Pick's Art and Stuff Thread 5 - DEAD - No More Posts Please

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:
Kuja wrote:And Umber, you already have two women hanging off your every word, do you have any idea what a ladies' man you could be if you came out of the library once in a while?
*SNIP*

Couldn't resist jumping line order to take this joke before someone else does :P
Oh. Oohhhhh. That's harsh. :lol:
JADAFETWA
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That is harsh. Hyral's answer was sort of what I expected, but I wanted to make sure.

And Chibi-Hoquer looks just plain ruffled by Kamina's 'generosity'. :D

In fact, these are all pretty damn funny; the Shader one, for example.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

These are all great! I love fourth wall breaking! :lol:
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

[img
Last edited by Pick on 2007-10-01 08:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Hah hah! I should've guessed. :lol:

Hyral, how does it feel to be a dragon in the midst of a bunch of dogs and kittens? (I refer of course, to the series of totemic creatures.) :wink:
JADAFETWA
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Aaaaw. Poor Hyral. That's so.... *places on psychology glasses* Well, for one we can tell someone had a traumatic childhood/teenage 'love' life and took refuge in monetary/intellectual matters to avoid the pain of rejection. Typical case.

*removes glasses*

:wink:

And yeah I always wondered if Zixer never noticed that spitting irritates everyone else or if he just doesn't care or something.

EDIT- Hm, seems my continuity glasses came off when my psych ones were on. Fixed.

EDIT2- Hmmm... Hyral needs a little Tie in Half-Windsor Knot to complete the Adventures Of Young Donald Trump look. :P
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Naaa
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Is that what God looks like in your universe?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Rye wrote:Is that what God looks like in your universe?
If so then hopefully in this one, too. That sure beats 'Old White Guy In Sandals'.

And I'm shocked that my Psychology Glasses failed. I paid several dollars for them and they've worked 3 out of 3 times before.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Maybe if it actually looked like me :P.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Pick wrote:
*Checks member pic thread*

It actually does. I realized who it was almost immediately but wasn't as quick-witted as Rye, so it's got to at least resemble you in some way where my subconciousness picked up on it enough to recall six months ago or whenever that I last saw the Member Pictures Thread.
Last edited by Duckie on 2006-06-11 08:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Pick wrote:
OMG, she is a god.

:P

That does, indirectly, raise an interesting point; does religion exist in the DC universe? I don't recall any mention of it in the story so far.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Noble Ire wrote: OMG, she is a god.
What, did you think a mortal could output with any regularity such consistantly great literature and artwork of so many disciplines? How naive are you? :P

Yes I'd like to second the religion question. Seems so far all the curses we've heard are secular, like Yasterhu, and cursing is a big part of religion in the common speech of humans. But of course that also brings up what the Azzarn say in bed, since "Oh Yasterhu" sort of is a mood killer what with the destroyed and gutted town... Okay I've a one-track mind, I'll admit it. :wink:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

MRDOD wrote:But of course that also brings up what the Azzarn say in bed, since "Oh Yasterhu" sort of is a mood killer what with the destroyed and gutted town... Okay I've got a one-track mind, I'll admit it. :wink:
Zaster? Crags? Castervak?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Pick wrote:
Hey, you're blonde and a girl, right? ;)
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:That does, indirectly, raise an interesting point; does religion exist in the DC universe? I don't recall any mention of it in the story so far.
And don't expect any :wink:. The closest you're going to get is the Zaa's generic and somewhat metaphorical reverence for the mountains, and the general concept that you dream forever once you die. The reasoning behind the latter is that when your mind isn't busy taking care of the body it's off dreaming, so once you die and it doesn't have anything to take care of any more, that's what it'll be doing from then on. Even then they're not particularly confident, it's more one of those "that sounds about right, so we'll go with that for now" perspectives.

Also, DOD, I wouldn't call Yasterhu a "town", per se. I'd definitely refer to it as a city. It was a target designed to be impressive. It was probably the fourth or fifth largest Llanlleian community.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

And don't expect any :wink: . The closest you're going to get is the Zaa's generic and somewhat metaphorical reverence for the mountains, and the general concept that you dream forever once you die. The reasoning behind the latter is that when your mind isn't busy taking care of the body it's off dreaming, so once you die and it doesn't have anything to take care of any more, that's what it'll be doing from then on. Even then they're not particularly confident, it's more one of those "that sounds about right, so we'll go with that for now" perspectives.
Interesting, and quite refreshing (all too often, gods are used as Deus Ex Machina in Fantasy).

Nevertheless, if it isn't tied to religious mythology, the question is raised: Do the Azzarn regard magic the same way we regard science, as a basic, immutable part of the world, without a driving will or moral basis?
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:Interesting, and quite refreshing (all too often, gods are used as Deus Ex Machina in Fantasy).
I thought it was also important because so much of my story reflects moral perspective, and gods would make that not only more complicated, but also way more stupid 8).
Nevertheless, if it isn't tied to religious mythology, the question is raised: Do the Azzarn regard magic the same way we regard science, as a basic, immutable part of the world, without a driving will or moral basis?
Yes. They view science and magic as being essentially two parts of the same thing. They can use science to better understand magic, and magic to better understand science. Only once you understand the nature of something and the principles it operates under can you begin to manipulate it.

For instance, healers. A healer needs to know the construction of the body (like a human doctor) before any healing magic is going to be effective/beneficial --not only to actually have an effect, but to make it have the desired effect. This is difficult and requires a particular kind of mind, just like any kind of magic. There's also different degrees of capability. Bemia can heal very well, and with minimal peripheral damage. On the other hand, those with enough magical touch to be able to change things, but not help things can become botch-healers, which is actually an offensive technique. That is, it's like healing magic, but the intent is to manipulate the tissues to cause random massive internal damage, basically by instigating undirected alterations (which aren't necessarily bad, but the chances of it helping are..... not good. :lol:)

Ha ha, tangent... my point is, they need science or they don't know what to do to yield an workable or effective magical technique. They can't change a random object they don't understand, or at the very least not with any accuracy.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I thought it was also important because so much of my story reflects moral perspective, and gods would make that not only more complicated, but also way more stupid 8) .
That makes sense; were I to write a Fantasy tale, I might think of it the same way.

However, if DC reflects you're own moral perspective...

OMG, ur a Cannibal!

The Rift
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Noble Ire wrote:
I thought it was also important because so much of my story reflects moral perspective, and gods would make that not only more complicated, but also way more stupid 8) .
That makes sense; were I to write a Fantasy tale, I might think of it the same way.

However, if DC reflects you're own moral perspective...

OMG, ur a Cannibal!

The No Gods perspective really makes sense. If you're trying to go for a grey or 'edgy' type of morality having ultimate arbitrators of morality or even paragons of opposing moral systems is rather retarded.

Now, Greek-esque fallible Gods could work for Dark Councelors, but they don't seem to fit in the setting.

And that's untrue, Pick could either be a cannibal or a vegetarian. A jackbooted, orwellian vegetarian.

But what really gets me in all honesty is that Pick writes Edge. I mean, you do, in fact, write the entire story? So you can't write a character smarter than yourself. It just doesn't work. Trust me, I know these things. That's why D&D characters with high Int are hard to roleplay. Anyhow, so Edge is pretty smart, neh? He manipulates all these people. So therefore Pick must be a fricking genius too.

That's unfair. Now you're like a triple threat- writing, drawing, and smarterizing. Christ, learn to share, woman! I said this back when I thought you only had the first two :wink:

I'm totally like not sucking up or anything to prepare for when I eventually ask to get advance copies of updates. No. Not at all. I can quit reading any time I want. :)
Last edited by Duckie on 2006-06-11 09:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

[quote="Noble Ir
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:Yes. They view science and magic as being essentially two parts of the same thing. They can use science to better understand magic, and magic to better understand science. Only once you understand the nature of something and the principles it operates under can you begin to manipulate it.

For instance, healers. A healer needs to know the construction of the body (like a human doctor) before any healing magic is going to be effective/beneficial --not only to actually have an effect, but to make it have the desired effect. This is difficult and requires a particular kind of mind, just like any kind of magic. There's also different degrees of capability. Bemia can heal very well, and with minimal peripheral damage. On the other hand, those with enough magical touch to be able to change things, but not help things can become botch-healers, which is actually an offensive technique. That is, it's like healing magic, but the intent is to manipulate the tissues to cause random massive internal damage, basically by instigating undirected alterations (which aren't necessarily bad, but the chances of it helping are..... not good. :lol:)

Ha ha, tangent... my point is, they need science or they don't know what to do to yield an workable or effective magical technique. They can't change a random object they don't understand, or at the very least not with any accuracy.
That is a very awesome variation on magical rules.
JADAFETWA
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

I imagine Syvorians find it easier to learn healing magic then, since a really dedicated person could examine his meals first

:wink:

And I wish I thought of your system of magic first. That's so much cooler than "Zomg I Will This To Occur!". And Botch Healing fits with my idea of magic: Minimal effort for maximum kills.

Magic in my universe would be a very violent thing. Two people clash magically and the stronger one overwhelms and snaps the spine or breaks an artery or the brainstem of the weaker. Fireballs and the like are too slow, too crude and flashy nonsense for impressing people, not getting down and killing a man before he can kill you first. Basically it looks like the two of them just stare at eachother and eventually one dies.

That's how I see botch-healing happening, really. Althoguh maybe yours doesn't have grand magical duels of willpower between people. Am I close?
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Thank you, Kuja!

As for botch-healing, not quite, DOD. For one, healing magic requires physical contact, and generally it's not an immediate death. It's useful, however, for causing massive hemmorhaging and dissolving bone. Breaking down internal structures is a fairly straightforward magical application. Specific targeting might be possible with better BHers, but for the most part we're talking about those without the capability to become true, beneficient healers.

Better mages can, however, pretty much do whatever the fuck they want. Magic is ridiculously powerful. Sadly, though, defensive magic is generally astoundingly inferior to offensive magic, so even the better mages get their day in the sun and then fall with the rest. That is why Lauer's bands were thought to be able to end the war forever (and perhaps, indeed, they shall... .)
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ah so both Offensive Magic and Botch-Healing lack pinpoint targeting with telekinesis/moving 'force' type stuff which would make the whole "brainsquish" thing the best tactic. Interesting.

And I hope just because everyone else is slightly quicker with firing off praise before I can do it doesn't look like I'm just me tooing/echoing comments. I hope that won't damage my
I'm totally like not sucking up or anything to prepare for when I eventually ask to get advance copies of updates. No. Not at all. I can quit reading any time I want.
chances. :P