Dawn of Forever, Part L (Unity Chapter 250)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

As I said earlier, I'm sorry that some of you didn't like that aspect of it, and when I learned of your feelings, I pushed past it as quickly as I felt I could. Some things, however, were committed at that time and had to be followed through on. I do hope you were able to derive some enjoyment from the remaining portion of the story.
Chuck

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Sonnenburg wrote:As I said earlier, I'm sorry that some of you didn't like that aspect of it, and when I learned of your feelings, I pushed past it as quickly as I felt I could. Some things, however, were committed at that time and had to be followed through on. I do hope you were able to derive some enjoyment from the remaining portion of the story.
Personally, I'd like to hear about what you had planned if you weren't going to push past so quickly.

Acting like the multiversal trek was a completely unprecedented thing when we have had two different iterations of Mara Jade's ST vs. SW Multiverse Tour would be silly anyway.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

consequences wrote:Personally, I'd like to hear about what you had planned if you weren't going to push past so quickly.
Basically it was the same amount of action, but in multiple scenes, with the trio using their unique talents along the way. To move quickly I just condensed it into the two sequences we had and gave Annika a last chance to show off her talents. I don't think the story is any worse for this way over the other version.
Chuck

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I was going to wait for the redo to be finished, but when I get to part XL of the DOF redo, and you hadn't yet posted the rest of it, I got impatient and read the old version. I don't think I missed anything.

Anyway, excellently done, Chuck! If I had one tenth the imagination you've demostrated in this story, not to mention the endurance to see it is conclusion, I'd be set for life. I honestly have to say, that out of all the authors I've read, you and Stravo take the top spot (don't make me choose between you two - my head would explode). I can't wait to see your next project.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Arrow wrote:I was going to wait for the redo to be finished, but when I get to part XL of the DOF redo, and you hadn't yet posted the rest of it, I got impatient and read the old version. I don't think I missed anything.
The most noteable addition is the closing of the Kalib plot thread that I hadn't had a chance to resolve in 50 (there was too much similar stuff going on to shoehorn it in. For the most part, the additions were acknowledging Annika's command position in the Federation (which had to be downplayed to avoid giving away AAO spoilers while that piece was still coming out).
Arrow wrote:Anyway, excellently done, Chuck! If I had one tenth the imagination you've demostrated in this story, not to mention the endurance to see it is conclusion, I'd be set for life. I honestly have to say, that out of all the authors I've read, you and Stravo take the top spot (don't make me choose between you two - my head would explode). I can't wait to see your next project.
Thank you very much, it was a long journey, but very rewarding.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

And with the final redux chapter coming out, here are the final stats for the curious:
WWE: 130,569 words
SOTN: 141,153 words
AAO: 138,048 words
PL: 158,362 words
BOH: 130,548 words
DOF: 175,994 words

TOTAL: 874,674 words

Shortest chapter: AAO 20 (the Emperor's Return) 1787 words
Longest in-universe, non-closing chapter: SOTN 30 (Seven's restoration) 6280 words
Longest chapter: DOF 50 23,107 words (13% of that entire story)
First non-closing chapter to break 4000 words: SOTN 10 (Luke bashes Cube)
Number of non-closing chapters to break 5000 words: Three - SOTN 30, AAO 30 (Luke turns back), DOF 48 (Annika and Mara's whirlwind tour)
Shortest closing chapter: AAO 40, 12,678 words

Number of characters to appear in all six chapters without dying: 2 (Han Solo, the Doctor)
Number of starships to appear in all six chapters without being destroyed: 1 (Millennium Falcon)
Longest time between appearances: 161 chapters (Kilana, WWE 15-BOH 16)
Number of capital worlds destroyed: 5 (Cardassia, Coruscant, Bastion, Chandrilla, Vong planet)
Number of Death Stars destroyed: 2
Number of times Janeway tried to prevent the destruction of a Death Star: 2
Number of references to Seven being ticklish: 10
Number of references to other characters being ticklish: 1 (Mara, DOF 45)
Number of characters raised from the dead: 3 (4 if you count the Emperor, 5 if you count Quark)
Character most commonly found throughout the multiverse: Mara (4 that we visited)
Character least commonly found throughout the multiverse: Sebastian (1 universe only)
Character who appeared the most: Seven of Nine
Character who appeared the least: Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film
Most commonly-named starship: Enterprise (USS Enterprise-E, USS Enterprise-D Mk II, AFS Enterprise)
Love affair least spoke of: Borui and Dalton
Chuck

Hammer_77th
Redshirt

THANKS MR. CHUCK

Post by Hammer_77th »

Having stumbled upon, quite by accident, “Dawn of Forever” on the Forum about six months ago, I quickly became an avid lurker, like others, eagerly awaiting the next chapter. You have to understand, I hate posting. I mean, I really hate posting, I’m not a good writer and I hate to type. In spite of my distaste for it, I had to break my self-imposed non-posting rule this once. As an extremely voracious reader, I’ll usually go through anywhere from 10 to 15 books a week. After reading countless stories in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi genres, I’ve found it very difficult to find myself emotionally moved by any one given story. But every once in awhile, I come across a volume of work that makes me just sit back and say "WOW" after reading the last page. Yours is such a work. I have absolutely no shame in saying that when I read Sebastian’s reunion with Jorri and Morgan I had to stop and dry my eyes because I welled up like a baby. In my head I could hear myself saying, “Well, it’s about damn time something went right for the poor bastard!”

Have you ever just read something so profound that it inspires an internal dialog with yourself of “Hot Damn – that Rocked!”? Well, DOF did that for me. After the last word all I could do is sit back, wipe my eyes, take a deep breath and go “Whew!”

I know you gotten a lot of Congrats and Bravo’s already, but I want to personally say Thank You for all your time and sacrifice in letting us share an amazing vision. I am sad to see DOF end, but I will rest easier knowing that the Bitch (you know who) finally got what she deserved – for eternity!

Seriously, keep writing and creating, you have a wonderful future as an author. Someone really ought to call up every major publisher in the country and force them to read your Epic. You would be on the Best Seller list in no time. Then again, can you say, "Movie Rights".

Chuck - Thanks for one Hell of a ride!

Hammer
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Sonnenburg wrote:Love affair least spoke of: Borui and Dalton
:o You dick!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

First sorry for not letting Dalton's words be the last to be posted on this thread :twisted: . Anyway those are some really great statistics (only the doctor and Han, wow). Any idea how many pages that would be in a book?

Now I'm dissapointed Chuck. I want to see another 125,326 words. How could you even think of writing a story that didn't reach a million words. :) ? Thanks a lot again. I had two teachers who offered to give an atomatic A to anyone who could write every number between 1 and a million. Needless to say, it never happened. The amount needed to do it, would have made the time needed to do homework seem like a joke (over a nine week period of time, I remember figuring it would have taken a large portion of the day, everyday). That you could give us a such a good story with almost 87.5% of a million words seems almost beyond belief. Thank you so much.
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Dalton wrote:
Sonnenburg wrote:Love affair least spoke of: Borui and Dalton
:o You dick!
HA-ha! :D
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Star Empire wrote:First sorry for not letting Dalton's words be the last to be posted on this thread :twisted: . Anyway those are some really great statistics (only the doctor and Han, wow). Any idea how many pages that would be in a book?
Roughly 1750 pages.
Star Empire wrote: Now I'm dissapointed Chuck. I want to see another 125,326 words. How could you even think of writing a story that didn't reach a million words. :) ? Thanks a lot again. I had two teachers who offered to give an atomatic A to anyone who could write every number between 1 and a million. Needless to say, it never happened. The amount needed to do it, would have made the time needed to do homework seem like a joke (over a nine week period of time, I remember figuring it would have taken a large portion of the day, everyday). That you could give us a such a good story with almost 87.5% of a million words seems almost beyond belief. Thank you so much.
You're welcome, and thanks for all your kind remarks. :)
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Re: THANKS MR. CHUCK

Post by Sonnenburg »

Hammer_77th wrote:Having stumbled upon, quite by accident, “Dawn of Forever” on the Forum about six months ago, I quickly became an avid lurker, like others, eagerly awaiting the next chapter. You have to understand, I hate posting. I mean, I really hate posting, I’m not a good writer and I hate to type. In spite of my distaste for it, I had to break my self-imposed non-posting rule this once. As an extremely voracious reader, I’ll usually go through anywhere from 10 to 15 books a week. After reading countless stories in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi genres, I’ve found it very difficult to find myself emotionally moved by any one given story. But every once in awhile, I come across a volume of work that makes me just sit back and say "WOW" after reading the last page. Yours is such a work. I have absolutely no shame in saying that when I read Sebastian’s reunion with Jorri and Morgan I had to stop and dry my eyes because I welled up like a baby. In my head I could hear myself saying, “Well, it’s about damn time something went right for the poor bastard!”

Have you ever just read something so profound that it inspires an internal dialog with yourself of “Hot Damn – that Rocked!”? Well, DOF did that for me. After the last word all I could do is sit back, wipe my eyes, take a deep breath and go “Whew!”

I know you gotten a lot of Congrats and Bravo’s already, but I want to personally say Thank You for all your time and sacrifice in letting us share an amazing vision. I am sad to see DOF end, but I will rest easier knowing that the Bitch (you know who) finally got what she deserved – for eternity!

Seriously, keep writing and creating, you have a wonderful future as an author. Someone really ought to call up every major publisher in the country and force them to read your Epic. You would be on the Best Seller list in no time. Then again, can you say, "Movie Rights".

Chuck - Thanks for one Hell of a ride!

Hammer
Of all the remarks I have read, I'm always touched when I hear comments about a reaction to Bastian's reunion. That people can grow to care about someone who has no existence outside this story is very fulfilling, that a little of my love for him could be shared by others. I think he accomplished the goal that was set for him, that we could follow him in spite of his failings, in spite of the fact that he wasn't up to what his parents could accomplish. I like to think it's easy to identify with someone who is trying to be the kind of good person we'd like to be; not is that person, because sometimes he's going to screw up, or just give in to emotion or human frailty, but that even after stumbling he knows there's a chance he can help, so he tries to find a way to push on, even when it's hard. That was in part the reason for the Q scene near the end, to show that Bastian's only human... that he can only push himself so long before he just can't find the strength any more; he's as mortal as everyone else.

Thank you for your kind remarks, for going through the rigamarole of joining to share them with me, and for sticking with the story. But... movie rights? No no no, we need a weekly animated series. :D
Chuck