What's Your Favorite Musical Genre?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Just choose your favorite

Electronic (specify sub-genres)
10%
Classical / orchestrated
24%
Cultural (bluegrass, African, Indian, etc.)
No votes
Jazz / The Blues / Bebop
5%
Ska, Reggae, Dub
2%
Popular (pop, rock, rap, hip-hop, country)
36%
Other (specify)
24%

Total votes: 42

Medic
Sith Devotee

What's Your Favorite Musical Genre?

Post by Medic »

Shotbun blast to everyone, I've seen a lot of favorite soundtracks, best music to kill to and threads of that nature but no one stop place to get an idea of musical preference on SDN.

So here it is.

Using wiki as a quick reference, bite me.

Mines the 1st option, and Juno Reactor is my favorite group, bar none, in that group and of any musical performers nowadays. I suppose you can throw in your favorite band / artist / orchestra too for shits and giggles.

edit: had to bunch a few of these in lumps since there's a limit to poll options.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

My musical tastes register like a shotgun blast to the dartboard of categories, so I can't really decide.

So far I'd have to call for favorite band, Rammstein (Industrial Metal Lite for easy listening, IMO); but favorite category- Classical and Orchestral because I like a lot more of those types of songs than I do in any other. Probably because there are less words, and vocals tend to fuck up songs. Which incidentally is why Rap sucks so badly, because a lot of it uses almost no music and all vocals to supply the "harmony".
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

I voted "Other" simply due to the variety of music I like. Most would fall under the "rock" category, but I've music of most genres on my playlists.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Metal. My favorite metal sub-genres are viking, folk-black, and troll metal.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: What's Your Favorite Musical Genre?

Post by Ford Prefect »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Mines the 1st option, and Juno Reactor is my favorite group, bar none, in that group and of any musical performers nowadays. I suppose you can throw in your favorite band / artist / orchestra too for shits and giggles.
Dammit man, that's beautiful. Juno Reactor are excellent.

I'm also an Electro fan myself; Hybrid, DJ Shadow (on his own and his collaboative works with UNKLE) and others. I've got a soft spot for trance; I've also got a thing for jazz and the blues.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Power metal.

Followed by groovy 60's and 70's rock.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Smooooooke on the waaaaaater...

Rock dominates my musical preferences, though I do like the occasional bit of electronica, classical or pseudo-classical (John Williams, etc.), and even certain rap and pop songs.

Mostly, I prefer 60s rock/pop and psychadelic rock, 70s hard rock and proto-metal, and 80s hard rock/metal. A deadhead, basically.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I like lots of things, but power metal and symphonic metal tend to be my favorites.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Classical, closely followed by jazz and metal of the Blind Guardian variety.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Smooooooke on the waaaaaater...
That song is pure and utter awesome.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Old Punk or modern Alternative.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I would say that metal is certainly my favourite genre, and of that, my favoured subgenres, along with examples are:

Groove Metal (Pantera, Machine Head, White Zombie)

Industrial Metal (Fear Factory, Ministry)

Death Metal (Carcass, Morbid Angel)

Outside of metal, my favourite genre would probably be harder/industrial dance music, like Prodigy, Orbital.

Then orchestral stuff.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

A bit of most everything, but my main choices are:

Old country (today's country is mostly pop tripe with a southern accent).
60's and 70's pop hits (my guilty secret) :oops:
'Classic Rock' such as Led Zeppelin.

And God help me, but there's actually a few hip-hop songs that have grown on me like a fungus. :lol:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Anything that has a heart and soul. I don't care what genre it is, if it's made by a person who is passionate about his/her work - or at least manages to sound passionate - there's a good chance I'll like it.

To date, I have not found a single R&B, techno, dance or house..."song" I can stand.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Classical, both the old stuff, and the more contemporary, like movie scores and the like.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

Mostly my favorite songs move through rock, pop and country but country music is my primary.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Metal such as Lordi, E Nomine and Dream Theater, followed by various Japanese music (jpop, jrock, etc), then followed by game music.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

My main rule of thumb is that I like anything with piano in it, from Tori Amos to Billy Joel. I love classical piano most of all though. I'm only barely starting to get into orchestral classical music, though, and I'm beginning with Beethoven symphonies. (And piano concertos, if those count.) So classical is probably my favorite genre, but I have a very narrow, piano-centric knowledge of it.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Discombobulated wrote:My main rule of thumb is that I like anything with piano in it, from Tori Amos to Billy Joel. I love classical piano most of all though. I'm only barely starting to get into orchestral classical music, though, and I'm beginning with Beethoven symphonies. (And piano concertos, if those count.) So classical is probably my favorite genre, but I have a very narrow, piano-centric knowledge of it.
You should check out Dream Theater then, if you haven't already. They use a lot of piano in their music.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Electronic, although not specifically techno or trance, although I do like those. By "electronic" as my favourite, I mean groups like Boards of Canada (70s nostalgic ambiance), Tree Wave (popish tracks using vocals and 70s and 80s computer and video game equipment), as well as overall experimental stuff, such as circuit bent Speak and Spells.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

I love rock and classical first and foremost. To varying degrees, I also like direct off-shoots from those genres (id est, some metal and soundtrack music). I don't like the stereotypical country music, but I really like Johnny Cash, and rock-country like The Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I'm not much for Pop, though I do like Michael Jackson and Prince. Usually, I can tolerate pop, electronica, techno, and all other such things. However, I absolutely detest rap and hip hop.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I listen to a rather narrow selection of romantic and baroque music (not so much classical). My thing is that I can listen to a particular piece of music over and over again, so I can derive entertainment from a very small slice of what's really out there.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I selected other as my favorites are Ozzy Osbourne and Johnny Cash, other than that I listen to classic rock.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Neko_Oni
Padawan Learner

Post by Neko_Oni »

Currently obessed with hip-hop. In particular Australian hip-hop due to some superb releases recently, Butterfingers and Hilltop Hoods being the albums in question. The Herd's also another Aussie hip-hop group that's done some excellent stuff recently.

That said my other tastes are pretty broad. Anything except pop and R&B.

Here's a Youtube link for Butterfingers - FIGJAM. Funny stuff. Bonus points for fitting the word bukkake into a hip-hop song.

Butterfingers - FIGJAM
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

I think I'm stuck in a three-way between speed rock, power/epic rock, and punk. - the three of those genres combined make up about 90% of my "official" MP3 folder, the rest being a few outliers and stuff I've downloaded from Newgrounds and such.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.