Do Catgirls need tails?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

BloodAngel
Padawan Learner

Do Catgirls need tails?

Post by BloodAngel »

Hence the title, I'm writing up on a race evolved from cat-like animals (please don't ask where I got this idea from ;) ), and was thinking about the tail; once a species evolves to bipedalism, does the tail suddenly become vestigial? Or could the tail have some other evolutionary use attached to it?
Blood Angel, the Hidden Name of Who You Know.

Zadius: "Done. I get turned on by shit. Nothin' else. 8)"
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Re: Do Catgirls need tails?

Post by Ariphaos »

BloodAngel wrote:Hence the title, I'm writing up on a race evolved from cat-like animals (please don't ask where I got this idea from ;) ), and was thinking about the tail; once a species evolves to bipedalism, does the tail suddenly become vestigial? Or could the tail have some other evolutionary use attached to it?
Kilrathi? Starter episode of this season of Dr. Who? Japanese Nekojin? :-p

Primates lost tails before we became bipedal. Primates lost tails because they were more vestigal in the case of no longer being required to maintain balance or movement, and may have even been a bit of a liability (when grabbed, etc).
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

If the tail becomes somewhat prehensile or otherwise useful, or just isn't a liability, it would tend to be retained.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Sorry, what was the question again...?
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Your catgirls don't need tails any more than my raptor boys need tails. It's perfectly plausible though. Like Xeriar said, the only reason we don't have tails is because we evolved from animals that had already lost them. It has nothing to do with bipedalism- actually, scratch that. Tails facilitate bipedalism if the animal isn't fully erect.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

There's also sexual selection, through which you can get some pretty crazy stuff.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

A common mistake I see is that catgirls often have only one pair of breasts. In reality they should have six, or at least six nipples :wink:

Hmmm, six breasts :twisted:
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

No, this will not help your attempt to get some tail.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Dooey Jo wrote:There's also sexual selection, through which you can get some pretty crazy stuff.
Isn't that the reason women have boobs? I remember reading once that babies can't latch onto human teats as well as they otherwise would because of boobs (not sure where I read it, so it could be wrong).

And boobs are pretty crazy things. Or make crazy things happen, or something.

ROAR!!!!! says GOJIRA!!!!!
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Kangaroo is bipedal and it needs a tail to balance its body.

nuff said.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I'm pretty sure he's referring to erect bipedalism.

*snickers* Erect...catgirls *snickers*
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

NoXion wrote:A common mistake I see is that catgirls often have only one pair of breasts. In reality they should have six, or at least six nipples :wink:

Sexual joking aside it is strictly true. Most primates have two nipples because they bare few young. Some however have upwards of 8 because of large litters.

A Race evolving from Felines would most likely have six, but move on toward two as the Race needed few childern to survive. (I think it was shown primates used to have more offspring, but this was reduced once they started putting more effort into rasing young)

An 'Evoloved' Felinoid as it where would most likely have a single pair of developed Breasts and perhaps one smaller, less developed pair of breasts and vestigial nipples. Males I would imagine would just have six vestigial nipples...

Hrmmm, this is getting fun to think about... What was the OP again?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
BloodAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by BloodAngel »

I'm going to go along with two breasts (though six does sound like an interesting write...), since this species has a slow reproductive cycle already.

...And I opened this post up with the breasts. Great job guys. :P

So, I began to think of the weight of tails. If the catperson had a tail, would they really be allowed to be fully erect since the tail would make them somewhat lean over? Or would the tail's weight be comparatively inconsequential?

I was also considering making the tail a communication medium, as real cats also do.
Blood Angel, the Hidden Name of Who You Know.

Zadius: "Done. I get turned on by shit. Nothin' else. 8)"
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

BloodAngel wrote:I'm going to go along with two breasts (though six does sound like an interesting write...), since this species has a slow reproductive cycle already.

...And I opened this post up with the breasts. Great job guys. :P

So, I began to think of the weight of tails. If the catperson had a tail, would they really be allowed to be fully erect since the tail would make them somewhat lean over? Or would the tail's weight be comparatively inconsequential?

I was also considering making the tail a communication medium, as real cats also do.
If the tail is catlike it would probably not weigh much at all. Judging from my cat here, she weighs about 7 pounds and the tail has no more than 1/6th a pound of that if I'm judging this right. The weight certainly wouldn't be more than two breasts, and women get around quite fine carrying a greater weight on the other end.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

A cat's tail DOES, however, weigh enough to affect balancing, which is the reason for it's existence in the first place. Cheetahs can be seen swinging their tails wildly in a 360 degree motion to achieve balance on turns. I think a similar thing occurs when a housecat pounces.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Patrick Degan wrote:<snip>
You know, that was something I actually pondered at one point... do catgirls go into estrus? :?

Anyway, keeping the tail around for body language is enough of a justification for me. What cats lack in facial expression they more than make up for with their ears and tails (and whiskers, to a lesser extent). The idea of a ticked off catgirl angirly smacking the side of a chair or something with her tail like an annoyed cat smacks the ground with their tail amuses me to no end... almost as much as the idea of a catgirl in heat. :lol:
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

NoXion wrote:A common mistake I see is that catgirls often have only one pair of breasts. In reality they should have six, or at least six nipples :wink:

Cats have EIGHT nipples, not six. :P

Speaking of numbers, another thing you might want to consider (depending on how similar you want the ancestors of your cat-race to be to the cats we know and love today) is that cats' front paws have five digits, while their back paws have four... so maybe you could could give them five fingers on each hand, but four toes on each foot.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Lusankya wrote:Isn't that the reason women have boobs? I remember reading once that babies can't latch onto human teats as well as they otherwise would because of boobs (not sure where I read it, so it could be wrong).
Well, that might be true. I don't know what other reasons there might be to have big boobs. I've heard that they tend to get in the way a lot. Especially when running...

Darwin proposed that the reason humans don't have a lot of hair like almost all other mammals was sexual selection. Others have hypothesised that humour and blonde hair and all sorts of stuff might also be...
And boobs are pretty crazy things. Or make crazy things happen, or something.
Indeed. They are mysterious.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

If you want the tails to have some use, by all means include them.

They could be prehensile, or add a dimension to their communications (how many animals can you think of with lots of mass dedicated to nothing but secondary or tetiary sexual characteristics?)... They'd have to be pretty big to contribute much to balance I think, but it could keep them from becoming vestigal.

Also, lots of boobs>two boobs. :wink:
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Sriad wrote:Also, lots of boobs>two boobs. :wink:
Agreeed, but to play the devil's advocate, what's the point if you only have two hands with which to play with them? ;)
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Executor32 wrote:
Agreeed, but to play the devil's advocate, what's the point if you only have two hands with which to play with them? ;)
Considering the average cat has a spine flexible enough to lick their own belly, who needs hands? Hell... male cats are flexible enough to lick their own penis!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I think the more important question is, "Do I want catgirls to have tails?"

If yes, do it. If no, don't. That's the wonder of the imagination. *Reading Raiiiin-bow! music* As long as they're your creation, you can pretty much staple on any use you want :). Even decoration is a perfectly acceptable reason for an animal to have a certain feature. Just look at peacock tails!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

LadyTevar wrote: Considering the average cat has a spine flexible enough to lick their own belly, who needs hands? Hell... male cats are flexible enough to lick their own penis!
When my cat does that, she looks like a miniature Buddha covered in fur.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

LadyTevar wrote:Hell... male cats are flexible enough to lick their own penis!
The male of his species no longer need to use their hands, I see. Hell, if they're that flexible, there's no use for an opposable thumb on the paws now. :wink:
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Executor32 wrote:
Prehensile tails, sir!