Meddling - The Prime Directive, what'd you replace it with?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

GunDoctor wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Wow, you're a retard. What, precisely, is going to be so valuable on a planet when we have asteroid belts to mine? Or is this too complex for your infantile worldview?
Wow, you're sooo convincing. If something is possible, an expansive tool using sapient will do it eventualy. You're right, there are tremendous resources is space, and they will be exploited. Is that any reason to let a perfectly good planet go to waste? If there's profit to be had from making contact with those primitives, and there's really no way to know untill you do, someone's going to go for it. And once there's trade, everthing else follows. Trade mission, embassy, embassy guards, etc. Once an investment has been made, there will be powerful voices in society saying, "send some lads to guard my shit!"
Yes. Planets are energy sinks, and therefore nothing but wastes of effort for interstellar powers.

I suppose you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about if I asked why we should pay an extra 60MJ/kg for stuff from this world we could conquer?
It's not about what is neccesary, it's about what is profitable. It wasn't neccesary for Europe to colonise anywhere else, but they did. 'Course I can't convince you of that any more than you can convince me that any species that gets into space suddenly becomes hippy peace-niks singing kumbya and passing a joint.
And 60MJ/kg is not going to be profitable anytime soon, so using planets is not economical. We might do it for other reasons, but not for resources in far greater abundance elsewhere, without exorbitent energy costs.
Oh my god, another bunch of savages might use the technology we trade with them to off each other or get high or some shit, what'll we do?! Sounds like oppertunity knocking to me, you got a ship with cargo capacity?
Yea, you got the spare energy for that tremendous waste of time? It's not profit. Come back when you know anything about physics.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

GunDoctor wrote:Wow, you're sooo convincing. If something is possible, an expansive tool using sapient will do it eventualy. You're right, there are tremendous resources is space, and they will be exploited. Is that any reason to let a perfectly good planet go to waste? If there's profit to be had from making contact with those primitives, and there's really no way to know untill you do, someone's going to go for it. And once there's trade, everthing else follows. Trade mission, embassy, embassy guards, etc. Once an investment has been made, there will be powerful voices in society saying, "send some lads to guard my shit!"
Why would people leave an inhabited planet alone when there are resources to be had? Because for every inhabited planet out there, there are going to be a vast amount of planets full of resources just like it that don't require us to stomp someone elses lemonade stand.

There is a profit to be had certainly by dealing with the natives, but unlike in our own history, it's driving force won't be resources. If we have achieved interstellar spaceships, resources we have in vast amounts. More than the pitiful pittance a pre-space flight civilization could possibly give us. The profit comes from the aliens themselves. People aren't going to be interested in strip mining their planet; what people are going to want is stuff unique to their civilization. In other words, cultural stuff and food stuffs if our chemistries are compatible enough. I'm somehow doubting we are going to pull an Imperial England and do the equivlent of having the finest collection of Athenian artifacts outside of the London. There isn't a point when we have so much they'd want to purchase such stuff with.
It's not about what is neccesary, it's about what is profitable. It wasn't neccesary for Europe to colonise anywhere else, but they did. 'Course I can't convince you of that any more than you can convince me that any species that gets into space suddenly becomes hippy peace-niks singing kumbya and passing a joint.
If you knew a damn thing about the history of European colonization, it was resource driven. The Spanish didn't take over Central America because they liked Mexico, they did it because of all the gold and chocolate and shit they were sending back to Europe... stuff they couldn't get in Europe. They couldn't make porcelain in Europe (and believe me, they tried to make knock offs) or have an abundance of spices, so they set up places like Hong Kong and Macao.

That's the thing. By definition if we are maintaining an interstellar economy, we have vast access to resources. There is little point in stomping some alien version of the Congoese and making them dig us up some diamonds if we can manufacture them. There is no point in having a triumphant game of shoot 'em up with the Alien Incas for their Silver lodes if we've got a hundred other planets, moons, et cetera with plenty of silver that are ready to go.

Plus, as Nitram pointed out, planetary mining on Earth scale planets is expensive compared to asteroids or even Mars sized planets. There is a line NASA officials once put out "It costs 400,001 dollars to send a kilogram of payload to the moon. One dollar for the payload and 400,000 getting it there." That's because launching from Earth is several orders of magnitude harder than launching from lesser bodies. It took a Saturn V rocket to get the Apollo 11 module to the moon from Earth and it took a pissant little rocket motor itself to get back a tiny fraction as powerful to get off the Moon and back. Why pay to land on an Earth like planet, pay for a military incursion, and then pay to get all those resources off the planet and back across interstellar space when we've damn near got a buffet of resources directly adjacent to Earth and certainly other extrasolar mining candidates that don't involve paying for a military campaign. That's where the bottom line lies.
Oh my god, another bunch of savages might use the technology we trade with them to off each other or get high or some shit, what'll we do?! Sounds like oppertunity knocking to me, you got a ship with cargo capacity?
That's because you enjoy wasting your money on pointless sadism when there is alot more profit elsewhere.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

GunDoctor wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Wow, you're a retard. What, precisely, is going to be so valuable on a planet when we have asteroid belts to mine? Or is this too complex for your infantile worldview?
Wow, you're sooo convincing. If something is possible, an expansive tool using sapient will do it eventualy. You're right, there are tremendous resources is space, and they will be exploited. Is that any reason to let a perfectly good planet go to waste?
Yes. Planets tend to have things like violent weather, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and hostile/incompatible atmospheres/life-forms/native sapients/climates. They also can't dodge, so your enemies are liable to make a beeline for them, should they choose to attack you. Not to mention getting onto them requires expensive and heavy thermal shielding to enable a vessel to survive the heat of reentry, and enormous quantities of fuel to get back up into orbit. The only way exploiting a planet would be even remotely profitable is if you built a space elevator . . . an enormous, surprisingly fragile construct you're not about to trust around primitive alien sapients.
If there's profit to be had from making contact with those primitives, and there's really no way to know untill you do, someone's going to go for it.
Planets aren't profitable unless you're willing to make massive infrastructure improvements, as stated above. And you're more likely to make those improvements to planets which aren't full of potentially resentful or overly religiously zealous natives who might get hold of some ancient 9/11 footage where flying machines brought down large towers and start wondering if the same can be done to your space elevator.

Not to mention that there's absolutely nothing a primitive alien culture can offer to a culture capable of interstellar travel. Let's go down the list.

Medicine? Nope, different biochemistries. Even if we assume that all complex life will be DNA/RNA based (or a reasonably close analogue, which is a surprisingly good assumption to make,) they will likely use a different set of proteins and amino acids than you will.

Food? Nope. See above. Not to mention you could simply take samples of their plants/animals/reasonably similar analogues and clone them using your technology.

Science? Are you kidding? These are primitives stuck to their own planet. You think they're going to have anything worth knowing?

Technology? This would earn one of those sickeningly colorful "ROFLMAO..etc...etc...etc" in 18 point font that I've seen around here on occasion. The one-note civilization that is painfully primitive in all areas except one, where they've got AWESOME POWAH is something that exists only in bad TV sci-fi. What use would you have for an ox-drawn cart if you've got a John Deere tractor? What use would you have for an obsidian-spiked club and goofy animal-skin head-dress if you've got a Colt M1911A1 and a Kevlar vest? What use would you have for a Saturn V rocket if you've got the starship Enterprise?

Land? Not even this. You're likely to not be able to throw a rock ten light-years in any direction without inadvertently wiping out at least one habitable planet. Habitable planets are the next best thing to free, and the vast majority of them will be inhabited by nothing more strenuous to overcome than single-celled cyanobacteria analogues (recall that, for the first 85% of Earth's history, the dominant life-form on Earth was blue-green algae. Furthermore, sizeable land animals didn't make an appearance on Earth for the first 93% of the planet's history.) Planets with sapient natives will be easy to avoid.
And once there's trade, everthing else follows. Trade mission, embassy, embassy guards, etc.
This assumes that the primitives have something worth trading. This isn't going to be like the native Americans and the Spaniards. It's not even going to be the British Empire versus the Zulus, or even Transnational Logging and Paper Company versus Naked Primitives living in the Amazon. It's going to be more like a Suburban American Family versus an Ant Colony.
The relative time and energy expended in getting to the Americas is nothing compared to the time and energy expenditure of getting to the Moon. You could do the former with leaky wooden boats powered by wind. You could send many tens or even a couple hundred people at a time to the Americas with such a primitive contraption. We needed an enormous rocket and a small army of technically competent people just to send three people to the Moon, only two of which actually landed. And even then, they could only stay a few days. We're going to need enormous rockets, a large army of technically competent people, and an enormous capital investment just to build a little base on the Moon for a few astronauts to spend a few months in. We'll need an even larger rocket and an even larger army of highly technical people just to send a spacecraft to Mars for a year.

An interstellar civilization will need a positively gargantuan rocket powered by extremely expensive to produce antimatter with many meters of shielding, or lots of exotic physics wankery to send a crew, or even a small robotic probe, to another star system. The expense will be such that it can only be undertaken by a Type II civilization . . . and the only way you can get to being a Type II civilization is if you've become very good at playing nicely with others. So good, in fact, that you're capable of building the up the enormous interplanetary infrastructure needed to build starships, without having to worry about some idiots with a handy asteroid smashing holes in it over some petty differences. Contrary to bad TV and movie sci-fi, a starship isn't going to be something that can be built by a crackpot and a small team of spunky protagonists living in the post-apocalypse Montana wilderness. And the more wankeriffic an interstellar civilization is, the more energy they'll require. A primitive planet will have zero to offer an interstellar civilization.

What follows is an example:

Link

In the above link, a scheme is mentioned to send a spacecraft to Alpha Centauri using a 10 million gigawatt laser shining on a 1,000 ton laser-sail space probe. Such a craft would be capable of reaching Alpha Centauri in ten years. You can easily compute how much energy will be expended in the effort. You ready for the result? Here it is:

3.1536E+24 Joules

The total power generating capacity of the entire planet Earth is only 2.275E+12 watts (Extrapolated from here.) Some simple math reveals that you would need to dedicate the entire electrical output of the planet Earth for 43,956 years to get the 3.1536E+24 Joules needed to send even a tiny probe to Alpha Centauri in ten years.

<ADDENDUM:>

Edited because the huge number represents total energy expenditure, not power. Unless you applied all that energy in one second, in which case, watts would work.
Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Post by Base Delta Zero »

One important factor in my stories is that the sheer amount of resources they have make material goods all but value-less, only the effort expended in producing them, and the most important resource is people. Thus, even a primitive civilization has value because they can be used as personnel (maybe not immediately, but eventually).

Though their technology level is pretty high, they can't build huge ringworlds or worldships. Planets may be troublesome to leave (if almost a milligram of fuel counts as 'troublesome'), but they're also pretty big, which means you can put a lot of stuff on them, i.e. bigger cities, bigger factories, bigger shields... A single Nova missile can reduce a thousand kilometer long ship (not that any exist, but...) to dust or two can collapse a battleship's shields. The same Nova missile will barely even scratch a planetary shield.

Also, you usually can't just take an uninhabited, but life supporting planet. Most planets in Ex Fragmentis that support life are inhabited, because life forms were seeded there by the Predecessors. (This also means they basically share the same physiology).

Ultimately, what you're saying is largely true, but it really depends on the situation (especially when Narrative Causality gets involved)
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

SirNitram wrote:Yes. Planets are energy sinks, and therefore nothing but wastes of effort for interstellar powers.
I'd put more stock in a planets being broken up and the raw material being used to construct Niven's wetdream of a ringworld. Even then, I'm not sure how much mass you'd really need, a friend of mine who did astrophysics did a project on this and I think he calculated that breaking up mars is all you would need (I guess in terms of raw material). That was years ago and I didn't get an elaboration (and I can't really talk to him at the moment).
And 60MJ/kg is not going to be profitable anytime soon, so using planets is not economical. We might do it for other reasons, but not for resources in far greater abundance elsewhere, without exorbitent energy costs.
I think the main reason to settle a planet is to enjoy the intangible benefits such as smelling the roses, so to speak.

You could write a fairly compelling (in my opinion) story of human interstellar society experiencing a schism between those who live and work in outer space (spacers, belters, etc) and those who settle on planets (flatlanders). It's not something new, but a story doesn't have to be new to be compelling.

You could write the saga of one (out of perhaps thousands) of space arcs that reaches a new system after a hundred years of travel, and the society that had developed on this moving asteroid splits down the middle between those who have acclimatised themselves to space and those who wish to honour their ancestors and their desire to land on a planet. Thematically you'd be exploring social schisms and division, which is a contemporary problem. Sometimes fiction is a product of the times and reflects what is going on concurrently.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stofsk wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Yes. Planets are energy sinks, and therefore nothing but wastes of effort for interstellar powers.
I'd put more stock in a planets being broken up and the raw material being used to construct Niven's wetdream of a ringworld. Even then, I'm not sure how much mass you'd really need, a friend of mine who did astrophysics did a project on this and I think he calculated that breaking up mars is all you would need (I guess in terms of raw material). That was years ago and I didn't get an elaboration (and I can't really talk to him at the moment).
The energy costs of that.. They terrify me.
I think the main reason to settle a planet is to enjoy the intangible benefits such as smelling the roses, so to speak.
Oh, definately. We're a planet-evolved species, we'll still like them. We won't invade them economically. I think I mentioned this.
You could write a fairly compelling (in my opinion) story of human interstellar society experiencing a schism between those who live and work in outer space (spacers, belters, etc) and those who settle on planets (flatlanders). It's not something new, but a story doesn't have to be new to be compelling.
Oh quite. There's more divisions than that, though. Think about societies who start on generation ships and eventually gain FTL. Will they suddenly stop being nomadic? Probably not.
You could write the saga of one (out of perhaps thousands) of space arcs that reaches a new system after a hundred years of travel, and the society that had developed on this moving asteroid splits down the middle between those who have acclimatised themselves to space and those who wish to honour their ancestors and their desire to land on a planet. Thematically you'd be exploring social schisms and division, which is a contemporary problem. Sometimes fiction is a product of the times and reflects what is going on concurrently.
This is very true. There's so many interesting things to do with these aspects of the future.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

SirNitram wrote:
Stofsk wrote:
You'd have to be SW-level, at least, and once you're there, you'll probably have artificial gravity. Moreover, the energy costs of moving things up and down gravity wells will be relatively small, correct?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Surlethe wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Stofsk wrote: I'd put more stock in a planets being broken up and the raw material being used to construct Niven's wetdream of a ringworld. Even then, I'm not sure how much mass you'd really need, a friend of mine who did astrophysics did a project on this and I think he calculated that breaking up mars is all you would need (I guess in terms of raw material). That was years ago and I didn't get an elaboration (and I can't really talk to him at the moment).
You'd have to be SW-level, at least, and once you're there, you'll probably have artificial gravity. Moreover, the energy costs of moving things up and down gravity wells will be relatively small, correct?
You still need something to power the artificial gravity generators, presumably. By CoE, that would logically be the binding energy of the object in question.

IIRC, the mass of the ringworld was supposed to be something like that of Jupiter, so that's a GBE of around 5e20 MT.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Further proof that the Eldar are smarter than the opposition. 8)

Seriously, it's odd how utterly prevelant the idea of terraformed planets being the primary source of real estate is in Sci-Fi, as opposed to looking at other possibilities.

Though, there is one point in favour of planets: if you have a functioning biosphere there and a working carbon cycle, you don't need active maintenance to keep it habitable, and thus human habitation there could potentially survive a catastrophic socio-economic collapse.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lord Zentei wrote: Further proof that the Eldar are smarter than the opposition. 8)
It's not like they did it on purpose now is it? Rather more pressing concerns than "aren't all these planets quite silly really?". Also the Exodites still try and struggle by.

Though they do have a reasonable amount of security in obscurity as well. No-one actually knows where the craftworld actually are, including each other.

The only people who seem to have deliberately taken to the mobile life is the Culture, most of whose populations live on the GSVs. (Orbitals, though prominent in the stories, are more like rural backwaters.)
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Surlethe wrote:You'd have to be SW-level, at least, and once you're there, you'll probably have artificial gravity. Moreover, the energy costs of moving things up and down gravity wells will be relatively small, correct?
It's more than that. When Niven was actually running the numbers on if he was actually going to make a Ringworld, he literally had to invent an impressive substance strong enough to make the Ring out of, simply because no material he could draw from real life remotely could handle stresses involved. To do this, his Ringworld Engineers had to use matter transmutation on a a Jupiter scale mass, cleaning out their solar system of matter.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Vendetta wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote: Further proof that the Eldar are smarter than the opposition. 8)
It's not like they did it on purpose now is it? Rather more pressing concerns than "aren't all these planets quite silly really?". Also the Exodites still try and struggle by.

Though they do have a reasonable amount of security in obscurity as well. No-one actually knows where the craftworld actually are, including each other.
I was being facetious, you know.

GunDoctor
Youngling

Post by GunDoctor »

I suppose you wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about if I asked why we should pay an extra 60MJ/kg for stuff from this world we could conquer?

Yea, you got the spare energy for that tremendous waste of time? It's not profit. Come back when you know anything about physics.
As if we're going to have FTL anytime soon either. If interstellar travel is possible then the energy required to move goods up gravity wells is most likely insignificant, in comparison. Of course there's no way to be sure until we get there, for now this is all intellectual masturbation. I refuse to say "It will be extraordinarily difficult; therefore we will never do it!" Physicists said the same thing about going to them moon.

And no, I don't really think any hypothetical interstellar government will be that interested in populated planets, unless they're strategically significant for some reason, but commerce WILL be. It's a fucking market, and any free system of markets will automatically expand its envelope of trade, unless there's some reason it's impossible.

And for the last fucking time, Europe didn't get anything it NEEDED from its colonies, they shore as fuck got shit they WANTED. The resources acquired were helpful in expanding European power in some cases, but not absolutely necessary. For that matter the gold and silver looted from the new world actually did more damage than good to the Spanish economy by inflating the supply. Spain ended up a piss-poor empire builder, and once bleed by the various wars of succession in Europe, became a nothin'.

Lesson, if they have shit we want, we'll probably end up taking it from them one way, or another. 'Course I don't think humans are gonna stop being greedy, disagreeable, shortsighted, selfish, or violent anytime soon, if ever. That’s people.

But what the fuck do I know? It's not like I'll ever live to see any of this, or that this discussion has much pertinence to, well, anything. So I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on the economics of interstellar trade, just too many unknowables. I still don't think a "Prime Directive" is necessary, desirable, enforceable, or even a good idea. The last thing any starship captain needs is some unbreakable rule to get in the way of running his ship and his mission. If it gets in the way of just one captain's mission performance or worse yet, results in any human’s death, it's just garbage.
[img=left]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/ ... yjayne.gif[/img]
.45 ACP, because no matter how you try to rationalize it, 9mm is still for women and pansies.

My commentary on the M16? "Fucktastic shitcock goddamn bolt fucking overides"

John Moses Browning is my savior.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

GunDoctor wrote:

As if we're going to have FTL anytime soon either. If interstellar travel is possible then the energy required to move goods up gravity wells is most likely insignificant, in comparison. Of course there's no way to be sure until we get there, for now this is all intellectual masturbation. I refuse to say "It will be extraordinarily difficult; therefore we will never do it!" Physicists said the same thing about going to them moon.
No one is saying it's difficult, you dishonest little monkey. We have directly, objectively explained the reason why it's absolutely uneconomical to do what you claimed was all about profits. Are you ever going to address that?
And no, I don't really think any hypothetical interstellar government will be that interested in populated planets, unless they're strategically significant for some reason, but commerce WILL be. It's a fucking market, and any free system of markets will automatically expand its envelope of trade, unless there's some reason it's impossible.
It's not impossible, just ridiculously uneconomical. 60MJ/kg. Are you ever going to address this?
And for the last fucking time, Europe didn't get anything it NEEDED from its colonies, they shore as fuck got shit they WANTED. The resources acquired were helpful in expanding European power in some cases, but not absolutely necessary. For that matter the gold and silver looted from the new world actually did more damage than good to the Spanish economy by inflating the supply. Spain ended up a piss-poor empire builder, and once bleed by the various wars of succession in Europe, became a nothin'.
It was economical to do so. It is not economical to use planets for resources.
Lesson, if they have shit we want, we'll probably end up taking it from them one way, or another. 'Course I don't think humans are gonna stop being greedy, disagreeable, shortsighted, selfish, or violent anytime soon, if ever. That’s people.
And greedy people don't do ridiculously expensive things for a fractional return.
But what the fuck do I know? It's not like I'll ever live to see any of this, or that this discussion has much pertinence to, well, anything. So I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on the economics of interstellar trade, just too many unknowables. I still don't think a "Prime Directive" is necessary, desirable, enforceable, or even a good idea. The last thing any starship captain needs is some unbreakable rule to get in the way of running his ship and his mission. If it gets in the way of just one captain's mission performance or worse yet, results in any human’s death, it's just garbage.
You'll just run away because you absolutely can't provide a shred of a rebuttal to the simple, explicit quantity of energy to move something off a planet. This is not 'agreeing to disagree'. This is you playing some stupid, rhetorical kid's game, screeching 'IT WASN'T IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TO THE MOON!' and running off.

You can't rebutt the facts laid out, so you sulk. No one's surprised.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

GunDoctor wrote:

This is why you're a fucking moron. Apparently you're completely incapable of grasping the scales involved here. For something to be profitable, it has to have greater value than the combined value of the resources used in producing it. Did you sleep through high school economics?
Apparently the sheer scale of the energy expenditure required completely evades you. Going off the example I posted earlier, you would need over 17,500 metric tons of antimatter to provide the energy needed to get our 1000 ton probe to Alpha Centauri. Even if we assumed that all 1000 tons was cargo, that had better be some godawful expensive cargo to pay for 17,500 metric tons of antimatter . . . incredibly difficult to produce and store antimatter. Trade with a primitive society which would have to put many tens of thousands of years of effort just to pay for your fuel costs would be so fucking stupid that even the most retarded child would not think that it'd be even remotely feasible.
Once again, Europe could expand into the New World very, very cheaply. If the cost of an interstellar trip took the entire multi-trillion dollar budget of the United States government, the cost of the Spaniards sailing to the New World could be paid for by the pocket-change earned by a homeless bum pan-handling for beer money.

The only way this would ever change is if a civilization could generate antimatter for, essentially gratis, and had wankerrific FTL. Except such a civilization would be so mind-bogglingly, stupendously powerful and resource-rich that the thought of trading with a primitive planet-bound alien sapient will be about as appealing and profitable as catching amoebic dysentery would be for us.
Except only the most retarded child would find dirt dug up by an ant colony appealing and valuable. Humans will still likely be greedy and selfish, yes, but they'll direct their avarice towards profitable avenues . . . like stiffing their fellow man.
But what the fuck do I know?
From your behavior in this thread? Not a whole lot, clearly.
It's not like I'll ever live to see any of this, or that this discussion has much pertinence to, well, anything.
Gee, speculative discussions on a sci-fi/fantasy board? Whodathunkit?
So I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on the economics of interstellar trade, just too many unknowables.
Only if you have zero grasp of the differences of scale evolved and/or of basic economic principles.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:An interstellar civilization will need a positively gargantuan rocket powered by extremely expensive to produce antimatter with many meters of shielding, or lots of exotic physics wankery to send a crew, or even a small robotic probe, to another star system. The expense will be such that it can only be undertaken by a Type II civilization . . . and the only way you can get to being a Type II civilization is if you've become very good at playing nicely with others. So good, in fact, that you're capable of building the up the enormous interplanetary infrastructure needed to build starships, without having to worry about some idiots with a handy asteroid smashing holes in it over some petty differences.
I would argue that an interstellar culture could also be a dictatorship style, where there is a strict chain of command, and other races have to be taught their place. They only play nice with themselves because the boss says so, which is why their empire has survived.

So they would go to another system, and conquer the locals out of national pride, rather than economy. From there, they mine the asteroid belts, enslave the locals, and import colonists. Industry set up in-system allows their colonists to arrive and send back the transports, and as the locals learn to accept their place, they are integrated into the empire.

The only advantage the interstellar empire gets is that their boot is on someone else's neck.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Coalition wrote:
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:An interstellar civilization will need a positively gargantuan rocket powered by extremely expensive to produce antimatter with many meters of shielding, or lots of exotic physics wankery to send a crew, or even a small robotic probe, to another star system. The expense will be such that it can only be undertaken by a Type II civilization . . . and the only way you can get to being a Type II civilization is if you've become very good at playing nicely with others. So good, in fact, that you're capable of building the up the enormous interplanetary infrastructure needed to build starships, without having to worry about some idiots with a handy asteroid smashing holes in it over some petty differences.
I would argue that an interstellar culture could also be a dictatorship style, where there is a strict chain of command, and other races have to be taught their place. They only play nice with themselves because the boss says so, which is why their empire has survived.
Why? The only ones an interstellar culture could possibly want to dictate to are other interstellar cultures, and they might be powerful enough to take offense. Sure, you could bully nascent interstellar civilizations, but you'd do that by smashing their starships as they try to leave their home system. It gets the message across quickly and effectively without you having to stoop to actually talking to them. However, if you do it often enough, eventually you run the risk of annoying someone whose level of power and resource production makes yours look like modern-day Earth.
So they would go to another system, and conquer the locals out of national pride, rather than economy.

Given the energy expenditures involved, you'd only want to conquer other interstellar cultures. And they can shoot back. There's national pride and then there's being completely retarded.
From there, they mine the asteroid belts, enslave the locals, and import colonists.
Enslaving primitive alien sapients makes zero economic sense, given the large number of different ways one can define "edible" for even DNA/RNA life. Let's not forget the cost of transporting said primitives off-world. Colonizing their system also makes zero sense, as their planets will contain a full, highly complex ecosystem that may be incompatible with your needs. Not to mention building asteroid colonies in hostile systems brings up the scenario mentioned in the space colony warfare thread. The best you could do is to make an interstellar culture or near-interstellar culture your vassals. And even then, you'd only ask for limited basing rights. Not outright colonization.
The only advantage the interstellar empire gets is that their boot is on someone else's neck.
At, depending on how primitive the conquered sapients are, enormous economic drain. Such an empire would disintegrate under the burden faster than the turnover rate of elected governments in Italy.
GunDoctor
Youngling

Post by GunDoctor »

SirNitram wrote:Snip self-righteous bullshit

Ohhhh-k. Whatever. Have fun with that self-wank there. Value is in no way absolute, it's all a fucking con game. If I can convince someone else its valuable, then I can get riduculous return for my investment, see diamonds.

But hey, ya'll think we wont kill things and take their shit simply because we can, so there's really no arguing with ya, AS I FUCKING SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hope this was as fun for you as it was for me.
[img=left]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/ ... yjayne.gif[/img]
.45 ACP, because no matter how you try to rationalize it, 9mm is still for women and pansies.

My commentary on the M16? "Fucktastic shitcock goddamn bolt fucking overides"

John Moses Browning is my savior.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

GunDoctor wrote:
Wow. I patiently go over, again, that 60MJ/kg is not profitable, and you claim 'self-righteousnes' is what I'm spewing.

Get help.
Ohhhh-k. Whatever. Have fun with that self-wank there. Value is in no way absolute, it's all a fucking con game. If I can convince someone else its valuable, then I can get riduculous return for my investment, see diamonds.
Ah yes. Science, quantification, objective analysis.. All is just self-wank! It's so clear now.. You're a troll with no intent to offer anything.

Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, if you want to see the con game of the future, it's 'Genuine Xenosapient Artifacts', which have never seen a gravity well, let alone an alien.
But hey, ya'll think we wont kill things and take their shit simply because we can, so there's really no arguing with ya, AS I FUCKING SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE.
'YOU'RE SO UNREASONABLE WITH ALL THIS LOGIC AND REASON AND MATH! I AM MERELY THE LIGHT OF TRUTH AMONGST YOUR EVIL ANALSYS!
I hope this was as fun for you as it was for me.
Yea. Mocking worthless shitstains who have superiority complexs is actually one of my favorite things here, as shown by the many folks I do this to with a grin.

Of course, because you're an idiot, you'll probably claim I'm angry. Or maybe infer I don't have a life. Or any of the other desperate, pathetic attempts at credibility that work on teenagers.

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

GunDoctor wrote:But hey, ya'll think we wont kill things and take their shit simply because we can, so there's really no arguing with ya, AS I FUCKING SAID IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Do you think now people actually "kill things and take their shit" simply because they can?

Edited for clarity
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

GunDoctor wrote:

Except the cost of producing diamonds is negligible, relatively speaking. I have to wonder whether you're just trolling.
Only if you're a morally bankrupt asshole with an economic sense best described using imaginary numbers. Your silly little assertion fails miserably in fhe face of cold, hard numbers. This has been repeatedly demonstrated to you. You can say it until you're blue in the face, it doesn't make you any less of an idiot simply because you can repeat it a lit.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The sadists in this thread who think the best course of action is to exterminate or enslave primitives just because we can (leaving aside the economic issues for the moment) don't seem to be thinking this all the way through. If you as a species have made a habit of kicking over other people's sand castles for shits and giggles, just what exactly do you think the reaction is going to be when you inevitably run into another interstellar (or even intergalactic, since this is soft sci-fi) civilization which can mess up your shit just as easily as you bullied all those primitives?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

See the Xelee books. Or Warhammer 40k. :)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

I like how pre-space societies are handled in Star Wars. Basically, it's a free-for-all.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Two words: Special Circumstances