Unity III: Against All Odds, Redux (Complete)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Heh. I'm surpised you didn't use the "crack in the event horizon" example. :D
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

Nice, and as I did last time, I got a kick out of the calling the card scene.

CERC
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Heh. I'm surpised you didn't use the "crack in the event horizon" example. :D
Even Ben Sisko just shrugs his shoulders at that one.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

CERC wrote:Nice, and as I did last time, I got a kick out of the calling the card scene.

CERC
Thanks! :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Second part for today (be sure to read 23 first)

Part XXIV

On the Federation homeworld of Earth, Admiral Jellico, head of new starship production at Utopia Planetia, faced the most dangerous and hostile group of his entire career: the bureaucrats. It had taken him a month to get on the docket for the Federation Council, and by the time the day arrived his issue had gained the interest of much of the upper levels of Starfleet Command; he doubted he'd find many allies in that group.

After waiting for over an hour the president banged his gavel and announced his opportunity to speak. With all the dignity of his rank Jellico moved to the podium, arranging his PADDs to give his relatively brief presentation. He just hoped it wouldn't fall on deaf ears.

"Members of the Federation Council, Mr. President, representatives of Starfleet. The past several years have brought changes to the Federation and indeed to the galaxy as a whole. We have seen great advances in science and engineering, which have in turn led to even greater advances in exploration. We have witnessed the triumph of the humanoid spirit in the face of overwhelming odds on more than one occasion. We have made new friends, and new enemies. We have also seen tumult and chaos as centuries-old institutions and alliances have dissolved, and the rekindling of old hostilities. And as we witness this we are reminded that change is a painful and dangerous process, as we cling to the ways of old and yet strain to grasp the new.

"It's a different galaxy, one which, as we like to say, is much smaller than it used to be. Our distant adversaries, the Klingons and Romulans, are practically on our doorstep in comparison to this new arena. And with this changing worldview we find ourselves facing the same dilemmas as the men and women of old, when they knew that the past was gone and that it was time to build for a new and better future. I submit to you that we now are faced with a burden and responsibility that is unknown in the history of either the Federation or the many worlds that unite within it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as of yesterday the Dominion has ceased to have any large-scale influence on the Gamma Quadrant, after a series of brutal Imperial attacks near their recently annexed territory. This, combined with the overrunning of the Delta Quadrant, the crippling of the Republic, the mutual destruction of the Romulans and the Klingons, and the extermination of the Borg, makes us realize the unbelievable and frightening truth: we are the most powerful remaining nation in the galaxy.

"This is a great comfort to us, of course. It means that we have the greatest chance to resist any Imperial incursion into our territory. However, we mustn't forget that with that strength comes the responsibility to use it for the greatest good. And we must realize that, however we choose to use that power, we will have an effect on the entire galaxy. We must decide, therefore, what kind of an influence we will have."

"Admiral," said one of the delegates, "I'm not certain I like where you're going. It sounds like you wish the Federation to take an active role in changing the galaxy."

"Sir, that is exactly what I'm suggesting." There was, naturally, a few murmurs of discussion, but he spoke up and continued. "We will cause change one way or another ladies and gentlemen. Even our inaction would do so. I'm suggesting that we take action and create the kind of change that we want."

"To make us the same as the very Empire we oppose?"

"On the contrary, to stand against that Empire." He allowed the gavel's bang to bring the noise down a little. "We are not talking about conquest, we're talking about looking at evil for what it is and making a stand against it."

"And the prime directive?" asked Adm. Paris.

Jellico wet his lips; he knew this was coming. "I believe it is time that we reconsider it."

The response was as predictable as Newtonian motion. Some shouted their outrage, others showing a complete disbelief. Jellico allowed it to continue while the president pounded the gavel, waiting for the right time.

"The prime directive exists to make sure that we do not unintentionally cause harm," Jellico continued. "I believe that by standing by and doing nothing, we are in fact unintentionally causing harm."

"Maybe so," Admiral Paris replied. "But it's better to allow this harms then to interfere and be the cause."

"Actually Admiral, I must disagree. We have investigated events over the past ten years and looked at the results of our non-intervention." He picked up a PADD. "Crises within our own areas of space have resulted in over 2.1 billion deaths. These causes range from geologic instability, plague, famine, drought, stellar catastrophe, and other assorted natural disasters. We are not talking about tyranny or war or other such artificial problems, but simple events which we have within our power to prevent."

"And in so doing set ourselves up as gods."

"Would that I had your hubris, admiral. The fact is that we aren't gods, and we are not acting like it by helping those in need. In fact, as we now act we are more like deities that refuse to even acknowledge the suffering that happens beneath us as we lounge about without a care in the world."

"That is inaccurate, not to mention insulting."

"We have the ability to help people, to make things better. Isn't that what we're here for, to improve the quality of life?"

"Isn't that the same thing the Borg believed?" Amb. Parks observed.

"We're not talking about assimilation, we're talking about stopping tragedy and ensuring the preservation and well-being of millions."

"You are talking about a substantial change," the president remarked. "The prime directive is absolute; interfering for any reason is expressly prohibited. If we make any changes, how can we define when we need to get involved? What would be the criteria our captains would use?"

"Mr. President, you've gone straight to the root of the matter. The problem is that we've set up hard and fast rules for our captains to obey because we wanted to keep them out of trouble. The prime directive was conceived in a time when long-range communication was difficult and it was impossible to stay abreast of the status of ships in such dire situations. Now we're capable of having almost real-time conversations across the galaxy, and for that reason we don't need captains to be making the decisions of when to get involved."

"And who precisely would decide when we get involved?"

"Starfleet Command or the Federation Council would be my opinion," said Adm. Jellico. "Someone who can weigh all the options, look at the large picture, and decide whether we should or should not get involved."

"You wish to do this on every single little problem?" asked one of the delegates. "We'd never have a moment's peace to deal with Federation problems."

"Then perhaps further changes should be necessary," Jellico replied. "With all due respect ladies and gentlemen, our finest captains have been forced by necessity to violate the prime directive several times, and later investigations demonstrated the necessity of that intervention."

"So if people violate the law we should just throw it away?"

"If we see that the law is standing in the way of what we know in our hearts is right, absolutely. We're not talking about ignoring the law, we're talking about changing it to better fit the times and circumstances, and right now the Federation needs to consider just where it stands in the galaxy."

"Admiral," said the president, "I think I speak for everyone when I say that you clearly show a compassion I wish we could all emulate."

But, thought Jellico bitterly.

"But we have to stay true to the lessons of history. If the Federation allows itself to get involved in the affairs of other species we will run the risk of causing more harm than good, and of becoming a greater evil than the one we wish to fight."

"Respectfully, Mr. President, with that kind of reasoning, no one should ever help anyone. One never knows the consequences of aiding an injured stranger on a street corner, yet I doubt any of us would ever turn the other way." He looked at the attended crowd. "And certainly wouldn't call it 'moral' while we did so."

The president cleared his throat. "We will consider the matter," he continued, "and your findings in detail. But such a serious change in policy must be discussed further before being acted upon."

Jellico hid his disgust as he picked up his PADDs. "Thank you for your time." And he turned and walked off, knowing that they wouldn't consider it. They refused to allow themselves to give up the luxury of the prime directive, the order that allowed them to turn a blind eye to inconvenient squabbles with a clear conscience. He should have brought up the Bajorans, he thought miserably. Sure it would have made him look more radical, but it would have had a better impact than what he'd just witnessed. Still, he could hope; maybe someone in there could see reason.

Why did he doubt that was going to happen?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Skywalker and Darth Whind were called before the Emperor on the world of Bastion, also known as Byss. He sat on a raised throne, that all might look up to him with respect. His servants, Sith like himself, would need to be watched, but they were far more trustworthy than Vader. Darth Whind's loyalty was almost unquestioned, and Skywalker's devotion to her meant he was little threat either. It brought a smile to Palpatine's lips. Exactly as he had foreseen, her leading his armies with Vader's son at her side.

Which meant he had little to fear from anyone actually. The ISB had reported that Vader was found dead and that left only his daughter, Leia Organa Solo, with the skill to even challenge a Sith, and there was no chance she would risk battling him herself. Sisko and his apprentice could try something, but they were no match for him either.

But that still left one other matter: the vision. A threat two generations removed from the late Vader that could pose a threat. There was only one way to deal with threats, the same way he had dealt with the threat of the Jedi. "Skywalker," he said finally. "You have served the Empire admirably." As always, the man said nothing in reply. "However, I require one final test of your loyalty. The time has come to rid the galaxy of this nuisance." He leaned forward, a look of intense hatred on his face. "Kill Jacen and Jaina Solo."

"I just finished speaking with Corran," Han said to Seven as the Enterprise continued in orbit near Utopia Planetia. "I told him your theory about the nanoprobes. He thought it was an interesting idea, but it doesn't fit the evidence."

"How so?" Seven asked curiously. She had been compiling a list of several dozen Starfleet personnel whose DNA could have matched the partial fingerprint they possessed. Fortunately, none of her former crewmates on Voyager matched, a fact which filled her with relief. The thought that her friends could have betrayed her, to use a piece of her for something like this, had worried her. Apparently she had been put through that for nothing.

"Corran created a three-dimensional view of the 'crime scene' and analyzed the placement of evidence in relation to the body and the surroundings. He looked at the placement of the nanoprobes and said that it doesn't match your theory."

"Why would that be relevant to my theory?"

"Because the nanoprobes were intermixed within the area where they found the DNA samples." Han rubbed his weary eyes. "Apparently the recreation shows that the DNA, the nanoprobes, everything originated in one place; with one person."

"So now we're not talking about a drone and a Terran, but a drone who WAS a Terran." Seven's brow furrowed in thought. "But that's impossible. Those are my nanoprobes; I'm the only Terran who would possess them internally, and we've already established that it's not me."

"Which means that something somewhere isn't adding up right," Han said. "We considered that maybe it was Vader who was cut or something and spilled the nanoprobes, but he's certainly not Terran."

"No, his mother was a human on Tatooine," Seven said. The mitochondrial DNA is passed from mother to child unaltered except for rare mutations; there was no way it would have been the same. "I don't see any possible way that his conclusion can be accurate. It just doesn't fit the known facts."

"Well, Corran was with the Corellian Security Force for some time, he's had some experience with this. He could be wrong," Han conceded, "but I think we should consider any and all possible alternatives before we do that."

"There's-" Seven stopped. Think; there's got to be an explanation. "I suppose there is another possibility, but frankly I don't see it happening."

"What is it?"

"Starfleet used my nanoprobes to assimilate someone; a medical experiment or something."

"That's pretty far-fetched, Annika."

"Hey, you said 'all possible alternatives.' That's the only one I can think of."

"There's gotta be something else," Han persisted. "I have to think we can find an answer without calling Corran an incompetent or Starfleet traitors."

"Well, it wouldn't have to be Starfleet as a whole," Seven admitted. "Perhaps an individual, only...."

"Only what?"

"Only I can't imagine any one person having the facilities to do this, or the resources, or the knowledge for that matter. We'd be talking about a group that can keep its research completely isolated, because I don't think anyone would stand for that. I don't know of any such organization in place capable of doing that."

"A conspiracy within Starfleet?" Han seemed to be rolling the idea around in his mind. "No offense, but they always struck me as a bunch of bureaucratic straight-shooters. What would they even want to assimilate someone for?"

"Perhaps to develop some Borg capabilities. In theory, a drone can be quite effective: enhanced strength, regenerative capabilities, immunity to disease, resistance to intense heat and cold."

"You're talking about a super-soldier," Han said. His eyes widened. "Maybe even strong enough to kill the Dark Lord of the Sith?"

Seven hesitated. "Normally I would say no, but if someone were working in that direction, of designing a drone soldier, they might be able to."

"What do we do then?" Han wondered aloud.

"Let's not be too hasty," Seven remarked. "We've made a lot of assumptions. We've assumed the existence of an amoral organization within Starfleet, one that is willing to use nanoprobes to create supersoldiers; that's quite a stretch. And it's just as likely that Corran is incorrect in his analysis."

"Maybe, but I don't want to dismiss this completely. How could we go about gathering further evidence?"

"That's the problem," Seven said. "We've made a number of assumptions. I suppose the first step would be to analyze the area again to see if any physical evidence supported this conclusion. We could check in Starfleet for this group, but I don't know how safe it would be to go ferreting around for an organization willing to do this and determined to stay hidden."

"I don't care," Han said. "If he was murdered by Starfleet, we've got to know the truth."

"Such a group might try to take steps to silence you. Maybe even threaten your family."

This brought Han to a stop. It had never been a factor before, never even considered. "Okay," he finally said. "Let's get more evidence before we go looking under rocks."

Unlike Luke, Leia had always been far too busy to meditate as he did. She had been trained in it and understood it, but it had been a bit.... abstract for her. Nevertheless, she was the last of the Jedi now, and it fell to her to seek out the guidance of the Force to see them through this hour. She reached out and tried to get a grasp on something, a thread to lead her to anything useful.

Suddenly a vision came. It was the future she felt, and it was confirmed by the man she saw. It was Luke, about twenty years older from appearances, walking through a set of double doors into a large room. And there... him again. The Emperor sat on his throne, looking down towards Luke where he stood with respect. “How does it go?” the Emperor asked.

“Their training is nearing completion,” Luke said, his hands folded in front of his body, his stance one of attention.

“Good,” the Emperor replied with a smile. “Bring them here.”

Luke gestured and three people filed into the room. The first was a young man and the second a young woman. Both were similar in appearance and Leia felt a clawing at her soul. It wasn’t... it wasn’t... oh God, it was. Jacen stepped forward and nodded in respect to the Emperor, and then Jaina did the same. Then the third came. He was different, slightly younger than the other two, he was..... Leia couldn’t put a name to him, but she felt a connection to him, an unfamiliar one.

“The time is soon approaching,” the Emperor said, “when you will be standing at my side as well, to take your rightful place within the Empire.”

Leia could feel their emotions change at the words. They had been waiting their whole lives for that day, to take their place-

“NO!” Leia insisted as she wrenched her mind away from the image and returned to reality. Her face was in her hands as she started sobbing uncontrollably, and soon Han came rushing into the room and put his arms around her to help, but there was no comfort he could offer. This was the future, this was fate. The thought of it sent a new wave of sorrow and dread through her and her tears continued. “Not my children,” she whispered between sobs. “Not..... my....”

“Always in motion is the future,” Luke had said, but it seemed that was little comfort now. Luke had seen the future and known he would turn to the Dark side, and despite that knowledge it happened anyway. Still, she could hope. Perhaps it was a possible future, one which they could..... No, she thought as she turned and buried her face into her husbands shoulder, you cannot escape your destiny. The Emperor would rule with Luke at his side, and train her children in the Dark side. Now, she thought, was their darkest hour, because this is the moment she knew the truth. It wasn’t that the odds were against them, that they faced challenges that were too great to overcome. Now was the certainty of defeat, the knowledge that hope was futile.

No happy ending, not this time.
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:D You're really in to the misread prochecy scene aren't you?

Excellant chapter as always. Nice adancements on the mystery and Jellico fronts.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote::D You're really in to the misread prochecy scene aren't you?

Excellant chapter as always. Nice adancements on the mystery and Jellico fronts.
Thanks! One of the elements of mythology is that of being forewarned and completely misinterpreting the actual meaning of something, such as in Oedipus Rex when the prophecy avoided caused the prophecy to be fulfilled.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXV

The door slid open, and a single beam of light was shining into the room, framing the figure that stood within it. “Lights,” she said without enthusiasm. Seven leaned against the wall for a short while, reaching up and pulling her hair loose, letting it fall down around her shoulders again. After that she moved slowly through the room, tossing her shoes off into the corner without care. She was physically and emotionally drained at that moment, and needed to rest... but she couldn't, not yet. There were other matters to tend to, things to think about.

"Chief Science Officer's Log, Stardate 57913.9. Forces have been coming together for some time now, pushing with inevitability towards a confrontation between light and dark. Today, it finally happened." Seven pinched the bridge of her nose in exhaustion. "Sooner or later, the Emperor would move against the sole Jedi in the universe, and it was inevitable that Luke become involved in that. But there's more going on than that, more questions that have been answered. In fact, after today, there remains only a single question." She sighed. "This has been the longest day of my life."

That morning, Seven of Nine stepped out of her alcove and moved to one of the terminals in her quarters. She began looking through the results of the previous night’s simulation, trying to find clues to support her latest theory on the death of Vader. The continuing scroll had revealed several more members of Starfleet whose DNA matched the one found at the scene, although the question had now been raised as to whether or not it was a member of Starfleet, or just a human. If it was the latter it would be all the more difficult to track them down, if not impossible.

“Annika?” came the voice through the comm.

She tapped it. “Go ahead Sebastian.”

“Just reminding you to meet me on the holodeck.”

“I haven’t forgotten,” she said simply. “I’m just finishing up something; give me a few minutes.”

“All right, but don’t think that I’m going to give you too much warm up time if you stall.”

“Like I need to warm up,” she said with a smirk. She finished looking over the list and pulled out her workout uniform, as she liked to think of it. A few minutes later she was off, letting the computer continue its scan for matching DNA.

"The attack took place at 02:23," said the Romulan ambassador. "We've only begun preliminary checks, but we estimate there could be almost a million dead."

Leia was shocked at the news. She knew the Klingons could be brutal, but this, this defied explanation. "Please accept our condolences for your loss," she said with true sympathy.

"We are grateful, but we also hope that your reply can be more substantive." Leia had been expecting this. "We are formally requesting your assistance during this dark hour."

"Of course," said Leia. "I will pass this along to Bel Iblis, but I'm confident that we will be moving quickly to help draw this unfortunate situation to a swift conclusion."

"Thank you," he said, and cut the transmission.

So, Leia thought, this is the moment. The Alliance is once again drawn into a conflict, this time with one of its former members. This situation was definitely going to turn ugly, but there was no choice now; the Republic had an obligation.

She left her quarters and hurried up to Bel Iblis' office to update him on the situation. She quickly explained what had happened between the Klingons and the Romulans and relayed their request for help.

"This is indeed unfortunate," he replied when she finished.

"I assured the ambassador that we would take swift action," she said.

"Mm," he said as he looked at his desk in thought. "I think such a remark was premature."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I'm not sure this is the kind of event the Republic should become involved in at this time."

Leia was stunned. "You can't be serious."

"We have to be careful," Bel Iblis said. "Our ships are only 30% refitted, and the progress is slow. We have the Dominion to consider-"

"The Dominion hasn't tried anything in weeks!"

"Which is all the more reason to stand ready against an organized response," he replied.

Leia stopped before she said something to hurt the situation. "Please," she said finally, "You have to understand the situation the Republic has been in. The Romulans were there when we needed them, they were ready to sacrifice their ships to defend us. They helped us defeat the Emperor and destroy the Death Star. We owe them."

"I understand," Bel Iblis said with a nod, "And that's why I will consider the matter. But in the end I have to do what is best for the Republic."

"We can't turn our backs on this," Leia insisted.

He leaned forward behind his desk. "With all due respect," he said evenly, "I believe it was this thinking that got the Republic in this mess in the first place."

Leia was taken aback. "Are you questioning my leadership?"

"I'm afraid that you tend to put other things ahead of the best interest of the Republic. The Borg, for instance. You never should have committed our forces in the assault on the planetkiller or the fleet."

"If we hadn't done that we would have been assimilated."

"Unlikely, considering the Federation destroyed the Borg before they arrived, completely unaided in the end by our forces."

No, Leia thought, that wasn't true at all. Without their forces Luke wouldn't have been present, and without his intervention... Of course, he wouldn't have turned to the Dark Side, but what would have happened to him after that? Would he have disappeared like their father or withdrawn into himself? Return to Vulcan? Regardless, the Borg would've rolled through the galaxy unhindered. Still, there was no way she could explain that to Bel Iblis; most still thought that Luke was dead. "We owe the Romulans for their aid," she said finally.

"As I said, I will consider it," he replied. She turned and started to leave. "I understand your devotion," he said before she reached the door. "And I envy your position. It is not easy for me to sit here and weigh the risks to the Republic against our desire to help our friends, but sometimes we have to make the hard choice."

"I just hope it's the right one," she said, and left.

Sebastian ducked, jumped, and somersaulted backwards as Seven continued her onslaught, avoiding each and every strike. He was prepared for the next, but it never came. “That’s enough humiliation for one day,” she said with defeat. He was happy to see that there wasn’t any of the usual anger present; she was coming to accept the way things were, and that meant that she was almost ready.

“You’ve come a long way,” he said as she took a drink from her container and made that funny face of hers.

“The way you say it I could almost believe it,” she said as she closed it up and grabbed her towel to wipe off her face. “Of course, the fact that you managed to kick my ass again tends to make me think you’re just trying to make me feel a little better.” She smiled at him wearily. “It’s appreciated.”

“I’d like a few minutes to meditate,” he said as she started picking up her things. “But if you want to stop by my quarters we can play some katiskat.”

“Sure,” Seven said, and he started to settle on the floor of the arena while she headed for the exit. After she returned to her quarters she took a long, relaxing showering and slipped into a clean uniform, then began looking over the list the computer had generated that morning. Not too many, she noticed.
She began thinking about the possibility of their theory being correct, that there was some organization within Starfleet itself that had been experimenting with her nanoprobes. Who were the ones most likely to be able to achieve this kind of control? Biological and engineering skills would be a definite necessity. She called up a list of Starfleet personnel who were skilled in both fields enough to attempt this. Admiral Nunyez, Dr. Bashir, Comm. Y’hellim, Comm. Walters, Dr. Blair.... quite a sizable list actually. The Doctor was on there too, she noticed. She decided to let the computer continue compiling as she headed down to Sebastian’s quarters

There was no answer to the doorchime so she stepped inside and heard the shower running. “Sebastian?” she called.

“Annika?”

“I guess I’m a little early.”

“I got distracted,” he replied. “Just give me a minute and we can get started.

“I’ll just set up the board,” she called into the shower. She looked about, wondering where he had put it. Usually he already had it set up when she arrived, but apparently he had other things on his mind. She moved about, checking on tables and behind the furniture without luck. Finally, out of simple boredom, she checked the only remaining places: the drawers.

The first held clothes, nothing very surprising. The second had several belts carefully folded like Luke had had in their quarters. She started feeling self-conscious, poking about in his business like this. But her hand automatically opened the bottom drawer, and there was a quiet rumbling sound as it rolled to the front, and Seven stared. And her memory flashed.

Five years ago, right after the Borg had been driven out of the Imperial galaxy. She and several other senior officers gathered in the star destroyer shuttlebay as an Imperial shuttle landed. Descending was a tall man clad all in black with a long cape, and the most disturbing heavy breathing as he walked past the group of Federation officers. There, hanging from his belt, she'd observed a strange device. And then a flash...

The Death Star, as she, Data, Leia, and Luke faced against Darth Vader and Darth Whind. She was knocked unconscious fairly quickly, but there it was in his right hand. Another flash...

Romulus, after the war, she stopped by the quarters of Leia Organa to briefly discuss the refitting of Federation vessels with Republic sensors. There, on the table, the same device. It was unmistakable, the weapon of the man who sat incarcerated as his fate was determined...

She reached down into the drawer, her hands wrapping around the raised black grip and lifting it carefully. She turned it around in her hands, analyzing every surface, hoping against hope that she was mistaken somehow; but one of the curses of a perfect memory is knowing things you don’t want to admit. There was no mistaking it. She flipped the switch and listened to the crack and humming sound as the red beam bit into the air. No, no mistake at all. She heard Sebastian coming and turned towards him, the beam making a low tone as it passed through the air. She could see his shock and distress when he saw it.

“Explain,” she demanded.

“It’s a lightsaber,” Sebastian said, putting his hands up. “Please turn it off carefully and put it down.”

“It’s not just any lightsaber,” Seven said, doing neither. “It belongs to someone else.”

“Please, Annika-”

“It belonged to a member of my family,” she continued, getting angry as she thought about it. “He may not have been the best person in the galaxy, but he was Luke and Leia’s father, and he should have this.”

“Look, Annika-”

“But he doesn’t,” she went on, ignoring him. “Because he’s dead. Murdered.”

“It’s not what you think-”

“And Jedi take lightsabers as prizes,” she finished. “Is that what this is to you? A trophy? I was trained by a Hirogen, so I understand the urge to take a trophy off your enemy, but it’s best not to take incriminating evidence.”

“Please listen to me,” Sebastian pleaded. “It’s not what you think at all.”

“Oh, he just sent it to you as a present,” Seven said sarcastically. “Some sort of Sith outreach program. The double-bladed lightsaber, you steal that too? You ever even made your own?”

The switch turned itself off, and she immediately realized why. A Jedi can easily yank a weapon out of their enemies’ hands. She’d had it happen to herself before... when she was unprepared. Cybernetic hands gripped the lightsaber, resisting the pull of the Force to Sebastian’s surprise. “Now what?” she asked. “You’ll kill me too?”

“I didn’t kill anybody!” he insisted. “You’ve got to believe me.”

“I’m turning this over to Leia, the rightful owner,” Seven stepped towards the door. “She can decide what to do with you.”

“Listen to me-”

“Oh, one last thing,” she said as she opened the door. “You need a new katiskat board.” And she stepped into the hall and rushed off.

Sebastian cursed and started fumbling for his Jedi robe to chase after her. He heard someone clear their throat and he whirled around, looking into Sisko’s stone face. “Something wrong?” his bass voice rumbled.

“You could say that,” Sebastian said angrily. “Annika found the lightsaber.”

“Really.”

“Yes.” His voice was full of scorn as he finished getting dressed. “I should have known better than to hold onto it.”

“What’s done is done,” Sisko said dismissively. “Now we’ve got to decide our next move.”

“Yes, what do we do now, oh wise one,” his voice dripped with sarcasm.

Sisko thought about it while Sebastian finished pulling his boots on. “She’ll go to Earth,” he said finally. “To talk with the Solos and discuss what to do. You’ll need to be there.”

“Why?”

“To tell her the truth. All the truth. About you.”

“I can’t do that!” he replied hotly. “I- after all we’ve been through I can’t just-“

“You have to,” Sisko said simply. “It’s the only way.”

“Do you have any idea how upset she’ll be when she finds out I’ve been deceiving her all this time?”

“There are larger things at stake.”

“I...” he faded off and strapped on his lightsaber, not even looking at Sisko. “Nevermind. I forgot who I was talking to. Of course, you wouldn’t understand what us mere mortals feel.” He sighed deeply. “Okay, let’s get this over with.” And Sisko put his hand on the young man’s shoulder, and they vanished.

"I stopped in my quarters," Seven continued saying into the log, "to check something. The results were undeniable: Sebastian's DNA was the one I was looking for. I had already sent a security team to Sebastian's quarters to keep an eye on him while I was running the tests, but he’d somehow vanished off the ship. I had Lightner set up a ship-wide security alert just in case, then took a shuttlecraft to head to Earth. I needed to speak with Han and Leia about this... I hoped they'd have some idea of what I should do next."

Seven of Nine touched down on the pad and rushed through the checkpoint, her Starfleet insignia informing the computers of who she was and allowing her to move with all due speed towards the complex where Han and Leia lived. She stepped onto a transport strip and waited with all the patience she could manage to arrive at their destination. She tapped her foot for a while and then leaned against the guardrail and watched the rushing city. She whirled around as she heard footsteps; she had been alone when the transport started. She saw Sebastian, and she gripped the lightsaber tightly to make sure he wouldn’t attack her with it. “How’d you get here?” she demanded.

“Ben brought me,” he said, holding his hands away from his body. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

“You bet you’re not.”

“We need to talk,” he said anxiously.

“I’m not interested in what you have to say.” There was no keeping the edge out of her voice. She couldn’t listen to his lies, and that’s what they would be.

“Annika-” Sebastian began.

“I’m Seven of Nine to you,” she interrupted. “Don’t presume to call me what my friends do. Friends don’t betray the trust of others.”

“I’m not your friend,” he admitted.

“At least we can agree on something.”

“But you have to believe me.”

“Why?” she shot back. “You’re a liar! Tell me you didn’t kill Vader.”

“I didn’t!”

“Bullshit! Your DNA was all over the place!”

“That doesn’t mean I did it!”

“You knew I was investigating his murder,” The accusation in her voice was scathing. “You could have said something and you didn’t. In fact, you deliberately tried to discourage me from investigating the case, to keep me from learning the truth.”

“Yes,” he admitted. “I had to keep the truth from you, but not what you think is the truth.”

“So you admit you were there.”

“Yes! But I didn’t kill him!”

“And why do you expect me to believe that?!”

He opened his mouth and then closed it again, his face a mask of uncertainty and fear. “You have to trust me.”

“I don’t!”

Sebastian looked at her, pleading. “Please don’t make me say it.”

“Nothing you could possibly say could change this,” Seven said backing away from him a little, but she could tell he wasn’t going to try anything. She had never seen him look so conflicted. She had expected him to be more confrontational, to deny it or something. Instead he was acting so... so damn respectful.

He sighed deeply as he came over to her. “Seven of Nine, look into my eyes.” She turned away, deliberately avoiding looking at him. He grabbed her arm and turned her around. “Look into my eyes,” he insisted.

“Why?!” she shouted.

“Because!” he shouted back, then he hesitated and when he spoke again his voice had an emotional edge to it. “Because they’re yours.”

She had been so caught off guard by the remark that she found herself looking into his eyes. And as she did, she saw something that was always there, but she hadn’t recognized: herself, staring back. “What... what are you saying?"

Sebastian held up his hand and closed his eyes. To Annika’s disbelieving eyes, a Borg implant emerged and spread across his skin. He let out his breath slowly and looked back into her eyes. "The place I'm from, is the future," he said. "And the person who sent me was Annika Hansen Skywalker." He offered a weary smile. "My mother."
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

For those reading through this for the first time: at what point did you deduce who and what Sebastian was, or did it remain a mystery to the end? I'm curious to know.
Chuck

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

And now I have the Terminator theme music playing in my head...
For those reading through this for the first time: at what point did you deduce who and what Sebastian was, or did it remain a mystery to the end? I'm curious to know.
I figured out he was from the future a few chapters ago (when Sebastian was telling Seven that Luke would come back), but based on that dialog, I thought he was another lover. I didn't realize he was Seven's child until the eyes comment at the end of this chapter.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sonnenburg wrote:For those reading through this for the first time: at what point did you deduce who and what Sebastian was, or did it remain a mystery to the end? I'm curious to know.
This isn't my first time with this, but I remember the first time it remained a mystery to the end, mostly because I never thought Luke and Seven would name a son Sebastian, I think. :P
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

I thought something was up with Sebastian, but I hadn't guessed he was Luke & Annika's son. That's a nice twist, I have to give you that.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Trogdor wrote:This isn't my first time with this, but I remember the first time it remained a mystery to the end, mostly because I never thought Luke and Seven would name a son Sebastian, I think. :P
But this time that excuse doesn't work. :)
Shadows of the Night, Redux Part XII wrote:"What of the boy?"

"His name is Bastian," Data said.

Seven ran her hand over the figures that adorned its cover. "It is a good name," she said after a brief time.
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I had been wondering especially if the part where Seven thought about how much everything Sebastian did reminded her of Luke tipped the hand too much.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXVI

Seven continued her log entry. "In retrospect," she said, "it was rather obvious. I had assumed that the person who had been on the planet with Vader was Terran, but that was based solely on the DNA in the mitochondria. But that DNA is passed from mother to child; it only meant that the person’s mother was Terran. And the nanoprobes... the nanoprobes saturate my body. It would certainly not be surprising to find them present in my offspring." She stopped and smiled as she thought about that fact.

“Katiskat is my favorite game,” he had said. “Mine too.” And of course, he would learn to play with the red pieces, since she always played green. She thought of the look he had given her the day he first arrived, so uncertain.

“He’s tougher than he looks,” Ben had said. With Borg technology working in his system, he just might be.

"Of course," Seven went on, "while his presence answered some questions, it naturally raised an even larger one."

“How can I have a child?” Seven asked.

“Um,” Sebastian squirmed uncomfortably. “You see, the little bee flies to the flower...”

“I know that,” she interrupted. “But how can I have a child?”

“Don’t ask me, I wasn’t there at the time.” His eyes widened. “At least I hope I’m not.”

“I can’t have children,” she insisted. “I’m not equipped for it.”

“Look, don’t ask me to explain because if you knew, you never told me.”

“Are you my only child?”

“Yes,” he said. “Maybe I was just a fluke or something. Ben called it ‘the will of fate.’ Said that me and Jacen and Jaina and Anakin were going to make it big someday.”

"Who's Anakin?"

“Jacen and Jaina’s little brother.” He suddenly looked a little upset with himself. “Damn, I forgot the year. Probably hasn’t been born yet has he.”

“No.”

“Damn! Try to forget about it. I wasn’t supposed to tell you anything, but when you found the lightsaber I had no choice but to tell you the truth.”

“If you’re my son,” she said, “You know I can’t forget.”

“Yes,” he said with a sigh. “I know all about your memory; trust me on that.” She laughed. “Oh it’s easy for you to find it funny,” he remarked. “You think it’s easy living with someone who can recall every screw-up you ever made?”

“I’m sure I only was trying to make you a better person.”

He made a noise of frustration. “That’s what you always said!”

Seven laughed, really laughed, and she realized it was because it was the first time in a long while that she had a reason to. What he said, what he represented, was exactly what she needed, a little bit of hope. Even if he wasn't from their timeline because of this, it gave her something real to cling to.

A small starship landed on one of the platforms in Paris, capital city of the Federation. The single pilot walked down the gangplank and approached the check-in where a Federation official sat waiting to process him with all the speed allowed in an overly bureaucratic system. She smiled at the man as he pulled out his identification papers and passed them over to her. “Anything you need to declare at this time?”

He shook his head.

“What is the nature of your trip to Earth?” He tapped a point on the papers and she looked more carefully. “My apologies, I didn’t notice you were mute.” She looked through them with all due haste. “These seem to be in order,” she passed them back. “Have a pleasant stay.” His face was expressionless as he took them back and walked on, into the city itself.

His senses reached outward, searching for the tell-tale sign of Force users. Even the young could be found this way; this was how the Jedi Council of old did their recruiting. Their kind, however, were near extinction, and if Skywalker succeeded, would be that much closer to removing the “near” portion of that description.

Han looked up at Leia as she came out of Picard’s office. “Well?”

“Same situation,” she said with a flush of anger in her cheeks. “The Federation isn’t sure it’s ready to get involved in a war against the Klingons at this time.”

“So it looks like the Romulans will be left to fend for themselves?” Han asked.

“Yes,” Leia said with disgust. “I can’t believe this is happening.”

“I can,” Han said with typical cynicism. “Everybody’s worried about the Empire now; the Klingons just aren’t worth getting upset over.”

“That doesn’t justify what’s happening!”

“Of course not. Just making an observation.” Han shrugged as he escorted her to the street. “You’re just upset because I’m right.” He smiled. “Again. Come on; Chewie’s got the twins, let’s get some lunch and try to forget.”

Seven and Sebastian walked through Paris, mostly talking about Seven and Luke in the present to avoid further polluting of the timeline. They talked and laughed and enjoyed the nice day and the brief escape from the seemingly constant string of tragedies that had come of late. It was, of course, too good to last. Sebastian's eyes suddenly went wide. “Oh no,” he said quietly.

“What?” Seven asked with concern. Sebastian looked about, and Seven noticed where they were. “This is Han and Leia’s building,” she said.

“I know,” he said dismissively. He closed his eyes tightly. “He’s here.”

“Who?”

“Skywalker,” he said with his eyes still closed. “He’s here in this city, in this building.”

“Luke’s on Earth?” Seven said with confusion. “Why?”

“I don’t-“ his eyes snapped open. “Oh no...” He bolted towards the building, Seven rushing to catch up.

“What’s going on?”

“We’ve got to stop him from making the biggest mistake of his life!”

C-3PO shuffled over to the door as it chimed. “Just a moment,” he said as Chewbacca watched him and closed the door to the twins room. Sometimes the droid’s annoying voice would wake them up, and that was more aggravation than he needed at the moment.

C-3PO activated the door release. “May I be of- Master Luke?”

The droid had a perfect memory of his master, every emotion and mood carefully catalogued so that the droid could better serve him. This expression left the droid speechless; the pent up rage and hatred behind those eyes almost caused a short circuit. The droid jumped as the blade ignited, and a fraction of a second later hit the floor in two pieces as his master stepped over the sparking remains.

Chewbacca was moving in a flash, his fangs bared, but a blow like a runaway speeder knocked him off his feet and down the hall. Skywalker stopped in the center of the room, his eyes looking around slowly as his mind probed. He turned and walked towards the door, hitting the release and seeing the sleeping forms within. They stirred as Chewie roared and dove at him, his claws out, his eyes blazing in righteous fury. With a casual swing Skywalker severed his left arm and Chewie hit the floor with a growl of pain, and Skywalker turned away and moved inside.

But it takes more than dismemberment to stop a Wookiee. Fear and self-preservation weren’t even considered, only the drive to defend the children above all else. He pushed himself back to his feet and moved but Luke turned and swung at him again, catching the Wookiee’s right arm just below the elbow, but still Chewie swung at him with the stump, howling with anger. The twins started crying as their slumber was broken, but it was a mere background noise between Chewbacca’s snarling and the changing pitch of Skywalker’s blade as the two fought.

Arriving at the door, Han jumped over C-3PO’s form and ran for the twins’ room as Leia followed, pulling out her lightsaber. He rushed in and saw Chewbacca covered with burnt scars on his tan fur, assorted body parts lying about. The Wookiee was holding his own entrails inside his body with the stump of one arm, but still he continued to attack. Finally the blade passed through his chest, and the Wookiee fell to his knees and then forward, his head twisting and seeing Han’s look of horror. And all that could be read on his face was his own shame -he had given everything, but it wouldn't be enough to save those in his charge. Han's teeth ground in hatred as he watched the light go out in Chewie's eyes, knowing that he'd never get the chance to thank his friend for dying to buy the twins a little time. Han pulled out his blaster and fired. Skywalker spun and deflected two into the wall and the third back at him, hitting the wall just behind Han. The power conduit exploded, knocking him off his feet and to the floor in an unconscious heap as the power went out throughout the building. Leia stepped in as Luke raised his saber and swung towards one of the twins.

“NO!” she screamed, and the dresser flew across the room and hit him with such force both passed through the wall into the dining room. She looked at the four briefly before giving chase, ducking and bringing her blade up to stop his swing as she stepped through the opening. She could feel what he was thinking, what he had come for, and her blood seethed. She swung at him several times, the Sith blocking them easily. He grinned at her. Yes sister, the voice came to her mind, I’m going to kill them both. He made several swings forcing her back. I’m going to slice them into little bitty pieces. I’ll make sure to take my time, so they know exactly what’s happening to them. He swung again. Oh yes, their shrieks will be heard across the city.

The counterswing by Leia knocked the lightsaber right out of his hand, sending it spiraling out of the room. Whatever compassion she might have had for her lost brother had been replaced by pure hatred. He dodged her next swing and somersaulted backwards, rolled and jumped through the door, grabbing his saber and bringing it around just as Leia came through and swung at him. Their blades met a second and third time and he adjusted his position, twisting and forcing her off balance. Leia hit the floor on her back, slightly dazed but when he came to swing at her she put both feet into his solar plexus and tossed him backwards into a hutch. She jumped to her feet as he turned and brought his blade back, swinging horizontally as she brought it up and twisted, making a quick jab for his neck that he ducked beneath. They’re as good as dead, his mind said with satisfaction. You can’t save them. His blade skipped right and left and then he brought a low swing that she almost didn’t catch. “Shut up,” she said through her teeth. His smile continued and he leaped back, and she found herself twisting to avoid an onslaught of china that whirled off the nearby shelf at her. You cannot stop the power of the Dark side, he chortled.

She held up a hand at an approaching plate and it stopped, spinning in the air. It rocketed across the room at Skywalker’s head and he ducked just in time as it drove four inches into the wall. You can’t stop me, his grin said. You’re barely slowing me down. You were weaker than I was before I turned, and now you’re nothing by comparison. I’ll be with your children soon enough, and we’ll have lots of fun.

Leia’s swings were furious, forcing Skywalker back again and again as she struck with a rage she had never known. Her one and only thought was to kill this monster, to end this nightmare once and for all by any means necessary. She felt power surging through her as he tripped over a footstool to avoid her swing, rolling out of the way to follow the next strike. Threaten my family? she thought with belligerence. You think I’ll ever let that happen? Never! Not while I’m here; a chair exploded under her furious assault. Because to get through them, you go through me! He tried moving onto the offensive, but she elbowed him in the face and nearly decapitated him for his effort. And I’ll protect the people I love no matter what the cost! His blade left his hand a second time under her blow. Killing an unarmed Wookiee and threatening infants?! Do you think that makes you powerful?! She grinned at him with satisfaction as she raised the blade to finish it. I’ll show you what power is!

And in the blink of an eye she realized. It was what had happened to her brother, what happened to her father. The Dark side; it had the answers, always the answer you wanted to hear. It used your emotions against you, turned your love into hate. No wonder he could destroy the Borg, she thought, it turned his passions into unquenchable anger. It offered to solve all your problems, to smite your enemies and end your pain and right all the wrongs and I’ll give you everything you ever wanted if you just take that one final step and in the end isn’t it such a little step?

She suddenly remembered a line she had read in one of Earth’s books. “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?” She hadn’t understood until now what it really meant. Destroy him, and you’ll become him Leia. You will be everything you hate, just as this creature before you is everything Luke ever fought to stop.

Then the door opened, and the next thing Leia felt was a blow to the head, and unconsciousness overtook her.

Annika and Sebastian stared at each other in the darkened turbolift. Sometimes random discharges of weapons into the power distribution center can be quite inconvenient. There was a cracking sound. “What are you doing?” Sebastian asked.

“I’m reconstructing my ocular implant,” Seven said. “It will allow me to see even in this darkness.”

“I wish you would’ve taught me that trick,” Sebastian remarked. “For a long time you never wanted to teach me to make Borg implants.”

“Probably because I didn’t want you to become dependent on them,” Seven said as she started opening the top of the turbolift. “After all these years I can’t survive without them.”

“Maybe, but it’d come in handy right now. I can’t do more than a few tricks with ‘em, and this isn’t on my list.” Sebastian just stood there in the dark. He had pretty good senses with his Jedi training, but in this pitch-black structure he was stuck. “I don’t suppose you can create a lamp?”

“No.”

“Of course not. That would actually be useful.”

“Hey, I’m a drone not a Swiss-army knife.” She pulled herself onto the roof of the turbolift, then reached down and pulled Sebastian up. “It looks like we’ve only got another nine levels to go,” Seven observed. “Might as well get climbing.” They started moving, Seven by sight and Sebastian by feel. They got almost three floors before Sebastian slipped and fell, which wasn’t too bad. “Sebastian!” she called as he fell. “Are you okay?”

“No problem, I landed on my spine.”

“Are you injured?”

“Just give me a minute and I’ll be okay. You better keep moving, we may not have much time left.”

Seven pulled herself up the rest of the way and pried the door open, jumping into the opening and sprinting down the hall towards Han and Leia’s quarters. She slapped the controls and rushed inside, only to see Luke and Leia staring at each other. A piece of furniture flew up as she walked in and Leia twisted to avoid it, but it was too late as it connected with the back of her skull and caused her to fall to the floor unconscious. Nice timing, Seven thought grimly as Luke looked over at her, eyeing her as if she were a bacterial specimen. He walked over nonchalantly and grabbed his lightsaber as Seven rushed towards the twins’ room, but the door shut before she got there and the controls sparked. She turned and saw Skywalker pointing at it, then igniting his lightsaber with a smile.

Seven took Vader’s lightsaber and lit it, holding it in front of her in the standard this-is-how-it-looks-like-the-experts-hold-it manner. She considered shutting it off, half afraid she might amputate something by accident trying to fight while holding the thing. He grinned as he approached her, sending chills through her body. She’d seen that face smile so often, whether in humor or enjoyment or irony, but now it was so sadistic it made her cringe. She wanted to reach out for him and yet she wanted him to just stay away. She was so conflicted and confused as he moved with patient ease across the room towards her. It was like being married to an alcoholic; you’re so terrified of them but you can’t get past how much you love them, how much you need them.

Then her Borg side spoke up, the part of her that was reasonable and analytical, which casually reminded her that this discussion was all well and good, but the fact was the man was now trying to kill her, and perhaps she ought to do something about it. That’s not Luke, it reminded her; don’t confuse the monster with the man. She swung the lightsaber like a crowbar, and Skywalker easily deflected it. She repeated it several times; each time he stopped it with minimal effort. She swung sideways and he caught it and twisted, tossing it out of her hands, his grin growing as she backed away.

Something happened inside her at that moment, although she couldn’t describe it. She thought about what Ben had said about fate, about Leia and Han, about the fact that she would one day have a son despite the curse of the Borg, about who the man before her was, about what she was, about how the future showed her that she was going to be with him again and all she had to do was wait and she'd finally get what she wanted for so long. It would happen... it already has happened... from a certain point of view.

She instinctively ducked under his killing stroke and swung at him, her fist connecting with his ribcage and causing him to stumble over backwards. He looked up at her with confusion and anger. Seven just stared at her fist in disbelief. Maybe she had caught him off guard, she thought. Or maybe all that practicing had finally paid off.

Regardless, the effect was that Skywalker wasn’t going to play with her any more. He reached out at her and she was knocked off her feet, and he hopped up to finish her off. There was a snap-hiss sound and Skywalker turned around while Seven slowly moved away from him. Sebastian stood on the other side of the room, his lightsaber lit and held before him.

“All right,” he said as he stared with conviction at his father, “let’s dance.”
Chuck

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

"....I’ll show you what power is!"

Oh how it runs in this family :D
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:"....I’ll show you what power is!"

Oh how it runs in this family :D
Oh yeah. :)
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:cry: I still can't believe you did it. Poor Chewie.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote::cry: I still can't believe you did it. Poor Chewie.
Yeah, I didn't like doing it; I hadn't planned on doing it actually.

Oo boy...

This is a secret known to I think maybe two other people; I didn't even bring this up in my "commentary" thing. Chewie died because unfortunately Skywalker wasn't seen as the evil creature he was envisioned to be by me. I had thought that by trying to murder Seven it would be clear just how twisted and evil this person was; instead the initial reaction was that it was a pity he didn't finish her off and have more freaky Sith sex with Mara. Not that I was trying to push people into liking Seven or hating Mara, but it was obvious that the character of Skywalker wasn't being properly perceived.

So a near murder wasn't enough; it had to be the real thing. What's more, it had to be someone we cared about, someone whose death would be visceral. Chewie seemed the only one to fit the bill: a loveable character who would face down a Sith unarmed with complete disregard for his own safety; that's his character to me.

So there it is; it was never planned for Chewie to die, it happened as an outgrowth of the commentary. And I believe it worked. After this happened even the harshest defender of Skywalker was calling for his head.
Chuck

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

One things for sure, going out against a Sith, protecting your family's children beats the hell out of getting a moon dropped on your head.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

That is what I was trying for. Obviously there's no chance in hell Chewie's going to defeat a Sith, but I wanted his death to obvious mean something.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

First of two for today

Part XXVII

Sebastian was in his room in the base when his mother opened the door. "It's them, isn't it," Sebastian said. It wasn't a question.

Annika Hansen Skywalker nodded. "It's Vong, I'm sure of it."

His father had put the two of them here to prevent this very thing from happening. This abandoned base in the delta quadrant was supposed to be far from the front-lines. There was only one conclusion: they were here for one of them, or both. It was a thought that turned the stomach to concrete. Vong despise humans, and they despise technology. Cybernetic humans like himself and his mother, well, it was pretty obvious that there was little love found for them.

"I'll protect you," he promised.

"I'm fine," she insisted, even though it was a lie. The fungal disease she'd come down with years before was the whole reason he was out here. Aggressive nanoprobe therapy was the only thing keeping her alive, and he was the only source of untainted nanoprobes left. "I've sent out a distress signal; we just need to keep them at bay long enough for help to arrive."

The alarm sounded, and Annika cursed. "Do mother a favor," she said quickly, "seal the main entrance to buy us some time. I'm going to get some things out of storage."

Sebastian nodded and bolted through the door, sprinting through the facility until he reached the main entrance. The alarm had automatically locked it; for safety he also set the manuals. The Vong weren't supposed to use technology, but the exterior sensors showed they'd arrived in a metallic starship, not a bioship. If they figured the two humans were worth that blasphemy, they might try to override the autolocks.

As he slid the last lock into position there came heavy blows from the other side. Sebastian backed away and pulled out his lightsaber. "Mother!" he called. "I don't think this is going to hold them for long!"

"Just hold on," she called.

The metal burst inward in one spot as a Vong weapon penetrated. The amphistaf could block lightsabers when hardened, but it turned soft to try and find the release for the door. Sebastian quickly cut its head off and the living weapon was pulled back out. A second came through, and he swung again, but this time it sprayed fluid when he cut through it. The lightsaber sparked and fizzed, then went out, and Sebastian cursed quietly. He backed away from the door and up the stairs as the Vong decided to just batter the door down. He jumped as his mother grabbed his shoulder. "They’ll be coming through any second," he said, "and they fried my lightsaber," he said.

"Look in here," she tossed him the bag she'd been carrying. She had a blaster rifle hung over her shoulder, but she opted to plug directly into the station's power supply. He could hear the sound of implants forming on her arm; she was devising some small blaster artillery, apparently. Hopefully the effort of using her nanoprobes wouldn't weaken her too much in the battle against the Vong and the disease.

Sebastian rummaged through the bag, expecting to find one of his father's lightsabers or something. Instead he found a double-bladed saber. "Where'd you get this?" he asked in surprise.

"Never mind," she said, and he figured now wasn't the time to dwell on it. The door collapsed, and she let loose with some heavy blasts. It was a stalemate, which worked in their favor. All they needed was time.

Suddenly the lights went out, and Annika cursed. "They cut the power," she said, grabbing Sebastians arm as she detached the weapon from her arm and pulled out the blaster rifle. She led the way through the station while around them was the sound of Vong footsteps on the metal grating of the floor. Sebastian suggested a good bottleneck point, and reluctantly she agreed, but he could tell she was worried about him. He could handle this. It had been a long time since... since it happened.

They ducked into their hiding place, and he could sense her nervousness, and her exhaustion. The weapon had taken a great deal out of her. "Mom?" he said nervously.

Annika looked up and smiled at him. "Everything's going to be fine," she promised him. But as the seconds passed, the smile faded and her jaw was trembling. She was terrified for him, he could tell... and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't. "Get in front of me," she said, looking into her sack again.

"They're coming," he said, wishing he could focus on the enemy with his Jedi senses, but there was nothing there.

"Here it is," she said as she pulled a small round disk out of the sack.

"What is it?" Sebastian asked. Then he felt her press it against his back.

"I love you," she said, and pushed the button, and the next thing he knew he was falling out of the sky.

He'd stood there on the surface of Krenim, and he could only think of what she had done. Together they had a chance, but alone... neither of them could survive. But that was the choice she made, as Ben had put it. Better to face a certain death herself than to risk the life of her only son. He was so angry at her for making that decision for him, and he was so afraid of what he knew must have happened. He would never see her again.

And then he did. Younger, less confident, but also less weary, like when he was a child. And it made the guilt easier to bear, even if he had to deceive her all the time. It was hard, especially the few times he'd seen her crying for his father, sensing her dread and loneliness. How he had longed to tell her it would be all right, that he knew it was all right because he was living proof. He wanted to tell her that things would get better in time, to be strong like she had always seemed to be to the young man.

There was only one person who could do that though, the only one who could help her dry her tears and tell her she'd never have to be alone again. And he was now staring at him; far different now, scarier. He had spoken of this time with Sebastian often during his training, a reminder of the dangers of the Dark Side. "You know how much I love your mother," he had said. "But in the grip of the Dark side, there is no such thing as love or compassion or mercy or anything, anything at all except destruction and hatred." He had believed him, but actually confronting it was downright horrifying. But there was no choice now; Sebastian had to stop him somehow, so he held up that lightsaber, the one his mother had given him, and lit the blade and called the challenge. The question was, could he beat the man who had taught him everything he knew?

Skywalker turned towards him and raised his blade to accept the challenge as Annika moved away. He sensed his father's confusion at his presence; he could feel him trying to understand how what his Jedi senses told him could be true. "Yes," Sebastian confirmed. "You're going to have to face your son who refuses to embrace the Dark side as you did." He forced a smile. "Don't you just love irony?"

Skywalker’s smile returned as he approached Sebastian, the younger man moving cautiously. “I know what you’re thinking,” Sebastian said. “You’re thinking you have the advantage. I can’t kill you because then I’ll never exist, whereas you have no such restriction. Well,” he adjusted his position as Luke moved slowly around him, “I’m afraid that doesn’t fly. If that is true and I can’t kill you, then it also means that you can’t kill Jacen or Jaina or Annika, and that your time as a Sith will end, so I win even if you kill me. But if that’s not true, if that’s just a potential future, then anything can happen, even you dying by my hands. So,” he wet his lips in anticipation of the fight, “we can do this easy or hard.”

Hard apparently was the choice as Skywalker made the first attack, an overhead swing that Sebastian caught. He pushed backwards and almost knocking his father over. He was physically stronger of course, but he had to be careful not to overextend himself or he'd leave himself open. He felt the flash of rage and moved quickly to stop a sudden hail of swings; left, right, left, up, left, he skidded down to catch a low swipe while Skywalker raised his hand at his face and delivered a disorienting blow, but still the young Jedi caught the strikes that followed, letting instinct guide him. He was on the defensive, but that was okay for right now as his blade moved as if it had a life of its own.

Beyond the battle Seven got to her feet and plunged her assimilation tubules in the controls of the door, overriding the system and opening it. She rushed inside and saw Han lying unconscious, and then she saw Chewie. Her heart broke at the sight of him... he was such a wonderful being, and now he laid dead, killed at the hand of someone she thought she loved.

The sound of the twins crying broke her out of the spell, and she quickly rushed over and scooped them up. There was no way she could risk trying to go back out the entrance where Skywalker and Sebastian were fighting, so she tapped her communicator. "Spacedock," she said. "This is Lt. Comm. Seven of Nine. I need you to beam me up."

"Commander this is Spacedock, is there a reason for this request?"

There was a sudden crashing of furniture outside the room. "Emergency transport, now!" Thankfully they complied, but even on Spacedock, she didn't feel safe. He'd killed Chewie... could he ever possibly be redeemed? She took a breath to keep her emotions steady. Was she waiting for someone that was never going to come?

Back in the Solo's apartment, Sebastian ducked under another assault by furniture as the battle heated up. There was a sudden flash as the power came back on, but he ignored the distraction and caught a chair in a Force grip and deflecting it into the wall. He took advantage of the distraction and moved onto the offensive, making quick jabs with his lightsaber. They locked blades and there was a snapping sound as a metal plate emerged from his forehead. He twisted the blades slowly to the left and then slammed his head into Skywalker's, knocking the Sith to the floor. He followed up with an overhead slice, but, still on his back, Skywalker drew up his lightsaber and caught it, then knocked him backwards with a Force blow. He arced his back and returned to his feet as Sebastian brought his blade around and they clashed again.

Skywalker looked into Sebastian's face, and a sinister grin passed his lips. Sebastian knew he was sensing him, and he tried to remain strong, but some things sit too close to the surface. Looking into the eyes of his father who had always bested him, who had done so many astonishing things, who was still a legend in Sebastian's own time, brought it back to the surface. And in his mind, Skywalker said one word which struck like a block of duracrete to the head.

Unworthy.

It provided a momentary distraction, but in the hands of a master that was more than enough. Skywalker twisted his blade and used his momentum, flinging the lightsaber out of his son's hand and across the room. Sebastian ducked under a horizontal slice and rolled away from a vertical one, jumping to his feet as Skywalker lunged. Sebastian twisted and caught his lightsaber hand, yanking it outwards and driving his knee into his solar plexus, then catching him on the chin with the palm of his hand. But surprisingly his father, flooded with the Dark Side, threw him off, his blade piercing the floor where Sebastian had been. Sebastian continued his roll and came up in a fighting stance as he called his blade back and caught his father's next swing.

Sebastian was half Borg, so when he fought, he usually became cool and analytical. The more desperate the situation, the more controlled he became. But not this time. The word still stung, because the wound was so tender. Skywalker knew just where to hit him, just where to hurt him. Whatever the hell this thing was, it sure wasn't his father... and any hope of mercy it might have had had just evaporated.

Sebastian pushed back against him and used the brief distraction to jump to his feet and perform a series of high strikes that put Skywalker on the defensive. He swung left hard, forcing his opponent’s blade away as he finished turning and brought up his foot, extending with all the strength he could muster. The blow caught Skywalker in his chest and he flew backwards. Sebastian felt his jolt of pain; apparently he hit the same spot his mother had struck Skywalker earlier. This only succeeded in enflaming his anger as he stood back up, but then there was another movement, and he saw Leia start to come to her feet. Even a Sith like Skywalker could see that he had the disadvantage now, and since his targets were obviously gone he decided he had enough. He gestured at the window and it exploded, and he ran and jumped out of it.

Sebastian rushed over and looked in horror. They were about fifteen stories up, but when the tiny figure hit the ground he didn’t even seem to be injured as he started sprinting up the street. Suddenly a flicker of warning and Sebastian turned and held up his blade, catching Leia’s swing. “It’s okay it’s okay,” he said frantically. “I’m on your side.”

Leia looked at him, strangely, her heart racing and head thumping, unable to feel the presence of her children and fearing the worst. “Annika took them somewhere safe,” he assured her. “It’s going to be all right.”

“Who are you?” she demanded. "I've seen you before, except... younger." Her eyes widened. "The vision of the future, you... you were the third."

Sebastian stared. "I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you had a vision of the future, yeah, there's a good chance I was in it."

Leia looked at him in disbelief. "How can you be here?"

“A long story,” he said. They turned quickly as several people rushed into the room, phaser rifles drawn. “Nice timing,” he said dryly.

“What’s going on?” the lieutenant demanded. He seemed of the type who was incapable of grasping much beyond the basics of pointing dangerous objects at people and telling them what to do.

“It’s all right now,” Leia said, turning off her lightsaber.

The lieutenant didn’t seem easily persuaded. There weren’t too many calls for law enforcing in Paris and he seemed quite excited at the prospect of arresting somebody. “We had reports of an intruder.”

“He’s gone,” Leia said. “But we appreciate the assistance.”

The lieutenant allowed this thought to penetrate, but didn’t seemed inclined to walk away empty handed so quickly. “I think we should look about.”

“This is New Republic territory,” she said finally, her exhaustion overpowering her normally good nature. “Please leave.”

“I think-“ he was cut off by the lightsaber re-igniting.

“It’s been a long day,” she said through her teeth. “In the interest of furthering Federation-Republic relations I’d advise you to get out of my home.”

The lieutenant, apparently deciding that excitement wasn’t as great as he’d thought it’d be, gestured and the group exited the room. Leia turned away and walked over to the twins’ room, Sebastian close behind. They found Han sitting on the floor against the wall, looking at the remains of the closest friend he’d ever had. Han wasn’t the type who cried about anything, refusing to ever allow any kind of weakness, even to himself. Instead all that could be felt was a white-hot anger, and Sebastian knew that twenty years from now, time wasn’t going to take the edge off it.

“If I ever see Luke again,” he rumbled, “I’ll kill him.”
Chuck

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Aweee you took away the "We don't want any!" line.
I loved that :D

But I like the additions.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Excellant fight scene with nice ties to PL as well.

Though time travel makes my head hurt. Is Sebastion's little trip in AAO and Pl a closed loop ala Terminator? Or is the current Sebastion from a different time line than the onein PL/BoH/DoF? I ask because Sebastion doesn't seem very well informed about past events. Maybe its just because the family don't tell him very much about the time Daddy was evil.

Is the Sebastion in DoF older biologically than he should be chronologically because of the time travel as well?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Aweee you took away the "We don't want any!" line.
I loved that :D

But I like the additions.
Thanks. I wound up ditching the line 'cause it seemed a little too over the top for Annika, given the situation they were in. The Vong are the one thing she can't be flippant about, given the relationship between them and the Skywalker family.

It's very fun, btw, to chart a character arc that's told out of order. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Excellant fight scene with nice ties to PL as well.

Though time travel makes my head hurt. Is Sebastion's little trip in AAO and Pl a closed loop ala Terminator? Or is the current Sebastion from a different time line than the onein PL/BoH/DoF? I ask because Sebastion doesn't seem very well informed about past events. Maybe its just because the family don't tell him very much about the time Daddy was evil.

Is the Sebastion in DoF older biologically than he should be chronologically because of the time travel as well?
Thank you.

This is indeed a closed loop. One of the "rules" of the story is that there is only one Sebastian Skywalker; he doesn't exist in any other reality, he only exists here. He does know a bit of what's going on (for example, the part where he says they've got to stop Luke from making the biggest mistake of his life, which is killing Chewie), but obviously he doesn't know every detail. It was obviously a very painful time for everyone involved and they wouldn't want to dwell on it, or pollute the timestream.

You've also hit the nail on the head about Sebastian's age; he is older biologically than he should be because of this experience.
Chuck