Lordi at Eurovision 2006

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Joe
Space Cowboy

Lordi at Eurovision 2006

Post by Joe »

link

....wow.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

They're no Dschinghis Khan, I tell you what...
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

They look like a cross between Baron Samedi and the Klingons. :) lol The music seems ok. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

they look like Warcraft/warhammer orcs that got polymorphed into humans. :D
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Wasn't this linked in the thread in OT ?
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

If someone showed me this clip two weeks ago, I would have thought it was a parody of some sort. Brilliant stuff. :lol:
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Finland roxxorz, big time.

That said, the band actually doesn't seem all that metalcore, though they've got a wicked borderline glamrock feel to them.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Lordi definately have the soul of 80's metal, without the cheese. What annoys me is that the media is now discribing them as "Death Metal" just because of their look, which might i add is awesome. If you're an 80's style Metal/Rock band stage acts involving many fireworks and OTT costumes.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

I caught a bit of Lordi during the semi-finals, which they showed on TV for some reason, and I laughed my ass of at the sheer balls of it all. Normally the Eurovision is a load of euro-pop that's as bland as it is forgetable, and the only way you could watch it was with the sound turned down to check out all the hot babes that tend to be fielded. Suddenly there's this metal band that look like a cross between Gwar and the Uruk'hai completely throwing the competition a curve. Next thing I hear is they've only gone and won it! I cant tell you if the 'song' was any good, but I'll remember them far longer than any other Eurovision winner in the past 15 years.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Paying a little more attention to the video, is it just me, or does that really look like a female klingon on the keyboards?
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:Paying a little more attention to the video, is it just me, or does that really look like a female klingon on the keyboards?
nah she has more reptilian features, then those of the klingons.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

On second viewing I think maybe she's actually a fugly female Klingon.

I also now wish they'd sung in their native language, since I'd then be spared the terrible lyrics.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:On second viewing I think maybe she's actually a fugly female Klingon.

I also now wish they'd sung in their native language, since I'd then be spared the terrible lyrics.
Oh come on! How can you not like phrases like "the Arockalypse" and "the Day of Rockening"? :lol:
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote: That said, the band actually doesn't seem all that metalcore, though they've got a wicked borderline glamrock feel to them.
They remind me of Rob Zombie.

There's the feeling that under all the makeup and shouting they're not taking themselves all that seriously, and it makes their music and their stage shows just that little bit more fun.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Vendetta wrote:
Oni Koneko Damien wrote: That said, the band actually doesn't seem all that metalcore, though they've got a wicked borderline glamrock feel to them.

There's the feeling that under all the makeup and shouting they're not taking themselves all that seriously, and it makes their music and their stage shows just that little bit more fun.
That's exactly the impression I got from them; like they were actually enjoying themselves, rather than being "RAR! Worship teh SATAN!!1!"
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

They apparently won't be interviewed or make public appearances without their masks/makeup on, which either means they take themselves WAY too seriously or they're really insincere but want to keep up the joke.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Vendetta wrote:
That's what I thought, except my exact words were, "Rob Zombie called. He'd like his schtick back."
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Vendetta wrote:

Reminds me more of Finnish GWAR without all the obscenity that makes up GWAR's thang.

And I saw the music video for Hard Rock Hallelujah, and that was pretty funny. :lol: Linky

So, they've won me over. :lol:
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The girl in the video is hot. Hope she wasn't underage when that was filmed.

Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Vendetta wrote:There's the feeling that under all the makeup and shouting they're not taking themselves all that seriously, and it makes their music and their stage shows just that little bit more fun.
Indeed. A Finnish tabloid ran a story on the band members recently:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/osastot/lordi/l ... ide_lo.jpg
"Lordi" himself has worked in the movie business as a storyboardist and a make-up artist. He makes all the costumes for the band, too.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/osastot/lordi/k ... ide_lo.jpg
The drummer is a 32 year old fromer church youth worker, social worker and a studio technician.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/osastot/lordi/a ... ide_lo.jpg (who is actually a blond woman)
The woman behind keyboards studies social sciences and communications at the University of Helsinki.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/osastot/lordi/o ... ide_lo.jpg
The bass player is the only pure musician in the band, although he's studied at the Musician's Institute in LA.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/osastot/lordi/a ... ide_lo.jpg
The guitarist holds a bachelor's degree in IT-Engineering.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am considering ordering their CD online. I managed to catch some of their songs on You tube, and in my subjective opinion were ok. But I really love their costumes and the gall they had of wearing it to Eurovision. That just screams out for my money. :P
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.