Dawn of Forever, Part XXXI-XLIX

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XLVI

Sebastian saw Janet's expression. "You have something to say?"

Janet just stared at him in shock. Since she'd been brought in as his assistant he'd always had one bad leg, and never showed any sign to want to lose it. She knew exactly what he was planning. "Frankly, you can't be serious."

"I am serious, and don't call me 'frankly.'"

"It is your intention to go to the Vong planet personally?" the Queen asked.

"Yes," Sebastian said. "With my leg replaced with a cybernetic one, I'll be more than ready for any resistance."

"But there's no way off the planet!" Janet protested. "You'll die!"

"But the war will be over," Sebastian said.

"Prefect, we need you," Janet said firmly.

"I agree that the continued existence of the Alliance is uncertain without your presence," the Queen said. "Are you certain you wish to do this?"

"You think I want to do this? You think I want to die?" He looked into Janet's face and must have read her expression. "I don't want to do this, but I have to."

"Anakin-"

"No!" Sebastian said. "I've made my decision." He turned back to the Queen. "You can install the replacement limb you were going to before, yes?"

"We'll have the assimilation chamber prepared, prefect," the Queen said.

"Good, I'll be in my office when you're ready."

Sebastian turned to leave. Janet tried interceding, but he held up a finger and gave her a look, and she relented. He left, and Janet turned to the Queen. "We can't let him do this," she said firmly.

"He's made his decision," the Queen said.

"He's not thinking rationally!"

The Queen stared at her. "Do you think we do not know what this is about? Sebastian's thoughts were part of us for a long while... we know exactly what's going on. But he gave us back existence, he has provided the Borg with so much... we will deny him nothing, even if he desires to terminate his own life."

"I can't accept that," Janet said.

The Queen was silent for a time. "He is so very much his mother's son. There will only ever be Jorielle Sunspring Skywalker... you can never take her place."

"I don't want to!" Janet insisted, but she quickly relented. "I just..."

"You mean well," the Queen said. "But as I said, Sebastian is just like Seven of Nine was; he is incapable of forgetting. All your affections ever do is remind him of her... it is the price that comes with perfect recall, Janet. For Sebastian, it feels no different now than it did the day she died."

"So he'll just kill himself?!"

"You do not understand him," the Queen said. "He is not suicidal, he merely doesn't care any more. If he could escape alive, he would, but since he can't he will allow this to happen without further thought."

Janet shook her head, but it was clear she didn't like hearing this. "So," she said with emotion in her voice, "he'd rather be dead than with me. Rather be dead than let me take away the hurt." She swallowed. "That's a hell of a thing."

"Yes," the Queen said. "We understand exactly." Janet looked over at her. "Exactly."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Commander Greis walked into the captain's office as Annika worked a datapad. "Ah, commander, I have an unusual bit of work that requires your experienced leadership."

"A moment of your time, captain," he said, ignoring what she'd just said.

Annika set the datapad down. "My door's always open."

"Who the hell are you?"

Annika blinked. "Captain Seven of Nine, obviously. I thought the implants gave me away."

Greis forced an unpleasant smile to his face. "I served as XO under the captain for three years, and during that time I've learned two things. One is that the universe is held together with spit and bailing wire, and the other is that however much smarter she is than I am, I still know how she thinks." He leaned forward onto the desk. "Everything you've done is close, very close, so you obviously know her well too... alternate universe?"

Annika swallowed. She was never much of a poker player, and trying to outmuscle her XO would be dangerous. Her only hope was that he might stay on her side. "Yes," she admitted.

Greis nodded. "Terran resistance, fighting the Cardassian-Klingon Alliance?"

"No, civilian. Prisoner of a Sith, in fact, who destroyed the Empire."

"I hate him already."

"Her, actually." She filled him in on what little she knew. "I hope you understand why I kept you in the dark."

Greis nodded thoughtfully. "That's something the captain would do too." He thought about it. "Is there any way to switch you back?"

"I don't know," Annika said. "That's what this is all about." She held out a datapad and he took it. "I've been reading the reports your captain has written... it's a little humbling to see how much she's done in such a short time. I've barely made a dent, and time is wasting. That anomaly could be salvation, or it could be armageddon, I truly don't know." She seemed leery. "And that's unacceptable. So I've got to learn very, very fast."

Greis looked at the datapad. "Borg technology?"

Annika nodded. "Your team will be building a very special alcove for me, a cortical processing subunit. Fortunately your captain has the ability to form implants as I do, so I'll be adding some memory engrams into my brain. We're going to download everything she ever wrote into my head. Digesting it will take a little time, but within a fraction of the time you'll have as close to an expert as you're going to get."

"But captain," Greis said, "we don't know the first thing about Borg technology."

"Everything you need to build it using Imperial components is in there," Annika said. "Just please, please, be careful. Any mistakes could result in brain damage or death."

Greis took a deep breath. "Technically, I should report you to command and have you relieved," he said. He looked at the datapad. "Were you on the Enterprise?"

"Chief Science Officer," Annika said. "And I have Federation command training and experience. Aside of the Imperial training provided at the Emperor's command I actually have more experience than she had before she took over. In other words, I am reliable... though I admit-"

"You've been relying on me," Greis finished. "I noticed. You're not my Seven, but you're close enough for me to trust you for now, but I warn you," he held up his finger. "First sign that this Borg thing of yours is risking the ship and you're in a cell faster than you can say 'highly-localized disturbance in the space-time continuum.'"

"I can say that pretty fast," Annika said with a grin.

Greis smiled just a little. "Yeah, I've learned that over the years too."

Sebastian was working at his desk, trying to tidy up a few loose ends, though in truth he was hoping to not think about what was about to happen. For someone who'd had to replace three limbs already, it might have seemed odd that the fourth would be such an obstacle, but it was. It was the last human part... as broken as it was, it was still a piece of him, and he didn't want to lose it. But it would only be for a short while anyway; when the Enterprise was finished he'd be atoms regardless. Whether some were mechanical or not really wasn't going to make a difference, would it?"

Janet came in; he could tell she was uncertain of what she should do, but fortunately she'd been his assistant long enough to know when he needed her to be all business. "Just thought you'd like your updates, prefect," she said as she pulled out her datapad. "The hologram issue has been squared away for the moment; all hostilities will immediately cease."

"Good to hear," Sebastian said, leaning back in his chair.

"Also, the Cardassian’s petition has passed muster; you may sign off on it if you wish."

"Gladly," Sebastian said. "I'd rather have them on my side for a change." He submitted the approval. "What else?"

"A report from Ligalus II," Janet said.

"Oh yes, I'd almost forgotten." Ligalus II was an ideal world for growing Bacta, a commodity that had a great deal of trouble finding its way into this part of the galaxy. Sebastian had sent a delegation to invite them to join the Alliance to see that to fruition. "How's it going?"

Janet cleared her throat. "Not well, prefect." She paused a moment. "The Ligali have kidnapped one of the delegates."

"What?"

"Apparently as a matter of 'personal honor,' prefect."

Sebastian shook his head. "Well yeah, it would be, wouldn't it."

"And according to their sacred laws, the two must battle to the death."

"Oh Christ..." Sebastian pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Any attempts to intervene will be construed as a matter of cultural dishonor and the negotiations will certainly fail."

Sebastian shook his head slowly, his hand never moving. "I hate this kriffing quadrant," he muttered.

"How would you like to proceed, prefect?"

"Have the Enterprise blow up one of their moons, let's see if they change their minds." He caught her look. "I'm kidding... for now. Get me whatever voodoo witch doctor is in charge of these idiots right now; I'll handle this personally."

Janet hesitated. "Respectfully, prefect, perhaps waiting-"

"Now, Janet," Sebastian said sharply. He sat down in his chair; a few minutes later an image of a buff man appeared on the holoprojector. "Greetings. I'm Sebastian Skywalker, Prefect of the Alliance."

"I am Lord High Nishiba, undisputed master of the Ligali and the voice of the Thousand Ancestors."

"I'm very happy for you," Sebastian said. "I assume you know why I contacted you."

"My Third has challenged one of your people in a matter of honor," Nishiba said. "I trust you will respect our ways... I am told that the Alliance has a policy of not interfering."

"My delegate will be returned immediately," Sebastian said flatly. "Failure to comply will be construed as an act of war."

"Then we will have no treaty." Nishiba had a smug grin. "It would be a shame if that were to happen."

Sebastian put an unpleasant smile on his face. "It would... considering that you are surrounded by us on all sides."

"Is that a threat, prefect?"

"Merely an observation," Sebastian said. "After what has happened to my delegate, it is obvious to me that the Ligali are a threat to my people, thus you will be prohibited from entering Alliance space. What's more, given the outrageous treatment of our dignitaries-"

"The treatment is in full keeping with our laws and the ways of our ancestors!"

"But not ours," Sebastian said. "We'll try to understand you, you try to understand us. You are free to run around and kill each other to your heart's content, but I will not tolerate you endangering my citizenry. Now, as I was saying, given the outrageous treatment of our dignitaries, I will also refuse all ships to enter your space, to ensure no further problems happen."

"But you cannot do that!" Nishiba declared. "We would have no means to trade!"

"Then I guess it's in your best interest to form a treaty with us," Sebastian said.

Nishiba growled at him. "You are not an honorable man."

"Coming from someone who sees diplomats as targets, I'll take that as a compliment. Now this is real simple, Nishiba: you return my delegate, unharmed, immediately. You apologize on behalf of your government, publicly, and state that this was all a matter of cultural confusion. We will graciously accept your apology. After that, all will be forgiven... you can choose not to join the Alliance, and we won't hold it against you." Sebastian leaned forward menacingly. "But if you try to play politics with me, Nishiba, I'll slap you so hard your ancestors will get dizzy."

Nishiba's sneer said everything. "I will take the matter under advisement," he rumbled.

Sebastian smiled like a tiger. "You do that," he said, then cut the transmission. "See?" he said to Janet, "that was controlled. I didn't even call him names."

"You remain an inspiration, prefect," Janet said, and Sebastian laughed. He needed it. "The surgery is scheduled for within the hour. Is there anything you'd like to do to prepare?"

Sebastian looked over at his cane, picked it up, and held it for a while. "My leg hurts," he said eventually. "Every day. Nothing I can't endure, but it always aches." He looked over to Janet. "Yet this never crossed my mind. I- I just want to be human, Janet..." He covered his face with his hand. "I just want to be like everyone else."

Janet came over and took his hand away. "But you're not," she said. "You have a special gift..." She hesitated. "And you are a special man. So kind, so generous, so caring... you are the most human being I've ever met. It has been an honor to be your confidante." She held his hand between her own. "Let me help you feel human one more time."

Sebastian looked into her face. "I don't love you," he said finally.

Janet's eyes flicked away, just for a moment. "I know," she said quietly. "That doesn't mean I can't still help you." He was about to speak, but she put a finger to his lips. "You are the most selfless man I've ever met... you always give to everyone who needs a little piece of you." She seemed almost teary-eyed as she looked into his face. "Why won't you ever accept anything back? Why won't you ever let someone else show you just a little of the compassion you have for all of us?"

Sebastian's breath trembled. "I'm so scared," he said, trying to hold his emotions in.

"Of the surgery?"

He gasped. "Of you."

She looked down, then kissed him gently. "You don't have to love me, Bastian," she said. "Just let me show you how special I think you are, how important," she forced a pained smile to her face, "how absolutely wonderful. No strings, no obligations, no guilt... just a gift from me to you to say thank you for all you've done for us." She looked pleadingly into his eyes. "If you'll give up a leg for me, isn't this the least I could do?"

Sebastian's jaw trembled, then he pushed Janet aside with his cane. She covered her face so he wouldn't see her. He activated the comm. "Yes, Sebastian?" the Queen said.

"The surgery," he said. "Have your drones standing by... I may be delayed." Janet looked up at him.

"How long?"

"I'm not sure," Sebastian said, taking Janet's hand. "I don't want to rush this." He offered her a smile. "Some human things need to take their time."

Seven looked over the program one last time, then nodded. "It's ready."

Janeway looked over her shoulder at it. "You're sure?" she asked. "We'll only get one chance to catch them off guard, Seven. There can't be any chance of failure."

"Don't worry, Kathryn," Seven said. "I know the Borg almost as well as they know themselves." She transferred the data into one of her memory engrams. "If I can infect the Queen with this, it will be just like the citadel all over again... she's connected on the same level."

Janeway smiled at her, but it didn't seem to have the warmth it used to. Probably the weight of all the dead, Seven thought grimly. Well, hopefully, today they'll finally get a little bit of justice. "Anything I can do to help?" Janeway asked.

"No," Seven said. "This is the part I have to do alone." Then she closed her eyes, activated her implants, and linked up to the Collective consciousness.

Sebastian limped into the chamber, hand in hand with Janet. She knew how hard this was going to be and had offered to stay with him throughout the procedure, to help give him the strength to see this through. He was grateful. The drones turned to him as he came in; the Queen was also present. "This will be painless," she assured him.

"Thank you," he said. He sat on the uncomfortable table and laid back, a lump in his throat. "When- Whenever you're ready." He squeezed Janet's hand; she squeezed back.

The familiar sensation of being one with the Borg came over Seven, and just as quickly vanished. She was kneeling on a white plane in nowhere, the Borg Queen standing before her. "Seven," she said as pleasantly as a Borg could. "Have you returned with more information? Or did you wish to enquire on the well-being of your son?"

Seven looked up and glared at her. That face... she hadn't seen that face in years, but it was forever burned into memory from that final moment, when she'd connected to the Collective in the Borg citadel. She'd been full of pain and grief and anger at the time; she'd lost Luke, and it was all because of them! First they took away her humanity, and then they took away her only love. Her life was empty... so empty that she did nothing but fill it with work, so that she didn’t have to think about him... and all the loneliness and heartache was their fault! She snarled and leapt, drew back her fist and plunged it into the Borg Queen's head.

The Queen screamed... and then, so did the Collective.

Sebastian jumped as the Queen cried out. The drones didn't; instead they began shaking about like they'd suddenly lost all control. "What's happening?" he demanded, but no one answered. On instinct he jerked out of the way as a drone struck the table hard, his surgical limb flailing around.

"Watch out!" Janet warned, and grabbed the limb. Of course he was watching out, he had the Force! But she didn't, nor did she have Borg strength, so all she did was hold on for the ride as it swung around. The limb pulled loose, and the barbed edge drove straight into her neck.

Sebastian screamed in horror and grabbed her before Janet fell. Blood ran down her body as she sputtered and went pale. He put his hand on the wound, but it was too late. She looked up into his face and mouthed two words. Love you. And then she was gone.
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

And it all falls down...

Poor Sebastion, his life is nearly bad as his mum's. Good job there, Chuck :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You know, the alternate Seven is going to feel like quite the dickhead after she realises just how badly Janeway has been playing her...

Hopefuly after Alternate Luke and Mara along with real Annika materalise in Janeways base, say a really classy line, then press play on their stero which starts blasting 'Duel of the Fates' ... :twisted:
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

And they still manage to take something away from Sebastian...!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:And it all falls down...

Poor Sebastion, his life is nearly bad as his mum's. Good job there, Chuck :D
Thanks. Yeah, sucks to be Bastian. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:You know, the alternate Seven is going to feel like quite the dickhead after she realises just how badly Janeway has been playing her...
Yeah, but the problem Seven has, and probably doesn't want to admit, is that she wanted to do this. Luke turned his love for Seven into hatred for the Borg, and now she did the same. Janeway was able to manipulate her because inside, killing the Borg once wasn't enough; Janeway gave her the excuse she needed to act.

After all, the Oracle didn't pick her reality out of a hat. :)
Chris OFarrell wrote:Hopefuly after Alternate Luke and Mara along with real Annika materalise in Janeways base, say a really classy line, then press play on their stero which starts blasting 'Duel of the Fates' ... :twisted:
Heh, well, we'll see, final chapter's four weeks from tomorrow.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:And they still manage to take something away from Sebastian...!
Yup, and this time the them is his own mother. God, it sucks to be Bastian. :)
Chuck

CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

He has got to be the single most unlucky character of any literary work I have every read. I mean Oedipus has nothing on this guy, and he stuck pins in his eyes. And as always, good chapter.

CERC
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

CERC wrote:He has got to be the single most unlucky character of any literary work I have every read. I mean Oedipus has nothing on this guy, and he stuck pins in his eyes. And as always, good chapter.

CERC
Thanks!
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shit. History repeats itself. Again Very cool.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I'm sorry, but Sebastian isn't quite the most throughly miserable yet still living fictional character I've ever encountered. Nicholas Seafort still wins that prize, if barely.

Of course, there are still four more chapters to go to rectify that.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Shit. History repeats itself. Again Very cool.
Thanks! Got a twofer there. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

consequences wrote:I'm sorry, but Sebastian isn't quite the most throughly miserable yet still living fictional character I've ever encountered. Nicholas Seafort still wins that prize, if barely.

Of course, there are still four more chapters to go to rectify that.
While I'll try, but I'm getting a callous on my foot from kicking his ass.
Chuck

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Which begs the question.... if Shuck Connenburg were to appear and save the day would that make it even worse for Sebastion as he has lost so much and then gets upstaged right at the end? :D
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

2000AD wrote:Which begs the question.... if Shuck Connenburg were to appear and save the day would that make it even worse for Sebastion as he has lost so much and then gets upstaged right at the end? :D

I think that instead of fighting sebastion to the death, shuck connenburg would fight him "to the Pain,".... bwahahahahhaa

CERC
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XLVII

Seven's eyes opened and she breathed deeply, as if she'd been hiding underwater for a long while. In the last moment, her thoughts and the Queen's had become one... and she had suddenly learned that she had just made a very serious mistake. She turned and looked at the Oracle with horror. "You- you lied to me."

"Given your counterpart's attitude, it seemed necessary," the Oracle said, without any sign that she cared.

"How can you be a Sith?" Seven said, her expression betraying just how frightened and disgusted she was at the prospect.

"I really don't have time for this," the Oracle said, turning away. Seven marched up and grabbed her shoulder, yanking her around. The Oracle's eyes flared and Seven was thrown across the room into the opposite wall. "I mean it," she said darkly.

"You used me," Seven said, voice trembling in accusation. "The Borg were helping people. Finally, something good had come from them, something benevolent, and you used me to destroy them!"

"This isn't your universe," the Oracle said. "It's none of your concern."

"You made it my concern when you brought me here!" Seven shouted.

"I'm afraid," the Oracle gestured at the monitors, "that you have your own problems to worry about."

Seven got up and looked at the monitors. It was her ship, the Visage, near the anomaly Mara had been telling her about. "What is it?"

"The pandimensional distortion I used to trade your mind with your counterpart's," the Oracle said. "It's still there, still a way back." She turned to Seven. "Unfortunately, it's moving through space, on a heading of 147 mark 2, and it's accelerating. Eventually it will even exceed the light speed barrier itself and be flying across the galaxy."

147 mark 2... oh no! "Kathryn, you can't do this!"

"I can," the Oracle said. "Of course, I can always choose not to."

"When it-"

"I know," the Oracle said. "And so do you. Unfortunately, while you devoted yourself to exploration, well- this universe's Seven actually married Luke. She didn’t have all that bottled up sexual energy you had to motivate her." She shook her head. "In a way I'm actually proud of her. Even now, in your universe, she's been only thinking about trying to rekindle her lost relationship, instead of recognizing the real threat that's facing them. So very human, really... Of course, even if she did actually pay attention, she doesn't have your experience. I seriously doubt she'll put it together, and even if she somehow managed it, she can't stop it."

"Please, Kathryn," Seven begged, "don't do this."

"I won't," the Oracle said. "If you'll help me." She walked face to face with Seven, and now the displaced Borg could see the evil that lined that familiar face. "We finish what you've started," she said darkly. "Then you go back, the door closes, and everything is fine. Otherwise..." She just left the implication there.

Seven looked again at the monitors; it somehow made it easier to say the words. "Okay," she said like someone selling their soul. "Okay, I'll help you."

There was a pop and hissing sound, then something like a subsonic hum that cycled away into silence. Several technicians remained on hand, even though it seemed like the device had worked. Annika still stood in that stock-still regeneration pose of hers while Commander Greiss looked on. He had medical personnel and stormtroopers standing by to cover the range of things that could possibly go wrong. Luke and Mara, of course, were on hand as well. "Captain?" Greiss asked. There was no response. "Captain?"

Annika's eyes opened, then swiveled slowly until she was looking at him. She smiled and said, "Nfgha herdigaba. Hyn fun tiyn gree fnbrrrrr-" and she collapsed in place like a marionette whose strings were cut.

Luke and Mara were there in an instant. Luke had passed his knowledge of Vulcan mental techniques on to his wife over the years, so that she knew almost as much as he did by now. Together they reached into her mind to see if they could help. Finally Luke got up and turned to the commander. "She should be fine," he said. "We don't sense any damage, just information overload. Her mind needs time to process it."

Greiss nodded. "Suggestions?"

Luke shrugged. "Let her rest somewhere comfortable. Mara and I can take turns monitoring her, in case things get worse, but I think she'll come out of it on her own."

Greiss nodded grimly. "Hopefully with an answer to whatever the hell is going on," he said, then turned and left, along with the entourage.

"She got lucky," Mara said, looking Annika over. "It was a damn stupid risk; I told her it was a damn stupid risk." She stood up as two crewmen with a hovering gurney came in and returned Annika to her quarters. Mara insisted that she handle things from there; that her friend deserved a little bit of privacy as she was readied for bed. The truth was she couldn't forget what she'd seen during that time of looking in Annika's head. It was Luke and her son, everywhere. All her thoughts were on them... and she hadn't had a chance to see either in a very long time. No wonder she went after Mara's Luke, she thought; it must have been sheer torture to see him again like this.

Mara pulled the covers up over Annika, looked down at her, then crawled onto the bed and embraced her tightly. "I wasn't exaggerating, Seven," she whispered. "You're the sister I always wanted... I'd do anything to make you happy." She screwed her eyes shut. "Anything but that. I love him that much too." She rocked the sleeping woman. "But I wish I could." She laughed a little. "Sometimes I think that's the source of our marriage problems... that deep down, I feel guilty for taking him away from you." She squeezed Annika tight. "You two are the best things that ever happened to me," she said. "So you damn well better not die on me."

Sebastian sat in his office chair. He was still stained with Janet's blood... he didn't care. Romal stood nearby giving his report. "Some kind of virus," he said. "Very, very sophisticated. The Borg are fighting it, but it won't be easy for them. They've got to isolate themselves into smaller groups to manage it... which slows down their own progress."

Sebastian stared at his blood-stained hands. "How did it happen?"

Romal cleared his throat. "It's rather complicated-"

"How did it happen?" Sebastian said in a growl that would terrify a rancor.

Romal fidgeted. "Your mother connected to the Borg again. It was assumed that she was attempting to provide information, but it turns out someone else was inhabiting her body. They used it to upload the virus directly into the Queen, and naturally she unwittingly passed it on to the entire Collective."

Rust. That was the color of his hands. Dried blood turns to rust. "How is that possible?"

"The Queen's thoughts were one with the occupant," Romal said. "The Oracle apparently-"

"The Oracle," he rumbled. It always came back to her. Was there any pain in his life that didn't start with her? Was there any person he'd lost that hadn't in some way fallen because of her?

Don't become attached. Attachment opens the door to loss, and loss means pain. Pain begets anger, sorrow, hate... in time, it overwhelms. The darkness stands over you, waiting, watching, laughing. It hurts you, goads you, and then it tells you to hurt someone else, that maybe you can stop the pain if you spread it around enough, as if it's a zero sum game and your loss is my gain. The only way to avoid it is not to play, so don't make attachments.

Rust...

"Where is she?"

"Janet?" Romal asked.

"The Oracle!"

"We don't know, prefect-"

"Then find her!" he shouted. "We have probe droids looking, do we not?"

"Yes, but the galaxy's a very big place, and the Borg cannot monitor the data any more. Their work on the pod has slowed substantially, and they're barely able to navigate their own ships."

"Then we do whatever we have to," Sebastian said. "But we will find her. I have an Eclipse-class star destroyer with her kriffing name on it!"

Apparently Romal had a cold, because he cleared his throat again. "Respectfully-"

"Don't say 'respectfully,' just get on with it!"

"Your aunt tried that exact same thing," Romal pointed out. "That obviously didn't work."

"This time it will."

"And if it doesn't?" Romal asked.

"It will!"

Romal stared at him. "I am not cut out for this," he said finally. "I'm a medvac chasing lawyer who thought this was a chance for some easy contract law money. Managing an empire, triumphing over evil, and saving the universe are a million light-years away from where my abilities lie. Janet's gone, the Queen's struggling to keep the Collective from falling... if you don't get a grip on yourself so you can hold it together, Bastian, then there's no one else left. The Alliance will fall-"

"Let it," Sebastian grumbled.

"And the Vong will win."

"So what."

"And so will the Oracle."

"I don't care."

Romal nodded. "And Janet will have died for nothing."

...rust...

"I didn't love her," Sebastian said quietly. "Not in that sense, anyway. We were intimate, but... she was a friend, a very dear one to me."

"Love you," she said in his memory. Sebastian covered his eyes and wept for someone who loved him so much she'd die for him... You weren't my lover, he said in his mind, but you have no idea how much I needed you, how much I cared for you, how much I wish that maybe you could have been what you wanted to be.

Go to the Vong planet, Bastian. Do what you have to do there. Then it'll be better. All the pain will finally be gone. Finish it, then you and Jorri and Janet and father and all the others can be together again and you won't have to hurt any more. You won't be alone there... finally, you can just be like everybody else...

Annika opened her eyes, saw Mara, and didn't bother with pleasantries. "Get my clothes, assuming I'm not still in them."

"Seven, how are-"

"No time," Annika said firmly, getting up out of bed. "I have to check the data, but I have the feeling I've figured out what the Oracle's done, and if so then we're running out of time." Mara helped her out, and minutes later Annika was back in her uniform and marching through the halls of the Visage, Mara at her side. Luke quickly caught up.

"Captain's on the-"

"As you were," she said quickly, marching up to Greiss. "The anomaly is accelerating, right?"

"Yes," he said, a little surprised.

"Project it's heading for me." They stepped over to one of the stations while one of the crewmen did so. A diagram of space appeared. "And where's the wormhole."

The image appeared, and Greiss turned to her in surprise. "It's going to intersect the wormhole."

"Exactly."

"I take it that's bad," Mara said.

"You could say that," Annika said with a shake of her head. "It's... complicated."

"Try me," Greiss said.

"There isn't time," Annika said.

"I think there is, captain," Greiss said. His tone made it clear there was no room for argument.

Annika wrung her hands. "Okay, all right, um, look, this is just an analogy, see, but think of it in terms of energy states." She grabbed a datapad. "I put this on the floor, low energy state. I put it on the desk, high energy state. The datapad falls," she pushed it off and it hit the deck, "energy release."

"I take it we're the datapad," Luke said.

"No, the anomaly is the datapad." She picked it up again. "It hits, energy is released. You see, the wormhole is a bridge not just through space-"

"But through time," Greiss finished, starting to grasp it.

"Exactly. Think of them as different energy states in time." She saw Greiss' expression. "It's just an analogy," she reminded him. "If you want I can put some engrams in your brain so you can thoroughly understand it, but for right now you'll just have to accept this. When the anomaly and the wormhole intersect, both ends are going to have a catastrophic release of... temporal energy if you will. The detail's not important, just that it's enough to destroy at least both galaxies, if not more."

"Then we'll need to destroy the anomaly," Greiss said.

"Too dangerous, you could destroy this galaxy and the one in my own universe, and possibly several others along the way."

"What about destroying the wormhole?" Luke asked.

"It's our fallback plan," Annika said. "But even if you do the... residue, for lack of a better term, will still be there. We can save one galaxy that way, but I don't know which it will be... it’s sickening, but that is the least damaging scenario so far. Fortunately, there is one other possibility."

"Which is?"

"If this anomaly was made by the Oracle, then she has the technology to stop it. If you can get me back into my own body, I can try to do that."

"And I take it you have a plan for this?" Greiss asked.

"Yes," Annika said. "I do."

Annika was dressed in one of Mara's combat suits, altered on short notice by the ship's tailor. Hopefully it wouldn't be necessary, but if the initial plan failed, she might need it. She finished the preflight check on the shuttle she'd be taking to the anomaly, hopefully to switch her mind back with the Seven who was currently in her body. She looked down at the body-hugging combat suit. Pity, she thought, I'm going to miss looking this good.

Mara would be coming along for the ride. The transfer would require someone with strong telepathic abilities, and since she had experience passing through multiple universes, she was the most logical choice. Luke didn't like it much, but he agreed to let her go. Mara ran into Annika as the latter was exiting the shuttle. "You're all set? Want to bring any souvenirs back with you?"

"I think I'm good," Annika said.

"Well, just in case, there's something Luke and I both want you to have." Mara shrugged a little. "A little something to remember us by."

"I'm not sure I can actually bring anything with me."

"Won't hurt to try," Mara said. "Oh, I left it with Luke; go get it for me, would you? I need to get my mind prepped for this."

Annika walked back towards the exit, but Luke ambushed her and pulled her into a storage room. Before she could protest he was kissing her, passionately, like he always did in her memories. She felt his hand slide up her back, along her neck, and to the back of her head, and then... and then, in her mind, she made love to him again. It wasn't real... but it was close enough for someone who had been without her husband for so long.

Luke released her. "It was Mara's idea," he said. "Thanks for helping us."

Annika stared at him, her mouth still slightly parted. "I'm so glad you have someone as wonderful as her, Luke," she said. "Don't ever let her go."

Luke embraced her one last time, and she left and returned to the shuttle. Minutes later they were approaching the entrance to the anomaly. A tractor beam from the Visage held them as they eased into position just outside the mouth. Mara and Annika stared at it as it filled the window. "Well," Mara said, "let's see if this works?" She reached over, put her hands on Annika's head, and concentrated.

Seven gasped, and the Oracle's lab vanished. She looked up and saw... herself. "Seven?" Annika asked.

"Yes?"

"I'm your counterpart-"

"I know. The anomaly-"

"I know." They both paused. "Not the most efficient way of communicating, is it?"

"No," Seven agreed. Hesitantly, they reached out, and information flowed back and forth between them, and with them, ideas were proposed and rejected, new plans emerged, and suddenly-

"That could work," Annika said aloud.

“It’d be dangerous,” Seven warned.

“We’ve no choice, both for your galaxy and mine.”

"Just fly safely," Seven said, “that’s my body you’re in after all.” She hesitated. "I envy you," she said. "You lost so much..."

Annika noddded. "But it was only because I had so much in the first place." She breathed heavily. "But you're lucky to have Luke and Mara in your life... they're... very good people."

Annika opened her eyes. "It's what I was afraid of," she said. "We're too far, we're going to have to fly into the anomaly if we're going to pull this switch."

Mara nodded and grabbed the controls while Annika contacted the Visage. The tractor beam vanished and they flew inside, down a tunnel of pure white light. "I have no idea what I'm doing," Mara said.

"At least we're in the same boat," Annika said.

An alarm sounded, and the Oracle looked up with a frown. With a thought the monitors came on, and she observed the Imperial shuttle. "Well well well," she said. "It seems I underestimated you, Seven. You're either very, very smart or very, very stupid." She activated the controls on a sinister looking device. "But I suppose it doesn't really matter." She smiled that frog-like grin and hit the button, and the machine made a sound like lightning.

"Uh-oh," Mara said.

"What?" Annika asked, but then she saw it coming. It was a massive ripple in the light of the tunnel, and it was heading their way very quickly. "Uh-oh," she agreed.

"Better hang on," Mara said, gripping the controls more firmly. The ripple reached the shuttle, and it was tossed about end over end in the wake. Alarms rang out as Mara struggled to regain control of the ship, while Annika watched helplessly as they tumbled. They were approaching the boundary...

"-are a cowardly and superstitious lot-"

"Mara," Annika said, "you've got to keep us away from the edges, or-"

"Hey cool! They got a blimp!"

"-or else we'll get seriously lost!" Annika finished.

"We've done the impossible and that makes us mighty."

Mara struggled. "I'm trying," she said.

"-open the pod bay doors-"

Annika gripped the arms of her chair, her eyes screwed shut.

"-I shall send wave after wave of my own men-"

"Hang on!" Mara said. "Here's comes another one!" The ship was knocked about again-

"-and this, is the longest day of my life-"

"Mara..." Annika said slowly, in warning.

"-can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with-"

"I'm trying, Seven," Mara said through her teeth.

"-or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm-"

Annika saw the next pulse coming.

"You called us the Overlords, not knowing the irony of that title."

Mara looked up and saw it too.

"-we're on a satellite, this place is crawling with toothpicks-"

The ripple struck, and the shuttle was knocked aside again, spinning like a top as it did.

"-there ain't no justice-"

And Mara and Annika weren't in the shuttle any more, they were tumbling through the air over a meadow. And the last thing Annika saw before she fell unconscious was an arch across the sky.
Chuck

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Hah, I love that last section. It's quite a nice word based alternative to the flashing colours of the end of 2001. (Sorry, that sentence might not make sense, but I assure you it's well meant.)

(I've just been googling the quotes. I got the origin of six right, if tanj is niven based. The toothpick one is bugging me though. Where is it from?)

And now, curse you, I'm going to sleep. I have an exam in the morning.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I got Terminator and possibly Aliens (but it could be anything three laws-ish I suppose)

Very nice chapter as always makes me want the next one just to find out WTF just happened.
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

very nice..... and once again DEATH TO THE ORACLE..... hurah...

CERC
Sum Senatus

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fantastic, and I do so enjoy Sebastion really and truly losing a lot of himself into despair.

Romal was absolutely great how in all this he's going "What the flying hell have I fucking gotten myself into?"

I got most, and I still like the Batman bit :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Hah, I love that last section. It's quite a nice word based alternative to the flashing colours of the end of 2001. (Sorry, that sentence might not make sense, but I assure you it's well meant.)

(I've just been googling the quotes. I got the origin of six right, if tanj is niven based. The toothpick one is bugging me though. Where is it from?)
Anyone get the toothpick one? I'm especially pleased with that one. :)
Prozac the Robert wrote: And now, curse you, I'm going to sleep. I have an exam in the morning.
Good luck!
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:I got Terminator and possibly Aliens (but it could be anything three laws-ish I suppose)
Actually intended to be the robot novels by Asimov.
Crazedwraith wrote: Very nice chapter as always makes me want the next one just to find out WTF just happened.
Thanks! :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

CERC wrote:very nice..... and once again DEATH TO THE ORACLE..... hurah...

CERC
Thank you. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:Fantastic, and I do so enjoy Sebastion really and truly losing a lot of himself into despair.
Thank you. I figure when things are this bad for somebody, this screwed up AND you've still got to cut your fucking leg off, you're entitled to a little despair.
Ghost Rider wrote: Romal was absolutely great how in all this he's going "What the flying hell have I fucking gotten myself into?"
Thanks again. I have worried ever since he showed up that he was going to be my Neelix, so I'm glad that he's entertaining.
Ghost Rider wrote: I got most, and I still like the Batman bit :P
I figured putting the most obvious first would help tip things off. :)
Chuck

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

That toothpick one has got to be from MST3K. And the last one, if I'm not mistaken, comes from the Illuminatus books, according to my googling.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.