Pick's Art Thread 5 - Short Anim. Test

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Perfect. :)

Still, one often does forget how huge Hoquer really is.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Man...

What are the actual relative heights of those characters?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Eyeballing it, if Nozoma is about 3 feet tall, that would probably make Hoquer...around 10'.
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Thanks so much, Alan Bolte, Darth Raptor, and Rye! I don't know why, but I just really liked the look of the scene, and I'm glad that you guys did too :mrgreen:. I should finish it up, maybe?
Noble Ire wrote:Still, one often does forget how huge Hoquer really is.
Then think about how old he must be... :).
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Man...

That's why I drew the fast height chart earlier in this thread :P.
Kuja wrote:Eyeballing it, if Nozoma is about 3 feet tall, that would probably make Hoquer...around 10'.
Well, forced perspective makes her look smaller in this picture (for instance, she's leaning back; he's leaning forward.) Notice, for instance, the difference in their leg's length. It's not nearly as large a differential :).

"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That is so very, very sweet. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Pick wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Man...

That's why I drew the fast height chart earlier in this thread :P.
Okay, I checked that out, but I couldn't make out any units of measure on it. That's what I was actually wondering about.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Okay, I checked that out, but I couldn't make out any units of measure on it. That's what I was actually wondering about.
Unless I've missed something important, the azzarn start from our dimensions and just get bigger.
What is Project Zohar?

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

That still doesn't give me any numbers, damn it!! :P

Sorry, just that I'm a major numbers person...

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Looks like you could estimate it by assuming the lines are half a foot apart, thus putting a young adult between 5.5 and 6 feet tall.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Alan Bolte wrote:Looks like you could estimate it by assuming the lines are half a foot apart, thus putting a young adult between 5.5 and 6 feet tall.
Exactly correct :). Each unit was supposed to be six inches, but it looks like I cropped off the number scale :oops:.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Markers! For the first time in a loooong time!!

... I got rusty. So very, very rusty :x.

I thought this scene was one of the sweetest ones I have ever written. Aww, sap :P.

I'm also thinking of redefining my style a bit. I'm wondering if I should wait for a certain reference artbook, or just go for it. I want my work to look a little bit more anime, and a little less "white girl who likes anime" :lol:.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Heh, "white girl who likes anime"... :)

I'd say maybe go for it now just to see how you do, then make the main push when your reference arrives.

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Heh, "white girl who likes anime"... :)
Honestly. You can tell whether or not an actual Japanese person drew it 99% of the time.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'd actually say it's more around 80%. There are some Japanese CG artists I've seen that have pretty broad styles that go into that westernish manner.

But yeah, you're right, it's something you can pretty much tell. I wouldn't really say most of your own personal style really falls into that catagory, though, since you have a real unique aspect, I think.

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I'd actually say it's more around 80%. There are some Japanese CG artists I've seen that have pretty broad styles that go into that westernish manner.
Sorry, I meant if it's anime art, you can basically tell if a Japanese person did it. As for the western-ish art, it's anyone's guess --though there are a few quirks that tend to show up.
But yeah, you're right, it's something you can pretty much tell. I wouldn't really say most of your own personal style really falls into that catagory, though, since you have a real unique aspect, I think.
Thank you :wink:. I still remember when I was first trying to learn to draw "anime art". Late spring of 2003. Magical. :lol: It was all shit.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Ooh! Colors! I often forget how pretty the Sitkas are.

As for your style, I would recommend broadening it to include more authentic looking manga, not changing it outright. You're already exceptionally versitile and can do excellent work with in a variety of schemes, and you have your own unique style that is really endearing.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Darth Raptor wrote:Ooh! Colors! I often forget how pretty the Sitkas are.
Well, Nozoma's certainly pretty. Her parents were idiots.
What is Project Zohar?

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

So very cute. :)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well, Nozoma's certainly pretty. Her parents were idiots.
It's the hair and skin. Alder has (or had?) the same thing going on. They look like a Barbie's Magical Unicorn doll, but in a totally non-lame way. :wink:
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, Alder looks like he fell in a glittery oil slick, too :P. All the Sitkas have it, so it's not considered unusual, or even particularly "beautiful" :wink:. And Nozoma/Alder's parents... assholes?! :o You don't say!

----

Action poses, blargh.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That is so cool.
What is Project Zohar?

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ford Prefect wrote:That is so cool.
Too bad I think -everyone- is rooting for Hoquer :P.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Pick wrote: Too bad I think -everyone- is rooting for Hoquer :P.
Of course we are. He's the better man. We all know how this going to end - Hoquer will smack himself down.
What is Project Zohar?

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Fucking awesome! :shock:
Pick wrote:Too bad I think -everyone- is rooting for Hoquer :P.
Face it, you're the only one who likes Edge. But that's okay, a villain that everyone loves to hate is an exceptionally well-made villain. :wink:
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:Fucking awesome! :shock:
Thank you :D.
Face it, you're the only one who likes Edge. But that's okay, a villain that everyone loves to hate is an exceptionally well-made villain. :wink:
It's odd, since I consider Edge's brutality to be relatively mild.

I'll be interested to see the response to a series of events that even gave Edge pangs of conscience, though probably not enough :lol:.

Edit- Aaah!! And Edge is not a villian! :cry: He's... just... a guy! A guy who is kind of a dick!