The "Trusted" Betrayer: A new cliche?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

The "Trusted" Betrayer: A new cliche?

Post by Balrog »

It seems to me that this has become a new cliche of many works of fiction, unless it's been around longer then I've realized it: you have the trusted companion of the hero, whether it's a mentor, sidekick, friend, what-have-you, that about 3/4 of the way through reveals himself as a backstabber or the main antagonist themselves.

Now I remember the first time I came across this idea, it really 'blew my mind' and I thought it was a great twist. The next couple of times, it still surprised the hell out of me and made the story interesting. By the twentifth time I was starting to wonder, can you really trust anyone anymore? :)

Does anyone else think this way, is it a new cliche or have I just been naive to how long treachery has been apart of fiction?
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Ever since stories existed, long before using writing to jot them down with occurred to people, there was the trusted betrayer.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

See Iago from Othello.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

E tu, brutus?

My latin sucks. :P
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Plenty of historical examples, like Benedict Arnold. The archetype goes at least as far back as Judas Iscariot.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Treachery is almost universally common in all genres of story. I wouldn't say it's exactly a cliched idea, either, because it really does happen in real life. I remember my uncle told me about his best friend from high school and most of his adult life for twenty years, who basically stole $2,000 from their combined business and disappeared.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Name 'Lando Calrissian' should ring a few bells...and maybe 'Admiral Cartwright' will too.
JADAFETWA
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Dan Brown fellates this idea. Every single book he has written (as far as I remember) contains the same basic plot in different wrappings.
BloodAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by BloodAngel »

As long as these people have reasons for betraying their friends, besides the same old I wanna be on the winning side, then I don't mind it.
Blood Angel, the Hidden Name of Who You Know.

Zadius: "Done. I get turned on by shit. Nothin' else. 8)"
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Knife wrote:E tu, brutus?

Et tu, Brute, is what you're looking for ;)
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Tessio was one that did it for reasons that weren't personal, just business.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

It's so cliche it's almost novel to do it! What a shock, he actually used that tired plotline?! :o :wink:
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The trusted betrayer is old as plottwists. It's not really a new thing.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Kuja wrote:Name 'Lando Calrissian' should ring a few bells...and maybe 'Admiral Cartwright' will too.
Severus Snape was the first one that jumped to my mind.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Iago wins.

And we're not that sure that Snape killing D wasn't planned, or at least a contigency...
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Pezzoni wrote:Dan Brown fellates this idea. Every single book he has written (as far as I remember) contains the same basic plot in different wrappings.
James Michener and Michael Crichton had huge careers writing the same book over and over.
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:
Knife wrote:E tu, brutus?

Et tu, Brute, is what you're looking for ;)
Caesar: Et tu, Brute?

Brutus: No man, I ain't et nuttin' and boy am I hungry!

What did Caesar actually say when Brutus stabbed him?

Ouch!