The HEAVY music thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Rye
To Mega Therion

The HEAVY music thread

Post by Rye »

Post links to your favourite Heavy music videos or streamable audio, give reviews, whatever. Now, I think I'm being pretty lenient here, but the songs MUST be as heavy as the heavier slipknot songs or heavier in order to enter. That means Spit it Out and Surfacing.

First up is brutal tech death metal band Hate Eternal with I, Monarch, notice the imperial logo on the bassist's tshirt! :D

Early Hate Eternal song (not as good)- Powers that be.

Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma. I'm not really a fan of BDM, but I posted this since I think that they use earlier Hate Eternal riffs only slowed down and slightly rearranged.

My favourite band, Fear Factory, with one of their best songs, Demanufacture.

Now, Nile are a band everyone mentions when you bring up technical death metal, and with good reason; they're technical, very heavy and original. Here's one of their slower songs, Sarcophagus.

There are also videos for Sacrifice unto sebek and Execration text.

Industrial blackened death metal, Zyklon have a video for Core Solution which is nice and heavy and methodical.

The band insision I'd not heard before youtube, and I probably wouldn't buy any of their stuff, but their sound is fucking heavy and not pure noise, the video is a bit dull, and the vocals are nothing special, but the guitars and drums are quality. We did not come to heal.

Immolation are one of those bands you get told were pioneers of Death Metal, and you fear listening to them, because that probably means "wall of fucking noise" which can get on your tits, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I gave them a listen. Perhaps the lowest vocals I've heard without cheating (i.e. multi-layering, pitchshifters), the title track of the amazing album, Harnessing Ruin.

One of my favourite bands because not only were they world leaders in pioneering a slower, more rocky Death Metal, but they were local to this region, and they even appeared in Red Dwarf as lister's band "Smeg and the Heads", the band Carcass with Incarnated Solvent Abuse which is my favourite Carcass song.

Getting noisier now, but with less noise and more melody and technicality than I would've thought, Cephalic Carnage's song Dying Will Be the Death of Me, with an amusing video where they kidnap and presumably kill an emo kid.

Probably the best song by one-trick ponies, Deicide, Scars of the Crucifix, full of the average antichristianity stuff, but the rhythm is cool.

Brujeria, mextremist terrorist drug dealers, ;) with tales of running the US border and dealing drugswith one of their finest songs, La Ley De Plomo, "the blessed lead".

Fucking heavy blackened technical death from europe, with Behemoth - Slaves Shall (FUCKING) Serve.

Here's the extremely melodic and slow (for them) Pestilence that walketh in darkness by canadian technical death band cryptopsy.

Another nice slow/tech death song, Kataklysm's As I Slither, Crippled and Broken and In Shadows and Dust, also from Canada.
Last edited by Rye on 2006-05-22 02:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Does power metal fall into this category?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Not reeeeeally, unless you've got power metal with sufficiently intense instrumentation to compete with it. Power metal that would make sense in this thread:

The finest heavy power metal song ever, in my opinion: Downfall by Children of Bodom. Sixpounder and Deadnight Warrior.
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Fair enough.

I was planning to post a quick review of a Dragonforce concert I saw on Wednesday. Though I don't think it was intense instrumentation as much as it was just really fucking big loud speakers in a small club.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Gandalf wrote:Fair enough.

I was planning to post a quick review of a Dragonforce concert I saw on Wednesday. Though I don't think it was intense instrumentation as much as it was just really fucking big loud speakers in a small club.
Dragonforce used to have dimmu's drummer, and their technicality is top notch, so I think they can count... I'll be lenient, so long as nobody starts posting lacuna coil, evanescence or fucking nightwish. :P
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

My first metal concert since Sunk Loto in 2004; Dragonforce at the Gaelic Theatre in Sydney.

Short version: It fucking rocked.

Long version:

After arriving about 2 and a half hours early (6th in line, bitches!), we were let into the (soldout) venue. Dragonforce just walked in through the front door about two hours before it started, saying hi to the fans that were already there.

The opening act were an Australian group called Black Majesty. They had some decent songs, and an amusing highlight when the lead singer dropped the microphone in frontman horseplay. We spent the time of this opening act on the top floor, "overlooking" the mosh pit and stage. They produced some good sounds, though any lyrics got really drowned out.

Then came the main event. The crowd went nuts, and the mosh sprang out of nowhere. Bigger and better than before, being on the periphery of it allowed me to be hit with the occasional stray mosher.

Most of the songs were from the Inhuman Rampage album, so it was the main way I recognised any of them. The highlight of the Dragonforce gig was a moment in between songs when the keyboardist was playing solo while the rest of the band was offstage. He had two or three set up, and just blew the crowd away. But the real climax of it was when he worked a few seconds of the theme from The Simpsons into his playing.

8.5 out of 10.

- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I consider this heavy, but you may not.

Kittie - Brackish
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I think Slayer is the only band I listen to that qualifies. Some Metallica songs such as "Harvester of Sorrow" are pretty heavy but overall they fall a bit short. Other than that I don't really listen to heavy music.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Interesting story, my Spanish teacher in Secondary School was Bill Steers (from Carcass & Napalm Death) mum.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Love? by Strapping Young Lad

One of my favorite bands and hopefully more than heavy enough for this thread. \m/
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Einherjer - Ironbound
Not that heavy maybe, and the video is sooooo cheesy. But it's decent music, pity this is the only video I could find.

Exodus - War is My Shepherd
Same as above, crappy video.

Sepultura - Territory

Megadeth - Hangar 18
IMHO, their best song. This video is a lot better.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Norther with Death Unlimited, Released, and Mirror of Madness.

Kalmah with Withering Away, They Will Return, and Mindrust. I think the second two are fan videos, but the songs rock.

Wintersun with Beyond the Dark Sun.

Mastodon with Crusher/Destroyer. A live version, but this song...well, crushes and destroys. I love the drums on this song. Also, there's March of the Fire Ants.

Heaven Shall Burn with The Weapon They Fear.

Bolt Thrower with Inside the Wire and The IVth Crusade

The Crown brings Face of Destruction/Deep Hit of Death. A great band that went long before their time.

Melodic Death Metal kings Dark Tranquillity come at you with The New Build, and The Wonders at Your Feet. The second one is a manga fan video.

Marduk: Hearse and World Funeral. A couple of cheesy videos from these Swedish black metal legends.

And, last but not least, there's Satyricon's NSFW opus Fuel for Hatred NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

That's enough for now.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Hanzel Und Gretyl, SS Deathstar Super Galaktik, Advent Children

Pretty much the only super-heavy band I regularly listen to.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

My favorite hemy metal band Hammerfall

Blood Bound

Hearts on Fire

Renegade

Ehh not as heavy as slipknot, sorry as usual I went ahead and posted first. Delete is deemed nessesary.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I didn't think this needed a new thread, but I did think it needed showing.

Children of Bodom cover Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again

:lol:
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Rye wrote: I didn't think this needed a new thread, but I did think it needed showing.

Children of Bodom cover Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again

:lol:
I'm disappointed. I had hoped to see Alexi in a tight schoolgirl outfit. :D

As for music:

Finntroll

Old Man's Child

Samael from their early material

Immortal
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

God I feel old. Heavy metal to me meant the 1980's 'hair bands'
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I saw these videos and HAD to breathe new life back into this thread:

There are two over-dubbed videos and a lot of effort's gone into them, they work fantastically well:

Spongebob Squarepants sings Job for a Cowboy - Knee Deep and The Shrek cast sing "As I Slither" by Kataklysm.

GENIUS. Absolute GENIUS. :lol: Especially the dual vocal bit with the gingerbread man.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I just got sent this by a friend:

Anchor Head Darth Metal, star wars themed progressive metal with death vocals.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Crimson Glory - Lonely (From Transcendence album)
Yeah, I know this isn't exactly "Slipknot-heavy" but it's an awesome and oft overlooked 80's progmetal band in the class of Queensryche or Fates Warning.
Spin Echo
Jedi Master

Post by Spin Echo »

Since the thread is still lagging a bit, I'm jet lagged and like the Finnish, I post:

Moonsorrow - Kylän Päässä
They have Trollhorn from Finntroll as a guitarist. In theory I should be in the video, but I haven't managed to find myself. I was near the guy with the heavy Moomin.

Insomnium - Elder
The video isn't that impressive, but I like the song.

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus -Lumessakahlaajat
While perhaps not as harsh as Slipnot, I still think their material can be classified as heavy.