Cartoon Network to air "Brainiac Attacks"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Cartoon Network to air "Brainiac Attacks"

Post by JME2 »

From Superman Homepage:
Cartoon Network has announced that they'll be airing "Superman: Brainiac Attacks", the up-coming animated film from Warner Bros. Animation, before the DVD is released on June 20th.
Fans will be able to catch "Superman: Brainiac Attacks" on Cartoon Network on Saturday, June 17th at 7:30pm, 3 days before the DVD's release.
So, we'll have a three day head start to see if it was as bad as that teaser trailer a few months bag indicated it was going to be....
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A friendly reminder to any DCAU fans; if you want to see it and/or save $20 (and based off the reviews being posted at ToonZone, that latter is probably a good bet), Superman: Brainiac Attacks airs tomorrow on Cartoon Network at 7:30 P.M.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Not even Toonami's nifty intros can make it look good...

Set faces for "disapointed"!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ice
Padawan Learner

Post by Ice »

From the Duane Capizzi interview:
The World's Finest wrote:Well, that's a tall order -- will Superman fans take my word or that of your reviewer? :-) For the die-hard fans of S:TAS, presumably the bulk of your readership, let me first say that the movie is not intended to be in continuity with the Timm-verse, despite utilizing those character and background designs. Similarly, the depiction of Lex Luthor was intentionally modeled after Gene Hackman's performance in the Donner films, to dovetail with Luthor's depiction in the upcoming Bryan Singer film. If a die-hard fan goes into 'Brainiac Attacks' with this in mind, it should be a smoother ride -- and hopefully an entertaining one.

The plot involves a classic alliance between the two big Superman rogues, Lex Luthor and Brainiac, while catching Superman at a crucial juncture: he comes to feel he's living a lie with Lois Lane, and must decide whether or not to reveal his true identity to her. While Superman juggles these heroic and personal aspects of his life, the two intersect when Lois becomes critically injured. Superman goes to the ends of the Earth and then some to save her: it's as if we took the end of the first Donner film and made it the dramatic center of our entire story, played for high emotional stakes. It's an intimate story, yet at the same time very epic.
From the sounds of it, they seemed to be going for a Superman story more in line with the films than STAS itself.
"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences." - Midori Koto
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Ice wrote:From the Duane Capizzi interview:
The World's Finest wrote:Well, that's a tall order -- will Superman fans take my word or that of your reviewer? :-) For the die-hard fans of S:TAS, presumably the bulk of your readership, let me first say that the movie is not intended to be in continuity with the Timm-verse, despite utilizing those character and background designs. Similarly, the depiction of Lex Luthor was intentionally modeled after Gene Hackman's performance in the Donner films, to dovetail with Luthor's depiction in the upcoming Bryan Singer film. If a die-hard fan goes into 'Brainiac Attacks' with this in mind, it should be a smoother ride -- and hopefully an entertaining one.

The plot involves a classic alliance between the two big Superman rogues, Lex Luthor and Brainiac, while catching Superman at a crucial juncture: he comes to feel he's living a lie with Lois Lane, and must decide whether or not to reveal his true identity to her. While Superman juggles these heroic and personal aspects of his life, the two intersect when Lois becomes critically injured. Superman goes to the ends of the Earth and then some to save her: it's as if we took the end of the first Donner film and made it the dramatic center of our entire story, played for high emotional stakes. It's an intimate story, yet at the same time very epic.
From the sounds of it, they seemed to be going for a Superman story more in line with the films than STAS itself.
That's good. I've already read The World's Finest's review, and damn would this movie suck ass if it was supposed to be in continuity.

SPOILERS
The World's Finest wrote:As soon as he arrives back, he sees Brainiac attacking and decides to go stop him before giving Lois the cure (despite being right next to the damn hospital, it would have taken him about five seconds). This is where we enter the incredibly annoying and long final fight, which seemed to go on forever. If you thought the previous fight between the two was long, this one was about eight times the length. After Lex in his Lex-o-suit has been stopped from exploding by Superman, Lex and Superman are on top of each other (how and why are they on top of each other?). At this moment, Lex says the stupidest damn thing I’ve heard out of this entire film: "Rootin' for ya, my maaan!"
Yeah, there's no way that can be in continuity. :lol:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Thanks for the reminder. I'd totally forgotten. :oops:
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Not terrible, but far from great. Luthor's different voice and more goofy personality was annoying, but the story was pretty decent. The Jimmy Olsen bits seemed both unneeded and were mildly cringeworthy. The Phantom Zone looked nothing like it did in STAS, and it would've been nice if Supes had bumped into General Zod or his Timm-verse equivilent there (can't recall his name) but I guess it wasn't really neccessary to the story. The illusion was nice, if unorginal, touch, IMHO. And I wasn't aware that Metropolis had a nuclear plant...
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I'm not a fan of goofy Luthor. I didn't really like him in the first Superman movie and i didn't like him here, either.

On the whole it's not too bad, and works as a simple standalone movie for the kids, but certainly not in the STAS universe. Which it isn't in, thankfully.

And I have to agree with the World's Finest in that these lines really did seem pretty flatly delivered. I'm normally not one to be critical of that sort of thing but it's really noticiable here IMO.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Damn, I meant to say this above. Ah well.

How does anyone in Metropolis afford insurance?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

RogueIce wrote:Damn, I meant to say this above. Ah well.
How does anyone in Metropolis afford insurance?
How does anyone in the DCUA (and to some extent the DCU) afford insurance, period?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Cej4096
Youngling

Post by Cej4096 »

I forgot this was on, but caught most of the last ten minutes or so. One big question I have that I would appreciate an answer to:
[size=0]Did Superman's kiss that revived Lois have an explanation, or was it like the movies where he would come up with powers as needed?[/size]
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Cej4096 wrote:I forgot this was on, but caught most of the last ten minutes or so. One big question I have that I would appreciate an answer to:
[size=0]Did Superman's kiss that revived Lois have an explanation, or was it like the movies where he would come up with powers as needed?[/size]
I suppose it could be that his orange tears were what did it. Or that he just became the element for a bit and managed to revive her since he started glowing orange first.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

RogueIce wrote:I'm not a fan of goofy Luthor. I didn't really like him in the first Superman movie and i didn't like him here, either.
Even if they were trying to catch the likeness of Luthor in the movie, he still wasn't that great. I especially cringed at the beginning when Luthor was in his car and gave a stupor look and whimpering about the crap that happen outside. God, that was bad.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Cej4096
Youngling

Post by Cej4096 »

RogueIce wrote:I suppose it could be that his orange tears were what did it. Or that he just became the element for a bit and managed to revive her since he started glowing orange first.
Like I said, I only saw about the last ten minutes, so that doesn't really make any sense to me. I'll take your word for it that there was at least some kind of explanation. :wink:

Thanks for the reply though.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Cej4096 wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I suppose it could be that his orange tears were what did it. Or that he just became the element for a bit and managed to revive her since he started glowing orange first.
Like I said, I only saw about the last ten minutes, so that doesn't really make any sense to me. I'll take your word for it that there was at least some kind of explanation. :wink:

Thanks for the reply though.
Ah, right. The orange bit is a side effect of whatever element it is that he went into the Phantom Zone to get that would cure him (he was sick earlier) and Lois from Brainiac's poisoning.

This element glowed orange, was orange in it's capsule thingy, and made Superman glow orange when he took it. So I suppose the theory is that Superman either "channeled" it or his glowing orange tears could heal Lois, as he started glowing and then she did too.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I'm not a fan of goofy Luthor. I didn't really like him in the first Superman movie and i didn't like him here, either.
Even if they were trying to catch the likeness of Luthor in the movie, he still wasn't that great. I especially cringed at the beginning when Luthor was in his car and gave a stupor look and whimpering about the crap that happen outside. God, that was bad.
And the fun part is that it's Powers Boothe (Grodd on JL/JLU) voicing him for the film; it doesn't even sound like him. Hell, even Tim Daly, reprising Supes for the first time since the STAS series finale (or the Superman: Rise of Apokolips video-game if you want to get specific) sounds terrible (and further reinforcing why I like George Newburn better for JL/JLU).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:Hell, even Tim Daly, reprising Supes for the first time since the STAS series finale (or the Superman: Rise of Apokolips video-game if you want to get specific) sounds terrible (and further reinforcing why I like George Newburn better for JL/JLU).
Yes, it's sad, since I do recall seeing that as a reason that people were excited about this movie.

Granted the only real experience I have with Tim Daly is the World's Finest DVD (the rest of STAS I saw far too long ago to really remember) and "grew up" with Newburn, he still sounded pretty dead in this one. He was far more "alive" in World's Finest, for instance, and I'm sure in the rest of STAS as well.

Though maybe it's because they didn't use Andrea Romano as their voice director, someone who I consider to be as much a mark of it being "real" DCAU as Bruce Timm's name in the credits (as more than just character design).

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote: and it would've been nice if Supes had bumped into General Zod or his Timm-verse equivilent there (can't recall his name) but I guess it wasn't really neccessary to the story.
Jax-Ur (a minor Kryptonian criminal not seen since COIE in mainstream DC). However, whether or not he would have bumped into Jax-Ur would have depended on where the film would have been set in STAS continuity, specifically before or after the events of "Absolute Power" (After being freed and then imprisoned during the two-part "Blasts from the Past", he and Mala were freed when an event horizon tore into the Phantom Zone. They took over a nearby alien world, prepared to invade Earth, only to be foiled by Supes and flung into the singularity).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:
Trogdor wrote: and it would've been nice if Supes had bumped into General Zod or his Timm-verse equivilent there (can't recall his name) but I guess it wasn't really neccessary to the story.
Jax-Ur (a minor Kryptonian criminal not seen since COIE in mainstream DC). However, whether or not he would have bumped into Jax-Ur would have depended on where the film would have been set in STAS continuity, specifically before or after the events of "Absolute Power" (After being freed and then imprisoned during the two-part "Blasts from the Past", he and Mala were freed when an event horizon tore into the Phantom Zone. They took over a nearby alien world, prepared to invade Earth, only to be foiled by Supes and flung into the singularity).
Except this isn't in STAS continuity. :P

If it's aiming at the movie continuity (though I'm pretty sure Pa Kent should be dead then), I thought that all three were in the Phantom Zone between 1 and 2?

Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

It seems completly pointless to me to use the series designs, even use some of the same voice actors and yet NOT set it in continuity.
Why not try to be inovative and do new designs and hire a completly different cast, at least that way they wouldnt confuse/anoy people so much.
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Hades wrote:It seems completly pointless to me to use the series designs, even use some of the same voice actors and yet NOT set it in continuity.
Why not try to be inovative and do new designs and hire a completly different cast, at least that way they wouldnt confuse/anoy people so much.
Because look at what happened with The Batman? :P

In fairness, it is getting better. Even if Riddler is some weirdo Goth freak and the Joker is just plain shit.

At any rate, it may well have been an attempt at trying to draw in the Old Crowd, although the resulting product doesn't exactly live up to expectations. Still, it could serve to bring in the younger set (who would probably enjoy this outing) into the rest of STAS and the Timmverse as a whole.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

He's so happy, so very very happy! :P

God, my brother was actually cringing in pain whenever Boothe-Luthor was talking crazy. I can't even begin to imagine Clancy Brown-voiced Luthor having that expression.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:[snip Happy Luthor]

He's so happy, so very very happy! :P

God, my brother was actually cringing in pain whenever Boothe-Luthor was talking crazy. I can't even begin to imagine Clancy Brown-voiced Luthor having that expression.
Indeed. Seriously, if you wanted to try to shoehorn this into STAS, you'd have to say that Luthor was on some pretty damn good drugs at the time, and then quit shortly thereafter.

I'd also love to know how Lois pulled off that hospital-gown-into-streetclothes trick at the end of the movie. :P

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Here's some sound clips from the movie.

"I'm soo...happy!"

"Rootin' for ya, my ma!"

Thank God they came out and said this was out of continuity. :)
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims