With Justice For None (Nalifan and Company)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

LadyTevar wrote: I thought it was "that woman" myself. *shrug*
You're right.
either way, that was a good chapter, although if Kaeryn hears them talking about Nalifan like that she'll be giving him a major tongue-lashing.
Why do you think they waited until Kaeryn was somewhere else before having this conversation? :D
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Laerasis entered the work room. "They have departed lord."

"Good," Nalifan replied. The arch-mage was dressed for travelling with a leather overrobe slit for easy movement over his regular clothes. "May they cause the Banites much pain before they fall or are broken."

Laerasis smiled. "I take it you don't expect them to have much success."

"They aren't nearly bloodthirsty enough to win. Imizael is inexperienced, Astinius won't get his hands dirty, Kaeryn is far too concerned over the welfare of 'innocents' and Gaheris only thinks he's hard. They're too stubborn to admit that they're beaten and not nearly evil enough to win. They will serve my aims perfectly."

"As you say, my lord."

"If I am slain, or Trizkel returns, make sure that either he or my new self read this book." He handed a slim volume to her. There was another copy in a desk drawer, of course. A life time of paranoia was not lightly discarded.

She bowed. "Your will. You will not be needing me?"

"No. The chances of me perishing this time around are slim. My slayer took me by surprise using powerful magic. Subsequent viewings of the event were most informative."

She smiled. "Good. May your victory be swift and your vengeance slow and lingering."

"Thank you," he replied. "You have more you wish to say. Speak."

"My lord, you should wait until Mikos or Trizkel returns. No one doubts your power, but this foe defeated you before. It would be wise to have overwhelming force with you."

"But you do doubt my strength," said Nalifan. "It's alright. I forgive you for that. I will reclaim what is mine and I will put my affairs in order and I will visit terrible vengeance upon those who destroyed Messina. Servant or saint, whore or hero those that are mine are under my protection. Westgate's master will understand exactly what the consequences of that shall be and it will not be me serving his goals by breaking the Banites."

"My lord, I don't understand. What do you mean by serving-"

"You don't have to," he said, silencing her with a finger on her lips. "It is enough that I do. We play the long game, he and I, and I will show him that even his clever arraingments are subject to disruption and that he can still be wounded. Badly."

"As you wish my lord. I will wait here and hold your house in order my lord."

"Good. That is what I require from you." He looked her in the eye. "You will never be punished for voicing doubts, even about me. Never. I require, more than anything save loyalty, the best council all my allies and retainers possess. Even if I hate your words, you shall not suffer for it." With that the arch-mage walked passed his major domo. Two last things to do before he left and he would prefer privacy for both. He returned to his personal quarters and closed the doors.

Words of Power rolled off his tongue, touching the very fabric of the multiverse and drawing potent and terrible energies towards him. Two circles of shining cyan runes formed around him, suspended in the air. They began to counter rotate, binding energies into a specific pattern. A circle of blue flame ignited above his head. For a brief moment, the circles blazed brighter and then faded. The power was bound. The spell was done. For another three days the arch-necromancer would wield the power of the Crown of Sorcery.

The drow smiled as he pulled the thin adamantine wire out of his robes and began to croon spells over it. "Such a humble thing," he said, "a simple strand of metal. But as my uncle says it is victory that really matters and worrying about style means you have let them see you coming. A surprising amount of wisdom can fall from the lips of assassins, if you are wise enough to listen."

The drow uttered the initiators of another spell and was swept through space to appear on a barren, rocky plane. Tuffs of grass struggled to find purchase on baked and lifeless ground and camouflaged lizards silently watched the intruder from where they were sunning themselves on rocks. The badlands stretched for miles in every direction with the only signs of life being the tough scrub bushes, buzzing insects, and the vulture circling high overhead. Nalifan cared nothing for any of them.

Before him was a boulder strewn heap of earth. It's appearance was entirely mundane. It had sufficed to fool most who saw it, but it hadn't fooled him. He walked foreward, touching his eyelids with an ointment and invoking a spell to enhance his vision. Only magic would allow a replay of what happened last time and this time he would see it coming.

He touched a stone slab, getting a grip around the edges, and pulled it open to reveal the hallway concealed within. A cruel smile on his lips, the drow descended into darkness.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Erm... Laerasis fails to see how eliminating the Banites now would serve the Night King's aims? How obvious can it be that they'd be in the way of the Night Kingdom after his enemies are eliminated?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote:Erm... Laerasis fails to see how eliminating the Banites now would serve the Night King's aims? How obvious can it be that they'd be in the way of the Night Kingdom after his enemies are eliminated?
She doesn't have the full picture. She knows very little about Westgate and her particular view is skewed by knowing the Night King doesn't have the city yet and has stray arch-mages running around making trouble. Her preconceptions come from drow city-state politics with each city sitting on a priceless horde of life sustaining resources and every neighbor willing to pounce if the collective weakens. Cultural blindspot.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Gaheris materialized in a pool of light. He looked up and saw great stained glass windows depicting the glory of the Morning Lord and some of his most beloved saints filling the cathedral with brilliant light. "It's beautiful," Astinius whispered.

"Yeah," said Gaheris, "let's keep it that way." He started walking towards the cathedral doors. He raised his voice to addressed the startled and heavily armed priests. "Sorry about the interruption. We're just passing through. May Lathandar and Tyr be with you." He pushed the door open and lead his people into the street.

Gaheris was used to the streets of Westgate being full of bustling crowds in the mid morning. Instead the streets here were barren and empty. No one wanted to mark himself as a future victim for those that were watching. Across the square from the cathedral three Banites wearing scarlet cloaks and night black spiked plate were stirring into motion as they saw Gaheris and his companions emerge from the cathedral.

Gaheris charged foreward, confident that he would arrive just behind a wave of crippling sorcery. Astinius uttered a killing spell and a beam of crackling darkness struck an invisible figure who fell to the cobblestones with an audible thump. The Banites invoked spells.

A crossbow bolt from Morfindel hit the lead Banite's breastplate and ricochetted off. A column of green flames came down on Morfindel, Imizael, Astinius, and Kaeryn only collapse into harmless sparks as Imizael shouted a counterspell. The lead Banite drew his mace and met Gaheris's charge.

The paladin parried the mace blow with Bright Edge and dodged the swipe of the spiked gauntlet. Astinius shouted another spell on the Banite on the left froze while the one on the right moved to flank Gaheris. A bad move, because Morfindel was already moving up, knives drawn.

Gaheris fell back two steps and feinted at the one on his right. The Banite moved to block, and for a crucial moment, ignored the sprinting elf. The Banite realized his danger and turned towards Morfindel, raising his mace. Too late.

The elf stepped into the blow as it began to come down and jammed his right hand blade into the exposed right armpit. Blood spurted from the wound as the elf slammed bodily into the much more massive Banite. The left hand blade came up and then down, through the armour's eyeslit. More blood jetted and they both went down in a tangled heap.

Gaheris feinted right, dodged back, and lunged ahead. The priest retreated a step and swept his mace in front of him. The move was too slow. He was trying to sucker Gaheris into moving into a false opening. The paladin declined.

"Tyr!" he shouted as he lunged. Bright Edged glowed with pure white power as he slashed the Banite across the thigh of his leading leg. The elven blade slashed through the cuisse like it was leather not steel, slicing through flesh and cutting through bone, nearly severing the leg. Blood spurted from the wound as the Banite priest fell.

"Astinius?" Gaheris called out as he raised Bright Edge and twirled the sword above his head. The fallen Banite was desperately beginning the words to a healing chant.

"The other one's petrified," the elf mage replied.

"Good," Gaheris said as he brought the blade down point first with both of his hands on the hilt. The blessed elven blade punched through the enchanted breastplate scrapped the backplate as it penetrated the priest's chest. The healing chant turned into a gasp of pain. Gaheris twisted the blade. Metal shrieked as hole in the breastplate widened as the elven blade tore into the priest. Gaheris pulled Bright Edge out of the wound. "Then we don't need this one alive."

Morfindel walked over to him, nodding in approval. "We should take the heads. Make raising them harder."

"Right. You take off their helmets." Gaheris looked around. The distant crowds were all stairing and almost every window had a pair of eyes looking out. "Its begun. Okay, let's secure out prisoner so he doesn't get any bright ideas when Astinius reverses the spell. Imizael get that mind probe ready." Gaheris drew a length of wire from his belt and looped it around the Banite's hands, ready to tug it tight when the spell came off. Now they were getting somewhere.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan walked through the darkened corridor to the first guardroom where an earth elemental had once waited to crush him into paste. He had blasted the creature to dust with single spell. Now the smooth stone room was barren, its guardian abscent. It had only been a handfull of days since he had been here last, although it seemed much longer. The warden of what had once been an Ilythiiri hall of magic had obviously not had time to repair all of her defences.

He passed through the empty room of smooth, spell shaped stone into the corridor beyond. It twisted down, deeper into the earth. Nalifan activated a spell of flight to pass over the illusion concealed spiked pit just before the second room. Only a few shallow pools of water remained as evidence of the killing frost he had unleashed against the fiery guardian in this room.

The corridor beyond continued to twist downward. Nalifan passed a deactivated lightning trap and over a pressure plate. An invisible haze of poison gas blocked his path, but a comparatively simple spell allowed him to step outside of space and reappear beyond it. The smoothed out natural cavern that had formed the third guardroom was just ahead.

The enormous, rusted bulk of the iron golem was still standing there, vanquished by Nalifan a handful of days ago, but it was not alone. Beside the rusted mass that vaguely resembled a twenty foot tall elven knight the air stirred. A creature from the elemental plane of air, invisible to the unaided eye but easily spotted by Nalifan's spell enhanced vision. This guardian, at least, had been replaced. The invisible stalker rushed towards him with only a hint of gusting wind betraying its movement.

He pointed his finger and incanted a spell as it closed. A beam of crimson and ebony struck the elemental creature and it collapsed into stray gusts of wind. Nalifan floated through its dissipaiting body and across the cavern. One more trap remained, the one that had overcome him in the end.

The ward guarding this area suppressed another alarm spell, one that would go off if this spell failed. He hadn't noticed that little detail at the time, which had been his undoing. He had walked into the great room and the warden had been waiting for him on a ledge high up the cavern wall and to the left. By the time he had spotted her, she had already finished her first spell.

He uttered a spell of disolution and watched as the ward disintigrated. Smiling, he uttered a defensive spell of his own before proceeding, conjuring two dozen spell eating silvery spheres that surrounded his body like planets around a sun. It was a pitty that it was so difficult, if not impossible, to teleport or scry into the great room from outside of it, but he could manage. He pulled the garrotte out and gripped the wire tightly with gloved hands. The corridor of spell shaped stone gave one last twist. He could see the light of the great room. He turned to the left and side slid in.

The room was just as he remembered it, a vaulted ceiling a hundred feet high and two hundred feet wide. A corridor lead away at the far end and from a ledge thirty feet up and to the left from the entrance. Great runes of blue fire covered the walls and ceiling of the dome. She stood at the ledge, a dark haired sun elf wearing robes of ebony and gold with his bracers on her wrists. Silver fire engulfed her hands and a golden aura of protection enveloped her. Their eyes met for a moment as she finished her spell.

He uttered a single, short syllable and vanished. Silver fire struck acid pitted stone with a thunderous roar and blasted a crater in the floor. Shards of white hot rock rebounded off the rune encrusted walls. There was no sign of the drow arch mage.

A spell wrapped adamantine wire slipped down in front of Talindra's face and clenched around her throat with lightning speed. Nalifan pulled the enchanted wire tight and magical protection and soft flesh parted like cheese cloth. Blood welled from the wound and then gushed forth as the drow jerked savagely on the garrotte, severing her wind pipe and then slicing through arteries and veins. Blood gushed forth as he drew the garrotte deeper, scoring bone. She jerked and spasmed and then ceased to fight.

Nalifan held her for a moment as he life bled out of her and then let her go. He stripped the dying woman of Spell Breaker and Weave Binder and returned them to their rightful place on his arms. From a pocket of his robes he pulled out a black sapphire. "Do you recognize this?" he asked as he moved it in front of her eye. "Or has your brain lost too much blood for you to recognize this? Either way, unlike me, you will not be getting a another chance at this." Her eye fluttered, either through conscious effort or dying spasm.

Nalifan stripped the corpse of magic, some of it his own, some of it hers. He uttered the spell which would draw her fleeing soul in the dark gem and then replaced it in his pocket. There were two exits from this chamber, one here and the other below. What treasures would they lead too, besides his old possessions? That was hard to say and ignored entirely this great room which contained the magic of the ages on its floor and ceiling, magics that the Ilythiiri thought might be enough to subdue the other elven races and nations at a time when elven power had been at its height.

He smiled and kicked Talindra's body off the ledge. It landed with a wet thump on the floor. "I have time, more than enough time now. Let us see what I can make of it."
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Hehe awesome :twisted: . That should teach her to change her tactics, especially when she kills an archmage without binding his soul :lol: ... I wonder how Imizael will react to this :o ... Did Nalifan fail to notice physical similarities between the two, or do they look quite different ?

What about Ydrek Tolgren and co, the man who set out to avenge his brother and his brother's wife in the first page ? When will we hear about him again ?

( And by the way, did you abandon "A Piece at a Time" :( ? )
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The Nomad wrote:Hehe awesome :twisted: . That should teach her to change her tactics, especially when she kills an archmage without binding his soul :lol: ... I wonder how Imizael will react to this :o ... Did Nalifan fail to notice physical similarities between the two, or do they look quite different ?
They're dark haired female sun elves, which aren't that unusual. And Nalifan only saw Talindra briefly the first time.
What about Ydrek Tolgren and co, the man who set out to avenge his brother and his brother's wife in the first page ? When will we hear about him again ?
At the right time and place. Soon.
( And by the way, did you abandon "A Piece at a Time" :( ? )
Nothing gets abandoned, not even "Sarcophagus". ;) After I finish "With Justice For None" I'm going to tie up some of my hanging stories.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The wind whipped the tall grass against Trizkel's legs as he looked down at the settlement. Men were sweating in the fields with their horses and oxen, making the best use they could of Vaasa's short growing season. His keen eyes could easily distinguish facial features at this distance. Sylvetria was nowhere to be seen.

One of the adolescents leading a plow reached up and pointed at him, crying out. Heads turned and hands went to weapons. Trizkel ignored them. A hawk was circling several miles to the south. He turned and stepped away, bending space and appearing on rolling plane. The hawk was still far away, but he could see its mistress on her horse.

He stepped through space again, appearing a dozen feet away from her. The horse startled, but Sylvetria kept her seat and a moment latter the stead was calmed. "Trizkel," she whispered.

He stepped through the thigh-high summer grass towards her. "I have answers," he said.

"To what?"

"Everything. Forget our pasts for a moment. They bind us only as much as we let ourselves be bound. Everything we care about, every problem, has a solution." He stopped before her. "Everything can be overcome, if you say 'yes'. If you want it."

"Triz . . . ." she said, "do you really understand what stands before us?"

"Yes. You family obligations? We can fulfil those or find the right brother or cousin or whatever. I can cross the surface of Faerun in the blink of an eye, slay a dragon, and have more wealth than anyone in Vaasa with the possible exception of its king. We can be lords of these lands and protect your people or we can find someone who will do the job well if you want to be free of it.

"Time? Time does not have to be our enemy. Many human mages manage to hold an elf's span of years and they are not the equal of the one we can call upon. One way or another, we will have the time."

"Children? Elves and men can interbreed and we both can live to see them grow. The approval of others? We who have stood against the Witch-King reborn. We don't need it. The answers are within our grasp. We just have to take them. Will you take them with me."

Tears ran down her cheeks. "Yes," she said softly. Trizkel held out his hand. She took it and then he picked her up out of the saddle and into his embrace as he floated three feet above the ground. She kissed him passionately. "Yes," she said again when she broke for air.

"Good," he said.

"You know, a ring is traditional at a time like this."

"A widespread human custom or so I've heard." A gleaming hoop floated up from his belt. It was a ring of braided strands of gold and mithril. "Strong and beautiful, just like you."

"Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome. I understand there is a bit where one asks the bride's parents for permission, but I skipped that."

"Good," she said. "It might have been bad if they had said 'no'."

"Please," he said, "I wouldn't have killed them, just ignored them."

"Still good thing," she said. "It would be best to put this to them as something that has happened, not something they can stop."

"I will defer to you in this," he said.

"Good," she said. "Now I've got to get Wind here back to the stables and Faesen to the mews so that we can celebrate properly. In private. For a long time." He eyes widened. "Gods, I've got to plan the wedding."

"Don't worry about the last," said Trizkel. "Leave the details to Nalifan. He'll make sure it will be an extravegent success."

"Hmm."

"What else are brother's for?"

"I wonder how he'll take this?"

"Knowing him, he'll have already seen it coming and have the bones of a plan already assembled."

"Are you sure about that?"

"We'll find out soon enough," Trizkel replied.

"Not that soon," she said back with a smile. "We'll be 'busy' for a while. A long while."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan dropped another book into the portable hole. The mage's personal quarters were illuminated by a glow globe with a floor covered by rugs and walls lined by tapestries. A potted plant sat in one corner, near the bookshelf he was plundering.

He had reclaimed all that he had lost and was once again wearing his enchanted vestments and arsenal of talismans. It was a pleasing sensation, like returning to your manse after a long journey and being greated at the door by your retainers with a glass of cool wine and a bath already drawn. Victory was sweet, although the plunder had been somewhat disappointing.

The ruin had been long since cleared of anything of value, with the exception of the great room and the sun elf's possessions. She had been a formidable magician, backed by the ancient and might tradition of elven high mages that had trained her in lore that he had painstakingly acquired for himself piece by piece. Such power and all but lost to the drow. Only a few possessed the remnants of the once great Ilythiiri mastery of high magic.

He ran his thumb over a brooch, feeling the raised pattern. The insignia was not unknown to him. "So Imizael, you saved my life only to have me end your sister's." He put the brooch down on the desk and picked up the black sapphire sitting next to it. It was the soul trap in which he had once placed Karesh of the Ten Thousand Blades. Now it was empty.

"Did you wonder who it was before you unleashed him back onto the planes?" he said softly. "Did you enquire at all?" Not that it really mattered. Karesh had been dead for sometime. If anyone was inclined to resurrect him they would have already tried and failed. Even if they tried again it was of no great import. His employer was dead and gone, the artifacts that helped make him so formidable were lost, and even at the height of his power Karesh had fallen to The End of All Flesh. Another confrontation with him would only have one result.

With the pleasant image of Karesh falling at Trizkel's feet, riddled by arrows, dancing in his mind Nalifan left Talindra's chamber. There was no more reason to linger. While the great chamber demanded study, he had seen all of it and carried those memories with him. He could use the same techniques he had to rediscover his lost past to study the workings of high magic that covered the great chamber. A beneficial, if not entirely anticipated, side effect.

He left the buried hall and a spoke a spell of aportation. Reappearing in his own quarters, Nalifan tossed Talindra's soul prison up in the air and caught it. There was no reason not to follow his personal rules of thumb regarding the elf mage. He left his quarters and headed toward the kitchens. He had a lot of spells to prepare for the coming conflaguration.

"My lord," said Laerasis as she looked up from giving instructions to the cook on duty, "We didn't expect you back so soon."

"It went quite well." He held up his arm and revealed Weave Binder. "Very well indeed."

"I am pleased. We all are."

"Good. Who has returned and set you to work?"

"Trizkel," she replied. "He and Sylvetria returned in your absence. They decided to entertain themselves when I said that you would probably return shortly. "

"Ahh. Entertaining each other."

"Yes lord," she answered with a smile. "I took the liberty of mentioning that you were involved in a serious matter, but were expected back within a day or so."

"And so they had to do something to kill the time," he replied. "of course, they are going to need to eat sometime."

"That is my understanding lord."

"Let them know I have returned when they break for a meal. And get me some appetizers and some wine. Something light."

She bowed. "Your will." Nalifan went back to his books. Everything was coming together nicely. For a moment he wondered how Kaeryn and the rest were doing before returning to his preperations. Hopefully they were selling their lives at a high cost. It would ease his plans considerably if the Banites and rakshasas were bled before he arrived.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Hehe the pawns are moving :twisted: ... With Trizkel back it'll be easier. I wonder if Nalifan will care to mention Gaheris' bullying and disrespect towards him...

How about Mikos and Kuuni ? They're left out of the story ? Somehow the though of the Great Imperceptor raising his mace above Nalifan's head, only to cry in pain as a sentient blade of entropy slices through his enchanted armour and legs, followed by a high-pitched :"Not so fast, boy" cheers me up :lol:
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

You have to earn respect to get it. Power in itself doesn't earn respect. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Rogue 9 wrote:You have to earn respect to get it. Power in itself doesn't earn respect. :P
Actually, high-level spells reinforced by powerful artifacts, and a set of epic enchanted blades wielded by an epic psychic warrior might earn just a bit of respectful attitude :P Which Gaheris lacked altogether :wink: ...
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Trizkel is all about respect, he gives it to those who he thinks deserves it.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Umbras wrote:Trizkel is all about respect, he gives it to those who he thinks deserves it.
Hopefully Kaeryn didn't lose his respect by folowing her duty instead of her heart in this case ;)

Now... wedding gift.. wedding gift... What do you get two strong warriors?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Kaeryn stuck it out when we were up against Karesh and his employer and showed mettle in the face of battle, it takes total ineptitude or something drastic for Trizkel to change his mind.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Umbras wrote:Kaeryn stuck it out when we were up against Karesh and his employer and showed mettle in the face of battle, it takes total ineptitude or something drastic for Trizkel to change his mind.
That's good for Kaeryn. Shame about Gaheris and Astinius' luck tho. ;)

Any suggestions for a wedding gift? Anyone?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

LadyTevar wrote:Any suggestions for a wedding gift? Anyone?
Whatever would increase Sylvetria's lifespan by a few hundred years would be fine :P

But considering Impy's statement that this story would contain lots of suffering, I don't think it is worth to brainstorm over a wedding gift :( ...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Nomad wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Any suggestions for a wedding gift? Anyone?
Whatever would increase Sylvetria's lifespan by a few hundred years would be fine :P

But considering Impy's statement that this story would contain lots of suffering, I don't think it is worth to brainstorm over a wedding gift :( ...
Shush you!!
Happythougths happy thoughts.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Nomad wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:You have to earn respect to get it. Power in itself doesn't earn respect. :P
Actually, high-level spells reinforced by powerful artifacts, and a set of epic enchanted blades wielded by an epic psychic warrior might earn just a bit of respectful attitude :P Which Gaheris lacked altogether :wink: ...
If you mistake fear for respect.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:
The Nomad wrote:
If you mistake fear for respect.
Oh no, he knows exactly what Fear looks like. Respect looks much different. Drow quickly learn the difference between the two, or they don't survive.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

In a vast, shrouded room light danced along the surface of water held within a golden bowl. The acolyte stationed by the bowl cried out. "They have taken the bait!"

Heads turned towards the bowl. Banite priests and warriors seized weapons and muttered spells. Two rakshasas rose up, one black furred and beweaponed, the other a dark orange and massive, their brilliant silks contrasting vividly with the grim armour of the nearby Banites.

Razhal Ironfist crossed the room. "Ready the circle," he barked. The acolyte melted away from the brutal half-orc's path as the imperceptor approached the scrying bowl. Beneath his visor the half orc's face broke into a grin as he peered into the water. "Gaheris. How nice of you to bring friends." He turned to the acolyte. "Where is the drow?"

"Lord, I saw no dr-row," replied the stuttering priest.

Razhal growled. "Counter ambush then. Karel, make sure the High Imperceptor is informed." He looked again at the image, of Gaheris and Morfindel hauling one of his men, Seglin by the look of it, into an alley.

"Let's go," he snapped. "Gaheris isn't going to sacrifice himself. Take them all down. I will be well pleased with their deaths and even more with live capture."

The dozen Banites fell into line behind him. The two rakshasa were already at the teleport circle. The dark one had a great mace clutched in both hands. "Lets paint the streets in blood," he said. The inlaid circled shone with silver-blue light and they were gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Morfindel slammed the Banite's head against the alley wall. The warrior-priest stumbled but didn't fall. The elf struck him expertly with pommel of his dagger and the Banite fell to his knees. Gaheris jerked hard on the cord around the Banite's hands. "This is going to be a lot more pleasant if you cooperate. Either way, we're getting what we need."

The Banite attempted to stomp the paladin's instep. A slower man would have been hit. Gaheris grabbed the Banite's helm and smashed him hard against the alley wall. Twice. "Hurry up and get that spell off," he said to Imizael.

Astinius was watching the alley mouth. A lot of citizens were keeping an eye out while maintaining their distance. That was fine with him. That kept them out of trouble and showed them that the Banites' days were numbered.

Imizael stood three yards from the Banite and began a low chant. The groggy priest tried to lunge at her, but Gaheris yanked on the chord and tripped him. The priest fell flat on his back and tried to struggle up. Imizael finished her spell. He fell limp to the slimy cobbles of the alley.

Imizael's eyes lost focus. Gaheris checked from side to side impatiently. The longer they were at this, the more could go wrong. Lights danced in the corner of his eyes. He turned his head in time to see Ironfist and his warparty materialize in the street. "Company!" he shouted.

Morfindel gasped and fell, a crossbow bolt having punched through his spine and out his chest. It had come from the opposite side of the alley. The elf gasped and blood came out of his mouth. The paladin drew Bright Edge and whipped a throwing knife at them.

The blade bounced off of Razhal's armour. It seem Beshaba had taken a real shine to Gaheris. The priest began to chant a spell and then the air erupted in flames.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Goddammit.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yeah... that about covers it. *sigh*

Gaheris? your plans suck.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't hear you giving any ideas. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!