all singers who cannot properly enunciate their own words: If We can't understand what your saying, you're message will be LOST.
Personally I like early R.E.M. albums where Michael Stipe mumbles the words, and which requires the song to be heard at least 20 times before you can figure out what half the words are.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I'll say Greenday, Blackeyed peas, Gwen Stefani (post no doubt), Celine Dion, and who ever that fundy country pop singer that my new boss loves (let us play some AC/DC or there will be wrath!!)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

aerius wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:Finally: all singers who cannot properly enunciate their own words: If We can't understand what your saying, you're message will be LOST.
Personally I like early R.E.M. albums where Michael Stipe mumbles the words, and which requires the song to be heard at least 20 times before you can figure out what half the words are.
also understanding Stones lyrics is an ART

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Who sang that song "What if God was one of us"? That song leaves my ears bleeding.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Zadius wrote:Who sang that song "What if God was one of us"? That song leaves my ears bleeding.
Joan Osbourne, although I wouldn't say she's vocally untalented or unappealing.

The song itself, however, is one of those silly radio songs that are liked more than they should be. Real simple, predictable melody with smarmy lyrics. But this isn't about songs we dislike.
By His Word...
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Utsanomiko wrote:
Zadius wrote:Who sang that song "What if God was one of us"? That song leaves my ears bleeding.
Joan Osbourne, although I wouldn't say she's vocally untalented or unappealing.

The song itself, however, is one of those silly radio songs that are liked more than they should be. Real simple, predictable melody with smarmy lyrics. But this isn't about songs we dislike.
I find it funny how everyone can sing the refrain of that song, but nobody knows how the rest of the song goes.

And so this post has something to do with the OP, it seems that a style of singing that sounds bad can come off as much, much worse if everybody on the radio sings just like it, with no variation outside of people doing it badly or very badly.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Definately Mad Mariah Carey. At some points in songs it literally becomes painful to listen to. My older sister used to have a dog than ran out of the house when Carey came on the TV or radio.

Also never been too fond of is Courtney Love. She can't sing and shouldn't even try and pretend she can.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Celine Dione wins the irrritating/phony combo. Back when Katrina hit, she got on Larry King to give her sobbing, hysterical opinion. She was so upset she could barely sing a song on command for Larry's audience.

Edit:

Oh, and Kanye West. He's an asshole.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

Darth Raptor wrote:

Fucking drives me up a wall.
That would be James Blunt. Join me in my quest to destroy him.
High five!!! :evil:
+http://eclectech.co.uk/gullible.php
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Why didn't I think of Smash Mouth before? Must have blocked it from my mind.

That fucker sounds like Bob Dylan. Singing duet with a leaf-blower. Bwaaahhhh-woh-woh-wah-wahk-whoaaaahk! is all I hear.

Also agree with Courtney Love. How revolting. Celine Dion also wins my phony award, and most of her songs just aren't that special to listen to more than once.
By His Word...