Pick's Art Thread 5 - Short Anim. Test

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pick wrote:It's odd, since I consider Edge's brutality to be relatively mild.
Don't misunderstand. In my case, at least, it's not Edge's brutality- it's his condescending attitude and his sadistic psychological manipulation at the individual level. In terms of sheer immorality, I consider the Llanlleian Empire to be far worse (and Edge, as the most potent agent of its opposition, a hero of sorts).

But he's still a dick. :P
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Don't misunderstand. In my case, at least, it's not Edge's brutality- it's his condescending attitude and his sadistic psychological manipulation at the individual level. In terms of sheer immorality, I consider the Llanlleian Empire to be far worse (and Edge, as the most potent agent of its opposition, a hero of sorts).

But he's still a dick. :P
As I've said before, I think that Edge would be rather more likeable if he was your run-of-the-mill heavy-handed tyrant, even if he was still rather charismatic (which is actually how I imagine, with absolutely no basis of course, the Black King as being). It's his brand of evil, manipulation on such a level, that makes him unlikeable to me. Kind of like Darth Vader as opposed to the Emperor, I suppose (guess who I've always liked more). :wink:

But yes, Llanellia still strikes me as a much more reprehensible place (Orwell is the only author who has actually been able to really frighten me, and Llanellia is very Orwellian.)

And the fight scene is really quite good. Exactly how I imagined the two of them fighting.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Don't misunderstand. In my case, at least, it's not Edge's brutality- it's his condescending attitude and his sadistic psychological manipulation at the individual level.
Oh, that :B.
Noble Ire wrote:As I've said before, I think that Edge would be rather more likeable if he was your run-of-the-mill heavy-handed tyrant, even if he was still rather charismatic (which is actually how I imagine, with absolutely no basis of course, the Black King as being). It's his brand of evil, manipulation on such a level, that makes him unlikeable to me. Kind of like Darth Vader as opposed to the Emperor, I suppose (guess who I've always liked more).
Well, it's sensible that Edge doesn't operate by brute force, despite his ability. Remember, Edge isn't very strong, and never particuarly was. Before he got the bands, anything he wanted would have been procured by less direct means. He wouldn't have the power to demand anything by sheer force :P. Despite having grown considerably since, his basic personality dictates that he prefers coercion to blunt orders. It's also generally a more lasting solution :).

Also, is there some sort of "cult of love for the characters who have only been vaguely alluded to"? :lol:
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Well, it's sensible that Edge doesn't operate by brute force, despite his ability. Remember, Edge isn't very strong, and never particuarly was. Before he got the bands, anything he wanted would have been procured by less direct means. He wouldn't have the power to demand anything by sheer force . Despite having grown considerably since, his basic personality dictates that he prefers coercion to blunt orders. It's also generally a more lasting solution .
Well, I suppose all of that does make sense. Nevertheless, as Darth Raptor so eloquently put it, he's still a dick. :P
Also, is there some sort of "cult of love for the characters who have only been vaguely alluded to"?
<_<
>_>

... yes.
(I like irrelevant backstory.)
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

I say go for developing your own style in its own direction. No point in pigeonholing yourself into another look when you can emphasize your own strengths and abilities.

In other news, that marker coloration is kickass. I need to learn how to achieve that effect; all I chiefly do currently is fullly filled-in colors with shading and highlighting added. I haven't found any good studyable examples or guides for leaving large amounts of white as extreme highlights.
By His Word...
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Pick wrote: It's odd, since I consider Edge's brutality to be relatively mild.
His brutality is rather mild. I'm writing a heroine who's considerably more brutal than Edge. Raptor put it best; it's got nothing to do with how brutal he is; just how much of a total arsehole he is. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great character; just like I think Gendou Ikari is a great character. However, I like neither.
Edit- Aaah!! And Edge is not a villian! :cry: He's... just... a guy! A guy who is kind of a dick!
You could say the same for Superman. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:That is so cool.
Too bad I think -everyone- is rooting for Hoquer :P.
*quietly waves Edge flag*
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Traitsmaps, now that you actually care :P.

You knew this one.

Though not this one (okay, who thought it was going to look like a goat? CONFESS! CON-FESS!!!)

Gosh.

Can you say, "Ripped the fuck off!!", children? :angelic:

I don't feel bad 8).
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pick wrote:You knew this one.
An apropriately elegant and unassuming animal, if I do say so.
Though not this one (okay, who thought it was going to look like a goat? CONFESS! CON-FESS!!!)
Erm. :oops:

Although, this makes sense as well. Even though she just lost her hoard. :wink:
Gosh.
I'll say.
Can you say, "Ripped the fuck off!!", children? :angelic:
*points at Zixer* HA HA! [/nelson]

I must ask: Since Verdie and Zixer's totema are real animals, does that mean the rest of them are real as well (or real at one point)? Your planet is looking like more and more of an awesome place to visit- albeit not without a very big gun. :wink:
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Zixer's not actually purebred jhidderzhan, I just updated the beasitary with a picture of his traitsmap and figured it was close enough (and it pretty much is. Pretty much the feet and tail are the only notable difference.) But anyway :lol: that's my bad.

All of the traitsmaps are amalgamations of animals that once existed or currently exist. Some of them only survive to the far east, some are completely gone, and some are just your everyday thingies wandering around eating stuff :).

I'll confess, though, most of these are subject to some design change (not Edge's really.) I've never drawn a lot of them before :lol:.

Water-critter!

EDIT- always remember Shader's book though. Get too close to actually looking this way and Bad Things Happen.

Oh, and shit! I forgot to mention something exceedingly important. These are traitsmaps in a certain direction. Good and Evil don't bring out the same things.
Last edited by Pick on 2006-05-21 09:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Hmm, I've got a question, but I don't see how you could really answer it without spoiling the whole "Edge and Shader's grand experiment" story arc. :?

Instead, I'll just laugh at Kamina. Gotta catch 'em all! :P
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Is Darius gonna grow another set of arms?
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Alan Bolte wrote:Is Darius gonna grow another set of arms?
It's too large of a structural change. He'd berserk first.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Ooh! I totally forgot about berserking! :idea:
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

God damn, Pick, those are fucking awesome. Really, I just love how they're rendered.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:Ooh! I totally forgot about berserking! :idea:
... then it's good I reminded you :P. It's kind of important!

Hmm, who else should I do?

And thank you, Spanky :). It's been a while since I drew creatures this much. I'd forgotten I rather liked drawing animals!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

... then it's good I reminded you . It's kind of important!
Am I correct in assuming that a majority of them would go beserk before fully "transforming", save those of the Zaa persuasion?
I'd like to see Nozoma's (if she even has one).
The Rift
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:
... then it's good I reminded you . It's kind of important!
Am I correct in assuming that a majority of them would go beserk before fully "transforming", save those of the Zaa persuasion?
Azzarn can't handle excessive amounts of traits, regardless of circumstances. Though some situations tend to make it happen more quickly than others, once you get to a certain point it's absolutely unavoidable for any of them. Hoquer is pretty much the upper limit. Zaa also can't handle it as well as you think 8).

So there's no looming "return to nature" or anything. The azzarn cannot do it. They die.
I'd like to see Nozoma's (if she even has one).
Everybody does :wink:.

Seriously, though :wink:. This part of DC is not nearly as important as you probably think.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, I might not want to mess with this.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Seriously, though . This part of DC is not nearly as important as you probably think.
I guessed as much. I doubted you'd end the story simply by having everyone turn into quadropedal monsters and fight each other to the death. Although...

:wink:

And its interesting that even in those forms, Hoquer and Nomzoma do rather look like they're related. :)
The Rift
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Honestly, this stuff is all setting, as far as I'm concerned. It's just what they are, not what they're going to do or why they'd do it. Hell, I could even tell you exactly what happened that caused this mess and it wouldn't really mean jack shit to the story itself. Or I could not tell you and it wouldn't really affect the story either :wink:.

Also, the azzarn know they've got a connection to the animals, they just don't really know what it is. It's one of those "accepted facts". They don't really care.

Seriously, though. The traitsmap stuff is, at best, idle curiosity stuff. Keep your mind on the story :lol:.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Those are seriously awesome creatures.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pick wrote:... then it's good I reminded you :P. It's kind of important!
That and it kind of threw a wrench in the current alignment traits hypothesis. I've since reworked it, but as long as you plan on revealing everything eventually I have the patience necessary to wait and see if I'm right or not.
There's really only Kesyl, Umber and Shader left, isn't there? The latter two I'm the most curious about.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:There's really only Kesyl, Umber and Shader left, isn't there? The latter two I'm the most curious about.
Kesyl, Umber, Shader, Bemia, Fvier,... Nyanpeen, Karlor, Piln (I should draw them at some point!)... bla bla :P. Doorman from chapter 2. Etc. :lol:

I'll do Shader's, maybe Kesyl's, but that's probably the end of these. They're kind of distracting, methinks :lol:.