Unity III: Against All Odds, Redux (Complete)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Ghost Rider wrote:Also liked this ending. Such a great and fitting ending to the trilogy :D
Thank you. After all the two have to go through during those three stories, to give them a happy ending seemed the only choice. Plus I just love those two to pieces. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Arrow wrote:Absolutely excellent ending.
Thank you very much!
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

rhoenix wrote:The fight between Annika and Mara Jade, Sisko and the Emperor, and the fairy tale that Annika is telling Sebastian...all perfectly done.
Thank you, it was lots of fun to do.
rhoenix wrote: Excellent work, Sonnenburg. I look forward to what else you have to redux.
Starting tomorrow is Paradise Lost, and it will require seatbelts because of the speed it's going to be hitting at:
Friday PM: Parts 1-8
Saturday AM: Parts 9-16
Saturday PM: Parts 17-24
Sunday AM: Parts 25-30
Sunday PM: Parts 31-39
Monday AM: Part 40

It's set fifteen years after the end of AAO, and will answer some of the lingering questions from AAO, like who is Jorri, what was the meaning of Skywalker's "unworthy" remark, and what happened to Annika after she sent Sebastian away. It features the incorporation of a new powerful enemy from the Star Wars canon (and I don't mean the Vong) and the first steps on the journey of a boy on Tatooine to try and become everything Sisko and Q have talked about... and if you can count on one thing, it won't be a very linear journey. :)

Oh, and Luke will be in it too. "Which one of you dead men hurt my wife."
Chuck

Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Great chapters!!
I especially liked Picard's death. Palpatine can chide him, but in the end, it is he who is far more a pawn in destiny's game than Picard (who is willing to accept, not demand his role).
Picard looked up at him, and gave the most knowing grin of his life. “Go right ahead, your highness,” he said. “But if you do... I shall become more powerful than even you can possibly imagine.” The Emperor glared at him, but it changed nothing. “Five... being the sum of two and three. The light and the dark, the two that will struggle. And the three: the one who created, the one who preserved, and the one who destroyed.” He chuckled a little. “I’m afraid there is no room for you among the five, your highness... though we thank you for playing the part that destiny required.”
Who were the 5? I was assuming they are the 5 Q tested? Going by Sisko's comments in the last chapter, I'd guess Sisko was the one who created and Seven is the light. I'd guess Janway would be the dark. That would leave Picard and Data. Would Data be the one who destroyed and Picard the one who preserved?
I really did forget just how good these chapters were. Sisko taking over Palpatines body was a tremendously good idea. I know it was a ton of work, but thanks so much for the rewrites. I can't believe you rewrote all three of them, and I haven't sent a new chapter of mine in since December :oops: .
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:Great chapters!!
I especially liked Picard's death. Palpatine can chide him, but in the end, it is he who is far more a pawn in destiny's game than Picard (who is willing to accept, not demand his role).
For those that have read all six stories, I think it's easy to see why Picard laughs, that even though the man looks like a giant he is in truth very small in the grand scheme.
Star Empire wrote: Who were the 5? I was assuming they are the 5 Q tested? Going by Sisko's comments in the last chapter, I'd guess Sisko was the one who created and Seven is the light. I'd guess Janway would be the dark. That would leave Picard and Data. Would Data be the one who destroyed and Picard the one who preserved?
They were the 5 Q tested, and this is pretty much it, yes. In mythology, the light and dark as enemies is obviously common; Seven is the light because she offered love to that which came through the wormhole, Janeway is the dark because she offered hate. The thing about the light and the dark is that it very easily can be either way; it was just as likely that Seven could have succumbed to darkness instead, but she didn't.

The concept of the three being creator, preserver, and destroyer is also a common one, such as in Hinduism. Sisko is obviously the creator, as he instigated the return of Mara and set things in motion, and took an active roll in pushing towards Unity, finally directly stepping in for the final moment. Data is the destroyer; he would either cause the end of the New Alliance, or the Empire, but it would all turn on his decisions. Picard is the preserver, who will be responsible for sharing his wisdom and insights when it is demanded.
Star Empire wrote: I really did forget just how good these chapters were. Sisko taking over Palpatines body was a tremendously good idea. I know it was a ton of work, but thanks so much for the rewrites. I can't believe you rewrote all three of them, and I haven't sent a new chapter of mine in since December :oops: .
Thank you very much. This has been a very long and hard project, but it's been a lot of fun at the same time.

One week from today and the door closes on this for good, and as I finish these up I feel that this is something I can be proud of, that I saw it to fullest flower. Barring some ridiculous pipedream, I've taken it as far as I feel I can, and that's a very satisfying feeling. And it also has reminded me why I wanted to tell the stories of these characters so much, because of how much I liked them. As strange as it is, there's something satisfying in giving Luke and Seven the one universe where they were allowed to be together. :)
Chuck

rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Sonnenburg wrote:One week from today and the door closes on this for good, and as I finish these up I feel that this is something I can be proud of, that I saw it to fullest flower. Barring some ridiculous pipedream, I've taken it as far as I feel I can, and that's a very satisfying feeling. And it also has reminded me why I wanted to tell the stories of these characters so much, because of how much I liked them. As strange as it is, there's something satisfying in giving Luke and Seven the one universe where they were allowed to be together.
From the sounds of it, you didn't have too much editing to do with the last installment, if it's going to be wrapped up and done with in only a week. ;)

More seriously though, excellently done. One thing I always look for in a story is whether or not the feeling that the author truly enjoys what they're writing shines through - in your series of stories, it truly does, which makes the stories themselves that much better.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You know, I really hate Price :)

And that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. But I'll ask it in the DOF thread when you post the final chapter :)
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

once again, outstanding..... and the part about the fed ship (actually I'll PM this question so as not to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't read it all).

CERC
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I do have two questions about the final chapter: Annika shuts her force prescence down, when she fights Darth Whind leading Luke et al to assume she's dead. Why couldn't he still sense Sebastion's prescence? And also why didn't Annika drop her force cloak after Whind was dead? Letting Luke know she was alive?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Crazedwraith wrote:I do have two questions about the final chapter: Annika shuts her force prescence down, when she fights Darth Whind leading Luke et al to assume she's dead. Why couldn't he still sense Sebastion's prescence? And also why didn't Annika drop her force cloak after Whind was dead? Letting Luke know she was alive?
Reabsorbing that armor would have taken time, and it was likely that the cloak blocked her entire body from the Force, and that'd include Sebastian. She could have forgotten to do so as well, or maybe to avoid detection by the Emperor.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:I do have two questions about the final chapter: Annika shuts her force prescence down, when she fights Darth Whind leading Luke et al to assume she's dead. Why couldn't he still sense Sebastion's prescence? And also why didn't Annika drop her force cloak after Whind was dead? Letting Luke know she was alive?
Like Dalton said, she wasn't really thinking about it. She had no idea Luke was on the planet until Ben told her, and so she never considered that he might have thought she had died. When she spoke to Ben, then her only thought was to run, she didn't really put it together until she saw the ship leaving.

As for Sebastian, at the time he's still a part of her, so I figured he'd be covered as well.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Chris OFarrell wrote:You know, I really hate Price :)
That's a first; I don't think anyone's commented on her.
Chuck

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Sonnenburg wrote:
Well, her rant that the Empire wouldn't have attacked if the Feddies hadn't bulked up Starfleet was stupidly naive, and her idea that Starfleet shouldn't be military is just plain stupid. And did she just take the droids into the void between galaxies? :wtf: Can even Star Wars ships survive such a journey?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Trogdor wrote:Can even Star Wars ships survive such a journey?
Well, the outbound flight project was suposed to. And the Vong came from another galaxy. So I'd say yes.

I'm quite happy with the fate of the protector myself. It perhaps ought to have picked up a few more people before leaving, and maybe a few more ships, but it's otherwise cool.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Trogdor wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:
Well, her rant that the Empire wouldn't have attacked if the Feddies hadn't bulked up Starfleet was stupidly naive, and her idea that Starfleet shouldn't be military is just plain stupid.
Fair enough.
Trogdor wrote: And did she just take the droids into the void between galaxies? :wtf: Can even Star Wars ships survive such a journey?
Like Prozac the Robert said, it was my understanding that it must be possible because of Outbound Flight.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Prozac the Robert wrote:
Trogdor wrote:Can even Star Wars ships survive such a journey?
Well, the outbound flight project was suposed to. And the Vong came from another galaxy. So I'd say yes.

I'm quite happy with the fate of the protector myself. It perhaps ought to have picked up a few more people before leaving, and maybe a few more ships, but it's otherwise cool.
Thanks! :)
Chuck