King of Nepal = PWNED!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

King of Nepal = PWNED!

Post by Jason von Evil »

C to the B to the C. :P
Nepalese parliament strips king's powers
Last Updated Thu, 18 May 2006 14:55:47 EDT
CBC News

Nepal's parliament has voted unanimously to strip King Gyanendra of his powers, a move that would effectively transform the Hindu mountain kingdom into a secular constitutional monarchy.

The ruler of Nepal has traditionally been revered as an incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu. As head of the government and army, his absolute powers included exemption from taxes and freedom from any prosecution.

Gyanendra will lose those powers and become little more than a symbolic monarch when Thursday's vote is ratified.

"This [vote] ends the remains of the royal regime and establishes the king as only a figurehead," said Narayanman Bijuchche of the Nepal Workers and Peasants Party.

Even the royalists agreed with the parliamentary initiative.

"This move has turned the country toward a new goal and target. This will give political stability," said Surya Bahadur Thapa of the royalist Rastriya Janshakti Party.

Procedures to formally enact the legislation are expected to be completed within days.

The drive to strip Gyanendra of his authority followed weeks of street fighting in the nation's capital, Kathmandu.

To help quell the violence, Gyanendra gave up direct control of the government, reinstating the parliament that he had expelled last year and returning its political authority.

"This proclamation represents the feelings of all the people," Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala told the parliament, adding that it "respects the sacrifices of the people who were martyred during the movement" to unseat Gyanendra.

News of Thursday's vote was greeted with victory rallies across the country, and more were planned for Friday. In Kathmandu, residents lit candles outside their houses in celebration.
Thats what you get for taking complete control, fucker. He's lucky they didn't decide to have him arrested.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

Arrested? He's lucky they didn't rush his house/mansion and take his head.
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

That's good news all round.

Aren't the Nepal royal family all batshit insane anyway? I heard about three or four years back one of their family members supposedly went on a machine gun rampage, killing dozens of people.

And the old cockface that got deposed today took advantage of that family tragedy to seize power.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Big Orange wrote:That's good news all round.

Aren't the Nepal royal family all batshit insane anyway? I heard about three or four years back one of their family members supposedly went on a machine gun rampage, killing dozens of people.

And the old cockface that got deposed today took advantage of that family tragedy to seize power.
I guess that means that if ONE person in YOUR family murders then you’re ALSO insane too and need to be locked up for life at the minimal. Please think about what you fucking say.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Ok, I'll tone down my comments from now on in regards to Nepal's royal family, but did you hear about that gun rampage, Sea Skimmer?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yes I did, which is why I know it was not dozens of people, it was nine killed plus six wounded. The shooter was also killed, its never been revealed if he shot himself or by guards.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Here's the Wikipedia article on the massacre; it claims nine dead ( or 10-11 depending if you count the shooter and the mother of one of the victims, who died when she heard the news ) and 4 wounded. Also, it was his own royal relatives he killed, which is how the present king got into office.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

How do you refer to someone who used to be a god but got voted out of the office, anyway?
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

The Dark wrote:How do you refer to someone who used to be a god but got voted out of the office, anyway?
Well, if they no longer consider him a god, ex-god.
If they think he was never a god, false god.
If they think he's still a god, but has no power, perhaps he's the God of Irrelevancy. :)

Realistically ? < points > "There's a guy so stuck up, he used to call himself a god !"
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: King of Nepal = PWNED!

Post by Steve »

Jason von Evil wrote: "This [vote] ends the remains of the royal regime and establishes the king as only a figurehead," said Narayanman Bijuchche of the Nepal Workers and Peasants Party.
......the "Workers and Peasants Party"? Why does that have me thinking "Maoist"?

Nepal would probably have been better off with leaving some of the King's power, if only those inherent in being the personage of the State and Nation, and forcing the bastard to abdicate. Presuming there's an heir he could have abdicated for.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I read a War Nerd article a while back which said there is a Maoist insurgency. go to www.exile.ru to find his column.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Maoists control about 80% of Nepal, as I heard.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Actually, the Nepalese government announced a few weeks ago that they're declaring a permanent ceasefire with the Maoists and aren't going to consider them terrorists/rebels anymore.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Actually, the Nepalese government announced a few weeks ago that they're declaring a permanent ceasefire with the Maoists and aren't going to consider them terrorists/rebels anymore.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Terribly ironic? actually. It's hard to consider a power which controls more of the country than you do a "rebel" power at all.

Off-T: I'd really like to see how it is like on Maoist territory in Nepal, however, this year I can only manage travelling round China and nothing more, as I see it. :roll:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

More then 80% of the country is empty mountains which don’t really matter, they wouldn't even be worth fighting over, though the rebels certainly do control some important lines of communication.