Box Office Round-Up: Half-Assed Edition

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Box Office Round-Up: Half-Assed Edition

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm tired, so excuse me if it's not full of spectacular wit and comedy. But someone's got to do it.

1) Cars
Weekend Gross: $60,119,509
Percent Change: N/A
Theater Count: 3,985
Average: $15,086
Total Gross: $60,119,509
Budget: N/A
Week: 1

A Disney/Pixar film opening at first place? No suprise there.

2) The Break Up
Weekend Gross: $20,325,790
Percent Change: -48.1%
Theater Count:3,075 (+5)
Average: $6,610
Total Gross: $73,926,040
Budget: $52 million
Week: 2

I've seen nothing but favorable reviews for this romantic comedy, and it broke even on the first week. Whoever green-lit this picture is no doubt giving themselves a raise.

3) X-Men: The Last Stand
Weekend Gross: $16,078,578
Percent Change: -52.7%
Theater Count: 3,680 (-34)
Average: $4,369
Total Gross: $202,244,652
Budget: $210 million
Week: 3

Not a bad weekend gross, but with a sensationally bloated budget, it'll take an uncanny next few weeks to turn a profit that the executives will find amazing.

4) The Omen (2006)
Weekend Gross: $16,026,496
Theater Count: 2,723
Average: $5,885
Total Gross: $36,301,837
Budget: $25 million

You see that profit? It's all for you, Damien! Opening on Tuesday means this film had some extra time to net total gross, and again, a reasonable budget means that it will turn a very healthy profit. Take a page from the Antichrist, you muties.

5) The Da Vinci Code
Weekend Gross: $10,443,347
Percent Change: -43.9%
Theater Count: 3,319 (-438)
Average: $3,146
Total Gross: $189,171,331
Budget: $125 million
Week: 4

We've had a couple threads talking about this movie already. What's left to be said?

It's a sad existance to be Tom Hanks hair.

6) Over the Hedge
Weekend Gross: $10,221,499
Percent Change: -50.5%
Theater Count: 3,527 (-466)
Average: $2,898
Total Gross: $130,213,521
Week: 4

I'm suprised this film is still so high on the list. With no budget information, though, we've no idea how successful it's really been. Moving on...

7) A Prairie Home Companion
Weekend Gross: $4,566,293
Theater Count: 760
Average: $6,008
Total Gross: $4,566,293

Just LOOK at that screen average! It's the forth highest on the entire list!

This film has been getting a LOT of advertising for the number of screens it's on, so I assume they're planning on increasing the theater count in the coming weeks. It's been getting great reviews, so here's hoping it comes out in the green.

8) Mission: Impossible III
Weekend Gross: $3,020,816
Percent Change: -35.5%
Theater Count: 1,908 (-759)
Total Gross: $127,491,115
Budget: $150
Week: 6

Ahahahahahahaha, Tom Cruise! Where's your precious Scientologist powers to save you now? I'd love to see MI3 stop circulation entirely without turning a profit, and my wish might just come true.

9) RV
Weekend Gross: $1,910,564
Percent Change: -40.4%
Theater Count: 1,622 (-559)
Average: $1,177
Total Gross: $64,921,678
Budget: $50
Week: 7

Meh.

10) Poseidon
Weekend Gross: $1,833,493
Percent Change: -47.5%
Theater Count: 1,724 (-996)
Average: $1,063
Total Gross: $54,928,443
Budget: $160
Week: 5

Biggest flop this year? Probably.

BONUS:

11) An Inconvenient Truth
Weekend Gross: $1,504,701
Percent Change: +10.9%
Theater Count: 122 (+45)
Average: $12,333
Total Gross: $3,983,071
Week: 3

Boasting the second biggest per-screen average of all films currently in theaters- apparently, Al Gore and global warming combined congeal into an informative (non-boring?) film.

HUH:

13) The Shaggy Dog
Weekend Gross: $832,370
Percent Change: +440.5%
Theater Count: 308 (+77)
Average: $2,702
Total Gross: $59,196,711
Week: 14

Can someone please explain to me what the almighty fuck is going on? :wtf:
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

7) A Prairie Home Companion
Weekend Gross: $4,566,293
Theater Count: 760
Average: $6,008
Total Gross: $4,566,293

Just LOOK at that screen average! It's the forth highest on the entire list!

This film has been getting a LOT of advertising for the number of screens it's on, so I assume they're planning on increasing the theater count in the coming weeks. It's been getting great reviews, so here's hoping it comes out in the green.
Hazzah for GK and crew! (dances) really hope this goes over big and maybe better then expected. There really is a wealth of comedy and story the lieks of which Hollywood has never seen in GK's own little world, and it would be amazing to see more of it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Camel
BANNED

Post by Camel »

I would have expected Davinci code to do a lot better than that. I actually enjoyed the book, never mind the apparent bullshit that it contained. In spite of that, it had enormous media attention for years prior to the movie. You would have thought that seeing the movie would have been every ones first priority. Maybe it was just hype and no one cared, or maybe the catholic's requested ban had more effect than I realized.

The original Poseidon wasn't even that good. It was a retarded idea to remake it. You cannot recreate Titanic. They got what they deserved.

The disney cartoon is leading the pack. God damn. It does look entertaining I will admit.
The following statement is false:
The previous statement is true.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Shaggy Dog thing is probably just a matter that it got nearly 80 screens back from the previous week and it had a more family friendly crowd in to spill over from Cars. That and its prior weeks numbers were so dismal it was easy to get a big % up.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

I may have to go see Prairie Home Companion. Garrison Keillor is really fun, in a family-friendly sort of way.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I've seen nothing but favorable reviews for this romantic comedy, and it broke even on the first week. Whoever green-lit this picture is no doubt giving themselves a raise.
What? The Break Up has a 32% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes. The critics hate this movie, although it's a hit with everyone else.

I'm surprised The Shaggy Dog is even still in theaters at this point. Didn't it come out 3 months ago? :wtf:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, I've only heard good things about The Break-Up. I still don't plan to see it, but meh.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Wow, a 100 million dollar net loss for Poseidon. How does a director or studio recover from that?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Camel wrote:I would have expected Davinci code to do a lot better than that. I actually enjoyed the book, never mind the apparent bullshit that it contained. In spite of that, it had enormous media attention for years prior to the movie. You would have thought that seeing the movie would have been every ones first priority. Maybe it was just hype and no one cared, or maybe the catholic's requested ban had more effect than I realized.
They made back their budget and then some in the domestic market. When you throw in the foreign grosses . . . Tom Hanks is pretty much laughing all the way to the bank, while being carried there atop a sedan chair made from pressed $100 bills.

<Addendum>

Ahh, here we are. From Box Office Mojo:

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $190,284,137 29.6%
+ Foreign: $452,536,356 70.4%
= Worldwide: $642,820,493

Like I said, sedan-chair made from $100 bills.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Weekend Gross: $3,020,816
Percent Change: -35.5%
Theater Count: 1,908 (-759)
Total Gross: $127,491,115
Budget: $150
Week: 6

Ahahahahahahaha, Tom Cruise! Where's your precious Scientologist powers to save you now? I'd love to see MI3 stop circulation entirely without turning a profit, and my wish might just come true.
To late the movie already turned a profit if you include world wide earnings. As the Europeans are loving this movie.

RANK DOMESTIC OVERSEAS WORLD "" TITLES (2006-2006)

0001 $ 192.2 $ 434.7 $ 626.9 Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)
0002 $ 189.2 $ 410.0 $ 599.2 Da Vinci Code, The (2006)
0003 $ 202.2 $ 135.5 $ 337.7 X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
0004 $ 127.5 $ 193.9 $ 321.4 Mission: Impossible III (2006)
from
link
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I saw The Break Up over the weekend, mostly because my mom said she would pay since she didn't want to go alone. It was alright, but that should be considered praise from me towards a romantic comedy. Usually, I find them pretty boring, but this one actually was believable, and I liked the ending. I'd recommend it if you're into that kind of movie.

As for The Omen... I'm glad it made a profit, because there's two sequels to make god dammit! And of course, the sequels will be profitable, because dumbshit teenagers like myself and my friends will crowd movie theaters everywhere to watch this shit, like the good lil consumer whores we are, primarily because it's supposed to be freaky, and most people think the antichrist must be extremely badass.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Pick wrote:Yeah, I've only heard good things about The Break-Up. I still don't plan to see it, but meh.
A critic on one of the local public radio stations said he hated the film, and actually walked out of the cinema after only twenty minutes.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

CmdrWilkens wrote:The Shaggy Dog thing is probably just a matter that it got nearly 80 screens back from the previous week and it had a more family friendly crowd in to spill over from Cars. That and its prior weeks numbers were so dismal it was easy to get a big % up.
I think the increase means the movie was sent from regular theatres to the dollar theatres. Someone who isn't interested for full price might take the kids to the dollar movie houses.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Pick wrote:Yeah, I've only heard good things about The Break-Up. I still don't plan to see it, but meh.
A critic on one of the local public radio stations said he hated the film, and actually walked out of the cinema after only twenty minutes.
Doesn't he get paid to watch movies? Wish I could walk off a case I didn't like.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Stravo wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: A critic on one of the local public radio stations [bolding mine] said he hated the film, and actually walked out of the cinema after only twenty minutes.
Doesn't he get paid to watch movies? Wish I could walk off a case I didn't like.
"Local Public Radio Stations" AKA not what I think would consititute a real professional. Or at least not from what I'm hearing of him.

Seriously, you're right; if that's your job, you sit through the damn movie. Even if you're thinking about something else, you ought to at least be present, I'd think.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I don't know if he's exactly a critic for the station, then again it could have been one of the DJs themselves who said it. It was a while ago and I wasn't paying full attention because I was listening while doing something else. Sorry, so I don't exactly know the full details of the segment (mostly it seems like the DJ talks to a specific person over the phone).

What I do know is that someone talking with the DJ or the DJ himself walked out after twenty minutes because he found the characters so unlikable, and that it was the only time he's ever walked out of a cinema.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mr. T
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. T »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What I do know is that someone talking with the DJ or the DJ himself walked out after twenty minutes because he found the characters so unlikable, and that it was the only time he's ever walked out of a cinema.
That's interesting because I saw it and I agree with the critics who have said the first half of the movie starts out promising but it goes down-hill from there. There was some good humour in there but on the whole it had nothing that separated it too much from an average romantic comedy, except for possibly how it ends.

As for the characters being unlikable well, Vince Vaughn plays the same character he plays in every movie, as does Jennifer Anniston pretty much as well, so if you couldn't stand them before, this movie won't change your mind.
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? "
-Abraham Lincoln

"I pity the fool!"
- The one, the only, Mr. T :)