Wacom Tablet Recommendations/Questions...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Wacom Tablet Recommendations/Questions...

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Mentioned in the Vent thread earlier was that I recently got enough money to freely get a Wacom Tablet, something I've been wanting for ages.

For a while I've had selected on Amazon a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 inch USB Tablet, in blue, which they price at $170. I chose that one for its balance in size and price; it's not what I feel is too small, nor is it too expensive.

So, have I made a good choice? Or am I crazy or stupid? Let me know before it's too late: you may help save a life...
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-05-18 04:48am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Tip: keep your regular mouse handy. The tablet mouse sucks donkey balls. Otherwise, thumbs up to a Wacom tablet.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I only spent like £30 on mine and it does what I need it to. I'm sure you'll be fine.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Make sure you've got plenty of desk space. I can't get full use of my A3 wacom till I get a bigger desk. Tablet mouse sucks indeed.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Hmm, usually I don't draw flat on a table or desk. Generally it's on my lap like with a notebook.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Is there a reason for going for the Graphire instead of the Intuos? I say that because the Intuos pen is really good, quality and comfort wise. But I'm pretty picky about the pen comfort.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

What are you using it for?
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Sometimes you are reallly quite strange :|.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

felineki wrote:
Pick wrote:Sometimes you are reallly quite strange :|.
Well, if instead of churning stuff out day after day like you do, you couldn't accomplish anything no matter how much you try, you'd probably act strange, too.
What kinda tablet you got?
To Absent Friends

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Meest wrote:Is there a reason for going for the Graphire instead of the Intuos?
Cost. Basically, I'm not going to pay nearly twice as much for my first pen tablet. The Graphire should be good enough as an introduction and long-term product, I think.
Pick wrote:What are you using it for?
Um, drawing, sketching, photomanipulation, I guess.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

How much of a difference does that really make, though?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

felineki wrote:
Pick wrote:Sometimes you are reallly quite strange :|.
Well, if instead of churning stuff out day after day like you do, you couldn't accomplish anything no matter how much you try, you'd probably act strange, too.
:lol: Well thank you for assuming that I was born with years and years worth of effort and practice.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Yeah, but how much continuous practice?

Also, Felineki, I would appreciate it if you didn't turn my recommendation thread into a self-depreciating means of attracting attention to yourself.

felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

gone
Last edited by felineki on 2006-05-18 04:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Then do something about it, but not in my thread, you spaz.

EDIT: And then you do that shit. Nice job proving that you have no spine and actually don't want to be constructive.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Heh, dumb question, but Photoshop version 6 should support a Graphire4, right? P6's helpfile does say that the product supports Wacom tablets, and I seriously feel damn silly asking, but I suddenly got paranoid...

I'm sure it should, right? I feel dumb just asking that...

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Because felineki doesn't feel like participating in this discussion, but rather wants to act like a cry baby, his posts have been deleted.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Heh, dumb question, but Photoshop version 6 should support a Graphire4, right? P6's helpfile does say that the product supports Wacom tablets, and I seriously feel damn silly asking, but I suddenly got paranoid...

The tablet acts as a second mouse, so all that matters is that it works with Windows. Photoshop shouldn't pose a problem, I think.
To Absent Friends

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Dalton wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Heh, dumb question, but Photoshop version 6 should support a Graphire4, right? P6's helpfile does say that the product supports Wacom tablets, and I seriously feel damn silly asking, but I suddenly got paranoid...

The tablet acts as a second mouse, so all that matters is that it works with Windows. Photoshop shouldn't pose a problem, I think.
I think he's more interested in the pressure sensitivity working in PS6.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work in PS6, so it shouldn't be a problem. Worst comes to worst, you acquire a newer copy of PS.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Thanks much. :)

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Also, hate to chip in just to plug, but there are some programs better than Photoshop, depending on what you're doing :).
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'll look into it next time I have a wad of money to throw away. Image

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Okay! I'll wait to tell you about the free program until you have more money :D.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Oh wait, free? That perks my post-graduate interest.

I thought you meant the kind that range between $50 and $500. What kind of free programmes?

Tells me, sister woman!!

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

The original Opencanvas beta is freeware, and it's -good-. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of Photoshop, but it's great for drawing. Also you can save event files, which can play back your drawing progress like a movie :). Opencanvas (Every version) is designed for tablet use especially. Great stuff :).