Suggest to me good background music for a game

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Hotfoot

Suggest to me good background music for a game

Post by Hotfoot »

There aren't any strict rules here, other than the music should be good for listening to in the background. Things that grab too much attention are less useful (but still good) for obvious reasons.

Please, suggest a wide range. While I myself do love hard rock and the like, Jazz, Techno, Blues, or anything at all should be considered. This is designed to be background music for a game focusing on Law Enforcement in a futuristic, yet still fairly down-to-earth setting.

If possible, please provide links to samples.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

What type of games are we talking about here? FPS? RTS? Hack and Slash? 4x?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

It's an RPG, as in a tabletop type. Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Well, that does narrow down the selection a bit, but what RPG are you playing?

Many of the White Wolf games can be played with a variety of music that fits the scene, for instance, though D&D would be better with more classical music.

I've listened to Delerium, Massive Attack, Portishead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, VAST, and many others over the years, depending on the game being played.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

As I said above, it's a futuristic police/detective game in a more down to earth setting (more like B5 than Star Trek).
The Realm of Confusion
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

If you're going for the kind Film Noir/Blade Runner atmosphere, slow jazzy blues is great for ambient bits. Watch the opening scene of Lethal Weapon to see what I mean.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I'll second blues for ambient bits.

Hard bop could work well, too. A Pandorazation for David Sanborn could get you a good selection to think about.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

And if you loop it, make it more than a minute long. Preferably as long as possible. And pick something that doesn't get too stale after the Nth iteration...
Image Image
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm trying to think of stuff that I like to listen to while gaming; then I remembered that I mostly listen to techno while playing zombie horde on CS:Source. Hybrid is generally quite good (If I Survive is my favourite), and I've fallen head over heels for Plummet's Cherish the Day. Other ones I have on the play list are WHITE TIGER NO. 24 (KAGAMI); Basement Jaxx versus Brazillian Guy - Good Lucky (Drum & Bass Bootleg Mix) and Get It By Your Hands, by Quadra.

I would also suggest Yoko Kanno's Space Lion. Any sort of slow reflective moments at the end of the game? That's the song to play.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've got the perfect selection - I recently bought the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack vol1, as well as nBSG soundtrack (Battlestar Muzaktika is fucking awesome), both of these would fit pretty well.

To be honest, you can't go past some good 20s/30s blues/jazz to set the tone for any cop game no matter what the time-frame.