Most irritating vocalist

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

I've always thought Tom Keifer of Cinderella sounded like someone strangling a cat. :(
Kettch
Padawan Learner

Post by Kettch »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: Oh, and Kanye West. He's an asshole.
The question is not personality, but the anoyance level of the singing. So what is it about his music that anoys you?

OK, alot of the pop music I'm not exposed to on a regular basis. But here are the following term annoyances:

Le Mis & Phantom: Freshman year roommate had four albums of this damn Musical. (2 doubles & 2 quads) I can't stand that damn barracade song. And if he some how got bored, I got to hear about the Phantom of the Opera..

Nightwish & Cruxshadows: My brother is big into them, but I've always found Nightwish to be jarring & I've never dug the singer's voice. Crux sounds to me like teenage wanabe w/ a MIDI board.

Dave Matthews: Like LeMis I was OK w/ him in the beginning. But then I got hit w/ repeatition hell when DMB come to town in the summer of 1998. A local radio station played them 72 hours over the weekend when he was in Hartford for Camp David. (I know people who work at the Meadows where they do the DMB concerts in Hartford. It is one of two full staff days due the security concerns, violence & rioting. The other is Ozzfest & that according to my friends is just due to the number of artists & alternate stages, not the violence of the crowd). Yet some how I dated a girl who was a DMB fan for 2 years. I gues it was good that she's a bigger U2 & Josh Ritter fan. I got more grief from repetative playing from my other brother. Then his computer went on the fritz, and my brand new 120 GB was sullied DMB music that he backed up.

Barbara Streisand: Parents. And its that greatest hits CD. Please send in clowns with chainsaws.

Abba: An even worse one than BS. See you don't go to a club, start grinding w/ a girl and have them start playing BS. But some dumb ass DJ will decide to play G** D*MN D*NCING F*CK M* *P THE *SS W*TH A RAZOR TIPPED>> ah well you get what I mean. Its like a feel an icey hand grabing my lower spine & twisting. It can really break the mood.
Kettch
Padawan Learner

Post by Kettch »

Discombobulated wrote: But Rufus Wainwright's voice really grates on my ears, which annoys me because I like everything else about his music. I just can't listen to him for more than a song at a time.
First time I knowningly saw him was a concert w/ Ben Folds (no Five) and Guster. He was the last act & the accoustics had been tweeked for the other artists, and his voice just came out ... wrong. It was like his odd voice was run through a distortion filter. I felt bad for him, especially because the crowd came for the other two acts. He would have been better as an openner. But yeah, it was an even more vocally odd experience.
Mr. T
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. T »

A Canadian group called Simple Plan. Those kids voices sound as if they were castrated.
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? "
-Abraham Lincoln

"I pity the fool!"
- The one, the only, Mr. T :)
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

There's a guy in one of my classes who laughs at everything he says. It's not even a laugh, it's one of those huff-laugh things where he expels all the air in his lungs whenever his brain encounters a punctuation mark. People have failed to laugh at his comments for the entire semester. He just won't stop.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It's Les Miz (Les Miserables)
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

Darth Wong

My vote goes to Peabo Bryson. It's not bad enough that he sounds like he just got kicked in the nuts, but his voice wavers in and out as if someone is rapid-cycling the volume control from 1 to 10 every second

GASP! :shock: Darth Wong, do you not have any style... Peabo Bryson has a smooth silky voice that is renouned world-wide. You must have never heard songs like "Feel the fire" "If ever you in my arms again" and " Reaching for the Sky".

For me it would be

Many R&B stars of today, damn none of them can sing, there songs are one-note noise not worthy of even elevator music and the radio stations repeat them non-stop.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

James La Brie (Dream Theater)

Sounds okay when recorded, but unbelieveably screechy and irritating live.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Jack Johnson. He sings like the fighting game player that presses the same button over and over again until his opponent throws the controller at him.
The Yosemite Bear wrote:Blackeyed peas
I'm quite convinced that all their tracks are missing the lead vocals and that they turned up the background vocals hoping no one would notice.
:D
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Hansi Kürsch on any album after "Imaginations From The Other Side" and that guy in Rhapsody as well as pretty much any "R'n'B" star.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Spyder wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:Blackeyed peas
I'm quite convinced that all their tracks are missing the lead vocals and that they turned up the background vocals hoping no one would notice.
What happened with the Blackeyed Peas is tragic: trading in any talent and credit they had so they could sleep on giant piles of money.

I used to like the old Blackeyed Peas, but now I wish I could erase "My Humps" from my brain...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Oh yeah, almost forgot that one. The Cruxshadow's lead singer (He calls himself Rogue, doesn't he?) is really bad. I still like their music, however.

And seriously, though, anyone who objects to Tarja's voice from (former) Nightwish is insane. Period.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kettch
Padawan Learner

Post by Kettch »

Pick wrote:Oh yeah, almost forgot that one. The Cruxshadow's lead singer (He calls himself Rogue, doesn't he?) is really bad. I still like their music, however.
You, know your right. I wonder if I can get a kerioki version. (screw the spelling).
Pick wrote:And seriously, though, anyone who objects to Tarja's voice from (former) Nightwish is insane. Period.
Would you like to see the certification?

My problems w/ Tarja's voice is how she uses it. Its over the top opera sining. Maybe she needed to do that to compete w/ the guitars, but there are much better ways to combine female vocals w/ rock & metal. See Laucuna Coil. (spelling, see above.)