Yep, powerarmor.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Is it just me, or do the legs seem too bulky?

Pretty good otherwise
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Hmmm...They are bulky. I would cough this up by saying many of the strongest servo/actuators are located in the leg and it fits my style. :wink:
Otherwise, it would just be armor.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Good stuff Muffin King. I like the rifle-like weapons. I can recognise the real weapons they're based on. I like the helmet too.

Maybe we could do some kind of joint work sometime if your up for it.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Adrian Laguna wrote:I don't really like the newest one. Ugly gun.
That's just because it's not perfectly reproduced. Here:

Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

It looks like an assault rifle trying, but failing, to be a sub-machinegun. Still ugly. The G36 is a nice rifle that can also collapse to a fairly small size, try that one.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

But a G36 doesn't come in 7.62 NATO.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

weemadando wrote:But a G36 doesn't come in 7.62 NATO.
Doesn't matter because it's not going to be a G36, just look like one. A gun for that power armour should fire bullets big enough to make an armoured Humvee driver wet his pants.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What's the point of having the G-36 stylings when the powerarmour quite clearly wouldn't be functional with the ergonomics of it?
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I was thinking of having this armor capable of handling a light machinegun like an assault rifle. The idea was for the actuators and recoil dampeners, combined with targeting computer, to counteract recoil and make the weapons more accurate. I was also thinking of them using assault rifles chambered for 50cal BMG or a derivative thereof, but similar in appearance to their standard brethren. Ergonomics is a huge issue with not only this armor, but potentially any powered armor. Servos, armor, and the opereator themselves all pose huge challenges to the weapon designers. A G-36 style weapon, any weapon is possible, but it would have to be modifiied in such a way for ease of use by the power armor, potentially precluding its use to the suit itself. This raises another issue, that of integrated weapons. Integrated weapons have many advantages: they're integrated, protected by the suit, and most likely fed by a large remote/internal magazine. The disadvantages I'll get to after some sleep.