Which Gundam series is worth watching?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

If you had seen 0079 first, you would be really pissed right now.
Oh, and is Kira banging Frey yet, because that is in all likelyhood one of the few high points of the series. When you get done with the rest, post again, and look at my complaints and throw in your own. Lets turn this into a total sucky gundam bitchfest!
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Grasscutter wrote:5 is an alternate take on some of the events in Char's Counterattack, and I actually prefer it to the original telling.
It's the version from Beltochika's children, and is apparently the official version of events, now.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Quess survivng is canon now? Damnit, she has to die! This is Gundam, everyone must die!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Quess? Lives? WTFbitch?!
JADAFETWA
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Quess has to die because Chein dies because of Hathaway! Chein has to dies because then the magic T gets to save the Earth!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Wait, what?!

God damn it, I liked that episodes of Gundam Evolve as a nice alternate thing, actually I really liked it, but to declare it official and supercede the film is just absurd.

Damn it, more and more I'm liking Tomino back when he was depressed...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

It is often said that as soon as Tomino breathes his last breat, Bandai will have promotions ready for the return of Amuro and Char.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

I dunno, with the changes in Zeta, and apparently Quess not dying like she should, Tomino might have become happy enough to resurrect them himself.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

They could always animated Hathaway's Flash. Pretty Char clone! That'd give them a reason for a Master Grade Xi Gundam.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Or they could just animate Gaia Gear, and bring forth the Char memory clone.

I'd prefer they'd animate Crossbone Gundam. Pirate Gundams, arrrrrr.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I'd like to see For the Barrel brought over, mainly because that property seems to be such a complete and total mystery on this side of the Pacific...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Oops. I mixed up Hathaway's Flash with Gaia Gear. That's the one with the Char memory clone, right?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Yep, and Gaia Gear is a Zeta-ish machine.

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The Gaia Gear is a beautiful giant core fighter.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Grasscutter wrote:There's nothing remotely shiny about the SEED mech designs, they're hideous. And they JUST KEEP COMING. Have you been to the Destiny section at mahq.com? Each side of the conflict has a million different Gundams with stupid names like "Infinite Justice Gundam" and "Legend Gundam". And this is supposed to be one of the "gritty and realistic" Gundam universes...

The original Wing designs at least had that super-robot charm, and the Katoki redesigns are really elegant. With the exception of the ASTRAY Gundams, the SEED stuff all look like fan-wank creations or bad parody.
Hey, my Perfect Grade Aile Strike Gundam looks pretty damned slick. :)

And the mechanics are amazing. I hope future PG kits benefit from it.

But, yeah, most of the designs in SEED, especially in Destiny, sucked. Overboard doesn't begin to describe it. It was a more transparent ploy to sell toys than anything else I've seen. I doubt even post-popularity Pokemon and Yugioh was that bad.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

In some ways I believe that Gundam Wing's storyline was so bad it was somewhat good, and not so much stupid as surreal.
Gustavius
Redshirt

Post by Gustavius »

0083 is not that bad all considered. Delaz is an interesting character, and he is a good strategists even if fanaticism to his own cause makes him blind to the possibility of betrayal from his own ranks (*cough*Garahau is a bitch*cough*). Plus 0083 is essential for setting the stage for the rise of the first and second Neo Zeon movements. Harman picks of the pieces that Delaz left behind and uses them quite well, and without her it is doubtful that Char's own Neo Zeon movement would have been as powerful as it was.

Plus it is nice to see the Federation get smacked around like it deserves to be. Overall the Federation is not the "good guy" act in the series. There are "good guys" in it, but mostly it is just a bloated, greedy bureaucracy. And it is always good to see the Federation get smacked around with its own weaponry for being arrogant enough to think they could violate the Antarctic Treaty with impunity.
To deny one's history, even undesirable history, is stupid.

Humanity has evolved beyond the need for morality.

"We are a world power and a world influence, or we are nothing."
~Harold Wilson, 1964

"One never fully appreciates civilization until the lights go out."
~Gregory MacAllister, "Patriots in the Woodshed," The Incomplete MacAllister

Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Gustavius wrote:Plus it is nice to see the Federation get smacked around like it deserves to be. Overall the Federation is not the "good guy" act in the series. There are "good guys" in it, but mostly it is just a bloated, greedy bureaucracy. And it is always good to see the Federation get smacked around with its own weaponry for being arrogant enough to think they could violate the Antarctic Treaty with impunity.
One of the things I like most about Gundam is that there typically aren't defined 'bad guys' in the series. Apart from the primary cast, there usually aren't any good guys, either. The 'Good Guys' that start off the series (the Federation, Titans, Earth Alliance, the guys who commissioned the Gundams in Gundam Wing), and who the primary cast tend to be fighting for (and usually with their hardware), pretty much always turn out to be just as, if not more evil than Zeon/ZAFT/EarthSphere/Oz (nukes, poison gas, colony drops). 0080 really exemplifies this. Who do you root for? The Federation, who are breaking a treaty and endangering a colony, or the Zeon, who attacked and smuggled in weapons on the suspicion of treaty breaking?

It's gotten worse as the years go by, with the badguys becoming more defined (the genocidal war against non-coordinators, for example. I don't remember the Zeon calling for the the eradication of non-Newtypes, but then I haven't watched the series in a while).
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I haven't seen any UC Gundam due to my not being able to find it anywhere without purchasing it outright, and I'm not one to spend a hundred bucks on something I haven't even seen a few minutes of. But it is something on my list.

I however actually don't mind Wing and Seed, hell I'll even go so far to say I enjoy Wing and Seed. Yes I know they have extremely large flaws, but hell I still like em. Wing because it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion and Seed because I think its fun popcorn TV.

That probably puts me in the minority around here, of course I don't particularily mind that.

:P
Image[
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Xess wrote:I haven't seen any UC Gundam due to my not being able to find it anywhere without purchasing it outright, and I'm not one to spend a hundred bucks on something I haven't even seen a few minutes of. But it is something on my list.

I however actually don't mind Wing and Seed, hell I'll even go so far to say I enjoy Wing and Seed. Yes I know they have extremely large flaws, but hell I still like em. Wing because it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion and Seed because I think its fun popcorn TV.

That probably puts me in the minority around here, of course I don't particularily mind that.

:P
If nothing else, watch Char's Counterattack. It's one of the pinnacles of Gundam movies, and puts to shame anything Wing of Seed have ever done. I'd dare say that going so far as to purchase it will not be a waste of time or money.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

General Zod wrote:If nothing else, watch Char's Counterattack. It's one of the pinnacles of Gundam movies, and puts to shame anything Wing of Seed have ever done. I'd dare say that going so far as to purchase it will not be a waste of time or money.
Indeed, but I'm a completist. I want to watch the preceding movies first.

However I have no doubts that the UC Gundams will become my favorite once I have seen them. But I also don't think that will make me hate Wing or Seed with the same fervor as some people. Very rarely does my finding something new to enjoy make me enjoy the old any less.
Image[
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

VF5SS wrote:Quess has to die because Chein dies because of Hathaway! Chein has to dies because then the magic T gets to save the Earth!
On one hand, I like happy endings and it supports Amuro's belief that humanity has the potential to be good and is worth saving.

On the other hand, you're right — it screws up the continuity. Besides messing with the events that lead to the Magic T, what's going to cause Hathaway to hate the Federation and lead into Hathaway's Flash?
Shadowhawk wrote: Hey, my Perfect Grade Aile Strike Gundam looks pretty damned slick. :)

And the mechanics are amazing. I hope future PG kits benefit from it.
You're right, the Strike Gundam is a beautiful machine. I'll amend my statement to say that all the SEED mechs that weren't designed by Kunio Okawara are pretty slick. They're unfortunately a tiny island of coolness in a vast ocean of crap.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Quess has to die because Chein dies because of Hathaway! Chein has to dies because then the magic T gets to save the Earth!

On one hand, I like happy endings and it supports Amuro's belief that humanity has the potential to be good and is worth saving.

On the other hand, you're right — it screws up the continuity. Besides messing with the events that lead to the Magic T, what's going to cause Hathaway to hate the Federation and lead into Hathaway's Flash?
It's not just that one sequence that's different in Beltochika. I think Chen dies in another manner, and to be honest, there's a lot in the federation for Hathaway to hate it.[/quote]
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Man I hate the whole, "You must be this much of a bastard to join the Earth Federation Forces!" With MS Igloo, the whole concept has basically become a parody of itself. To the point where Federation officers are shown as being ruthless and goddamn stupid at the same time. I swear the last episode of Igloo goes like this:

"Har har! It's the Zudah! You suck!"

"I runz away in my Zudah!"

"WTF? You can't stop GMs, noob! ZOMG!! We explode!"

"I'm better than GMs, I explode with Aryan honor!"
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

If I recall, Zimmad's EMS-04 Zudah first went up against Zeonic's MS-05 Zaku I for production Pre-OYW, and it lost...

The whole EMS-10 project was nothing other than a propaganda ploy. At this point(Odessa), Zeon had for all effective purposes lost the war on Earth. The EMS-10 was an attempt to bolster they're own forces and intimidate the Feds. It may have also been a way to divert attention away from other projects like the Dom and Gelgoog. The episode's extra seems to believe that Zeonic leaked the information on 04...

Also, we've seen Feds act like that in most of the other series too. Seems as neutral as always to me.