Payola - how common is it these days?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Joe
Space Cowboy

Payola - how common is it these days?

Post by Joe »

If this is more appropriate in N&P, please move it there.

I know there was a time in the U.S. where a band couldn't get its records played unless someone was lining the jockeys' pockets, but the absolute shit quality of radio today combined with the fact that there is decent rock and roll music out there leads me to suspect that it's more prolific than ever before. Nickelback (I'm still waiting for an apology, Canadians) and Good Charlotte (though we have much to apologize for, as well) both still can make hits after over five years of sucking - how can there not be some sort of bribery going on here? Plus, I believe one of the major labels got caught in a HUGE payola scandal a year ago.

Anyone with more knowledge on this subject care to comment? How common is it, and is it ever going to go away?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Uh... like 90% of all radio stations in the country are owned by one company. And each of their stations have quota lists for what songs need to get played how often every day. "Payola" is more alive now than ever.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

These days it's a little more elaborate. Instead of slipping the DJ or station owner a few bills to play your song, you get your lawyer, PR guys, and record label to work a deal with the media guys who own the radio station chains. Money & other shit get exchanged, and they agree to play your song 300 times every month in certain markets. And that's why you hear Nickelback 10 times every day on every fucking station.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

That's really the only explanation for Nickelback. "Photograph" is a absolutely horrendous single, so bad that it pretty much defines everything that is rotten in what masquerades as modern "rock," yet it gets so much radio play month after month.

Is that what occurred with respect to that Hoobastank song from two summers ago, "The Reason?" That motherfucker got cycled in 20-30 times a day on every station and now it makes me want to vomit every time I hear it.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Does anyone know someone who doesn't hate Nickelback? Just about every single person I've ever talked to about music hates the greasy fuckers, yet they still get constant airplay.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

A young friend (about 15) of mine likes them. Of course he's a "rebel" who watches Video Hits religiously.

In Australia, real music fans watch Rage on the ABC. VH has songs that are edited for time and content, lots of wanky crap with wanky hosts. Rage shit on VH. But that's my opinion.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Joe wrote:Does anyone know someone who doesn't hate Nickelback? Just about every single person I've ever talked to about music hates the greasy fuckers, yet they still get constant airplay.
I had a girlfriend a few years ago that liked them, back when they first got popular over here. Sad thing is, she played guitar, too. She should've known better.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Sony was recently conviced for this payola problem, and it continues to grow everyday.

here
is what sony was convicted of doing
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Joe wrote:Does anyone know someone who doesn't hate Nickelback? Just about every single person I've ever talked to about music hates the greasy fuckers, yet they still get constant airplay.
They got pelted with bottles and other trash in Portugal. :) Aparently Portugal hates them too. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!