Unity III: Against All Odds, Redux (Complete)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

What, 249 chapters isn't that long to wait, is it? :)

Assuming she even dies. :D
Chuck

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Sonnenburg wrote:What, 249 chapters isn't that long to wait, is it? :)

Assuming she even dies. :D
That would be inhumanly cruel...
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thank you!
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XXXVIII

Annika had woken up in bed this morning alone; Luke was off preparing hidden fallback bases should the Republic fall. Since that time she'd learned she was pregnant, had witnessed the fall of the Federation, been led through a confusing rollercoaster that showed all her pain was caused by her mentor, Ben Sisko, been told she needed to save the galaxy, and then got a visit from Q. Some days are definitely more eventful than others.

This bit of news also added to the confusion: humanity was still on trial by the Q, even though Annika had thought it over after the destruction of the Death Star. "Why?" she demanded of Q. "We passed your test."

"Exactly," Q said. "You passed the test, not the trial. Didn't Jean-luc ever tell you why humanity is on trial?"

"Yes," she said. "To test the worthiness of humanity, because-"

"Because in time," Q interrupted, "Unity will be fully realized by a human. That all the galaxy will be united under the rule of one of your species. It is perhaps the greatest responsibility anyone could possibly imagine, and the Q will not allow anyone that does not measure up to take it."

"Humans," Ben explained, "have been at the center of every major galactic event for years, Annika. It's all part of the trial; it's all part of how we prove that he is worthy of taking up the mantle. To face down the Empire, a human must help once again."

"Who is this person?" Annika demanded. "And if it's so damn important, then why doesn't he do it?"

"Well he can't," Q said. "Not yet anyway."

"Who is he?" Annika repeated, emphasizing each word.

"Isn't it obvious?" Q asked. "Why he's here now, in this very room."

Annika turned back to Ben. "So it's you? All this is to prove your worthiness?"

Q almost fell off his chair laughing. "No! He's not human any more! Oh, Benjy, you have no chance if this is who you think can face the nemesis." He turned back to Annika. "I gave you all the pieces, I even gave you a hint, and you still don't get it, do you. How pathetic," he said with a laugh.

The hint, Annika thought. What was it again? That saving Data was only one of the tests she passed... but what was the other? What else did she do that had any impact at all? Well, the Death Star wouldn't have been destroyed if- No, it was a decision she made, a decision on human convictions... a decision that only a human person could make.

She knew what it was. The moment was as clear as day, a moment that defined what the rest of her life would be. Standing there literally at an intersection with a choice to make... even then she'd felt things for him, and that had made it so hard to decide. But in her heart of hearts, the human part of her wanted a chance to carry through on what she secretly wanted, even though she believed it could never truly be, not with someone as far beyond her as he was. It wasn't logical, but logic was irrelevant... she would help him, because maybe it could happen. Maybe he would want to be hers. And to her astonishment, he did.

Was it going to be Luke? No, he wasn't here. No human was here, except her, and Q repeatedly said "he," so obviously it couldn't be her-

It was the murder mystery all over again. The evidence points to her, but it wasn't really her. "My God," she said quietly, and put her hand on her belly. "My God," she said again, the realization having time to fully spread throughout her brain, given how huge this all was. She saved Luke... fell in love with him... made love to him... and now, against all odds, she'd made life with him, as she always dreamed she would. "Sebastian," she said, looking at Ben. "He's the one you're talking about."

Ben said nothing, he just nodded grimly. "About time," Q commented.

Annika stood there, still stunned. "My son will rule the galaxy?" she said in disbelief.

"'May,'" Q said. "Humanity must pass its trial, and I'm afraid it won't end for some time. There are so many things that can go wrong, so many ways you humans can fall flat on your primate faces."

"How could he not succeed?" Annika asked. "He'll have Luke's incredible Jedi skills and all my Borg abilities."

Q found that amusing. "Oh, you've hardly been pregnant at all and already you've set impossible standards for your child to measure up to. Come, Seven, you met Sebastian, and you saw the truth. He's a watered down version of both of you, nothing more. He'll never reach Luke's potential as a Jedi, and he showed only too well how poorly he grasped your abilities. Your maternal pride is misplaced, my little Borg incubator; he's no champion."

Four years ago, when Q showed up in her science lab, words like that would have goaded her, but she'd changed a lot in those years. Instead, she just smirked at him. "I'll just have to settle for being the mother of a galactic ruler. I don't know how I'll live with the disappointment."

Q smirked right back but Ben pointed violently at him. "No! She knows too much already! No more words, Q."

"Or what? You'll sic your Prophets on me?"

"The rest of the Continuum wouldn't like it if you provoked a confrontation, nor if you unfairly intervened."

“Oh come on, Benjy. She should know that the price of Unity is-“

The universe hiccupped.

Annika looked around; Q was gone. “I’m sorry for that,” Ben said.

“What happened?” she demanded.

Ben hesitated. “You asked to forget what happened,” he said finally. “It was the right decision, Annika. Humans are linear creatures-“

“Quit talking about me like that,” Annika said irritably. “You sound as arrogant as Q does.”

Ben shook his head. “You don’t know how much I envy you. I remember when I was still human. Annika, let me ask you something: as terrible as it was, weren’t you better off not knowing the certainty of Luke’s return? Wasn’t it the uncertainty that motivated you to do what ultimately brought him back to you? And wasn’t it what allowed you to live with Han and Leia and get to know them, to become such good friends with Chewie before he had to die? Some things we shouldn’t know until the time is right, Annika. Sometimes knowing the answer takes all the joy out of searching for it.” He took her hands. “You will have a son, a son with a great destiny before him, and the man he becomes will be guided by you and Luke. Isn’t knowing that enough, Annika? You’ve beaten the Borg in the best possible way, by getting back the last piece of your stolen humanity.” Those deep brown eyes looked into hers. “Some miracles are so fragile, Annika, it’s best not to scrutinize them.”

Annika dropped down into her chair. All of this was overwhelming, and now she was being asked to go up against a dark Jedi. She held up her left hand in front of her and looked at the metal that encased most of it. Seven years ago she’d been a mindless drone, with no individual impact on anything; now she was being told that she was going to decide the fate of the galaxy. “Can’t someone else do it?” she pleaded.

“There’s no one else left, Annika, no one to stand in the way of the Emperor and the nemesis but you and me; and I can’t do it alone. But if you join me, if you help me fight one last battle I promise you, there’ll be a happy ending.”

There was a hologram of her and Luke on her desk. She'd replicated a wedding dress for the night they were married, and he had worn his Jedi robes. She kept it here to remind herself why she pushed herself to do a job she never wanted in the first place. Well, now someone had another job for her, and it didn’t sound much better.

How did I find you? she asked the hologram of Luke. Of the trillions who are out there how is it that I found the one person who makes me feel complete, who can take away the loneliness? I lost you once, but somehow you found your way back. Is it true? Is it fate? If I leave you, will I ever find you again? Her hand passed through the shape as she traced her finger along it. I was wrong, she thought. There is something that scares me more than that moment when the Borg took me away... it’s the fear of losing you a second time.

But there was no escaping this. The Jedi were the enemies of the Empire; sooner or later Luke and Sebastian would both be targets. Somebody had to do something, somebody had to be willing to put their life on the line to stop the darkness.

“For Luke, for Sebastian,” Annika said, “my life is a very small price to pay.”
--------------------------------------------------------------

“My dearest Luke,

“I’m sorry to say goodbye like this, but I know that if I wait you’ll stop me, or I’ll stop me, and I can’t let that happen. We live in desperate times, and if we’re to have any hope for you, me, and our son, then someone has to step forward and stop what’s happening. How I wish it was someone else, but it seems that fate won’t accept anyone but me. Believe me, the thought of ever leaving you again is a weight on my soul like no other, but if I love you then I have to do this.

“When we fought the Borg together you were forced to make a choice, a choice that hurt you so greatly, a choice for me. It seems that I have to make a choice to save you. Yes, it will save others too, but I’m doing this for you, and only you.

“If things don’t work out and I don’t make it back please don’t feel bad. No matter what happens, please promise me you won’t give in. It’s the Dark side that’s taken me away from you now; never forget that, because if you give in because of me then you only kill me all over again.

“God, this is getting long. Like you say, sometimes I just can’t shut up. But I need you to know Luke, I need you to believe that what I do, I do for you. But I’m afraid I can’t sell my soul to the devil this time, because it belongs to you, and always will.

“Love always and forever,

“Annika Skywalker”

Luke set down the PADD and dropped into the chair in Annika's empty office. “Why?” he said to no one in particular. Why would you go? What is there that you can possibly face that we can’t face together? Why would you have to leave me behind and do this? A thought forced itself through, one he had been trying to avoid. How will I even know you’re... gone?

Deep inside he felt a rumbling. Skywalker was gone, but there will always be darkness in the souls of men, and it spoke up in Luke's weakness. You can do it! it cried to him. Just like against the Borg, you can destroy the arriving Imperial ships! You'll save the day and be her hero again!

Luke got up and stormed out of the office. Lt. Commander Moore was still on hand; he'd informed Luke that Captain Sisko had relieved Annika of command and given her a runabout to carry out a special mission. The decisions for the station were now in his hands. "Commander," Luke said, "there's a hidden Republic base not too far from here. A rebellion will be forming to fight the Empire from shadow; if any of your people want in, I can lead you to it."

No! the darkness rumbled. Don't run! Fight! Annihilate!

"You can trust me, commander," Luke said. "I'm a Jedi... and that's not going to change."

On the former Federation station Deep Space 13, Darth Whind, master of the dark side and commander of the Emperor’s fleet, walked the rows of captured Federation and Bajoran personnel. There was a lot of hostility there, but with the replacement of a few troublemakers and a small garrison the station could continue to run effectively servicing Imperial ships. It was an important central hub for dealing with the assorted outposts and stations across the region. There was one in particular that she had her eye on, but fleet matters took precedent over personal ones.

Whind slowed to a stop as she looked at a rather young and slightly round-faced gentleman, standing at attention as all the others were. She stepped over and looked at him curiously, noticing how he became slightly nervous under her gaze. “Lowe?” she asked.

He seemed slightly surprised. “Yes, sir. Lieutenant, senior grade, Kenneth Lowe. Security.”

She shook her head. “Even here,” she said in disbelief. “And Federation no less.” Lowe was obviously confused but said nothing to possibly provoke her, and she finally continued her examination of the line.

“Despite the change in command of this station,” Darth Whind said to the assembled group, “your lives will remain largely unaffected. You will report for your duties as you did before, you will obey all instructions as you did before, and you will do the best you are capable of, as you did before. In time you will see the benefits of an Imperial way of life, but until that time, you might entertain rebellious thoughts.” She looked at the assembled personnel. “Any act of rebellion will be met with swift justice. If you perform an act of sabotage, you and your families will be made to pay for it. If you manage to elude our investigations, we will choose people at random to pay for it. We will not tolerate dissent of any kind; that is the way of the New Order.”

Lando and Quark watched from the entryway to their bar, the hologram shaking his head. “There goes the neighborhood,” he said with a sigh, and went back behind the bar. Lando remained, watching the woman with his poker face firmly in place, but beneath a bubbling hatred. “I came here to get away from people like you,” he said quietly.

An aide rushed up as Darth Whind left the assembled personnel. "My lady, a report from our forces at Sanctuary. The Federation station appears to be abandoned. According to the log, the commander left long before our arrival, destination unknown."

Whind growled at the news. Sisko, it had to be. "I want every ship in the Empire looking for her," she said.

"Shoot on sight, my lady?"

"No," Whind said darkly. "I want her alive... so I can hear her screams of apology for what she's stolen from me."

The Millennium Falcon twisted and looped through space as the Imperials gave chase. It was only a single Interdictor with two squadrons of TIEs, but against the lone freighter it was more than enough to overwhelm and capture the notorious ship. Leia used all her Jedi instincts to avoid being hit, but she lacked the piloting experience of Han and Luke and knew that she was only delaying the inevitable. With the gravity well projectors firmly fixed on them she knew that escape, their only possible hope, wasn’t an option.

It had been foolish. Iblis had been right that a diplomatic mission to the Romulans would fail, and he'd proven right. They'd distrusted her, and she couldn't fault them for that. With the Iblis stabbing them in the back, the tie they'd had to the normally closed society was now probably forever lost.

And now she was stuck out here in the Falcon, because she had to still try even if Iblis refused to give her a ship. All she'd done was take away the means Han and the children could have had to escape Earth.

Artoo plugged into the scomp link and redirected the deflector shields to prevent the fighters from damaging them, but with Leia’s wild turning it was difficult anticipating where the next shot might come from. He warbled but Leia urged him to be quiet, knowing she needed every bit of concentration to find a way out of this. But then her Force senses told her something, and a flash of concern passed her face, only to be replaced by a small smile. “Victoria,” she said shaking her head a little, “I should have known.”

Artoo didn’t understand what she was talking about but it became all too clear when a black area of space suddenly was filled with twelve hundred meters of starship. The massive interdictor suddenly looked much less threatening as the Protector altered course towards the Imperial ship. The shot from its phaser cannon passed through the underside of the ship and blasted straight through the surface, causing minor explosions along the entire length of the ship. Another sweep and it was all over, the vessel’s reactor overloading and vaporizing the entire ship.

“Yes,” Leia said to Artoo as she watched the fighters scatter, “it’s Federation.” Her grin nearly split her face. “I guess they’re not as pacified as the Imperials have been saying.”

“Falcon,” said the familiar voice of Victoria Price, “this is the Federation Starship Protector. Admiral Jellico is wondering if you are in need of any assistance?”

Leia watched the TIEs streak off into space. “Not any more, thank you. They’re probably sending out a signal for the nearest star destroyers to come here for pick up, so we should probably get out of here. Sanctuary is only fifty-three lightyears from here.”

There was quiet for a time. “I’m sorry to be the one to say this,” Price said, “but Sanctuary fell to Imperial forces this morning.” Leia felt her heart collapse at the news. What happened to Han and the twins then? She couldn’t believe it, their last hope was gone. “Perhaps you should come aboard,” Price said after a short while. “We can help each other get caught up on current events.”

Leia’s hands shook slightly as she hit the comm. “Agreed,” she said as she brought the ship about and into the largest hangar on board the Protector. A quick engagement of their cloak and they launched into hyperspace.

On board the Inferno-class Star Destroyer Judgment, General Delric Taar continued reading the progress reports being sent back by the front line Imperial forces. Over 99% of the clones had been wiped out by the disease and crewing the ships was proving far more taxing than previously anticipated; the result of trying to meddle with the military instead of letting it run itself smoothly.

Apparently the mission was nearly a success. A few renegade Klingon, Federation, and Republic systems were causing minor skirmishes, and there was still the odd independent system that refused to accept Imperial control, but it seemed that they’d managed to overwhelm the remains of any major resistance to the Empire. Casualties seemed slightly higher than projected; some nine billion dead in the Alpha Quadrant according to ISB projections.

Taar turned and looked at the stars through the window. If you’d gone, he wondered, would there have been less or more? Would you have been less brutal, and if you were, would that give your enemies the time to entrench themselves, causing even more death on both sides?

“General,” the comm interrupted his thoughts, “Commander Weelint wishes to see you. He has a prisoner.”

“Send him in,” Taar said, putting the datapad aside as the door opened and the two entered. He leaned forward slowly in shock as Weelint began speaking.

“Her ship was flying through this area without proper markings,” Weelint said. “A routine scan caused a priority flag to emerge.”

“You did the right thing,” Taar said, coming around this desk, his eyes never leaving the prisoner. “You may leave her.” Weelint nodded and walked out. “What’s your name?” he asked.

“Annika Hansen Skywalker,” she said finally, not really looking at him.

“I knew it,” he said with a small smile. “It's been a long time Seven of Nine, a very long time."

She turned and glared at him. "My name is Annika Hansen Skywalker," she said firmly.

Taar nodded, his smile growing. "Good to see you leaving the Borg behind, but then we have you to thank for that, don't we. You know, if it was any other Borg who came through that door I’d have shot them on sight, but you...” he shook his head, pleased at the meeting, “I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that you’re actually here.”

“I’m flattered,” she deadpanned.

“Let’s just check out what the problem is here,” he said, putting his code cylinder in the scomp link, “And we’ll see if we can get you out of those binders and on your way.” He turned back and smiled again. “After some Imperial hospitality of course.”

“Oh, of course.”

He turned back and looked at the screen and his face fell. He tapped the screen, absolutely speechless. “Problem?” she asked.

“It appears,” he said finally, “we have a snag.”

“Yes,” she said. “Darth Whind wants me dead.” Taar looked at her. “I’m guessing these binders aren’t coming off, are they.”
Chuck

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I do so enjoy the changes, but also it is nice to sre-read this.

Things like her pride over Sebastion are fantastic, especially in light of what the truth is.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

All these scenes seem even more enjoyable this time around. The Sisko/Anika/Q seen was great.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:I do so enjoy the changes, but also it is nice to sre-read this.

Things like her pride over Sebastion are fantastic, especially in light of what the truth is.
Thanks. It seemed like Annika of all people had most earned the right to know the destiny of her only child, considering all she had to go through throughout this trilogy. It was always intended to be her "reward" for all she had done to not only break the Borg curse and give her a child, but one who would rise to such heights.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:All these scenes seem even more enjoyable this time around. The Sisko/Anika/Q seen was great.
Thanks. I do so love writing Q, he is such an outlet for me. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Penultimate chapter; final chapter will be posted tonight

Part XXXIX

“We were engaging with Klingon Forces,” Admiral Jellico said to Leia in the ready room on board the Protector. “We were overrun and facing destruction by the Imperials. I decided, in an act of desperation, to eject the core and engage our cloak simultaneously in the hopes of giving the impression that we’d been destroyed.” He wrung his hands as he spoke. “It was a long shot, but I knew we had to try something, and apparently it worked.”

“Not quite,” Leia said. “The Imperial instructed to scan to confirm your destruction lost his mind and attacked the command ship. In the chaos that followed, no one was particularly interested in you.”

Jellico’s eyes widened. “Are you serious?” Leia nodded. “It worked,” he whispered.

“What worked?” Price asked nearby, growing a little suspicious of the admiral.

He drummed his fingers on the desk. “Probably doesn’t matter now,” he said, more to himself then them. “It’s not as if there’s a Federation left to protect.” He breathed deeply. “Section 31 is responsible.”

Price turned around. “I knew it. Those lying...”

“What’s Section 31?” Leia asked.

“Starfleet counterintelligence,” Jellico said.

“Troublemakers,” Price said as she looked out the window at the white strands of hyperspace. “I always thought they were a myth. Romulan propaganda. I should have known better.”

“They’re the reason we’re still alive,” Jellico said to her reproachfully. “They used this ship to infiltrate Imperial space and beamed some disease on board one of their ships to disable their war effort.”

“Germ warfare,” Price said with disgust.

“It only affected the cloned soldiers on board their ships,” Jellico replied. “It’s not as if they were hurting innocent civilians.”

“And that makes it all right?”

“Now listen,” Jellico said getting up, his face twisted into a scowl, “We are at war and in war we need to do whatever is necessary to ensure our own survival, and if that means getting our hands dirty then so be it!”

“Were,” Price said.

Jellico paused. “What do you mean?”

“Were at war. You said so yourself; the Federation is gone.” She looked back out the window. “You had your little war, just like you wanted, and you lost.”

“None of us wanted this,” he replied with anger.

“Well like it or not, this is what you got. You chose to involve yourself in Imperial affairs from the beginning without taking an interest in what they were about, and now we’re just like every other group that has come to their attention; just a footnote in their history.”

“How were we supposed to know-“

“It’s your job to know! You wanted to turn this into a game, well this is what happens! If we’d gone back to what Starfleet was about, exploring the galaxy instead of trying to build an army, we’d never have gotten involved with the Empire and that’d be the end of it.”

“You can’t say that that would have happened.”

“It’s plain to see that it happened through your decisions,” Price said. “Trying to turn explorers and scientists into soldiers; it’s a damn lunatic affair.”

“Please,” Leia interrupted, “this isn’t getting us anywhere. However we got here, the point is that we’re here, and we’ve got to decide what to do next.” She thought about it a little. “We should get in touch with any leaders of the Republic who escaped Sanctuary. They might be able to provide us with more information.”

“There aren’t any leaders on Sanctuary,” Jellico said.

“Well obviously they must have gone somewhere else,” Leia said.

“Who?”

“Iblis and the others. When they left Earth.”

Price looked over to Jellico and then back to Leia. “Iblis didn’t leave Earth, at least, not of his own free will.”

Leia felt an icy hand grab her heart. “What do you mean?”

“All Federation and Republic officials have been taken as prisoners of war,” Price said softly. Leia said nothing, left speechless by the horrible thought of her husband and children in the hands of the Empire.

“They’re being taken to Bastion for trial,” Jellico continued.

Leia looked over to him. “We’ve got to go there and get them before it’s too late.”

“The center of Imperial space?” Jellico said. “We couldn’t stand up to a single fleet, we’re no match for the heart of their territory.”

“We’ve got to try,” Leia insisted.

“Look,” Jellico said with sympathy, “I understand. We don’t want our people dying any more than you do yours. But even if we thought we had a chance, we’re still helpless. Nobody knows where Bastion is.”

“I’m not going to let a little thing like that stop me,” Leia said, rubbing her eyes as she tried to think. “Listen, if I can find Bastion, will you at least consider helping me?”

Jellico hesitated. “Ambassador-“

“You don’t need to fight,” she interrupted. “You’ve got a cloak. Just get me to the planet. I’ll locate the prisoners and you can beam them out; you won’t have to fight anyone.”

“To beam them out, we’ll need to de-cloak,” Price pointed out. “But it’ll only be for a short time.”

“Yes,” Jellico said. He seemed to mull it over. “Let’s do this by the book. If the Federation is under attack, and we have the power to intervene to defend it, it’s our duty to do whatever we can to hamper the enemy. If we rescue these people, we’ll be causing damage to the Imperial reputation and furthering our own cause.”

“Admiral,” Price said, “that’s a pretty thin argument.”

“Maybe, but it’s all I’ve got.” He turned back to Leia. “But this is all academic unless you can find Bastion.”

“Don’t worry,” she said. “I think I’ve got an idea.”

Delric Taar strode past the Emperor’s guard with his usual manner of distaste and into his excellency’s throne room. The Emperor was gazing out the window from his throne across the landscape of Bastion. He seemed distracted. “Yes general, what is it?”

“Your highness, the prisoners have been delivered to Bastion as you wished.”

“Good,” the Emperor said. “I want President Iblis and President Jaresh-Inyo executed for crimes against the Empire.”

“Yes, your excellency,” Taar replied, making a note of it in his datapad. “I’ve put the rest into cells for the moment.” He couldn’t even tell if the Emperor was still listening, but plunged forward anyway. “We do have something of a problem. One of the Republic officials has two small children with him, which will require some special...” he trailed off as the Emperor turned towards him, the gaze drilling into him. “Is there a problem, your majesty?”

“Twins?” the Emperor asked.

Taar was a bit taken aback. “Yes. A boy and a girl, about a year old.”

“Kill them immediately.”

Even Taar found the order something of a shock. “You want me to execute infants?”

“Yes,” the Emperor said with a flash of anger. Taar tapped the order into the datapad, unable to believe this was happening. Certainly he had been responsible, both directly and indirectly, for the deaths of many children during his time in the military, but there was a big difference between casualties of war and executing a helpless child. “General,” the Emperor finally said, “cancel that previous order. I want the children taken from their father and put in a nursery. Perhaps with my guidance they can be molded to make a positive contribution to the Empire.”

“A wise decision, your majesty,” Taar said, relieved at the Emperor’s change of heart... well, change of mind anyway. “Also, we’ve captured a Federation officer, Annika Skywalker. Darth Whind has placed a general order calling for her imprisonment and transfer to her, but she is currently away on the campaign in the Milky Way. Do you wish her executed as well?”

“No,” the Emperor replied. “She is Whind’s problem, and she will be the one to deal with her. She will be returning soon enough. Lock her up in her meditation chamber until her return. How goes the campaign?”

“An impressive success, your highness. 99.2% control of the Milky Way, although there are still some acts of rebellion we will need to quell. It will not be easy to pacify the region. Our forces are strained already here.”

“They will accept my authority in time,” the Emperor said.

“Of course, your excellency. In the meantime, I’ve ordered the construction of new support craft to supplement-“

“Cancel that order.”

Taar was puzzled. “I’m sorry, did you say you want me to stop the construction of more ships?”

“Yes,” the Emperor replied. “I have other plans at the moment. But first, I need you to perform one small task. I have been looking forward to a reunion with an old friend.”

Leia stepped carefully down the ramp of the Millennium Falcon, Jedi senses alert for anything. She could sense the presence of others in the area, and she still wasn’t certain what their intentions were. She walked carefully near the perimeter of the woods, sensing the vaguely familiar presence, trying to put a name to it. “Three?” she called. “Three, is that you?”

There was a rustling and a red-skinned creature with Borg implants came out of the woods. “Ambassador Solo,” he said with his typically even voice. “Are you alone?”

“My friends are in orbit, but I’m alone here, yes.”

He looked at the sky briefly and then back to her. “Come with me,” he said finally, and turned and strode through the underbrush. After a while she saw the hidden entrance to a small Rebel base; as expected, Luke had chosen the one closest to Sanctuary. One of the people milling about outside stopped her scans and came over.

“Leia,” Dr. Crusher said as she embraced her. “We thought you were captured with the others on Earth.”

“No such luck,” Leia said with a painful smile. “How did you get here?”

“A number of us managed to escape on a runabout,” Dr. Crusher said. “Actually we owe it to your brother. It was amazing how he managed to avoid all those starships and escape Sanctuary.”

“I’m glad,” Leia said. She turned and looked in the direction her mind was telling her. “He's inside?” she asked.

“Yes,” Dr. Crusher said. “He doesn’t leave his quarters very often, and when he does he usually walks alone in the woods, but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind seeing you.”

Leia tried to force a smile and moved inside. She was quickly verified and allowed admission into the crew quarters. She hit the chime for Luke's room. “Come in,” he said, a note of exhaustion quite clear. She stepped inside. “Leia,” he said, not quite able to believe it.

“Hi Luke,” she said, still standing. Luke was still sitting on the floor, apparently having just finished his meditation. “Where’s Annika?”

Luke’s already pained face became even more downcast. “I wish I knew.”

The stormtroopers secured the binders to the chair, leaving Annika locked into position in the middle of the room, quite helpless. "Keep a scan on the room, make sure she doesn't try to escape."

"We should just throw her in the brig," one of the junior officers present commented.

"Yes, but the Emperor wants her here, gift-wrapped for the Lady of the Sith, and you know how they love their rituals." He nodded to the troopers and they turned and left.

“I don’t see why she rates so high,” another officer said. “She’s just a Borg; not as if she knows anything important.”

“Just don’t worry about it,” one of his comrades said. “She’s here, now let’s get out. This place is making my skin crawl.”

“Hey, I want to know why she’s so important the high bitch herself wants to see her.” He looked Annika over again. “You want to tell me why?” he asked her. “What did you do to get rated so important?” Annika said nothing in reply, and the officer grabbed her upper arm and yanked it to get her attention. "Answer me!" he ordered. She looked over at his hand and then up at his face, and then back to the hand.

"She hasn't been drugged has she?" another officer asked.

"No she- argh!" He screamed as a spike burst out the back of his hand where he gripped her. A second later there was a wet, popping sound as it withdrew and he stumbled back, gripping his wounded hand. "You stupid bitch!" he said as he drew his other hand back and slapped her hard across the face with it. Unfortunately, just before his hand arrived a metal plate emerged from her skin; it was like slapping a bulkhead. He cursed again and her lips curled into a smile. He pulled back his hand and made a fist, swinging at her mouth with the intent of knocking her teeth in, but it bounced off a force field.

"Give it a rest," the other officer said. "Let's get you down to the infirmary before you start bleeding all over everything. Besides, Darth Whind is taking care of her personally." He turned and leaned down to Annika. "You hear that sweetheart? The Lady of the Sith herself is going to be dealing with you. They're some real sadistic buggers." Annika didn't even look at him.

The men turned and left, leaving Annika alone with a small smile. There was a small crunching sound as implants slowly formed on the wrists of both hands. After a while two assimilation tubules popped out of each and plunged into the binders. Darth Whind herself? she thought. That's absolutely perfect.

In not too dissimilar a situation elsewhere on Bastion, Jean-luc Picard found himself strapped into a chair alone in a large room. It took him a moment to focus; they must have drugged him and put him into the chair. He struggled mostly out of boredom, knowing that even if he was to escape this room he’d have no idea what to do next. Even if you could run, he thought, where could you run to?

A door opened behind him but he was bound so tightly he couldn’t turn to see who it was. He listened to the slow footsteps as they approached, wondering what this was going to be about. It wasn’t as if they could get any information out of him; anything he knew was in the database at Starfleet Command, which was being picked apart by the best slicers in Imperial service. Then he heard the person speak, and his blood froze.

“I’ve waited nearly five years for this day.”

Picard was too shocked to say anything, and he watched in horror as the black robed figure came around his chair, turning to show him his wrinkled and hideous face, a grin that clearly had no idea what humor was showing beneath his cowl. “No,” Picard said, “This isn’t real. This is a hallucination or, or a holodeck recreation or some kind of mind probe! You’re dead!”

The Emperor leaned down towards Picard’s face, his smile fading away. “I was dead, but no more.” The malevolence shone through as he continued, casting aside all pretenses and moving straight to the point. “You and your Federation have been a thorn in my side far too long, Picard; thinking that your toys and technobabble could stand up to the power of the Dark Side.”

Picard closed his eyes. “This is an illusion,” he insisted.

“Your world has always been an illusion,” the Emperor said. “Thinking that you were defeating my Empire when all the while you were merely delaying the inevitable. You lack the vision necessary to see the path of destiny, and you mock what you do not understand.” He sneered at him. “You laughed at my prophecies with the antics of a fool who cannot comprehend what he is insulting. And yet here we stand. I, the unchallenged ruler of your galaxy; you, powerless before me.” He leaned down towards Picard. “I see you’re not laughing now.” Picard said nothing in reply. “Still so small,” the Emperor said as he straightened up. “Your mind cannot come to terms with the fact that the power of the Dark Side dwarfs your pathetic view of the universe. You cannot destroy me Picard; I am immortal, I am unrelenting. Tear down this Empire and I will still rebuild it world by world. You can only delay me, but never deny me.”

Picard finally spoke. “Perhaps. But even you cannot hope to hold this Empire forever. Sooner or later it will come crashing down around you once again.”

“Oh no,” the Emperor said. “No; once again you speak with your tiny perspective of the universe. The Empire will endure; it is our destiny.”

“There is no such thing as destiny,” Picard said firmly.

“I’m afraid that’s simply another example of your limited viewpoint.” He reached into the depths of his robe and pulled out a datapad. “I tire of speaking with you; it is like conversing with an ignorant child. But there’s one thing I want to show you.” He held the datapad before Picard. “It’s an order to my construction yards to halt all production and divert their efforts to a new project.”

Picard scanned the aurek-besh characters, and his eyes widened. “You’re building another Death Star?”

“Yes,” he said as he put the datapad away. “It is time the people learned to fear their master. And they will know that when I test the station upon its completion. No one will wish to risk the same fate as Earth.”

Picard remembered his vision, a Death Star arriving in orbit of his homeworld five years in the future, annihilating it without a trace. Five years..... which means that that time is now.

He shook his head; the drugs still made it foggy, he was hearing things... Things he couldn't... couldn't possibly hear. "You cannot overpower them," Q said. "Cannot overpower them... cannot overpower them..."

"Well what then?" Picard asked in memory.

"You'll have to find that out for yourself."

The Emperor walked away from Picard, but it didn't matter; the voices were growing louder.

“We wanted to see," Q said, "if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.”

“When I realized the paradox.”

“Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you... not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.”

And Picard suddenly realized it, what it all meant, it all fell into place. This conflict between their galaxies that was so trivial, so pointless, so small! And he looked over at the Emperor, standing there and gloating, and he couldn’t contain himself. He laughed. He laughed at how important that silly little man thought he was. If he only knew... if he only knew what fate had in store for all of them.

The Emperor glared at Picard. “I see your mind has succumbed to insanity,” he rumbled.

“On the contrary,” Picard said, trying hard to contain himself, “it’s never been more clear.” He could hear the voices clearly now, all of them. “You poor, poor man.”

“Enough!” the Emperor said. “I will see your Earth burn for this.” Picard laughed even louder at that. “You are insane,” the Emperor said with disbelief. “So be it.” He picked up the thermal detonator and approached Picard.

Picard looked up at him, and gave the most knowing grin of his life. “Go right ahead, your highness,” he said. “But if you do... I shall become more powerful than even you can possibly imagine.” The Emperor glared at him, but it changed nothing. “Five... being the sum of two and three. The light and the dark, the two that will struggle. And the three: the one who created, the one who preserved, and the one who destroyed.” He chuckled a little. “I’m afraid there is no room for you among the five, your highness... though we thank you for playing the part that destiny required.”

The Emperor sneered but said nothing, strapped the thermal detonator to Picard's chest, and walked away. "What's wrong, your highness?" Picard called. "I thought you would appreciate destiny and all that." The Emperor gestured and the device whined as it primed to explode. Picard looked down at it and smiled, nodding just a little. "You were right, Ben... you were right." And the weapon exploded.

Leia tried to speak as politely as she could, but there was a rumbling of distrust beneath the surface. He couldn’t really blame her, not after what he’d done. For the thousandth time he cursed himself for allowing things to go as far as they did, for the destruction he caused within the home of his family. Han refused to even speak to him over the past months, and there was a malevolence that would have been obvious even if he didn’t have the Force. He wished he could take it all back somehow. You caused so much pain Luke, he thought, but it was the people you love the most that suffered the greatest.

“I know you don’t want to do this,” Luke said finally.

She looked at him, and there was hurt in her eyes. She didn’t like what she felt, but there is no denying your feelings. “You’re right,” she said as she dabbed at her eye. “To be honest I don’t want your help, but I don’t have the luxury of being choosy about whom I ask for assistance. I need you to help me save my family from the Empire.”

Luke’s eyes widened. “Jacen and Jaina?”

“And Han,” Leia said. “The report said that Republic and Federation officials were being brought to Bastion for crimes against the Empire. I’m sure that’s where they went. The problem is, no one knows where Bastion is.”

Luke nodded, the grim facts making themselves all too clear. “But I do. I was the Emperor’s servant for a time; who better to lead you to the world and find your family.”

“Yes,” Leia said quietly, not looking at him. She walked over to the wall and leaned against it. “I need your help. I can’t get my family back without you.”

“I’ll do it.”

Leia still didn’t look at him. “You know how dangerous this will be.”

“More than anyone,” he said.

Leia stepped over, but he could still sense her disappointment in the situation. She still couldn’t forgive him for what he’d done, and it might be some time before she ever would. But that didn’t matter now; this was about family, and nothing came before that. She loved them more than she hated him.

Minutes later the Falcon lifted off, destined to return to the galaxy where it had all begun. The starship that had witnessed so many battles, so many decisive moments in galactic history, now went to pierce the very center of Imperial power. Two Jedi against the best of the Empire. Ben and Obi-wan watched them disappear over the jungle. “They won’t let you down, old friend.”

“I hope you’re right,” Obi-Wan said, but there was a note of worry in his voice. “But this is a greater challenge than either have ever faced.”

“What greater challenge is there than the Dark side?” Ben observed.

Obi-Wan nodded. “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

Ben put his hand on Obi-Wan’s spectral shoulder. “Have faith.” Obi-Wan nodded but said nothing. “The waiting is over. Our worlds, our freedoms, our future will be saved. The road ends here... Unity has arrived.”
Chuck

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Did Picard bite it the same way last time? I don't recall the way he died the first time.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Crazedwraith wrote:Did Picard bite it the same way last time? I don't recall the way he died the first time.
No, Picard went out while begging for mercy for the Earth the last time around, as the connecting threads to the second trilogy didn't exist at that point.

But it was a thermal detonator.:wink:

I do like what has been done with Picard, as he seemed to be far more of a whipping boy the first time around than anything else.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Hehe, Picard went out in style, pissing on the Emperor till the end!
Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

Very good! That was a much better end for Picard.
JMS 4:22 | Image
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thank you, guys. Yes, Picard needed a better sendoff, and given what we know, it seemed appropos that he go down taunting the Emperor one last time. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Part XL

“It’s time to go to sleep.”

“Please, just one more story mommy.”

“It’s getting late.”

“Please!”

“Alright, Sebastian. One last story.”

“Once upon a time, in a place far away, there was a little girl who lived happily with her mommy and daddy. But one day, an evil queen took the little girl away and brought her to her castle, where she placed a spell on the little girl. She fell into a deep sleep, but while she slept she listened to the queen and did what she said, bringing other little boys and girls to the queen to be put to sleep.

“But one day, a handsome prince came and kissed the little girl, who was now all grown up, and she awoke from her awful sleep. The two fell in love, and the girl returned to the queen’s palace and woke up all the other sleeping boys and girls, and the queen was destroyed.”

“Yay!”

“But then, before the queen died she put a spell on the young prince, and he became a slave of the king and princess of a far away land. They made him do terrible things, but the girl found him and broke the spell, and he came back to her again. And the girl went to the land of the evil king and his evil princess to stop them from hurting anyone else.”

“That’s very brave.”

“Yes, I suppose it is.”

“So, how does it end mommy?”

Still cloaked, the Federation starship Protector drifted carefully towards the final coordinates it had been given. The nervous tension on the bridge which occurred whenever the crew was left completely blinded by the cloak was even higher than normal, given the severity of the situation. This was the heart of Imperial space, and the slightest mistake could cause their destruction before they would even know it. In truth, they had no way of even knowing they weren’t drifting in empty space light-years from their target, their safety placed solely in the hands of a man who only knew of this place because he had once called the Emperor his master.

Luke sat in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in the main hangar of the Protector, allowing his mind to drift before the strain that was to come. They had never tried anything like this; even running around the Death Star was a piece of cake by comparison. His mind returned to the present as Leia took the seat next to him. “We’re close,” he said.

“Yes,” she said, “I can feel it. The Dark Side is just overwhelming.”

“It’ll be important to stay focused,” he said. “Bastion isn’t like Coruscant, but it’s still fairly impressive. You can get lost easily, so stick with me.”

“Are you sure you want to go?” she asked. She had made it sound like she was looking after him, but he could tell she was worried about him. She still didn’t trust him.

“I don’t have a choice,” he said. “Even through the cloak, they’ll know I’m here; I’ll be leading them right to us and we’ll be finished.”

“Yes,” she said, as her mind pierced the haze caused by Byss. “I can feel them. The Emperor’s there.” She closed her eyes. “And the twins,” she said after a while, and a tear managed to squeeze its way out. “Oh, Luke, they’re so scared.”

“Don’t worry,” he said, putting a comforting arm on her shoulder. “Talk to them. Tell them it’ll be all right.”

She nodded, her eyes screwed shut in concentration. After a little while they opened again, and she looked at him strangely. “Do you feel that?” she asked.

“What?”

“Another presence,” she said. “Here,” she tried to guide him with her mind. “I can’t quite describe it.”

He followed her and felt it. Warm and safe, literally without a care in the world. So familiar... his eyes snapped open. “Oh my God.”

“What is it?” Leia wondered.

“It’s... Sebastian,” Luke said, unable to believe it. “He’s...” He focused more carefully. There she was; he'd know her mind anywhere. "Annika," he whispered. "What are you doing here?"

Still bound to her chair in Darth Whind’s meditation room, Annika rocked back and forth slowly, her eyes closed, waiting for the time to come. “Hunter or prey... hunter or prey... hunter or prey...” she repeated. That was what she’d been taught by her Hirogen teacher years ago in what could be described as another life. Back on the Enterprise where she was science officer, unconcerned with the trivial nature of the human condition. That was all gone now; replaced by a woman without direction, who clung to the illogical belief that somehow things would get better when they were as bad as they’d ever been. All she had left was the knowledge of what she was going to fight for, and it was this that drove her on.

As she sat there, her mind's eye could see her teacher walking around her in this room, still speaking. "When you enter the arena, what do you see?"

"My prey," she said in a low growl.

"And what do you do with your prey?"

Annika bared her teeth. "Hunt it down and kill it."

The cloaked ship drew to a halt.

“All right,” said Jellico’s voice over the comm. “We’re all set. We’ll de-cloak thirty minutes after you leave. Are you sure you don’t want any troops to join you?”

“Yes,” Leia said. “This is going to depend more on stealth then on force of arms, and the fewer that go in, the better.”

“Acknowledged,” Jellico said. “And good luck.”

The large doors opened and the freighter lifted off and slowly drifted through the opening. Seconds later it pierced the cloak, pushing its engines to the max as it accelerated towards the bluish-green world.

"Sir," came a report from one of the officers monitoring Bastion's traffic, "I have an unauthorized freighter coming in towards the platform on Level C3 of the capital."

The colonel in charge came over and looked. "Hail them," he ordered.

"No response, sir," the officer said. "Scans don't show any life readings; could be on auto-pilot."

The colonel looked at the readings. There were still a few YT-class freighters about, but there was only one likely to try and come to Bastion. "Monitor the ship carefully; if it shows any sign of hostility I want it shot down immediately." He turned and flipped the comm. "Bastion security, we have a possible breach occuring on the platform on Level C3, possibly the Millennium Falcon. No signs of life; recommend a dedicated scan and reinforcements."

While stormtroopers were being deployed to deal with the landing freighter, the Royal Shuttle and its escort landed on another platform in the capital. Dark Lady of the Sith Darth Whind exited and proceeded with visible enjoyment. The success in conquering the alpha quadrant was satisfying, but not half so as dealing with the prisoner she'd been informed was waiting for her here. This time there would be no playing with her; this time Seven of Nine would die.

Twenty stormtroopers stood waiting on the landing platform of level C3 as the Millennium Falcon was pulled into position by a tractor beam, its landing gear activated automatically by the system and its ramp lowering. Carefully they formed up and slowly approached the freighter, all familiar with the ship’s reputation. After a few seconds when no one exited they carefully moved inside the ship and secured the area around the entrance. Four remained outside, eyes alert for any tricks the ship might pull on them as the stormtroopers inside carefully moved through the ship.

“All clear,” the corporal said as he met up with his sergeant near the entrance.

The sergeant didn’t buy it. “You checked everywhere?” he demanded.

“Yes sergeant.”

He started down the hall. “Then we check it again.” The stormtroopers fanned out, looking in every possible spot someone could hide, even the lockers. It was only a couple of minutes before they once again failed to find anyone. The sergeant looked carefully around and then took his blaster rifle, switched on the safety, and slammed the butt into the floor like a staff, listening to the clang. He moved to the next panel and repeated the gesture, getting the same reply, and then again, and again. Finally he paused, and repeated the gesture, listening to the slightly different tone.

The floor panels exploded upward, sending the troopers flying while Luke and Leia leapt from the hidden compartment. Their lightsabers swung, blocking shots even while they waded through the stormtroopers; in the cramped area the latter had no chance. "Let's hurry," Luke said. "Odds are someone heard that, and if so there will be more of them."

"What's the plan?" Leia asked.

"Security's going to be up," he said as he led the way towards the ramp. "We find a place to hide for a little while, then we move in carefully, try not to engage if we don't have to." He led the way down the ramp, quickly took out the remaining troopers, and bolted, Leia right on his heels. Fortunately he'd spent enough time here to know the city fairly well, and it was easy to slip out of sight for the moment.

Luke and Leia had carefully entered the compound, weaving their way through the various passageways, doing their best to stay out of sight or blend in, but the movement was slow going. Still, with their Jedi skills they managed to evade detection for quite some time... except for one soul.

The Emperor mulled over the situation. Clearly they had come to take back the children, something which he refused to allow to happen. After careful consideration he sent out the order to his personal guards to patrol that area, to make certain that they would fail. He activated the alarm on the off chance his stormtroopers would be capable of stopping the Jedi, but he wasn’t terribly optimistic. Best to deal with them himself, he finally decided.

But then there was a flash of insight, a glimmer of understanding through the Force. He felt him, very distant, but still somehow here in that accursed way he could manipulate space. The time was coming far sooner than he’d thought, and he considered very carefully. Sisko was the threat, he decided. The Jedi and their brats could always be found later, but if he failed to deal with this enemy his Empire could be threatened. Very well, he thought, caution for now. Sisko must be dealt with when the time comes.

Luke stepped around the corner and quickly jumped back as the area was peppered with blaster fire. At least a three dozen troopers; they weren’t going to make this easy. He nodded to Leia and they both charged out, lightsabers blazing through the air as they caught and reflected the deadly bolts back towards the line of troopers. Leia gave a diagonal slice through one and pulled horizontal through another, only to pivot and pull the blade up to stop the next assault. Luke was covering the opposite side, far more restrained than his sister but no less effective as they waded through the enemy forces. With a few well placed pushes and reflected bolts, he finished off the last of them. “Come on,” he said as he started moving towards the next entryway.

“Wait,” Leia said, staying where she was. “The twins are that way.”

“I know,” he said. “They must have been separated from the main group, because the cells are this way.”

“First the twins,” Leia insisted, “then the others.”

“Leia,” Luke said as he came over. “We don’t have time to argue-“

“Good, then let’s go.”

“Listen to me. The cells are closer, and those people need us too, and we made a promise that we would help them.”

“We will,” Leia said, “after we find the twins.”

Luke stepped over and looked into her face. “Jellico put his trust in you to help save his people. Do you really want to betray that trust?”

“Who are you to talk about betrayal?!” she spat, then turned away. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“Don’t be,” Luke said. “I know I deserved that. But listen to yourself; that’s the dark influence of Byss at work. You’ve got to tread lightly Leia, or you’ll suffer the same fate I did.”

She hesitated. “I... I don’t know what to do.”

Luke took her hand. “Come on. First the cells, then we’ll find Jacen and Jaina, then we'll pick up Annika, and we can all leave this horrible place behind.” The two turned and ran down the hall.

Luke froze in mid-step, his lungs emptying as fear gripped him. Oh no! he thought. Not here! Not now!

Darth Whind paused in her steps elsewhere, sensing him. Skywalker, she thought.

Luke tried to control his nervousness.

A smile came to Whind's face. Yes, my love. I'm here to kill the Borg.

Please! Luke begged. Please, let her go! I'll give you whatever you want!

You no longer have anything I want, Whind thought back.

Let her go! Luke thought desperately. I'll be yours! Just release her!

No, Whind thought back. First her, then you. She cut the psychic connection and marched towards the door of her meditation chamber; she was going to enjoy this.

Victoria Price looked over to Admiral Jellico. “It’s been thirty minutes,” she said, a sound of impending doom in her voice.

Jellico breathed deeply from his command chair. “Red alert. All hands to battle stations.” Across the ship the crew readied itself for the possible attack that would come the moment they revealed themselves to the Empire. Their only hope: that the pair of Jedi on the surface had made it to the political prisoners in time. “Deactivate the cloaking device.” Immediately all the sensors came back on line, revealing the blackness of space. “Where’s Bastion?”

“Off our port, sir,” said the helmsman.

“Take us about,” he ordered. “Let’s take a look at the Emperor’s private residence.” The bluish-green world filled the viewscreen.

“Sir,” came the report from tactical, “Imperial ship at 121 mark 4!”

“On screen,” Jellico ordered. The image of an Inferno-class star destroyer filled the screen. “Are the shields down yet?” he asked.

“Negative,” Price said. She turned to him. “We have to engage the cloak. That ship’s too big.”

“They know we’re here,” Jellico said. “Even cloaked they’ll find us if they know we’re still here, and we can’t leave.” He set his jaw as he thought. “Shields to maximum, charge the main cannon. If we go down, we go down fighting.”

“Any other ships in the area?” General Taar asked quickly on board the Judgment.

“They seem to be the only one, sir,” came the reply. “Their weapons are active.”

Federation, Taar thought as he watched the ship come about. “Launch all TIEs,” he said. “I want us to keep them contained while the fighters do their work. Have the Haytte take them from the rear so they don’t attack the planet. Have the rest break their patrols in case they try to escape another way.” If they made it this far, they had resources the Empire should know about, and that meant taking them intact.

An Imperator-class star destroyer came in from behind as dozens of tiny fighters and bombers swarmed out of the Judgment’s hangar bays towards the single Federation ship.

Darth Whind opened the door to her meditation room casually, savoring the moment that was to come. There she was, helpless, gift wrapped for her to kill once and for all, to end the threat to herself and the Empire... and to make her pay for stealing what by all rights had belonged to Whind. “Well little cyborg,” she said from across the room, “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Annika looked up from where she sat bound in the chair, a grin slowly spreading across her face. “The feeling is mutual.” There was a snap as the binders shattered like glass and Annika jumped out of the chair. Darth Whind had her lightsaber out in a flash, but the Sith stayed where she was. There was the sound like someone crinkling tinfoil, and armored plates began spreading across Annika's forearms, shins, and thighs. “Oh yes, I’ve been waiting. I feel that last time we met I was robbed.” The plates began to fuse. “This time,” there was a snap as the plates completely hardened, “I’m ready for you.”

Darth Whind scoffed. “Really?”

Razor-thin blades emerged behind each fingernail on her left hand. “I am Borg.” She made a fist with her right and pressed it into the left, the room echoing with the sound of her cracking knuckles. “Oh, by the way," she said as she put touched her chin with her index finger, "Luke wanted me to say that he’s sorry," she began running her finger down, "but he needs a bit..." she ran it over her ample bustline, "...more.... from a woman, if you know what I mean.”

Darth Whind swung her saber as she slowly started to advance. “Is that so?” she said with belligerence. “I guess he doesn’t mind a woman who needs implants.”

Annika circled away from her, keeping her guard up. “Oh no no no, Whind," Annika said pitiably. "Not at all. You should know that if there's one thing the Borg refuse to do," she offered a lopsided grin, "it's tamper with perfection."

Darth Whind scoffed at her. “I promise to not draw this out too long,” she said as she prepared to attack.

Annika smiled back as she assumed her fighting stance. “Same here,” she said, and she switched on her cloak. Without that, Mara couldn't sense her.

Unfortunately, neither could anyone else.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

(cont'd)

Luke stumbled and fell, his lightsaber slipping from his grip as he did so. "Oh no," he said in quiet horror. "Oh God... oh God oh no!"

"Luke?" Leia said, stopping and coming back where he lay.

"No..." Tears slipped out of his eyes as he tried in vain to reach out for Annika's presence, but finding nothing but void.

"Luke," Leia said with sympathy, "I'm so sorry."

Luke let out a troubled breath, then pulled himself to his feet. "I'm going to kill her," he rumbled.

"Luke!" Leia said, grabbing his shoulders. "Focus! You can't bring Annika back! What would she want you to do?!"

He stood there, trembling in rage and sorrow; the dark presence of Byss made it so hard to resist. But she'd begged him not to do this, begged him to resist. It was the last thing she'd asked of him... for her sake, he'd do his best to fulfill it. "Let's move," he said darkly, called his lightsaber back to his hand, and marched up the hall with determination.

Darth Whind barely stepped out of the way in time as Annika launched the first attack, slicing at her face with the blades of her left hand. It was pure reflex; somehow she couldn’t sense the Borg any more, and she was nearly impossible to predict with her danger sense. Mara dodged the second and third attacks and then swung at Annika, who ducked under the blow even as she pulled back a fist, striking the Sith in the solar plexus. Whind stumbled back with a grunt, but now her confusion gave way to anger, and she spun her blade and brought it over and down to slice her in two. Annika brought her arm up to try and block the blow, the lightsaber connecting with her armored limb... and bouncing off.

Annika followed this up with a reverse crescent that knocked Darth Whind off balance, following up with a sidekick that knocked her off her feet and onto her back. Annika ran towards her, intent on pressing the advantage, but as she was about to strike the Sith reached towards her and knocked her over with a Force push. Both pushed themselves off the floor and back to their feet, Darth Whind spinning her blade in anticipation, Annika taking a low, wide stance that prepared her to move or jump quickly as she shifted her weight back and forth.

“Back! Back!” Luke shouted, the two tearing off in the direction they’d come as the area behind them exploded. Through the dust came blaster fire as the troops tried to maintain control of the passageway, forcing Luke and Leia even further in the wrong direction.

“Is there another way in?” Leia asked.

“No,” Luke said grimly, trying to think. “Well, nothing that’d get us there any time soon.”

“Then we’ve got no choice,” Leia said, holding out her hand towards the distant smoke.

On the other side the stormtroopers stood ready as their lieutenant barked orders. When your instructions came from the Emperor himself, you made sure there were absolutely no mistakes.

“Hold your fire,” he said, scanning through the smoke to see if they’d hit their target. He suddenly noticed the beeping sound, and turned and looked at the string of detonators his corporal was holding. “Wha-“

Luke and Leia were both tossed to the ground by the force of the explosion as it tore through walls and punctured the ceiling and the floor, all tumbling through the stories below as the fireball ripped through the building. The two stood up and dusted themselves off. “I’m not even going to ask,” Luke said as Leia went around the corner ahead of him.

“Hmm, a little larger than I’d hoped,” Leia said as she looked over her handiwork. “Think we can make it?”

“We’ll have to, unless you feel like adding another few hours to this trip.” He stepped back, concentrating. Finally he broke into a run and jumped, clearing the eight meter gap and crashing through the rubble on the other side. A few seconds later and Leia joined him.

“We’re getting close,” he said. “Han’s with them.”

“I know,” Leia said. She cut through the door with her lightsaber and the pair rushed through.

Annika jumped out of the way as Darth Whind lunged at her with the saber, swinging down to block the horizontal swipe that threatened to cut her in half at the waist. She grabbed Mara’s arm with her left hand, keeping the lightsaber away from her body as she did so, twisting clockwise to drive her elbow into Whind's face. As Annika moved to repeat the gesture Mara grabbed the only thing she could see, a handful of Annika's hair, and yanked her off balance. Annika lost her grip and hit the floor, rolling just in time to avoid being skewered by the lightsaber. She arched her back and jumped back to her feet, swinging her leg to block Mara’s swipe. Her hand flashed out, stabbing the Sith in the arm with the blades, causing Whind to snarl and attack viciously, putting Annika strongly on the defensive as she tried to avoid or block the furious assault that followed. Annika let out a small scream as the lightsaber grazed her left shoulder, then flashed out with a sidekick. Darth Whind spun out of the way and swung at the limb, but struck the armor, sparing Annika a repeat of their last battle. Annika’s fist caught her jaw and sent her stumbling as the Borg regained her balance.

Annika quickly rubbed the sweat out of her eyes. The weight of the armor was slowing her down, but she didn’t dare remove it after the last few attacks. With determination she waited for the Sith’s counterattack. As Mara swiped at her she blocked with her left arm, then reached and grabbed the limb with her left hand even as she pulled back her right, slapping Whind with the back of her fist with such force her head jerked around. Then she grabbed her uniform front and slammed her cybernetic forehead into Whind's, knocking the Sith into a daze. She moved to follow through on the assault when she was jabbed in the stomach and felt Mara’s foot slip behind hers. A quick push and Annika was dropped to the floor. She rolled but howled in pain as Mara’s saber penetrated her right hip, so she swept her feet and knocked the Sith’s legs out from under her.

On board the Protector, Three of Thirteen watched the chaos in Engineering with interest, grateful for the opportunity to observe the Federation’s crew performing under actual combat conditions. He was quite pleased with the results of his decision to leave the Republic base with Luke Skywalker to come here. It seemed that some of the others weren’t as happy about being present at the moment. “Hull breach on deck 12, section 8,” called one of the subordinates, pushing Three out of the way as he went through.

“Reinforce structural integrity,” the chief engineer ordered. “Those damn chronaton torpedoes are completely ignoring our shields.”

The ship shook under another impact. “Rerouting emergency power to SIF,” said another of the tan-collared engineers.

Three thought about this for a little while. “Pardon me for interrupting,” he said to the chief engineer.

“Now’s not the time for questions and answers,” she said, moving over to check the readouts on Warp Core #3. “I want those coolant tanks reinforced,” she ordered.

Three cocked his head as he thought, then went over to one of the panels and began watching the Imperial attacks. The green dot glistened in space for a moment as it soared towards them, then the ship shook under the impact. “Chronaton torpedo,” he intoned. “Krenim delivery system operating on a phased...” He looked at the instruments for a moment, then stepped over to the main readout for the Protector’s series of overlapping shields, examining them slowly. He reached out and two assimilation tubules punctured the console.

The lights flashed in Engineering for a moment, and the chief engineer looked over at him. “What the hell are you doing?” she demanded as she stormed over to Three.

He looked at her curiously. “Adapting.”

She grabbed onto him. “Get your cybernetic-“

“Your shields are not covering an area of space-time which the torpedoes are occupying. You must modify the grid to include those coordinates in order to stop them.”

“Sir,” came the report of the tactical officer, “the torpedoes aren’t penetrating our shields!”

“Nice to hear good news for a change,” Jellico said. “Take us about, course 231 mark 16. Let’s teach this star destroyer a lesson or two.”

The last Federation warship pulled about and charged straight at the Haytte, ignoring the now useless fighters as it twisted through space. There was a red blast from its main cannon that tore straight through the command tower, shearing it off. As it passed over a barrage of quantum torpedoes and phasers tore into its surface, the ship powerless as its crew prepared to man the auxiliary bridge in the main structure. Before its turbolasers had even a chance of firing the Protector tore it apart in another barrage.

“I’ve got two more star destroyers coming in from the other side of the planet,” tactical said. “And there’s a fleet coming in on long-range sensors.”

Price turned to Jellico. “Admiral, we can’t stop that many ships.”

“We stay,” he said, not even looking at her.

“Admiral-“

“We’re not going anywhere,” he almost shouted, “until every last imprisoned Federation citizen is released.”

“Close the blast doors,” the commander of the detention center ordered as his small force moved to the front of the room in case they tried to cut through. They waited, their weapons held in nervous anticipation. There was a small and distant popping sound, and then a ricochet. The commander looked around nervously, wondering what was going on. Then he noticed the rivets popping out of the door one by one. “Ready!” he ordered.

The metal panels fell with an earth-shattering sound as Leia dove through the doorway, her lightsaber swinging furiously as it caught the blaster fire while she charged the guards. Luke came in after her, slamming one into the wall with the Force while he caught a blast with his lightsaber. He charged the commander and cut him down while Leia finished the last of the guards. He quickly activated the controls on all the cells.

“You’re not releasing any criminals?” Leia asked, suddenly realizing where they were.

Luke shook his head. “This area is high security for the Emperor’s political prisoners. The only one who fears the people in here is him.” Some thirty people came running down the detention block as Luke continued working the controls. Han found Leia and grabbed onto her, kissing her for perhaps a little too long but not particularly interested in the opinions of others at the moment.

“Anyone have the feeling we’ve done this before?” Han asked.

“Ah, smart guy,” Leia said as she stepped back over to Luke. “How are we doing?”

“Mara must have changed her password,” Luke said. “I’m having trouble breaking in.” A chill filled the room as Han stared at Luke.

“Protector this is Leia,” she said into the communicator.

“Ambassador,” Jellico’s voice said. “We’d almost given up on you.”

“We have the prisoners but we’re having trouble getting the shields down for transport. Can you hold out a little longer?”

“A little, but not much.”

Leia wet her lips as Luke got back to work. “Admiral,” she said, “my children are in another area of the compound. I don’t suppose you can get a lock?”

There was silence for a short while. “I’m afraid not,” he said.

Of course not, Leia thought gloomily. That would actually be helpful. “We’re going to have to extract them personally. Can you wait for us?”

“I’m sorry, Leia,” Jellico replied, “but we’re barely holding our own and there are reinforcements on the way.”

“I understand,” Leia said, taking Han’s hand. “We’ll find our own way out.”

“I’ve got it,” Luke said. “The shields are down.”

“Leave Luke, Han, and myself behind, admiral,” Leia said. “Beam the rest up.”

The crowd vanished, and Han grabbed a blaster rifle and some power packs from one of the fallen guards. He swung the strap over his shoulder, pocketed the packs, and then punched Luke in the face. "Now I feel less dirty about this," he commented.

"Are we finished?" Leia demanded. Luke obviously let him do that, but it still didn't make it any less pointless.

“I'm feeling much better,” Han said. “Okay, the three of us against the entire Empire. Haven’t done that in a while.”

Together the three of them raced out of the room and headed deeper into the complex.

Inside the cargo bay there was a sudden flurry of activity as an assortment of Federation and Republic citizens appeared safe on board. R2-D2 chirped excitedly as a sudden noise punctuated the group. “Oh, Artoo, thank goodness! I thought that place would be the end!” The little droid beeped back. “What do you mean ‘I had it easy?’” Threepio replied testily. “You weren’t the one languishing in the Imperial dungeons!”

“All present and accounted for,” Price said.

“Raise shields,” Jellico ordered. “Evasive course, throw off their sensors. After the third time activate the cloak. Engage.”

The massive form of the Protector spun away from the heavy guns of the Imperial star destroyers and vanished into hyperspace.

Annika stepped back as she got shakily to her feet, forcing her nanoprobes to begin repairing the damage to her hip as Darth Whind got back up again. She formed a plasma discharger and fired, hoping to buy herself a little bit of time. Darth Whind must have expected this, because instead of absorbing the energy as she’d expected she snapped out with her lightsaber, reflecting the shots back at her. The green energy bounced harmlessly off Annika's adaptive shielding, but the waste of time was far greater. She reabsorbed the implant as Mara started hacking at her, concentrating solely on defense for the moment. Her leg was already starting to feel better, and a few more seconds would allow her to fight adequately enough.

Annika caught the next swing and drove two fingers into a pressure point on the arm, causing Mara to drop her saber. Annika kicked it across the room as Whind grabbed her throat, trying to choke her, but in the game of strength Annika had a severe advantage. Metallic nubs appeared on the back of her hand and she swung, breaking Mara’s jaw with one blow. The Sith stumbled back as Annika kicked, but she twisted to avoid the blow and ducked under the swing that followed, driving her hand into Annika’s wound; the Borg screamed as the Sith twisted the burnt flesh without mercy. Annika hit her in the back of the skull, driving her to the floor as she raised her foot to stomp on the fallen Sith, only to be knocked off her feet when the chair, the one she’d been strapped too, crashed into her, seemingly of its own will. She tossed it off her as she came back to her feet, Mara returning shakily to her own. Darth Whind wiped some of the blood from her face and allowed herself a small, wicked smile as suddenly the objects around the room started shaking on their own. Annika eyed the various ornaments, personal effects, and pieces of furniture with the expression of one who is not terribly excited about what the next few minutes will bring.

Between the three of them the stormtroopers did little more then slow them down as Luke, Han, and Leia ran through the citadel towards the last members of their little family. Han kept a close eye on the rear as Leia and Luke led the charges on the Imperials, either knocking them out of their way with the Force or cutting them down. It was almost brutal, but the stormtroopers didn’t leave them any choice, and time wasn’t on their side.

This last fact became far clearer as they arrived at the corridor that led to the place where the twins were being kept. Luke and Leia skidded to a halt as they saw the first of the Emperor’s personal guards, Han accidentally running into them as he came. “Aw kriff,” he said as he looked at the looming shape. “Not them again.”

“What is that?” Leia asked with revulsion.

“Species....” Han floundered, “eighty-sixed or something. How many of them are there?”

Four more came plodding up from behind the first, forming an impenetrable wall. There was the sound of even more further down the hall.

“Too many,” Luke said, raising his lightsaber. “Well, the bigger they are...”

“...the harder they hit you,” Leia said. “No, sense putting this off.” She raised her lightsaber and leaped at the guard.

Annika ducked as the hail of objects came from all directions, trying madly to avoid the deadly meteorites. She hissed as several medallions pierced the flesh of her back, distracting her long enough for a small cabinet to hit her. Her mind spun with pain, and she barely drove herself to the floor as a large desk flew over her and exploded as it hit the wall. She rolled to avoid the sudden deluge of objects where she lay prone, fighting to stay ahead of the hail of trinkets. She rolled back to her feet and deflected a small footstool before it struck, only to get struck in the small of the back with a brass statue.

All the while, Darth Whind laughed to herself at the Borg’s predicament.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

(cont'd)

Fighting against Species 8472 is a difficult prospect. Besides the fact that they are capable of pulling out your spinal column and beating you about the head with it, their body is like a living bioweapon, infecting and consuming those wounded who manage to escape the battlefield. There is only one known medical treatment involving the use of modified Borg nanoprobes; all others have failed. Fortunately, few doctors know anything about the healing techniques of the Jedi.

Luke sliced off a large purple arm that reached for him. The creature howled and Luke barely got out of the way as it swiped at him. He ducked, and the creature’s fist collided with the duracrete wall. Luke stood up and looked briefly at the hole in surprise, then stepped back and swung at the beast’s next attack, slicing through its torso.

Leia was doing her best to keep Han covered as the guards tried to attack them. Han had already emptied his blaster rifle into the creature, succeeding only in pissing it off even further, if that were possible. Leia stepped in the way and sliced at one, but was unable to move fast enough to avoid the grasp of another as it took her arm and lifted her off the ground, tossing her across the room and hitting the wall with enough force to dent it. Groaning, she pulled herself back to her feet and ran back towards the creatures before they tore her husband apart. She leaped into the air and decapitated one, landing awkwardly due to her injuries. She swiped blindly, cutting through one of Species 8472’s three legs, causing it to stumble and fall to the floor in front of her. She pushed herself up and stabbed it through the chest, letting the Force guide her to a vulnerable spot. She tried to duck, but she was still dazed from before, and the blow that came next knocked her off her feet, her lightsaber skidding across the floor in front of her. She reached out for it but one of the creatures saw it and stamped on it hard, losing most of its lower body in the explosion that followed.

Luke waded amongst the guards, his mind lost in the guide of the Force. You’re holding back, a little voice told him. You could kill them with a single thought. Feel the power... it’s all around you, invigorating you. You remember it, don’t you. The unlimited potential, the knowledge that your every whim was made real! Luke swung on, trying to silence the voice. You can even destroy the Emperor! Take your revenge on him for taking away that pretty girl. What was her name? Annika? That’s right; what happened to Annika? You can’t feel her any more, can you? That’s because she’s dead! Mara killed her on orders from the Emperor! Sweet, innocent Annika, the only one who ever believed in you, the only one in the universe who could still love you after all that happened. She’s gone Luke, and what are you going to do about it? Stand there and play with these monsters? I’m giving you the chance Luke! There’s nothing left to fight for, not family, not love, not government, not ideals, only vengeance! I can give it to you! I can help you destroy them all!

The guards had formed a circle around him, trying to overwhelm him. Suddenly they flew outwards away from him, the single man standing in the center of it all, lightsaber held confidently before him, watching their simple attempts to get back to their feet, burning hatred in his eyes. Energy started to crackle around his hand as he drew in power from the Dark side.

And then, a single voice pierced the fog of his mind, a voice filled with hurt and a sense of betrayal. “You promised!” she demanded. And then it softened. “Don’t kill me all over again.”

This is it! the other voice said. True power, life and death! It’s all in your hands, it’s yours to command! Don’t resist, embrace it! Now, while there’s still time!

“Promise you won’t give up on me.”

Even Species 8472 had the sense to back away from Luke as he stood transfixed in an expanding circle of crackling energy. Beyond them, he saw Han holding Jacen and Jaina in his hands, slipping down the hallway, Leia close behind. “No,” he said out loud. “I don’t want it.” He was breathing heavily. “You hear me,” he shouted, “I don’t want it!!!” The circle shattered like crystal, the energy suddenly finding release, charging into the bodies of the Emperor’s guards, destroying them. The windows exploded outward and the floor rumbled, but Luke remained in his spot in the center of the room, his face buried in his hand as tears ran down his face. “Forgive me, Annika,” he said. “Forgive my weakness.”

“Luke,” Leia called from nearby. “Luke, we’re leaving now!” He stayed where he was, and Leia turned to go without him, but she felt him. No anger, no fear, just so much guilt... and so much ache. She walked back and took his hand. “Come on,” she said. “Your family needs you.”

Moving as swiftly as she could, Annika caught the chair as it flew across the room at her, and spun, heaving it into the surprised form of Darth Whind. The Sith managed to deflect it before it actually connected, but failed to stop the 1.7 meters of pissed off Borg that followed. Annika wrapped her arms around Mara’s waist as she dove at her, driving both to the floor in a tangled heap. She pulled back her fist and swung as Darth Whind’s head moved out of the way, the sound of bone’s cracking as it connected with the duracrete floor. Mara used the distraction to wrap her arm around Annika’s neck, trying to snap it and end the fight quickly, but Annika, ignoring the pain in her right hand, snagged a fistful of red hair and slammed Whind's head into the floor. Mara, temporarily blinded, quickly felt her way from Annika’s shoulder to her face and Force pushed, tossing the Borg across the room into the wall. She quickly pulled herself back to her feet and, with a force-induced rush, sprinted across the room, slamming Annika into the wall again with the force of a battering ram. She pulled back her fist and slammed it into Annika’s face; it was like punching a droid. Annika swung, but was off balance and Mara twisted, tossing her over her shoulder and slamming her to the floor, driving her boot into Annika’s solar plexus and knocking the wind out of her. She swung again, this time, kicking Annika in the head, but the Borg’s hand snagged her other foot and heaved, pulling her off balance and knocking her to the floor. Annika came uncertainly back to her feet as Mara jumped back to hers, and immediately the Sith pushed her advantage, driving her knee into Annika’s stomach and then elbowing her in the face.

As soon as she felt her stomach get hit, pure instinct took over. The tiny child inside was suddenly frightened by the intrusion, and feelings Annika’d never had before came bursting to the surface. Her face twisted into a look of hatred and she grabbed the Sith, ignoring the pain in her right hand as she punched the woman in the face with the broken limb. She did it again, and again, battering the Sith as Mara slammed into her with the Force, but Annika was in an unrelenting rage. As the Sith slipped out of her grip she spun and pushed, her outstretched leg catching Mara and knocking her across the room, then rushing to finish the contest for good.

As Mara hit the floor she saw her lightsaber just a few meters away. Immediately her hand shot out, calling the blade to her. There was a crunch as a spike pierced the bottom of Annika’s boot and she thrust it through her outstretched hand, pinning the Sith’s limb to the floor. As the blade almost reached her Annika pirouetted on the spike, her right foot catching the blade and kicking it into the air. She finished the spin and snatched it out of the air, igniting it as she looked down at her nemesis. “Futile,” she spat, and swung, removing Mara’s head from her shoulders with one quick swipe.

Annika turned off the blade and reabsorbed her spike, panting for breath in her exhaustion as her anger was replaced with disappointment at what she’d done. She was about to throw the lightsaber away when she suddenly had a change of heart. Jedi keep lightsabers as trophies, she remembered. Why not? she thought as she attached the hook from the fallen Sith’s belt to her own and hung the blade there. “Okay,” she said to the empty air as she looked about, “now what?”

“Now’s the time to get out of here,” came a familiar voice.

Annika turned quickly. “Ben?”

Sisko stepped over. “I knew you could do it,” he said with a small smile.

She looked over at the fallen shape of her enemy. “It’s not exactly something I’m proud of.”

“That’s fine, so long as it was done.” He stepped over and knelt down, examining the woman carefully. “Such a shame it had to come to this. There were realms she didn’t see, ones where you and her became close friends in fact.”

“I doubt that,” Annika said, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

“You’d be surprised.” He stood up. “But we all have our choices to make, and she made hers some time ago.” He turned back. “You’ve done a great service that will probably never be recognized by anyone, but know that because of you the galaxies have a chance.”

“A chance?” Annika said, still not recovered from the harrowing battle. “You mean it’s not over yet?”

“Not while the Emperor still opposes us,” he said. “The evil needs to be stopped, but that’s my concern.” He stepped over and took her shoulders, his warm smile back again, but a hint of sadness beneath. “I’m going to have to leave you now. You’ve done what destiny demanded... now it’s time to rest. But you must leave Bastion immediately or you’ll surely die.”

“I’ll need to find a ship,” Annika said. “Preferably something with a cloak so I don’t get shot down-“

“Go to the platform on level C3,” Ben said. “Luke is there, along with his ship. But you must hurry Annika. No one who remains behind will survive what is to come.”

“Luke is here?” she said in disbelief.

“No more questions, child. Unity is at hand, but if you’re to live to see it you have to leave now.” He touched her stomach. “For both your sakes.”

Annika's jaw trembled a little. "The fight... she didn't hurt him, did she?"

"I never would have sent you if that could happen," Ben assured her. "He's important to the galaxy, you know," he smiled. "Almost as important as he is to you." Annika embraced him, and he patted her back a moment, then forced her away. "It's time, child. Leave! Hurry!”

She hesitated, but with another prompting she turned and ran for the doors. Sisko watched her depart, but then his smile faded. “All right Benjamin,” he said to himself, “you’ve been waiting a long time for this; it’s time to finish it.”

Luke, Leia and Han burst out of the entryway to the landing platform, sprinting as fast as they could for the Falcon. Two stormtroopers guarded the starship, but Luke rushed them and with a few swipes the area was clear. “Come on!” he shouted, and Han bolted up the ramp with Jacen and Jaina, Leia close behind. She stopped half way and looked back to Luke, who was still standing at the bottom.

“Hurry up,” she said. “We’ve got to get out of here before more guards arrive.” He nodded and stepped to the bottom of the ramp, but then looked back towards the complex. “Luke!” she said in frustration, but then calmed herself. “Luke, I’m sorry, but she’s gone.” He didn’t move. “We both felt it...”

He was quiet. “I know,” he said with a voice that said he didn’t want to believe it, but couldn’t argue against it.

“Come on,” she said kindly, coming down and putting her hand on his shoulder. “We’ve got to go.”

He looked back at the complex one last time and nodded in silence, and then walked up the ramp into the Falcon, Leia close behind. There was a rumble from the freighter as the engines came to life, ready to leave this hated world behind.

The Emperor scowled as he felt Darth Whind’s death, knowing that this time there was nothing he could do to save her. Very well, he thought, if she fell to that Borg woman then she was unworthy of being his apprentice anyway. He returned to his throne room, flanked by two of his guards. He slowed as he felt the presence, turning to see the man on the other side of the room, arms folded, waiting with an air of quiet confidence. His guards were behind him, frozen. “So, you’ve finally decided to come out from behind the curtain,” the Emperor said.

Sisko stepped away from the wall and began walking casually closer. “It’s time that both of us stopped fighting through our intermediates and came together face to face.”

The Emperor nodded. “So be it. I grow tired of this game. It is time that you were dealt with permanently.”

“I couldn’t have said it better myself,” Sisko said with a grin.

The Emperor raised his hands, the air around them glowing slightly as he drew on the power of the Dark Side. Energy crackled across the room as he seemed to absorb it from the very space around him, his body starting to become luminescent. The stained glass wall nearby began to crack along its length and then shattered into a cascade of colors.

Ben Sisko stood his ground, hands folded before him, waiting.

Annika’s feet pounded the duracrete as she ran through the compound, looking desperately for the exit. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, she saw a turbolift and practically dove inside, hitting the button for Level C3. The doors opened and she burst through the opening. Two stormtroopers appeared but her heart was pumping so fast she didn’t even think; she did a spinning crescent kick to one as she blasted another with her plasma discharger, barely missing a beat as she continued her sprint towards the landing platform.

Annika tore around the corner and saw the band of light, signifying that the Falcon’s engines were on-line and ready to lift off. Her arms pumping madly, she moved as fast as her legs could take her. She watched the repulsors kick in and lift the ship off the ground, and then slowly move towards the sky. “Wait!” she cried futilely, continuing her mad run. The Falcon moved on and tilted upward, accelerating as she raced to catch up. “Luke!” The heel broke on her boot and she stumbled and fell on her face. She looked up through tear-filled eyes at the vanishing starship. “Please Luke! It can’t end like this!” The ship was a distant dot as she pulled herself up to her knees. “Please...” she said as she cried quietly. “Don’t leave me here all alone.”

A shadow appeared, and she twisted around, expecting to face more stormtroopers or even some of the Emperor’s personal pets. As she looked up, her crying continued, but she jumped to her feet with newfound energy. “Luke!” she said in disbelief as she grabbed onto him and clung to him with all her strength, shaking as her tears turned to joy. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tight.

"'We escape together, or not at all,'" he said hoarsely. "'There will be no further argument.'"

Annika held him as tight as she dared. “How did you know?” she asked.

Luke patted her back as he closed his eyes, grateful to have her in his arms again. “I didn’t,” he said with a choke in his voice. “I just refused to give up on you.”

The Emperor looked at Sisko with contempt as the man stood there, smiling despite the onslaught he’d just received. “You can start any time you’re ready,” Sisko said dismissively, and the Emperor snarled at him, flooding the room with renewed vigor. Behind him, his guards began smoldering and then burst into flames under the force being unleashed, but still Sisko stood his ground, seemingly unfazed by it all.

The Emperor ground his teeth and summoned even more power, but Sisko’s smile remained. However, beads of sweat began forming on his forehead as the attack continued. He wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep this up, but he refused to let that show as he stood his ground before his enemy.

Luke and Annika ran side by side across the surface of platform C3 towards the landing bay on the north side. They reached the corner, turned around it, and quickly darted back. "Oh good, I was afraid this would be easy," Annika said. There were dozens of stormtroopers out there, and they probably knew they were here.

Luke pulled out his lightsaber. "Ready to make a hole?" he asked.

Annika grinned; plasma dischargers formed on the back of both of her wrists. "God, you're sexy when you're about to kill someone." She kissed him deeply. When it ended they nodded to each other and ran around the corner.

The lightsaber swung, the dischargers fired, and stormtroopers went down left and right. Luke took the front, blocking shots from hitting Annika while she fired into the horde. They were more of a team than they'd ever been, the years of knowing one another filling them in on exactly the strengths and weaknesses of the other, so that the stormtroopers didn't have a prayer. Luke's lightsaber moved with machine-like precision. Annika dispensed some properly applied Tsunkatse. Luke gave a well-timed Force push. Annika used her enhanced vision to put a plasma blast into the power generator for the E-Web. Annika led the way towards a shuttle, then glanced back and saw Luke was still dealing with some stormtroopers. “Skywalker!” she shouted back at Luke as he dealt with some troopers, “Would you kindly get your Jedi ass in gear?” She blasted a couple troopers that came into view. “You know, the whole armageddon thing?”

The stormtroopers finally got the sense of what was happening and withdrew, so Luke and Annika quickly boarded the waiting shuttle. "I'm driving," Luke said as he grabbed the pilot's seat.

"I'll mix the drinks," Annika said, closing the ramp. She dropped into her chair as the engines fired up.

"They'll probably be watching the wormhole," Luke commented.

"Then forget the wormhole," Annika said. "All that's over there are things, memories. Let's just go somewhere and make some new ones."

"No rebellion?" Luke asked.

"If Ben's right, we won't need one," Annika said. "If he's not... then I just want to find a place and stay buried. I've got you and our baby; that's all I want. The Emperor can have the galaxies if he wants them."

"A place to hide, huh?" Luke said as they lifted off. "I think I know just the place."

Annika grinned at him, then looked in front of her. "Mr. Skywalker... engage."

Luke laughed. "Aye, commander."
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

(cont'd)

The room exploded as the pressure continued to increase, the Emperor releasing unbelievable sources of power on his foe. The two plunged nearly half a kilometer as the building yielded to the incredible forces, and yet both managed to pull themselves to their feet despite the ordeal. Sisko took the moment’s opportunity he had to steel himself while the Emperor tried to concentrate. The air began to crackle and hiss as he again called on incredible energies to eliminate his foe. His rage unparalleled, the air began swirling into a vortex around them as the colossal heat radiated into the air, the metallic remnants of the palace pooling around them. Sisko began to feel the strain as his hair started smoldering, and he found it more difficult to ignore the pain. “You’ll have to do better than that, old man,” he stammered. The Emperor, his eyes filled with loathing, screamed for power.

The Emperor called upon all the power of Byss, a world charged by the power of the Dark side. It was like putting a candle in a room of pure oxygen, it glowed brighter and hotter than ever imagined. Energies never before released by any one individual poured out of him, shaking the ground as it pulsed. Sisko stood fast against what he knew would come next...

The first shockwave flattened the entire capital city as effectively as any bomb ever made. There was no time for anyone to do anything as the damage consumed it in an instant. Then came the second.

Citizens across Bastion looked up at the sky that day and saw an early sunset, wondering if there had been an accident. And then a rolling wall of orange sailed across the surface of the ground faster than sound, demolishing cities, flattening hillsides, consuming the entire surface of the planet as it flew unchecked across Bastion. One particular mountain was torn apart, revealing a deep and hidden chamber beneath the surface for a few seconds before its contents were consumed in the fire.

The Inferno had been moving to intercept the Millennium Falcon as it attempted its escape, and that gave the bridgecrew a perfect view as the bluish-green world slowly turned an orangish-white. Delric Taar stepped nearer the window to watch, speechless as the world was consumed by energy right before his eyes. “Sithspawn,” he whispered.

“Some kind of Federation weapon?” the Inferno’s captain asked.

Taar shook his head. “If they had something like that, we’d never have won the war.”

As the energy continued to consume the planet, a shuttle raced upwards from the launch pad, it’s engines fighting the pull of gravity as its passengers tried desperately to escape. “Hang on!” Luke cried as he felt it coming, powerless to avoid it. The ship lurched as the pressure wave hit, spiraling through the air as the energy tried to consume it, and all the while Luke fought to maintain control.

“I’m transferring emergency power to the shields,” Annika said as her hands flew over the controls.

Luke grit his teeth and pushed the engines hard. The ship lurched like it was being hit by asteroids as the energies continued to buffet it about. There was a pop as the strain became too great and the controls died. Immediately Annika reached our her left hand and plunged her assimilation tubules into the controls, her eyes tight in concentration as the ship began to twist downwards, spiraling out of control. There was a flash and they came back on, and Luke pulled tight to head for the upper levels of the atmosphere.

Sisko stood his ground at the center of the inferno, screaming in agony as his body was being consumed in the flame, his hair and skin long gone, but his eyes still fixed on the Emperor with unequaled conviction. Somehow the Emperor remained where he was, his body shining as bright as a noonday sun as energy coursed through his body like never before. “Is that the best you can do?!” Sisko chided him even as he fell forward, barely holding himself off the ground as the pain wracked his body. Somehow the energy managed to grow even more intense. “I thought... you were supposed... to be... the mas- master... of the Dark Side... Your display... is pathetic!”

The energy increased so suddenly that another shockwave formed, knocking Sisko backwards. He tried to stand up, but his left leg crumbled to dust and he fell face down. Still the Emperor poured on the power as Sisko tried to lift himself up. When he looked up at the Emperor there was barely any flesh left on his face, but still his eyes burned within their sockets at him. His mouth, barely held to his face, managed to open, and somehow a laugh of contempt found its way out. The Emperor snarled and there was an explosion, and Sisko’s body collapsed into dust.

The Emperor staggered and fell to the ground as the air still sizzled around him from the powerful energies that had been released. When he finally opened his eyes, the air around him still glowed orange. He forced himself back to his feet, looking at the devastation that stretched from one horizon to the other. But then his eyes fell to Sisko’s fallen form, and he chuckled quietly to himself.

The Millennium Falcon raced through space as a flurry of TIEs pursued, the long shape of the Judgment not too far behind. “Hang on,” Han said as he put the ship through a flurry of dips and twists to evade the fighters as more Imperials moved in to box in the freighter.

From the bridge of the Judgment General Taar watched the actions of the fleet, waiting for the right moment. The interdictors were holding the ship in place for now, but the Falcon was notorious for its ability to evade despite the best efforts of the Empire. “I want them taken alive,” he said sternly, watching the ship take another wild turn to try and outguess the interdictors and evade the fighters.

“Look out!” Leia said, reaching for the controls, but even as she did the ship lurched and slowed.

Han’s eyes shot over to the instruments. “Tractor beam,” he said in frustration, and he pushed the engines as hard as he could, but the star destroyer continued to grow in the window. Warning lights came on across the cockpit but he continued to push, refusing to give in. There was an explosion and a whining sound, and Han released the lever in frustration. “Why this time?” he demanded of the ship. He sighed and turned to his wife. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she replied. She watched the hangar start to grow through the window. “I don’t think we’ll be able to fight our way out of this one.”

Han grunted and knocked on the panel in thought. “I don’t suppose you can Jedi your way out of this, too?”

“Sorry, but an unarmed Jedi against fifty thousand Imperials isn’t going to be much of a fight.” Her hand found his as they were pulled inside. She thought briefly of her vision months ago back on Earth; her children being taken before the Emperor by Luke for training. Her sweet, innocent babes... His hand turned white as she gripped it in grief. At least they’ll survive, she thought gloomily as the ship settled into position.

On the other side of the world, a single Imperial shuttle escaped the flaming destruction of Bastion and launched itself at almost relativistic speeds into space. No one seemed to pay them much attention given the chase of the Falcon and the impossible destruction being seen below. Before that changed Luke quickly plotted the course and the shuttle vanished into hyperspace.

Delric Taar stepped into the command room which had been quickly modified to serve as the Emperor’s temporary throne room. He seemed no worse for wear, despite being the sole survivor of the carnage on Bastion. “Your majesty,” he said, “We’ve finished our sweep of the area and captured one rebel ship. I’m afraid a second Federation ship has eluded us, but we’ve put out an alert for the five closest sectors to watch out for it.”

“A Federation ship penetrates the heart of our space, releases political prisoners, and then escapes?” the Emperor said with disapproval. “Have you any explanation for this?”

Yes, Taar thought, you had spread our forces out too thin, as I warned you, and we lacked the ships necessary to properly patrol this sector. “No, your highness. I take full responsibility for this incident.”

Taar waited, unable to quell his nervousness as the Emperor seemed to slowly consider the situation. “I must say, general, that you are something of a disappointment. I’m afraid you just are not qualified to serve the position you now fill.” He turned and looked out the window. “It is my wish that you transfer to Raithall immediately.”

Taar was slightly surprised. “The Academy, your highness?”

“Yes. You have the skills to lead, but you lack the essence. Perhaps your students can succeed where you fail.”

“Yes, your excellency.”

“You’ll be taking the place of Col. Trykll. It’s time he moved on to other matters.”

Taar nodded, forcing himself not to smile. Trykll was head of the advanced piloting division; it was the kind of job every pilot dreamed of. There was the doldrums of lectures but the majority of your time was spent pitting your skills against the best of the up-and-coming pilots of the Empire. “As you wish, your majesty,” a slight tone of satisfaction in his voice. No more bickering with subordinates, no more jostling for power, no more deciding who lives and who dies... just flying.

“I want the rebels brought before me,” the Emperor said, ignoring him. “There are matters we need to discuss.” He smiled. “Concerning their children.”

The Imperials were indeed searching for the last remaining Federation ship, but with their fleet stretched to the limits and concerns about smugglers, it didn’t rank very high on their list of priorities. The cloaked form of the Protector sailed through the galaxy with little to fear at this time. In any case, no one was looking in their particular direction at the moment.

“You wanted to see me, Admiral,” Victoria Price said as she entered the ready room on the Protector.

“Yes,” the admiral said as he looked over a PADD. “Sit down.” He leaned forward, and his smile suddenly made her very uncomfortable. “Ms. Price, I have an offer for you that you cannot possibly refuse.”

A squad of stormtroopers brought the Solos before the Emperor, given strict instructions not to take any chances with either of them, given their reputations. As they stepped before him Han’s face was a mask of hatred, but Leia had a rather neutral expression; both were locked in binders. The Emperor looked them both over carefully, and then to the stormtroopers. “Leave us,” he said. Without even a second of confusion at the order the armored men turned and walked out, leaving the three alone together. “You look like you have something to say,” he said to Leia.

“Leave her alone,” Han said with quiet contempt.

“Han,” Leia said, and he forced himself to be quiet, but there was no disguising his hatred. Leia stepped forward and held up her wrists. “Are you going to unlock these, or should I?”

“Why should I do that?” the Emperor said with a wry smile.

There was a click as the binders slipped off and fell to the floor. “Is it safe to talk here?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied.

“Leia,” Han said in quiet disbelief, “what are you doing?”

“It’s all right,” she said. “There’s nothing to worry about,” her eyes never left the black-cloaked form. “This isn’t the Emperor.”

The Emperor nodded a little. “Very perceptive.”

“What are you talking about?” Han asked. “I saw holos of him. This is the Emperor.”

“I’m afraid the ambassador is quite correct, Mr. Solo,” the Emperor said. “I’m not who I appear to be, and that is a secret you must both keep, if Unity is to succeed.”

“What is Unity?” Leia asked.

“The union of all our people as one,” the Emperor said. “The breaking down of all the boundaries that separate us, the building of a new future for us all.”

“I don’t understand,” Leia said.

“We have been too divided, unable to move beyond the pointless bickering that has plagued us for centuries. It would, ultimately, have led to our own destruction. Unity is our salvation. Now there are no Klingons, no Romulans, no Dominion, no Federation, there is only us. United together in a way never thought possible.”

“United,” Han said, “under your rule.”

“For now, yes.”

“That’s why Annika had to fight Darth Whind,” Leia said. “She would know the same thing I do, that you’re not who you’re pretending to be.”

“Yes,” the Emperor said. “Although if she’d been with him at the time I would have failed. His mind weakened only at the last possible moment; with her strength helping him, I would never have succeeded. But regardless, she’s gone, and you and your brother are the only ones in the galaxy who can see through my ruse now.”

“So all this fighting, all the bloodshed and destruction,” Han stepped forward. “It was all to make you the ruler of the galaxy?” He frowned at him. “You’re no better than the man you replaced.”

“It was a sad necessity.”

“It was a grab for power.”

“No,” the Emperor said. “This isn’t about power at all. That’s why you’re here.” He turned to Leia. “When the galaxies finally accept the way things are, the Imperial Senate will be created. We’ll restore freedom across the galaxy, everything you ever wanted during your rebellion. I’ll need your help to do that. You have the experience and the reputation that can make this change happen. We have set up the catalyst for an era of peace that will dwarf even the time of the Old Republic."

“All this, at the cost of billions of lives,” Han said.

“Yes,” the Emperor said, and there was a surprising sign of sadness. “That’s why I chose myself for this role. It’s only fitting that I make this sacrifice.”

“What sacrifice?” Han scoffed.

Leia was beginning to understand. “You’ve lost it all, haven’t you? You had all that power, and you gave it up when you took over his mind.” She shook her head. “You were immortal.”

“Yes,” the Emperor said. “But that’s only the beginning. After you leave I will have to destroy myself. Ben Sisko will in effect cease to exist... I will believe that I am the Emperor. I have to, or I’ll be found out. Telepaths and empaths would know of my deception, but the lifeforce, the lifeforce is unique. They won’t be able to see what you have seen.”

“But then won’t you resort to the evil ways of the Emperor?”

He smiled, and surprisingly, even on that wrinkled visage it managed to seem warm. “I may be gone, but you cannot change the nature of what I believe.” Han’s binders fell to the floor, and the Emperor activated the comm in his chair. “Bring the children to me,” he said. He noticed the flash of panic. “Don’t worry. I wouldn’t harm them. On the contrary, I'm counting on them. That vision, Leia, will come true... they will become great Jedi.” His smile faded just a little. "This is not the end, you see. I'm not worthy to sit here; I was merely the creator, it is not my place to usurp the position earned by the light. She paved the road with her blood and tears, so that one day her son can take my place, having earned it by paying the price."

"I don't understand," Leia said. "What price?"

Sisko looked grim. "Unity will demand a great price be paid. But do not worry, Leia, he will pay it. And I promise you that your grandchildren will be born into a galaxy where war will be the stuff of fairy tales, such will be the peace to come. It will not be easy for him, but luckily he'll have help."

The children were brought in and given to their parents. After the guards left the Emperor got up and walked over. “Yes,” he said as he looked at Jaina, her face showing the nervous wonder of the truly innocent, “he’s going to need your help. He may be strong, but Sebastian will need your strength and guidance to hold us together during the dark times to come.”

“What dark times?” Leia asked.

“Shh,” the Emperor said as he smiled at the young girl. “Nothing to be afraid of now. When the time comes, you’ll be ready. For now, it’s time to cherish the hard fought peace, to remember what it is that we fought for.” He looked up to Leia. “I’m establishing the new capital on Chandrilla, a beautiful planet. Will you join me there to help reshape this Empire into something great?”

Leia looked over at Han, noticing his scowl. He didn’t like it, but he was willing to accept whatever she decided. Change from without, or change from within? Why not. “Yes,” she replied.

He looked back to the child, and spoke softly.

“’Yet when this fiery web is spun,

Her watchmen shall descry from far

The young Republic like a sun

Rise from these crimson seas of war.’”

Almost a hundred members of the Protector crew gathered in the runabouts and shuttles located in the hangar and shuttle bays about the ship, another seven hundred remaining at their stations. Admiral Jellico oversaw the last arrivals. “Jellico to the bridge,” he said as he tapped his communicator.

“Bridge here,” said Victoria Price as she walked about, watching the new members of her crew take their stations. Three sat uncomfortably in the helmsman seat, the droids Artoo and Threepio standing off to the side with a kind of nervous anticipation. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes,” Jellico said. “We’ll arrange transport back to the Federation, perhaps join the rebellion, but our place is here. Some of us are just cut out to be soldiers.”

“I suppose so.”

“She’s a fine ship,” he said as he opened the door of the last runabout. “The last harbor of the Federation. Take good care of her, captain.”

“We will,” she replied. She got the confirmation from her tactical officer. “Open all hangar and shuttle doors.”

The tiny vessels swarmed away from the ship, dancing towards the distant form of a planet to continue their war effort. That wasn’t the place for this crew. “Close all doors.” She turned to the droids. “Know anything about K13-D?”

Artoo beeped and twisted his head. “That would be our nearest galactic neighbor,” Threepio replied. “No one has ever been there.”

Capt. Price smiled. “Sounds perfect. Lay in a course, Mr. Thirteen, and engage at Warp 14.” She stepped over to the captain’s chair. She watched the stars turn in space as the ship came about, unable to resist smiling at the joy of the moment. She reached over and activated the log entry. “This is Captain Victoria Price, cataloguing the voyages of the Starship Protector. It’s final mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations...” Space twisted and folded as the ship vanished into hyperspace. “....and to boldly go where no one has gone before.”

“So, how does it end mommy?”

Annika Hansen Skywalker came out of her tent and stretched, looking about their campsite. Over on the edge of the bluff sat her husband, and beyond him was the image of Tatooine’s twin suns just above the horizon. Were they rising... were they setting.... it didn’t matter. Whether it meant that her old life was gone or that her new had begun, the point was that there were many more days and nights waiting for them ahead, together... and that made this paradise.

“How do you think it ends?”

Luke stood up as Annika came over, and they wrapped their arms around each other before the distant suns, gazing deeply into one another’s eyes. At long last, all of it was over. No Sith, no Borg. Their obligations had been met; they'd finally been given the rest they'd earned after all the suffering, and the chance to enjoy the rare and precious love they were given here, where the rules had been broken just for them.

“I think they lived happily ever after.”

Their eyes finally closed, and their lips met, and the rest of the universe seemed to fade away.

“I think so too. Good night.”
Chuck

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Good stuff.

I'm not really sure if this is the place to raise this, but we really ought to have these posted in the cleaned and completed fic forum. Your stories are some of the best this forum has seen and they really ought to be there.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:D Excellant. I enjoyed the pre-fight repartee from Mara and Seven. And especially the pre-mortem onliner: "Futile"

Though what I like most is the final mission of the Protector. Those words sent tingles down my spine.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Also liked this ending. Such a great and fitting ending to the trilogy :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Absolutely excellent ending.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

The fight between Annika and Mara Jade, Sisko and the Emperor, and the fairy tale that Annika is telling Sebastian...all perfectly done.

Excellent work, Sonnenburg. I look forward to what else you have to redux.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Good stuff.
Thanks!
Prozac the Robert wrote: I'm not really sure if this is the place to raise this, but we really ought to have these posted in the cleaned and completed fic forum. Your stories are some of the best this forum has seen and they really ought to be there.
I certainly wouldn't object. :D
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote::D Excellant. I enjoyed the pre-fight repartee from Mara and Seven. And especially the pre-mortem onliner: "Futile"
It's part of my effed up nature... it seemed appropriate that after Mara commented on the fact that she was fertile and Seven wasn't, that Seven strike back this time with her own advantages. :)
Crazedwraith wrote: Though what I like most is the final mission of the Protector. Those words sent tingles down my spine.
Thanks very much. I wanted to give the Federation a kind of victory even in defeat, and that seemed the most true to wait they should stand for.
Chuck