Pick's Art and Stuff Thread 5 - DEAD - No More Posts Please

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pick
Sith Marauder

Pick's Art and Stuff Thread 5 - DEAD - No More Posts Please

Post by Pick »

transformers, let's ROLL OUT!
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:30pm, edited 19 times in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I don't know why I didn't notice before, but his face looks slightly weird as if the it's at the wrong angle. Maybe it's as a result of the long neck. Otherwise simply amazing.
Will you prop it up inside your house or will it have a permenant place in your school?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I love the amount of detail you did on the sword.

And whoever stole your ribbon is a bastard.
JADAFETWA
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Right, the neck is quite long. Sort of inhuman, although considering the wings that's quite standard one would think.

But who the hell am I to nitpick? Simply amazing. The real thing at full size must be a real sight to see.

The picture totally creeps me out. The hair reminds me of a girl I know, and since that trait is the one that I base my mental images of people off I get this weird double vision of your picture and your picture with her as the angel. :?

I hate an overactive imagination, but I'll be damned if it isn't entertaining. :)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

The cloud effects and sword are amazing, and the figure is very well done as well. :)

I am a bit curious, though; I think you mentioned that your school actually commisioned the painting. Did they choose the subject matter too, or was it your own idea. An armored angel is rather more... epic than the staff at my school would appreciate. :wink:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ace Pace wrote:Will you prop it up inside your house or will it have a permenant place in your school?
It doesn't belong to me, and never did.

Additionally, it's not a commission, because I wasn't paid/reimbursed. I was told I had to do a painting of "biblical significance", and this is what resulted.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

If you could get some shots of the image in it's natural surroundings I'd be interested how the school displays stuff.

Simply because in our school the art stuff gets put in hallways and it dosn't always look best.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Pick wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:Will you prop it up inside your house or will it have a permenant place in your school?
It doesn't belong to me, and never did.

Additionally, it's not a commission, because I wasn't paid/reimbursed. I was told I had to do a painting of "biblical significance", and this is what resulted.
:?

Did you do it for a class? It seem rather odd that the school would simply make you paint something for them, and not give you anything in return.
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I did it during study hall :wink:.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

That sword doesn't look too appropriate for an angel. It looks... what's the word... "demonic?" Nice going. :twisted:
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

GREAT JOB!!! I really like it. However, it would look better if the top of the sword's handle were the exact length on both sides. I guess you ran out of room. Why of "biblical significance?"
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Thank you, and... :lol: Because I go to a Catholic high school :wink:.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I would've gone the Hiermonymus Bosch route for something "Biblically significant". Kudos on it, though, acrylics are a bitch as I know well, even though they look great.

I echo the neck thing, though, I wouldn't've done it like that, I would've probably had the head facing down and to our left, with spawn-tastic glowy eyes.

The shield and the clouds look spectacular.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

[quote
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

That. Is. AWESOME! Mein Gott, you get exponentially better every time you post. Hyral FTW!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Hey, I draw to please :lol:. Glad you like!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Darth Raptor wrote:That. Is. AWESOME! Mein Gott, you get exponentially better every time you post. Hyral FTW!
You dirty bastard! That's my choice of character to have as a favorite that you're FTWinning! Find your own or just back the hell off! :P

Christ on a Stick, Pick! That's amazing as hell. I would pay the remaining third of my soul that hasn't been sacrificed for various favors from the Lords whose realms dwell of the darknesses at right angles to reality to draw that good.

Did I mention how much I am obsessed with hair? The hair in that drawing is perfect in all the literal sense of the 'I cannot concieve of a way for improvement' manner.

I am afraid however that I will be filing a lawsuit against you quite soon. Don't let that discourage you from drawing, but adding horns and pointy ears doesn't disguise the fact that you stole that drawing literally from my mental image of a hot yet just ever so slightly geeky girl. :P Then again, if you can keep doing that well I don't think I mind your brain piracy. Keep up the good work. :)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I am afraid however that I will be filing a lawsuit against you quite soon. Don't let that discourage you from drawing, but adding horns and pointy ears doesn't disguise the fact that you stole that drawing literally from my mental image of a hot yet just ever so slightly geeky girl. Then again, if you can keep doing that well I don't think I mind your brain piracy. Keep up the good work.
Your prior mental image involved ram horns?

... not that they're's anything wrong with that. :P

In any event, Hyral is extremely well done, and I'm glad she's getting a bit more notice again. To let any of your characters slide into obscurity would be doing them a great injustice (well, except maybe the doorman...)

:wink:
The Rift
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

spaz
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Pick wrote:Good luck getting a coherant case together, even in America, DOD :P.
But... but... I'm me! I'm incoherence and somewhat vacuous verbal gaffes in bipedal form! That's a totally unfair legal requirement to be coherent.

And in case the faux legal threat and the me-being-creeped-out-by-Pick-drawing-charicatures-of-people-I-know-or-mental-images-I-have-thought-about-and-doing-so-twice-in-a-row part buried the complements part, I'll do it twice.

I'm literally actually in awe of that drawing of Hyral. The Selia one is nice (White hair? I always thought of her as all-Grey considering the coloring of the aminal she imitates, but I suppose White works too) and the Angel is (when it doesn't scare me with the double vision) great and quite mechanically impressive that you could pull off the clouds and such correctly.

But that? It's like a diamond in the rough, if the rough were to be other diamonds because you don't really have many works that would count as 'the rough' so we're changing it up a bit here and anyhow this one of Hyral would then be a Diamond in the Other Diamonds Standing In Place Of The Rough that causes your eyes to melt out of your face by its sheer shinier-than-other-diamonds qualities. Um... that made sense when I was thinking of it, but I don't think it does now. The point is that it is amazing- at least in the Top 5, if not Top 3 or 2 or 1, works of art I've seen.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Mondo gozangas, you sure she's not your favorite character? :wink:
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

This just sprang to my mind...

Pick, you ever done a self-portrait; charicatured, realistic, or stylised?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:Mondo gozangas, you sure she's not your favorite character? :wink:
Actually, I'm not a huge fan of breasts at such dimensions. Nozoma would be my first selection in that little realm... . :wink:
Spanky wrote:Pick, you ever done a self-portrait; charicatured, realistic, or stylised?
No. I'm not a particular fan of my own appearance, and definitely not enough to dedicate art time to it.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Men: Oh, I forgot. I really like Kesyl. Can you draw her more, please?
I would not object. :wink:
Actually, I think you've only done one or two others of her. Certainly, she is deserving of more.
The Rift