Morning dreams

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sofia
Padawan Learner

Morning dreams

Post by Sofia »

So, this morning I woke up at 6, went back to sleep, had an incredibly vivid (and scary!) dream about a pervo schizophrenic robot, and woke up again. It got me thinking; it seems that my most vivid dreams happen in the morning, after I've already woken up once. I'm not as deeply asleep, so maybe real life mixing with the dream adds to the clarity of it? (I was worried that my sisters eating breakfast downstairs would be visited by the schizo perv robot).

Does anyone else have their most vivid dreams in the morning? Could there be any biological reason for it?
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I've always figured you have your most vivid dreams in the morning because you're closest to waking up in the morning. You remember them better.
Sofia
Padawan Learner

Post by Sofia »

Yeah. If that's true, I hate to think how many dreams I've had at night that I may have forgotten ...

Dreams are great fun to remember and relate, esp. if you deliciously strange ones. :)
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

Sofia wrote:Yeah. If that's true, I hate to think how many dreams I've had at night that I may have forgotten ...

Dreams are great fun to remember and relate, esp. if you deliciously strange ones. :)
I've had nights where I actually remember three or four dreams when I wake in the morning. It's usually after a long period of lacking sleep, though. It's interesting to have dreams lead into each other, though. I had a dream where me and my dumbshit friends were hanging out, and we decided to go down to our old school and play football. I was, of course, kicking ass, since all my friends are kind of little, and I could basically walk in a touchdown with the other team hanging on me. Then, things got all stormy, and we're dumbasses, so we just sort of hung around and kept playing, thinking the rain and lightning just added to the atmosphere and the fun of it. Then, there was a fucking tornado, and we all booked it like crazy. I was actually trying to break into some stranger's house to hide from the damned thing, but I didn't quite make it, and the twister kicked my ass.

Then I woke up in bed, into another dream. It took me a bit to figure it out, but generally, I figure out I'm dreaming when a light doesn't work or something. This time, it wasn't that, it was just how oddly time was passing. Eventually, I thought I had it figured out: I figured I'd actually died in the tornado, and this was a dream that was simply the last few seconds of brain functions before everything went poof, and all bodily functions ceased. I asked my brother if this was the case, and he apologized, but said it was.

It was shit, because I didn't want to be dead. I thought about all the bloody peoples I'd never get to say goodbye to, including my dumbfuck friends, my brother, sister, family, my girlfriend, all the Amandas I know... it was shit, because I knew I had shit to say, and the best I could do was talk to my dream-facade of them.

Eventually, the dream was coming to an end, and everything went all blurry and dark... and I figured this was finally it, I was going to be completely dead. Then I realized that death felt surprisingly warm and comfy, and then that my dream had tricked me. I felt good that day, too, because I wasn't dead, so all my shit wouldn't end up completely unresolved.

It was a wicked dream, and I was scared as all fuck, but it actually improved my appreciation for life, so I'm not too pissed. Although I still gave my brother one smack for lying to me in my dream, since that is something he'd do in real life. In fact, he tried to convince me that day that I had died, and this was just another dream, and that I'd be stuck in slipping into new dreams for all eternity.
Camel
BANNED

Post by Camel »

The only dreams you remember are REM dreams. The last dream I had is always the one I remember, if I remember it at all.
I have limited knowledge on this. A brief glancing blow of sorts..

Your "higher" brain is shutting down and all that is left is the primitive brain functions. Your dream will be limited to retarded situations and unrealistic factors. The one thing of interest to you: ..
Your basic unintelligent brain is completely honest. What you actually believe and think is there. No rational "bullshit" in there. Your dreams give a brief window into you own fears. No new information is acquired.

If anything, your dreams are a time of reflection. Comparing already established values against the new ones for that day.

You only remember the most vivid parts (the dream). The saying that you should "sleep on it" is entirely based on this.

I have said not nearly enough and too much. Blah :evil:
The following statement is false:
The previous statement is true.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I've read somewhere (I can't for the life of me remember where) that you only can remember a dream you had a few minutes before you're waking up.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Mange wrote:I've read somewhere (I can't for the life of me remember where) that you only can remember a dream you had a few minutes before you're waking up.
I'll second that, even if it's only anecdotal. Invariably, the only dreams I've remembered are ones I've woken up out of.