Toys in the attic

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Toys in the attic

Post by Tsyroc »

So, at the end of the last Christmas period my parents decided to clean out their attic and dropped off a bunch of my old toys at my house.

Here are some pictures of a few of them.

My original 1970s X-Wing and whatever the Earth fighter from the 1980s TV show Buck Rogers was called. I had a few of the BR action figures too but 20 years baking in the Arizona heat had even Twikki disintegrating into component parts after only a little movement.

The second G.I. Joe that I owned. Also from the 1970s. He was nearly the last of any of the 1970s Joe stuff that I had. At one time I had a similar Joe figure with orange/brown hair, Atomic Man (a cool Six Million Dollar Man rip-off), a jeep, an amphicat (sixe wheeled vehicle), safari set (with white tiger) and a submarine. The submarine actually fit the large joe figures and had a pumping device that allowed you to submerge and surface the sub. The only problem was the thing was huge so unless you had a pool or felt like risking it in a lake or pond there wasn't anyplace to use it. So I never really got a chance to use it. I do still have the "giant" squid that was part of that set. :)

This picture has my matchbox/hot wheels sized Eagle from Space 1999 next to 3 partially die-cast Shogun Warriors. IIRC they are Gai-King, Dangar Ace (standing) and Poseidon. Unlike the two larger sizes the small Shogun Warriors didn't have any working projectiles or special features.

I think this tie fighter is from the 1980s. The panels come off and the pilot used to be removable. I also have a die cast Millenium Falcon from the same time period that is in a lot better shape. The majority of the Star Wars action figures from that time period really kind of sucked, but at least they allowed George to get himself set up. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Those John Deere boxes yours also? Assuming the tractors are in the boxes,
they are definitly worth something. I don't collect JD stuff myself (I'm a International, Case and CaseInternational man myself) but JD stuff is the most popular. They are really worth something with the boxes.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Thats not GI Joe, thats Chuck Norris.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Wow, that X-Wing really looks great! My X-Wing from that time lacks the canopy as well as the cannons and the hull is more grey than white (well, my family moved a few times when I was a kid).
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Deathstalker wrote:Those John Deere boxes yours also? Assuming the tractors are in the boxes,
they are definitly worth something. I don't collect JD stuff myself (I'm a International, Case and CaseInternational man myself) but JD stuff is the most popular. They are really worth something with the boxes.
Yep. It's a set of historical JD tractors from their first one up until the 1970s or 80s. I don't recall how many of are in the set. Maybe 10 I think.

I grew up near the JD international headquarters plus my mom's family had a JD tractor on their farm when she was growing up. Actually one of my great Uncles retired from JD as well.

In that same area there was a big International Harvester, J.I. Case and Caterpillar presence until the mid 1980s when IH went bankrupt, CAT moved their plants overseas and Case barely hung on.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

What's really funny is the stuff I forgot to take pictures of.

My Fort Apache playset with Indians and Soldiers.

A dinosaur play set complete with cave men and prehistoric animals to really confuse people. :D It was great for me because that was when Land of the Lost was big on tv.

The 1970s large sized Lone Ranger and Tonto action figures as well as Silver and Scout. The heat didn't do them any favors. Guns were melted in holsters, Tonto's mocassins melted to his feet. Scout's sadel melted into his back. Not pretty stuff.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ar-Adunakhor
Jedi Knight

Post by Ar-Adunakhor »

Is it strange that my first thought upon seeing this thread was: "ZomgZ, Cowboy Bebop screenshots!"

Christ, I am such a geek.

Anyway, yes, those John Deere tractors are without doubt worth some money. My parents both went digging through their storage areas a few months back and found two sets of those things, complete with accessories. The sold on EBay for several hundered dollars, if I remember correctly.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Re: Toys in the attic

Post by SylasGaunt »

Tsyroc wrote: http://www.members.aol.com/tsyroc/shogun.jpg

This picture has my matchbox/hot wheels sized Eagle from Space 1999 next to 3 partially die-cast Shogun Warriors. IIRC they are Gai-King, Dangar Ace (standing) and Poseidon. Unlike the two larger sizes the small Shogun Warriors didn't have any working projectiles or special features.
Actually lets see...

The standing one is Combattler V, the one with the horns is Grandizer, and I think the other is indeed Getter-Poseidon.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

SylasGaunt wrote: Actually lets see...

The standing one is Combattler V, the one with the horns is Grandizer, and I think the other is indeed Getter-Poseidon.
I thought I got at least one of the names wrong. Plus, I think they were marketted differently in the US than the rest of the world. I was thinking that maybe the one with the horns was supposed to be Great Mazinga or something like that but who knows at this point? I was hoping I could find names on them but nadda.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ar-Adunakhor wrote:Is it strange that my first thought upon seeing this thread was: "ZomgZ, Cowboy Bebop screenshots!"

Here I thought the name would make people think of Aerosmith but that just goes to show that I am either old or not enough people on this boad listen to classic rock. :)
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Tsyroc wrote:
Ar-Adunakhor wrote:Is it strange that my first thought upon seeing this thread was: "ZomgZ, Cowboy Bebop screenshots!"

Here I thought the name would make people think of Aerosmith but that just goes to show that I am either old or not enough people on this boad listen to classic rock. :)
To be fair, I thought of Pink Floyd ("Toys in the attic, he is crazy..." being a lyric from The Trial at the end of The Wall.)
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Tsyroc wrote: I thought I got at least one of the names wrong. Plus, I think they were marketted differently in the US than the rest of the world. I was thinking that maybe the one with the horns was supposed to be Great Mazinga or something like that but who knows at this point? I was hoping I could find names on them but nadda.
Nah it's Grandizer, the horns are a dead give-away.. plus I play a lot of Super Robot Wars which is pobably the only reason I recognize them all. :D
charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

Was there a die-cast TIE Bomber in that attic collection by any chance? If so, out of the box and in decent condition, it's worth several hundred dollars. It was a very rare toy back in the early 80's when it was released. Ebay may be your best friend.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I only had the tie fighter and it didn't like to stay together anymore and the pilot was glued in so he wouldn't fall out.

SylasGaunt thanks for the help with the names.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

Rats. I was hoping you would have one of those rare ones. I'd love to see a pic of one out of the box. The only one I've ever seen was a DragonCon last year, in the original package, marked at $1000. Don't know if it sold or not.