Unity III: Against All Odds, Redux (Complete)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:I will say I really do enjoy your Annika points. You have fleshed her out and made her grown beyond, two orbs bouncing on the bridge.
Thank you. I always thought it was rather disengenous of Voyager to go in the direction of "Seven's trying to reclaim her humanity" and have so little actual evolution there, and what does come is usually forced and comes with the optional magic reset button. This has been my chance to kind of rectify that.
Ghost Rider wrote: Of the older, well it's funny to see Sebastion and your description of the Klingons is definitly TNG onward...which is sad. Given that we saw that Klingons can be as duplicitious as Romulans, but ah well...dreams will be dreams :) . Still the Hippo hopscotch is a perfect analogy of what they became in any department requiring subtle touches.
Heh, it's the brainbug paradox: how do you be true to the canon while still trying to escape the cliches? That was part of what made Gorren such a struggle to hit the proper balance on.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Very nice. IIRC though shouldn't Seven recognise Seb's lightsabre?
Spoiler
There were a few inconsistencies that I've had to struggle with when I did the re-write. You saw another one in this chapter; originally Seven had arranged quarters for Sebastian on the Enterprise at Sisko's request, when I had made it clear that Luke and Seven had been engaged for him to be allowed to stay on board (it was only a vital plot component, Sonnenburg! argh!).

With this one, there just didn't seem any way around it. Sebastian has to have that lightsaber; it effects events major events in all three stories of the second trilogy. Any reasonable concern would require its removal, and obviously it couldn't happen, so the only explanation in-universe I can give is that Seven just assumed double-bladed lightsabers basically look the same (which given that she's only ever seen one wouldn't be a stretch).
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Second part for today; be sure to read 15 first.

Part XVI

Leia and Picard sat together at lunch to hash out the current political situation. It's a strange humanoid trait that eating and conversation -both of which monopolize the same orifice- are linked, but it has been that way for a long while and is unlikely to change. The subject of conversation in this case was, in contrast to the meal, quite stomach turning.

"Has there been a formal declaration of war?" Leia asked as she took a sip of wine.

"Not yet," Picard said heavily, "But it seems that war might just be inevitable."

"I can't see Martok allowing that," Leia replied. "He's a warrior of course, but he knows what battles to fight and which to avoid."

"Things have changed on Quo'nos," Picard said. "The Klingons are having trouble adapting to the new galaxy. I think they fear that, without enemies, their culture will stagnate. And obviously they've been strong enemies of the Romulans for decades. You are no doubt aware of the conflict between the two throughout their time in the Alliance."

Leia knew all too well, having to intervene on dozens of occassions when it seemed the diplomats would actually come to blows. "Klingon diplomacy" was almost a contradiction in terms, but they had fought side by side against the Empire in many a battle. Maybe that was the problem; without anyone left to hate their old feelings started to assert themselves. What's left, in the end, for a warrior living in an era of peace? "Surely Martok-" she began.

"Martok is not supreme ruler," Picard interrupted. "He has to accept what the High Council decides if they are united against him, which it seems they are."

Leia thought about this. "Rather convenient, isn't it, that a Klingon ship is destroyed so close to Romulan space without any real proof of how it was destroyed."

Picard nodded gravely. "The Klingons claim it was because it was destroyed by Romulans, but obviously that's unlikely. There was nothing gained by destroying the transport that I'm aware of."

"Are we certain?" Leia said. "The Klingons claimed it was transporting food and medical supplies, but could it have been a weapon that was to be used against the Romulans?"

"It is possible," Picard said slowly, "But it's not very likely. If the Romulans had known about it, they would have either told us or arranged things for us to discover it. Destroying it outright, in this obvious a manner, would have been their last resort. I think it's more than likely someone else, someone who wants to increase the tension between them."

Leia considered a thought to horrible to be real. "The Klingons didn't destroy their own ship, did they? To have an excuse to start a war?"

"No," Picard said decisively. "If so war would have already been declared, and in any case they wouldn't need this as an excuse; there's plenty of things to 'justify' an attack on Romulus."

"Given recent Imperial activity then," Leia said, "I wonder if they're involved."

"It could be," Picard said. "We know Thrawn enjoyed playing both sides against the middle, it's possible his successor has learned how to do it as well." He sighed. "Even if they are, as always we need to clean up the mess. If this leads to war it could put us in a very uncomfortable position."

"Yes," Leia agreed. "If we don't support the Romulans the Alliance will be over. But if we do fight against the Klingons our already dwindled resources would be exhausted. We barely have the forces to patrol for Cardassian raiders."

"And the gulf between the Federation and the Klingons would grow even wider," Picard observed with disappointment. Aside of a brief conflict during the Dominion War that relationship had been quite strong. He had heard about the time before, when the Federation and the Klingons were at each other's throats; he didn't relish the thought of recreating that era. “Let us hope that diplomacy can succeed before weapons are brought to bear.”

“I will most definitely drink to that,” Leia said as she raised her glass. The meal continued in silence, but there was no mistaking the cloud that hovered over them as they thought of their precarious situation. Just when things seemed to be at their worst, it seemed something new would come along and prove them wrong. Leia just hoped that Han was having better luck than she was.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Corran Horn finished unloading the last of the cargo containers onto the cart, then wiped the sweat from his brow. It was more work than he'd done getting here, which was so simple a Kowakian could do it, and about as interesting as watching milk congeal. But even though he'd chosen to resign his commission rather than be discharged, somehow his reputation had been tainted by what had happened. One screw-up, and his life was ruined. Of course, it had been even worse for the dead pilots...

Corran finished signing off on the delivery, passed it over to the dock master, and saw them. Han Solo, Chewbacca, two of the most well-known figures of the Rebellion who never cashed in, who did the job until it was done and then moved on. That was their way; they did the things that had to be done, and never thought to parlay it into anything. "Horn," Han said from where he leaned against a landing strut, "got a minute?" Corran nodded. "Let's take a walk."

Han and Corran walked side-by-side through the docking bay, Chewie staying back a little to keep his eyes open for things. That was another thing about the pair; they were always cautious. "You know that Vader was the father of Luke and Leia, right?" Corran nodded. "He did a lot of bad things to a lot of people over the years... but he came around eventually, tried to- hell, I don't know."

"What's this about?" Corran asked.

Han still focused straight ahead. "He's dead." Corran tuned and looked at him. "Romulans found the body."

"How?" Corran asked. "How did he die, I mean?"

"That's what I plan to find out," Han said. "I admit, I never liked him, even after he switched sides, but... he's Leia's father. For her sake, I'm gonna find out."

Corran started putting things together. He had experience in CorSec before joining the Rebellion. "You need an investigator."

"I've got an investigator," Han said. "Half an hour with her and she'll tell me every place you've been the past half a year. But you have a touch of the Force, and that could mean something in this case."

"So you want me to look into this?"

"That's right."

"I have a job right now," Corran said. "I leave, the company'll hire somebody else."

"You want back in, that it?" Han asked.

"Yes."

Han nodded a little, not looking at him. "When you're done, you get your commission back. You work in Republic security. You never get into a cockpit again."

"That's not good enough," Corran said.

Han shrugged. "Then I guess we're done." He and Chewie started walking away.

"Wait!" They stopped. "I know I screwed up-"

"Listen," Han said, "I've known Wedge Antilles for going on ten years and I'll tell you two things about him. One, the man is incapable of holding a grudge. Two, he never grounds a pilot he can use. If he says you don't belong in a fighter, that's gospel truth to me." Chewie roared and nodded.

"Just give me a chance!" Corran pleaded.

"You made your choice, Horn," Han said. "You live with the consequences. Now is it going to be Republic security or glorified delivery boy?"

Corran took a deep breath, then looked back at the cargo vessel he'd come in on. It'd be nice not to have to fly back out of here on that thing, he thought. "Okay," he said. "Okay, I'm in."

"Load your stuff onto the Falcon," Han said. "Next stop's the Gamma Quadrant."

Ben and Sebastian were already waiting in Holodeck One when Seven arrived, the Tsunkatse program running although the audience had been removed. She wore her black combat suit, her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, and a look of uncertainty. She had thought she’d honed her fighting abilities to near perfection, but her latest battle, if you could call that pathetic display a battle, had met with an easy defeat. She wasn’t all that eager to re-enter the arena.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Ben said as she stepped down into the arena. Sebastian sat quietly off to the side as he stepped over. “We’re ready to begin.”

“What exactly are we doing?” Seven asked uncertainly.

“This is when we start your training,” he said with a smile, and he took her arm and led her into the center of the arena. “You’re going to need to be on top of your game when the time comes.”

“And what time is that,” Seven asked with a slight note of distrust.

“One thing at a time,” Ben said. “Let’s see what you can do. Computer, one Klingon warrior.” The sneering visage of a Klingon stared down from a form that nearly topped two meters. He was unarmed, but from his looks he didn’t really need any weapons besides his fists. Seven looked over to Ben. “Well,” he said.

“What, you want me to fight him?”

“That’s the idea, yes,” Ben said. “Can you do it?”

The Klingon lunged. Seven ducked under his grip and brought her right elbow up under his chin, snapping his head back. While he was briefly stunned she pulled back her fist and connected with his mouth, knocking him off his feet and backwards a good two meters to fall flat on his back. He didn’t even twitch. “That was exhausting,” Seven deadpanned.

“Very good,” Ben said. “Your strength and reflexes are exceptional, and I know you’ve got a good combat sense, that’s one of the reasons I wanted you.”

“Really,” Seven replied, completely unswayed. “I’m flattered.”

“But you’ve got a long way to go,” Ben said. “Sebastian.” The young Jedi got up and stepped over to the duo. “I want you two to spar,” he said. “Annika, do everything you can to try and hit him.”

“Are you crazy?” she replied. “I could kill him.”

“He’s tougher than he looks,” Ben answered. “Anyway, I want you to face a living mind, not a computer generated opponent. Let’s see what you’re really capable of.”

Seven and Sebastian circled one another slowly, eyes fixed on one another as it all started. “Begin,” Ben said. Seven swung a quick crescent kick with her right foot that Sebastian caught in his hands. Seven brought her other leg up to try and catch him off guard, but he lifted her other foot and stepped away, causing her to fall flat on her back. Immediately on impact she rolled onto her stomach and pushed hard on the floor, using her momentum while she twisted to drive her foot into his solar plexus... except he spun out of the way as she regained her balance. She speared at him with her fingers three times, each time he twisted out of the way. After the third time she followed up with a blow to the stomach that he caught and redirected, using her momentum to drive her face into his elbow.

Seven stumbled back briefly before setting herself up again. Sebastian didn’t press the advantage, and finally she decided to try again, this time with a bit more fury. He stepped back as she double-punched, then ducked as she attempted a chop at his neck with her right hand, quickly followed with a swing of her left arm as she turned, and brought back her other elbow towards his face. Each time she missed her target. As her elbow passed over his head she brought her fist down, but this time he rolled under it and came back up, narrowly twisting out of the quick sidekick that followed. He grabbed her leg and twisted, knocking her off balance and dropping her to the floor. Immediately she pushed off it and spun a reverse roundhouse that grazed his robe as he leaped backwards.

She set her jaw and attacked again, this time her hands almost a blur as she punched and chopped at him, and every time his body managing to get out of the way before the limb would arrive. She gave up on defense, concentrating solely on overwhelming him until he made a mistake, and still every swing, jab, kick, slice, and punch met nothing but empty air. As she overextended on the last one, his palm came up and caught her in the forehead, knocking her backward in a slight daze. She quickly shook it off, but again he didn’t even bother pressing the advantage. He was going easy on her, and that was the worst part of all.

“That’s it!” Seven said in frustration as she turned away from Sebastian and started walking towards the edge of the arena. “I’ve had it!”

“Annika-” Ben began.

“I don’t want to hear it,” she snapped. “What’s the point, to humiliate me?”

“No,” Ben said with sympathy, “To teach a lesson that will save your life.”

She turned back, her skepticism apparent. “And what is that?”

“That if you face Darth Whind again,” he said as he stepped towards her, “you cannot rely on your strength and speed alone.”

“I learned that the first time,” Seven shot back.

“No you didn’t,” Ben said, not unkindly. “If so you wouldn’t have made the same mistakes. You attacked Sebastian as if he were just another opponent, but he isn’t. He has the Force, and you must never forget that. It is the great divider, what ensures that no matter how strong or fast or well trained you are, you will never defeat him. He will always be one step ahead of you.”

Seven scoffed. “Then what’s the point?”

“The point is that you’ve got to stop thinking along those lines,” Ben said with earnest. “It’s not your muscles that need conditioning Annika, it’s up here,” he tapped the side of his head. “You need to learn how to fight in your mind, to neutralize his advantage so you have a chance, because next time your opponent may be trying to kill you, and they won’t stop with a leg.”

Annika knew he was probably right, but her frustration and anger was simply too much. She turned and walked out of the holodeck as Sebastian stepped over by Ben’s side. “Well, she took that rather well,” he said.

“It’s not easy to learn that your best is inadequate,” Sisko said to him. “But she’s aware of the truth now, and that’s the important thing.”

Sebastian still didn’t like it. “Was it necessary to humiliate her like that?” he asked bitterly.

Ben turned to him with slight surprise. “This is her life we’re talking about,” he said plainly. “If she’s not prepared-”

“Look, I’m just saying maybe we could’ve been a little easier on her.” Ben could see how conflicted Sebastian was over this. “Darth Whind already destroyed her confidence once, we didn’t have to repeat it.”

Ben was a bit taken aback by his emotion. “I understand,” he said finally. “Just know that what I do, I do not just for her, but for countless lives.”

“Maybe,” Sebastian said, “But you worry me sometimes. I think you’ve lost what makes you human. You’ve forgotten what we mere mortals think and feel.” He was visibly frustrated. “You’ve got to stop looking at us like pieces on a chessboard.”

“This is no game,” Ben replied.

“Then stop acting like it is!” Sebastian shouted. “You’re so detached, as if this whole thing was some holodeck fantasy or simulation; you seem to have forgotten that it’s real people who are suffering and dying out there.”

What was eerie about Ben’s reply was the lack of emotion. It was so chilling... even a Vulcan would have been taken aback by it. “I watched them all, Sebastian. Every death, every life, I was there. I was there when my own son, my Jake, was killed by Imperials. I am only too aware of the price that needs to be paid.”

“And yet you do nothing.” Sebastian found it hard to keep the contempt out of his voice. “We both know you could stop any of these things. The Ben Sisko who was in Starfleet would never have allowed that. He wouldn’t stand by and watch people die.”

“He had the luxury of being weak,” Sisko replied.

“Compassion is not a weakness!” Sebastian shouted.

“I didn’t say it was.” Ben shook his head. “Yes, I could have stopped any of those events.” He paused, and Sebastian could see the man beneath the cracks now, and there was a restrained frustration. It was as if he were trying to explain color to a blind man and lacked the reference. “You can’t know what it’s like to watch and know you can stop the injustice, and yet know you can’t interfere.”

“Yes you can!” Sebastian insisted.

“No!” Ben said, but then the restraint was back. “Because to act will only make the situation worse. And that is the curse, the price that is paid for power. Your every intervention only succeeds in setting things back all the more.” It seemed that his strong frame was sagging in exhaustion as he paused, and Sebastian could see the weight on the other man’s shoulders. “I had the luxury once of being uncertain about the future, and of having little influence over it. Now that all is clear and within my grasp, I realize what a terrible responsibility it is. I have to be resolute constantly, never showing weakness because if I do I’ll give in to my temptations.” He closed his eyes and seemed to almost sag as he thought about it. “To watch an injustice and be powerless to change it... this I thought was the greatest torment. Now I know it’s to have the power to change it, and to know that you can’t!”

Sebastian stepped forward as Ben closed his eyes, as if suddenly very tired. “What’s wrong?” he asked with concern, all feelings of anger vanishing.

“I have to go for a while,” he said. “The nemesis is nearly prepared. I need to see to it myself. And I must ready things for beyond the conflict, because even if we do win, Sebastian... but then, you know all about that.” And then he just faded into nothing.

Sebastian stared at the empty space for a while, thinking on Ben’s words. Finally, he left the holodeck, unable to shake the feeling of dread at his behavior. If even he was powerless, he thought, what hope does the rest of the galaxy have?
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XVII

Chewie and Han descended the ramp of the Millennium Falcon with typical care, their weapons held with the practice they'd honed after landing on hundreds of hostile worlds over the years. A quick check of the area and they concluded it was safe enough, although that didn't take the edge off. Corran Horn wasn't too far behind, and taking up the rear was Three, Wedge's drone mechanic who had been loaned for this investigation. Han figured a Borg's perspective could be useful for when Seven received the data. "Where was the body found?" Corran asked.

Han checked the Romulan report. "About thirty meters this way," he said, leading the group across the scrubland. "About here," Han said as they reached a spot which looked pretty much like any other on the planet. Funny, you'd think there'd be something to mark the passing of a former lord of the Sith.

"According to the report," Corran said, "it looked like he was hit with a blunt object rather than an energy weapon. That means close quarter combat, assuming he wasn't hit with a cannonball." He pulled out a tricorder and tapped the buttons with a slow precision. "I know this is a stupid question, but who wanted him dead?"

"That's the thing," Han said. "You could fill a Death Star with all the people who want him dead, but there's really not any who'd want to kill him."

"I'm not sure I follow," Corran replied, trying to work the tricorder.

Chewie growled. "Exactly," Han agreed. "Anyone who'd do it would be public about it. The Cardassians wanted to put him on trial; if they'd killed him, they'd have his head on a pike. Boba Fett would've taken him to at least claim the victory. The Empire would've executed him as a traitor. But to just murder him and slip off, it doesn't make sense."

"So," Corran said as he thumped the tricorder and tried again, "their intent may not have been murder. They could have come for some other reason." He checked the readings. "Hang on," he muttured. "This could be... ah! Piece of shit!" He slammed the tricorder shut and turned to Three. "Hey, get your implanted ass down here," he said to the drone. "Tell me if this is right."

Three ambled over and looked at the area. "Calcium deposits, carbon compounds, organic materials," he said slowly.

"Someone burned a body, didn't they," Corran remarked. Three agreed. "I assume it wasn't an animal."

Three looked it over carefully and then bent down and picked up a small scrap of something. "Artificial fibers," he stated. "Type unknown."

"Clothing," Han said, "Which suggests another body." This was frustrating. He had come here to try and get Leia some answers. It seemed all there was to find was more questions.

"That's his shelter?" Corran asked before heading up to it, the others close behind. The inside showed the effects of neglect: dust, mold, small vermin. Corran snapped a shot with the holo-imager for later reference. He began poking about.

"What're we looking for?" Han asked.

"What's not here?" Corran said.

"We can do that back on the ship," he muttered. The place made him edgy in a way he couldn't describe. It was as if the man would return at any moment, and he wasn't sure which version of the man it would be.

"They might have come for something," Corran said. "Who knows. Did Vader take anything special with him?"

"Not that I know of," Han said. "He just kind of slipped away. Not so much as a note."

Corran stopped and slowly turned around the room. "This is the hard part," he said, more to himself than anyone else. "It's easy to spot something that's here, it's harder to spot what's not." He tapped the tricorder absentmindedly as he thought. "What would a Sith have that a regular person wouldn't."

Chewie gave a growl. "A Jedi," Han translated. "He wasn't a Sith any more, just a man trying to leave the past behind." He thought about Luke's description of Vader fighting Boba Fett, fighting to leave that life he had grown so ashamed of. Yeah, he had changed; even Han wouldn't have let Boba Fett live after all that, but Vader refused to kill again. Just disarmed him, ha-ha.

And then it hit him, the one thing that was missing. "How could we have missed that?" he mumbled.

"What?" Corran Horn asked.

"Three," he said quickly, "You didn't spot any technology or weapons out there, did you?"

"Nothing anomalous," Three said.

"He's missing his lightsaber," Han said. "It wasn't with the body and it's not here. Somebody's taken it."

Corran Horn turned this around in his head. "Let's not jump ahead. Describe it."

Han thought back. He'd stared at it on more than one occassion in their quarters on Romulus while Vader had been incarcerated. It had an almost hypnotizing quality, the terror of knowing what it had done, now sitting so helplessly on his table, waiting to be picked up and used again. He couldn't help but remember it. "About eleven inches long. Silver with a black grip, slightly raised in a striped pattern. There was a dial in the handle and a switch located halfway along it."

"Okay, are you sure he would have it?" Corran asked.

"A Jedi never abandons his lightsaber if he can help it," Han confirmed. "It's not just a weapon, it's... I don't know... a symbol. Kind of like a trophy, only more personal. Anyway, there's no way he would have thrown it away."

"All right," Corran said as he thought. "Obviously the Romulans wouldn't take it."

"Dead right," Han said. The Romulans had been nervous enough collecting his body, there was no way any of them would even think of stealing his weapon.

"If you're right, and he still had it, he should have had it during the fight." Corran thought. "Could it have been taken as a trophy?"

"Leia said that some Jedi take their enemies' lightsaber as a prize," Han said. "That might be possible. Only problem is, I don't know any Jedi that could have cracked open his helmet like that."

Corran thought. "Hirogen's often take trophies."

Chewie started sniggering and Han shot him a dirty look before turning back to Corran. "Yeah, but that doesn't sound like their style. They would've taken parts of his body or his helmet or something, not just leave it like that."

"Still, we can't afford to rule them out yet," Corran said. "Besides, it's not as if there are a whole lot of Jedi around. Your wife is pretty much it."

And the Sith. And Luke, Han thought. But most people thought he was dead. Could he have finally found his father, only to murder him? That was so screwed up it was almost funny; the evil Luke striking down the good Darth Vader. Still, given the fact that he had tried to kill his own fiancée, it wasn't surprising he might try to kill his own father.

In a deep core world of the galaxy sat the capital of an empire that ruled over a million settled worlds and orders of magnitude above that in total systems. At this center of the empire the frequent squabblings over power continued due to the inevitable result of concentrating power in one place. And thus Bastion was a hotbed of political infighting, but amongst it all one man seemed oblivious to it. He possessed a calm and devotion that surprised many, the most intriguing being that he actually seemed to believe the stuff that everyone just said, things about devotion to the Empire and the people. It was almost nauseating the way he walked about with an aura of calm devotion. But of course, at the end of the day, he was still only human.

At this moment General Taar was storming through the halls of Bastion, the officers noting the uncharacteristic anger in his eyes and quickly shuffling out of his way. After some time, how long he couldn’t say, he finally found her. After the frustration of the search his mouth decided to speak without first consulting his brain. “Did you attack the Dominion homeworld?” he demanded.

Darth Whind, who was in the Great Library, put down the datapad and looked at him, her eyes narrowing at his atypical disrespect. “I am handling the Dominion,” she said flatly.

“I am missing over fifty star destroyers,” he said angrily. “Kuat Drives tells me they launched last week, except they are nowhere to be found.”

“Really?” she said with disinterest.

“Fifty battleships do not just vanish,” he said hotly. “Only a person in the highest levels of Imperial government could order the crewing and launching of these ships, and I know I didn’t do it.”

“General, what are you saying?”

Her innocent tone only annoyed him further. “You took those ships without telling me about it. Ships that were constructed to protect the Empire, not to run errands. If you need vessels they will be provided on your every whim, but this is a waste of resources.”

“The ships are mine to do with as I please,” she said a little more darkly. “Never forget that.”

“Then why bother with us?” Taar demanded. “What’s the point of a military that is not properly prepared and organized to defend the borders of the Empire because our resources are being squandered by inflated egos?!”

Darth Whind stood up. The effect was meant to be humbling but Taar’s frustration and anger held it at bay. “Also never forget that you serve me, general.”

“No ma’am,” he said with his head held high, “I serve the Empire.”

“I AM the Empire,” she hissed.

The tone penetrated and Delric Taar realized what he was saying and doing, and his spine prickled as the thought ripened. Still, he couldn’t let that remark stand. “You command the Empire,” he conceded, “But it is far bigger than even you.”

Her eyes blazed in response, and he felt it. He had heard it described before, but he’d never actually seen it. It was like someone had placed a vice around his trachea and refused to relinquish. He choked slightly as his body started demanding oxygen, his eyes widening in shock as he realized he was going to die. And then, just as suddenly as it had come, it stopped, and he took in huge lungfuls of air. He looked over at Darth Whind, and was surprised. She looked at him, not with malice or disgust, but horror, and without another word she stormed past him out of the Great Library.

Unlike the now confused general, her trip through Bastion was quite short. She followed the Force and marched into their quarters while Skywalker practiced, the flash of his red saber creating streaks in the air. He turned it off as she approached, his face expressionless, his lips silent.

“Have you finished with the Vulcan?” she asked hurriedly.

Skywalker paused and then shook his head.

“Then I suggest you get to work,” she said testily. “Now!”

Skywalker considered this and then hooked on his lightsaber and left. She slumped down in a chair with exhaustion. “Focus Mara,” she said to herself. “Remember the course that destiny has laid before you. Don’t waver, be strong.” It is a difficult thing sometimes, being a Sith. Peace is not a part of one's being, and so her soul was in heavy conflict. But she had a plan, and that was something to stand by, something to focus on. In the end, there would be triumph, and that was all that mattered.

“Enter,” Seven said as the door chimed to her quarters. It slid open and in carefully stepped the young Jedi, holding a katiskat board in his hands.

“Peace offering?” he said as he held out the board.

“No need,” Seven said with a slight sigh. “I’m sorry I got upset before.” She gestured to the table where he could set the board up.

“You had every right,” Sebastian replied as he came over. “It wasn’t necessary to do what we did, and I’m sorry.” He set the board down and began setting up the pieces.

"Do you always play red?” Seven asked.

“Yes,” he replied. “Is that a problem?”

“No,” she answered. “I actually prefer the green ones.”

“Interesting coincidence,” he observed. “At least we can get along when playing katiskat.”

"Look, really, I don't hold anything against you."

"That's very kind of you, because I'd feel pretty crummy in your place. If it’s any consolation, I gave Ben a good tongue lashing.”

Seven laughed just a little. “No, it’s my fault. I don’t like not being in control of the situation, and being so obviously vulnerable...“

Sebastian nodded. “You don’t like being at someone else’s mercy.”

"Something like that," she said. "I don't suppose you'd understand how terrifying it can be to be completely helpless."

Sebastian stopped what he was doing. He turned back, and she was in full Borg drone appearance. "Unworthy!" 7 of 9 snarled at him.

"Sebastian?" Seven said with concern.

Jorri was standing next to Seven. "I thought you weren't afraid of anything," she said with disgust. "I should have known better. You're a coward."

"What's wrong?" Seven asked as Sebastian turned away.

"I..." He cleared his throat. "You may be surprised to learn this, but Jedi are flesh and blood too."

"I know," Seven said, coming over and patting his shoulder kindly. "Believe me, I know."

Sebastian gave a laugh. "Yeah, I suppose you do."

Seven cleared her throat. "How much do you know?"

Sebastian looked into her face, then turned away. "Everything."

"I see," Seven said. There was an uncomfortable silence; Seven sat on the edge of the bed, not really looking at him.

"He did the right thing," Sebastian finally said. "I know you might not agree, but, even if he didn't fall over the planet, he would have fallen regardless. You're not supposed to become that attached, but it still happens... we're only human, after all."

“I suppose you know what it’s like,” Seven said, indicating the lightsaber.

“No. We’re not like that. She’s just someone I care for, but not in that way.”

“I see,” Seven said. “Is there someone you do care for in that way. If you don’t mind my asking,” she added quickly. “I don’t want to sound like Borui here.” Somehow she could sense his hesitation. “It’s okay, I don’t mean to pry.”

“Yes,” Sebastian said finally. “But it could never work out. I’m a Jedi and she has responsibilities-“

“Luke is a Jedi, and I have responsibilities,” Seven observed.

“No way. You have to be responsible in order to have responsibilities.” She threw a pillow at him for the remark but smiled just the same. “I guess I’m afraid. Look, Luke’s coming back to you. I believe it, know it. But it’s because of his love that he gave in to darkness, and it will be because of his love for you that he’ll find the way back. But I don’t know if I can be that strong, if I can surrender myself to her and not become lost; and if so, find the strength to overcome.”

Seven was quiet as she reflected on his words. “I appreciate your optimism. I think you’re probably the only person on this ship who believes Luke’s going to come back. But I’ve got to tell you that you’re wrong about yourself. You’re strong, Sebastian; I haven’t known you long, but I can still see it.”

“You don’t understand, Seven. I- I can feel your hurt. I try not to because it’s your business, but sometimes it’s so strong -“ He couldn’t find the words to finish.

“It is,” she conceded grimly. “Sometimes it’s almost overwhelming. But you’re looking at this all backwards, Sebastian. Do you think I feel this way out of rejection? I don’t care what people think, or haven’t you noticed. Do you think it’s because I need a man in my life that I wait for Luke? I have friends, companionship, everything I need. And my life is really no different now than it was before I became involved with him. But I hurt, Sebastian. I hurt because there was something in my life that’s been taken away, someone who made each day better just because he was part of it. I feel his absence, and I don’t want that. But at the same time, it’s only because of the time we had that I knew how much sweeter my life could be. Those times, Sebastian, were the greatest I’ve ever had-“ She had to stop talking to try to contain the tears. Before he knew it he had put his arms around her; she didn’t resist. He screwed his eyes shut as she cried quietly into his shoulder.

"He'll come back to you, Seven," he said quietly. "I swear it."

"I think of him being with her," she said. "And it... it..."

"I know, Seven," he said. "I know."

"Why c-can't he see what I can give him?" she lamented quietly.

Sebastian closed his eyes and held her. Thank God you can't read thoughts, he thought. 'Cause then you'd know... know how much seeing you hurt hurts me. Know how much I wish I could take it away. He squeezed her closer to him. Know how much I love you.
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh the woes of being time displaced.

Though I do feel sorry for poor Corran, he's not that bad a person really.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2006-05-22 05:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thank you, but oy with the spoilers! :)
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:angelic: What spoilers?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Bless you, kind sir. :D
Chuck

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Good! The stronger ties with the second trilogy is quite evident here.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:Good! The stronger ties with the second trilogy is quite evident here.
Thanks, always trying to keep pointing forward. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XVIII

Han fidgeted with the controls of the Millennium Falcon as he thought back on the investigation into Vader's murder. Further searches of the area had produced nothing of any real value, but they collected piles of data to be sifted through by him and Seven of Nine; hopefully that would be enough. The long trip back to Republic space gave him time to mull it over. Corran had already begun filling out some reports, for all the good it would do, but Han wasn't sure if they'd ever find out who had been responsible. As he always did, he avoided the wormhole; something about the passage made him nervous, and he would rather spend the extra day or two on his ship than take it. Besides, it gave him more time to think. The more he thought about it, the more he wondered if it was his brother-in-law. Luke had always been a powerful Jedi, who knows what he was capable of with the power of the Sith. Actually, thinking back to the report of what he'd done at the Borg homeworld, he knew exactly what he was capable of. The thought made him even more depressed.

With Chewie in the co-pilot seat, Han pushed the hyperdrive controls forward as they reached Sanctuary to drop off Corran and Three at Starbase 213. He had expected to see warships, and he did. He had just assumed that they would be Federation and Republic warships.

Chewie roared in surprise and Han was too stunned to even speak. Aw no, not now, he thought as they swarmed through space. Not the Jem'hadar.

Picard was at work in his office when the door chimed. What was odd was that it was late evening; he was only here because of some rushed paperwork. "Come," he said. The door opened, and his breath froze in his throat.

"Ambassador," Ben Sisko said with a nod. "A moment of your time, if you don't mind?"

"Certainly, come in captain." He'd heard about the departure of Captain Sisko years before, and of his recent surprising return. He'd been appearing all over the place without any apparent pattern. Apparently it was Picard's turn. "What is the nature of this visit, if I may ask? You realize I'm no longer in Starfleet, so I can't offer much on that subject."

"I'm afraid this isn't a Starfleet matter," Sisko said. "It has much larger implications."

"I see," Picard said. "And what does it involve?"

"Annika."

Picard blinked. "Oh, you mean Seven," he said when he realized.

Sisko smiled. "Yes, sorry. She takes up her old name again in time, I got a little used to it. But yes, she's who I need to talk to you about." He took a seat, and folded his hands. "You know that she was a critical part of the trial."

"Q's trial, yes?" Picard could hardly forget; he'd seen that room only a few times, but he'd live his life quite happily if he never saw it again. "Yes, she helped determine that humanity passed and survived."

"Against the Q's expectations," Sisko said. "There was another candidate, but they thought her Borg nature would make her more vulnerable, a serious underestimation. But the fact is, ambassador, that her part in this isn't over yet. All of this turns around her... it's a good thing, too, because she has many gifts that will help ensure that we triumph over darkness." His smile vanished. "But she's not without her flaws, flaws which in time can lead to a crippling defeat for us. She's going to need counsel and guidance to see this through to the end."

"The end of what?"

Ben hesitated. "The road to Unity has been long and difficult, especially for her. I've come now to advise and teach her on the last leg of her journey, until we reach it. I know two things: that she can do what destiny requires..." He looked down. "And that after that, I will no longer be able to guide her."

"Well, I'll offer whatever aid I can," Picard assured him.

Sisko shook his head just a little, very slowly. "That's not what I mean. I mean that you will need to help her realize her mistakes and correct them using the knowledge you will acquire. You will be the preserver of Unity."

Picard looked at him curiously. "I don't understand."

Sisko wet his lips. "When the Borg came the second time, you could hear them... even without implants you still heard the voices." The color drained from Picard's face. "And when the Collective died you felt it... as if trillions of voices cried out in terror, and suddenly fell silent."

"How do you know about that?" Picard asked in quiet horror.

"I know," Sisko said. "Q told you that all his irksome games were tests, yes?" Picard nodded. "He tested... me, Janeway, Data, Seven, and you. The individuals of our galaxy that would be central to all of this. The five of us would be the keystones to the events that start, continue, and finish this conflict, though not all of us will live to see the end. Data has already fallen..." He looked down. "You will be next."

Picard stared; he had no idea what to say. He knew of what had happened to Sisko, but was it possible he'd gone mad? "When?"

"When it comes," Sisko said. "But I don't tell you this to burden your soul, ambassador, I tell you so you can be prepared for what will await you. Of all of us, you were the one the Q studied the most." He leaned forward. "On the Death Star, fate put a weapon into your hand that toppled an Empire, and changed the galaxies. It will happen again, but this time the weapon will be Annika... and the enemy will be all the more terrifying, because-" He stopped. "You'll know more when the time is right," he said. "I shouldn't tell you too much now, or it will cloud the issue."

"Captain," Picard said, "I don't want to seem... skeptical, but you'll understand-"

"It's a bit hard to swallow," Ben said with a smile and a nod. "Fair enough. But I'll give you a taste." And he held out his hand towards Picard and-

And he heard voices, but they weren't Borg, they were... Jem'hadar. They were enraged, frenzied at the assault on the Founders. It was worse than blasphemy, it was a crime against all that was decent in the universe! And all those who were responsible would pay the price for it!

Picard gasped, and he looked up at Ben with horror. "What's- How-" He blinked a few times, trying to figure out what to even say. "I don't understand."

"You will, ambassador," Sisko assured him as he got up. "Meditate on all that has happened, since the moment Q first showed up in his ridiculous costume, and in time you will know what you will need to do." He turned and began walking away, but Picard spoke up.

"That's four of the five." Sisko stopped. "What of the fifth? What of Kathryn Janeway?" Silence. "What's her part in all this?"

Sisko looked over his shoulder. "Goodbye, ambassador," and walked into the wall and vanished.

Sanctuary is a melting pot of species, all united by the common experience of having been assimilated by the Borg. It is a Republic world by rule, orbited by a Federation station, and a haven for the lost and displaced of the galaxy. Over the past year hundreds of species from across the galaxy have come to Sanctuary.

It just got one more it could have done without.

The Jem’hadar ships, small and fast with powerful weaponry for ships their size, swooped in at the orbital platforms that defended the peaceful world. The Republic Fleet, accustomed to Cardassian attacks along the route to Sanctuary, were battle hardened and resolute, but their new enemies had something they didn’t. The Jem’hadar were consumed by a fervor that would make a fanatical army in full jihad pause and reflect on the arguments of agnosticism. Their zeal had so honed their minds that the Jem’hadar, who were normally merely blood-crazed suicidal maniacs, were consumed by their commitment to nothing less than total annihilation of their enemies, and at the moment it seemed that pretty much anyone who wasn’t Dominion fit the bill.

As if the attack ships weren’t bad enough, which Han Solo estimated at being about a hundred, there were four Dominion battlecruisers and a dreadnought, a huge warship that was even larger than a star destroyer. Apparently they’d decided the Republic was deserving of nothing less than total destruction. Despite all this, the Republic and Federation forces refused to allow Sanctuary to fall without a fight. The lone Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, the Deliverance, last of the mighty ships in Republic hands, took the lead, flanked by assorted corvettes and frigates and a swarm of fighters, and joined by a handful of Akiras, Defaints, and Mirandas. On paper, it was a dead heat. The Dominion on one side had numbers, but the Alliance had firepower, and both were battle-hardened warriors who were prepared to die for their nation if it was required. However, it was this point that was the problem; for you see, while the Republic and Federation forces were willing to die to defend Sanctuary, the Jem’hadar were actually eager to die for the Dominion.

Han watched in disbelief as dozens of attack fighters crashed into the Deliverance, overwhelming its shields and ripping it apart in a kamikaze-style attack that had to be seen to be believed. They were unrelenting, ignoring the shots made by the fighters and Nebulon-B Frigates that had moved in to engage them. Supported by a few shots from the main cannons on the battle cruisers and dreadnought, the mighty ship of the Republic that had survived a Death Star, Borg Attacks, and a planet killer, exploded in an expanding cloud of superheated gases and debris. Han wondered distantly if the hopes for Sanctuary had gone with it.

As the fleet moved in to avenge the destruction of their flagship, the Millennium Falcon settled on a pursuit of one of the Jem’hadar attack ships. It was ludicrous to see; the Falcon was less than half the attack ship’s size, but there were two things that helped support it. First, there were few pilots in the galaxy who could surpass Han Solo, especially on his own ship. And second, the force-sensitive Corran Horn, had taken up position in the ship’s upper quad laser cannons. After a few seconds it became clear that it was the larger ship that was at the disadvantage as it tried to escape the onslaught from the tiny freighter, but no matter how it twisted and dived the Falcon was behind, and not a single shot from its weapons missed. Its shields buckled and gave, and a concussion missile pierced its reactor core in a violent explosion as the Falcon raced away. Unfortunately, there appeared to be many more where that one had come from.

The corvettes had succeeded in giving one of the battlecruisers a strong pounding, coupled with some support from the bombers, but overall the cap ships of the Republic were gradually being overwhelmed. It seemed the Jem’hadar had decided to overcome all military challenges through sheer fanatical devotion, and as a result they made few attempts to avoid attacks and instead concentrated all their efforts on annihilating their enemies' forces. Despite the turbolasers and phasers chewing through their hulls they still persisted, their polaron beams slamming into the cap ships again and again, the fighters almost ignored as they continued their focused attacks. The call went out for reinforcements, but there was little hope; by the time anyone arrived who could help the fleet would be lost and the planet exterminated. Knowing that they were the last hope for millions below them gave the Alliance some encouragement to press on, but things were clearly grim as another of their scarce ships exploded under the Dominion assault. Even after the B-Wings had succeeded in overwhelming one of the battlecruisers it still seemed hopeless. And then out of nowhere, their prayers were answered.

There are tales on many worlds and in many cultures about the army of the dead. The Vikings saw it in the north, their perished warriors charging in a berserker rage at their enemies with all the honed skill of an eternity of fighting in Valhalla. The Crusaders after their escape from Antioch saw their fallen knights charging on horseback against the Muslim army that threatened to wipe them out. It must have been a similar feeling in the hearts and minds of the Republic as not just a ship or regiment or battalion but an entire fleet of Dreadnaughts swept out of the sky and descended on the Dominion forces.

The Dominion was caught off guard but it did little to break their spirits as they simply moved to engage the new fleet that quickly attacked them, except that this time numbers were on the side of the Republic. The Dominion ships continued their crazed attack while the Dreadnaughts’ turbolasers tore them to pieces. Within minutes even the battlecruisers were destroyed, leaving only a Dominion Dreadnought to face a fleet of Republic Dreadnaughts. While its phased polaron cannons tore into the ancient vessels, even it couldn’t resist such sheer firepower. Green energy bit into its surfaces as its shields failed, tearing up armor and chomping through hulls. The ship almost became luminescent under the onslaught, and finally it did as its reactor went critical and the ship finally vaporized to the cheers of the surviving Alliance forces. Even Han found himself cheering the new arrivals for a moment, before his suspicious mind started kicking in.

He was naturally thrilled that Sanctuary was safe and that the Republic fleet had been saved from certain destruction, but he knew the universe was rarely so accommodating as to have a fleet appear out of nowhere and save his life. Who were they, where did they come from and, most importantly, what did they want? Apparently they had figured that that was the thought going through their very minds as a voice crossed the Republic channels.

“Have you any need of further assistance,” a concerned yet confident voice asked. After all were assured that the Dominion threat had been dealt with for the moment he continued. “I need to speak to the head of the Republic at the earliest convenience.”

Han keyed the comm. Granted he wasn’t the authority here, but he figured it concerned him if his wife was being brought into it. “That can be arranged. And who should I say is calling?”

There was a pause. “Garm Bel Iblis, at the service of the Republic.”

Janeway sat in her ready room talking to Riker over the comm. The Enterprise was being recalled to Earth, and Voyager had been assigned to fill the ship's presence for the time being. In the wake of the Imperial incursion, it was deemed important to keep the borders properly patrolled.

Janeway was a bit surprised at everything Riker filled her in on. Naturally she knew the Imperials had done something on Vulcan, but that it was to apparently kidnap a Vulcan priest and lure Seven of Nine into a trap was the last thing she'd expected. That Luke Skywalker was involved on the side of the Empire was even more shocking. To her knowledge he'd perished... and he never showed even the slightest hint that he'd support the Empire.

"Why were we told Skywalker was dead?" Janeway asked.

Riker cleared his throat. "It was what Seven wanted. Luke essentially destroyed himself over that planet; she asked that that be what people remembered. Besides, I've seen his handiwork first hand - whatever the hell's running that body, it's got nothing in common with Luke Skywalker."

Janeway shook her head in disbelief. She'd seen him several times sitting with Seven when she was comatose, no matter what the hour. She found it hard to argue that killing her would be part of his character. "I can't believe something like that could happen... that a man who destroyed those monsters could fall so far into darkness."

"Yes, well, you know Nietzsche," Riker said. "'He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster.'"

Janeway nodded. "'And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' How's she holding up?"

"Well, took it pretty hard at first, but she's bounced back now. Whatever the Empire's interest in her is, though, we're no closer to figuring it out."

"We'll keep one ear to the ground, captain," Janeway said. "Voyager out." The Federation symbol appeared briefly as the picture vanished.

Once again, Janeway thought bitterly, it came back to the Empire. They had come with smiles and charm, but they were all just masks. They were a cool, aloof Borg... they saw this galaxy as something that they could consume, and many good people had been chewed up along the way. The bottomless limits of their crimes... provoking their enemies into attacking one another, prompting bloodthirsty forces to assault undefended and innocent worlds, aiding a malicious superpower into threatening the entire galaxy, destroying a capital world solely to further their own selfish goals, and sending Sith out to terrorize helpless people. She loathed them, and she cursed the fact that they were here because of her. How she wished she could do something to just... to just destroy them! Make them pay for all their crimes!

Janeway realized she was staring at her reflection on the black screen. The screen seemed to be staring back.
Chuck

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Janeway realized she was staring at her reflection on the black screen. The screen seemed to be staring back.
And so, it begins...</Kosh>
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

I find this hugely ironic:

"Yes, well, you know Nietzsche," Riker said. "'He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster.'"

Janeway nodded. "'And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' How's she holding up?"

nice chapter.

CERC[/quote]
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah, Janeway...from incompentent moron to villain. :)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

There are some that profess to feeling at least a little sorry for her. I am not one of them. While I don't put it past Chuck to pull out a twist to make me change my mind, as it stands now, she made her choice. The fact that she made it in the future for her unwitting self in the past doesn't alter the fact that its her making the choice. And I hope that she gets trapped in and endless, helpless, timeless hell as she realises that it was her time monkeying that created the wormhole in the first place. But I'll settle for Sebastian repeatedly beating her to death with his cane. :D
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

w00t! Is that bel Iblis, with the entire 200 strong Katana fleet? very cool.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Things certainly don't look well for our favorite Marlboro-endorsing captain? :)

Thanks very much for the replies guys.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:w00t! Is that bel Iblis, with the entire 200 strong Katana fleet? very cool.
Thanks! And we have not seen the end of him either. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

First of two parts for today

Part XIX

In the Republic capital on the Federation homeworld, Leia found herself for the first time in a great while actually optimistic about the Republic. The elder, Bel Iblis, seemed grateful for a chance to return to the service of his people, and his warmth at their meeting helped fill Leia with a confidence that she had a new ally who could reshape the Republic into something great again. But of course, there was a nagging question. “Why have you been in hiding all this time?” she had to ask.

Bel Iblis explained the overall situation over the past several years. Apparently he had been part of the original rebellion, but broke away when it seemed Mon Mothma had been acquiring too much power for herself. His forces had been building up, waiting for a chance to assist when the time came, but with the intervention of the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, it really wasn’t necessary.

“But what about during the Borg invasion?” Leia asked. “Admiral Ackbar’s forces were in need of help then, especially with the Ssi-ruuk involvement.”

“We were still in the process of building up our fleet,” he said. “By the time we had anything even approaching a real force Admiral Thrawn has arrived with a far greater fleet.” There was a look of disappointment with himself. “We didn’t know at the time about Thrawn’s plans, or else we would have become involved.”

“In the end,” Leia said, “it’s probably better that you didn’t. Thrawn would no doubt have seized control of your ships as he did all the other Republic vessels in his area. Your forces can provide us the valuable support we need during this dark hour.”

“The Dark Force is ready to serve the Republic once again,” he said with a smile.

“Wonderful,” Leia said. “How many ships do you have?”

“We lost two to the Dominion,” he said, “But we still have nearly two hundred vessels.”

“So this is the lost Katana fleet. However did you find it?”

“Roughly a year ago the location of the fleet was sold to us by a smuggler named Talon Karrde,” he said. “He had fallen on rough times and apparently it was his nest egg. In any case, we’ve spent a lot of time rebuilding them and now they’re practically as good as new, although their technology is woefully out of date.”

“It would be prudent to upgrade as many of those Dreadnaughts as we can,” Leia said. “They’ll no doubt be the primary defense of the Republic until our shipyards can start building new vessels.”

As the meeting drew on Leia began filling in the former senator about the current condition of the Republic, as well as the concerns growing with the Empire and the Alpha Quadrant. After such a long absence he was eager for the opportunity to delve into the affairs of state, and Leia enjoyed having someone else to discuss them with. Finally, after all the setbacks, it seemed that the Republic was going to have the chance to rebuild. They had a real reason to hope again.

Borui walked up the hall of the Enterprise, and saw Seven of Nine talking to the new arrival, Sebastian. She noticed something she hadn't seen in a while - Seven was happy. Actually, truly happy while she talked with the young man. And she sensed something else from him...

She turned and walked off in the other direction. She'd need to think about this very, very carefully.

"Jean-luc?" Leia said.

Picard jerked back to the moment. "Yes, sorry. Admiral Jellico has some kind of rushed project he's attempting to complete, so I'm afraid Utopia Planetia won't be an option for the Dark Force repair and refit. However, there are several facilities-"

"Jean-luc," Leia said, "you've been distracted since the moment I arrived. What is it?"

Picard hesitated. "Just something that's been on my mind over the past few weeks."

"Since the Dark Force's arrival?"

"No," Picard said. "No, nothing to do with the Republic. It's- It's a personal matter."

"Well," Leia said, "I'm not just the head of the Republic; I'm also your friend."

Picard wasn't sure if he should bring it up, but then, she was a Jedi, after all. "The Force... it's energy, isn't it? Nothing mystical, magical, merely a science we haven't yet fully unraveled?"

It was obvious Leia was completely caught off guard by the question. "My knowledge of the nature of the Force is limited," she said. "Luke spent more time exploring it... I had too many responsibilities... not enough time for meditation." She looked down. "I really should change that," she added quietly.

"How did you come to know of your abilities?" he asked.

"Well, Luke recognized them and helped me develop them," Leia said. "It started on Cloud City, well, leaving Cloud City. Just all of a sudden out of nowhere, there was just this voice in my mind..."

The words chilled Picard. That's how it had been, first over Earth, then in Montana back in 2063... just the voices coming from nowhere into his mind.

"Of all of us," Sisko had said, "you were the one the Q studied the most." Picard found his mind drifting back to the second trial, when he'd seen the future that contained the now very-much real Enterprise.

“I believed in you,” Q said in memory, “I thought you had potential... but apparently I was wrong.”

Sisko... with the abilities he'd inherited from the Prophets now manifest. Data... a creature that devoted his existence to evolving until he could hold even a Jedi at bay. Seven... who of all Borg is the only one capable of controlling her Borg technology to the degree she has. Was Sisko on to something... was Picard somehow, to use the word from the odd alien Kalib, touched? If so, what did it mean?

And why was Sisko so decidedly silent on Janeway's role in all of this?

With the greatest possible care Han gently laid the sleeping form of Jacen onto his crib, his breath held to make sure he did nothing to disturb the slumbering infant. After a few seconds the child merely laid there, and he carefully exited the room. This was what made twins difficult; if you have only one child and they cry you can deal with it, but if you have two and one is crying.... well, pretty soon it’ll be two, and that’s a handful.

As he left the nursery he saw Leia returning from her meeting with the fleet commanders. She was visibly weary; last night’s cholic episode probably didn’t help much, Han thought. He gestured for quiet and they slipped into the living area. “I just put Jacen down,” Han informed her, “Jaina’s been asleep an hour or so.”

Leia looked a little crestfallen. “I hate saying this, but I’m glad.” There was no mistaking her guilt though. “It’s so hard sometimes,” she said. “I love them and want to be with them every moment of the day, but at times like this...”

“You just listened to five hours of military reports,” Han pointed out. “Anyone would want a little rest before doing anything.”

“Yes, but it still doesn’t make it right.”

“Hey, it’s not like you’re neglecting them,” Han said, taking her hand. “You spend lots of time with them and help take care of them, you’re a good mother.”

“Am I?” Leia asked.

“You know you are,” Han said. “Besides, the Republic needs you now.”

“That’s what I’ve been thinking about,” Leia said, rubbing her eyes as she leaned back on the sofa. “The Republic needs guidance through these dark times, and I’m here to provide it.” She trailed off as she thought. “But this time is so precious right now. I don’t like having to be gone so much.”

“Well, part of life is doing stuff you don’t want to do,” Han observed. “And I for one think you’re doing a terrific job.”

She smiled at him wearily. “Thank you.” She stifled a yawn and stretched a little. “But this is getting to be too much. I’m ashamed to say this, but I’m grateful they’re asleep. I don’t want to be with them right now because I’m too exhausted, and that really bothers me. I’m afraid of what might happen to my relationship with them. I don’t want the Republic to get in the way of being their mother.”

Han wasn’t quite sure what to say. He performed diplomatic duties for Leia from time to time, and he had been keeping tabs on the investigation into her father’s death, but overall he didn’t have too many responsibilities outside his family. He just couldn’t imagine the thought of something coming between him and his children, and it left him speechless.

“I’ve been thinking,” she said finally. “Maybe it’s time I withdrew a bit from things. Let others take up more of the work so I can spend more time with them... and you.”

“I’m not opposed to that,” Han said with a little smirk, “but one of the things we’ve got to admit is that you’re a very public figure for the Republic. An image people can rally behind, and right now, that’s something we need.”

“Yes,” Leia said, “But what about Bel Iblis?”

“What about him?”

“He’s become something of a hero now,” she pointed out. “And he’s got a long history with the rebellion. He has political experience, and he’s hitting it off quite well with some of the leaders of the Republic and the Federation.”

“It sounds like you’ve been giving this some thought,” Han said.

“I don’t want to sound egotistical-” Leia said.

“Then don’t move your lips,” Han interrupted with a smirk.

Leia gave him a small jab with her elbow. “But ever since the Borg cut us off from Coruscant I’ve felt like I’ve had this burden to be the leader of the Republic, that I was responsible for ensuring that it went on. That burden has grown rather heavy the past few months. I think maybe it’s time to hand it over to someone else, and I think he’s the right person for the job.”

“So, you’re going to just quit?” Han asked.

“Just reduce my responsibilities,” Leia said. “Maybe go back to being an ambassador, or just an advisor. In either case, far less work than I have to do now, and more time for the ones I’m doing this for.”

“Well if that’s what you want,” Han said as the computer chimed, “I’m behind you.” He got up and started heading for the other room as Chewie walked by, his big paws holding some piece of Romulan technology he’d been tinkering with for a while. “Be careful with that,” Han remarked to him. “I don’t want you cloaking the walls or something.” Chewie growled some reply as Han stepped over to the screen and tapped the controls. Immediately Corran Horn’s face filled it, and brief pleasantries were exchanged. “Anything?” Han asked finally.

“We’ve been looking over the forensic evidence,” he answered. “Nothing conclusive, but we have some leads that we’ll be pursuing in due course.”

“What kind of leads?” Han asked.

Corran pulled out a datapad. “First, we looked over the body. We checked the genetic samples against the sample of your wife we brought, and if it’s not him, it’s definitely someone related to her. Unfortunately, no one has any samples of Vader himself, seeing as how he was always encased in armor, but I think it’s a pretty safe bet it’s him.”

“All right then,” Han said, “It was a long shot anyway.”

“But,” Corran continued, “we did check the suit. Now, his armor isn’t anything off the rack you know, it was custom designed for him. We examined it and compared it to the records we have, and we’re over 99% certain this is his armor.”

Well, Han thought, that pretty much clears that up. He had wondered if someone had pulled a prank on them, but that seemed unlikely now, given the circumstances.

“Now, here’s something else that’s interesting,” Corran went on. “We found a few stray skin cells on the body, and they’re pretty consistent with ones I found at the site.”

“You’ve got an ID?” Han asked.

“No,” Corran replied, “The DNA is too fragmented for that, but this is interesting. One of the mitochondrias was completely intact and we got a sample of its DNA.”

“Wait,” Han said, “This guy has two DNA strands?”

“Everyone does,” Corran said. “Although the one in your mitochondria really doesn’t effect you. Anyway, we looked it over, and we can say with absolute certainty that the person there was a Terran.”

“Okay,” Han said. “Any idea what they were doing there?” Humans, especially humans from Earth, didn’t usually travel that deep into the Gamma Quadrant these days. How had they even found Vader in the first place? Trained bounty hunters couldn’t find him.

“None yet,” Corran admitted. “But we’ll be looking into it. But there is one more thing, a real mystery.” Han’s ears perked. “We found Borg nanoprobes near the body.”

“What?!” Han said in shock.

“Over three hundred of the little suckers. Completely inactive, but nevertheless they could easily have been reactivated with the right technology.”

“Doesn’t make much sense,” Han finally remarked as he thought it over. “We’ve got an Earther, a Borg, and a former Sith on this planet in the wrong part of the galaxy for any of them. What’s the connection?”

“That’s what we’re trying to find out,” Corran said with a shrug. "Hopefully when you pass this over to Seven of Nine she can put some things together, because honestly I've no idea where to even start."

"I'm sure between the two of you something approaching sense is going to turn up."

Corran nodded. “Tell her highness we haven’t given up yet. We’ll find whomever’s responsible.”

“Thanks Corran,” Han said and the other disappeared off the screen. He continued to think about it as he sat back in his chair. What did it all have in common? Borg, Terrans, and let’s not forget the missing lightsaber, he thought distantly. He thought back to the look on Leia’s face when he’d mentioned it, before he’d even suggested his theory. She had seen Luke on Vulcan, however briefly, consumed by the Dark side, ready to kill the woman he loved.

And his lightsaber was red. Like his father’s.

Was it just a coincidence? he wondered. He certainly wouldn’t put anything past Luke now, but the new evidence made him reconsider. Not just human, but Terran, that was an important distinction. The humans from his galaxy were very different from each other, but the humans here were all from one single planet, and so a Terran narrowed the field substantially. Still, having your skin cells present doesn’t make you a murderer. There could be a thousand reasons why an Earther would be present in the distant part of the Gamma Quadrant at this time and just happened to be on the same planet as Vader.

Han hoped to find them, just so he could ask them to name one.

"What are you waiting for?" Sebastian asked.

"I'm thinking," Seven remarked, staring hard at the katiskat board.

"Annika, I made one move," Sebastian pointed out. "This should be a no-brainer."

"You're trying to lure me into letting my guard down," Seven said.

"With one move? Yeah, it's the classic Do Something Gambit, leaves a lot of room for options."

Seven laughed and made her move. The truth was she'd been surprised, bordering on shocked, at just how good Sebastian was at this game. Not only did he win, but he won more than she did... it was something that never happened before. She didn't believe she was infallible, but she'd been used to dominating intellectual games. First in the arena, now here, she mused. Sebastian was starting to make her feel a little... inadequate.

She glanced over at him. It was odd... maybe it was because he was a Jedi but just being with him... it felt like she was with Luke again. Something about him called to mind all the little things she’d loved about Luke. The way he’d put his arm around her to comfort her had been so familiar she hadn’t realized it until after the fact. And it had been just as comforting to her, it had been... been like he was more than just her friend.

Seven knew now that the Sith in control of Luke was involved with that bitch Whind, but she was still committed to him; she believed he’d come back, and he was what she wanted. She didn’t just want to plug someone else into place and have a relationship with them; what she had with Luke had grown over years from a schoolgirl crush to a friendship and then finally into something more. She never sought out having a boyfriend, it just happened. So the idea of replacing him never crossed her mind. But now... it wasn’t that she had any kind of romantic feelings for Sebastian; for some reason it seemed as odd as having one with Picard, it just felt wrong. But it did raise the question for her: if she did start finding herself in a situation where something developed, what would she do?

Sebastian moved his piece. Maybe she just wanted to see Luke in him, she thought. Maybe he was a surrogate way of filling in some of the gaps in her life. Or maybe it was because she was trying to find excuses to ignore that odd feeling, that it was really just a part of her that felt guilty at even the thought of looking at anyone besides Luke.

Ben had mentioned him by name in the same breath with Luke and Leia and Han, thus implying he was someone who was going to be just as important to her as they were. What was the implication of that?

The game had progressed a few minutes when there was the quiet sound of footsteps in the room. Seven nearly knocked the board over as she whirled around, only to see Ben stepping out of the shadows. “When you became a god, did they take away your sense of manners?” she asked.

He smirked. “I’ve never had my manners questioned by a Borg before.”

“That should tell you something,” Seven replied testily.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” he said. “But events are transpiring that we must speak of.”

“Can the deepest secrets of the universe possibly wait until we’re done with this match?” Seven asked, returning to the board. “It seems the wonders of the cosmos can only be revealed at the most inopportune times.”

Ben laughed as he came and sat down. “I suppose.”

Seven moved the piece. “I’m surprised. Usually everything demands immediate attention.”

“I’d rather see the look on your face in twenty seconds,” he said.

“What do you mean?” she asked as she moved it again. Sebastian adjusted his piece and she repeated it.

“Nothing,” Ben said with innocence.

There was a sudden flurry of movement, and to her shock she saw three quarters of her pieces eliminated in a single move. She looked in disbelief between the board, Sebastian, and the now snickering form of Ben. “You distracted me,” she said finally.

“The secrets of the cosmos?” Ben said, gesturing to the sofa, and Seven came over and sat down. The humor was gone and she could see the growing concern. “It’s the nemesis,” he said. “The time has come.”

“Time for what?” she asked.

“The next step,” he answered, “towards Unity.”

Skywalker stepped through the halls of Bastion until he found Mara Jade in the Great Library. She looked at him with surprise as he sidled up silently, curious to know what had brought him here. Her eyes widened as she heard. “He’s ready?” Skywalker nodded slowly. She jumped to her feet, her face covered with excitement and relief. “Then complete the final preparations!” He turned and left as she headed towards her quarters. With great care she slipped on her uniform, snapped her boots into place, strapped on her cloak, and attached her lightsaber. “At last,” she said with subdued joy, “At last the time has come.”

“It’s important that you listen carefully and understand,” Ben said to Seven as Darth Whind left her quarters. “Because what happens now can mean the difference between light and darkness for the entire galaxy.”
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

And now we reach where it gets weirder :D .
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Damnit, Borui can't do anything right, can she? :lol:
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

I really like you brining Picard back into this like that, and the idea of him testing those 5.
The first time reading through this I didn't really think the Klingons would be as dumb as to invade the Romulans with the Empire on the rise, but this time around I realize, how much it fits perfectly. Heck, they went to war with the Cardassians and Federation, just when the Dominion looked to be ready to invade their whole part of space. Its also been years now the defeat of the death star and the end of the last war. The Empire may be a constant threat, and they feel they need enemy to fight now, not maybe in a couple of years. The Empire would be perfect to go to war with, but its way too impractical, so the Romulans are the next best choice.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Excellant.
And why was Sisko so decidedly silent on Janeway's role in all of this?
hmm. I wonder... :lol:
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2006-05-24 04:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:And now we reach where it gets weirder :D .
And that's really saying something for this story. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Trogdor wrote:Damnit, Borui can't do anything right, can she? :lol:
Poor dumb gullible Borui... almost feel sorry for her...
Chuck