2 Unfeasibly Large Pictures Of A Mantis...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

2 Unfeasibly Large Pictures Of A Mantis...

Post by FSTargetDrone »

...available here and here.

These were taken in 2004, seconds before the mantis became enraged and flew at my throat, nearly taking my head off. I never saw so much blood...

No, that's a horrible lie. They were taken in 2005.

No, I'm still lying. It really was 2004. And the mantis was quite serene. It's quite fascinating watching its head and "pupils" track around. I've picked up smaller mantises in the past, to study them up close. However, this fine fellow measured about 6-8 inches long, and I'm too gutless to mess with something that large. :)

We see them every year around here. Once, one of them was sitting on the front door, and it involved some creative and extremely slow movement to get the door open and back inside, so I could retrieve a broom and let the thing crawl onto the bristles. I then deposit them out back in the field, over the fence. Aside from that one time when the mantis wrenched the broom from my grasp and knocked me unconscious...

Usually they are on the back porch. They are typicall bright green all over when I've seen them, but sometimes brown. I suppose that has something to do with molting or whatnot.
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

That first one is a mighty fine photo. We see some over in the desert every now and then but I haven't seen one 6-8 inches, maybe in the mountains...
d(-_-)b
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Lt. Dan wrote:That first one is a mighty fine photo. We see some over in the desert every now and then but I haven't seen one 6-8 inches, maybe in the mountains...
Thank you. My complaint with the first photo is that it's a bit washed out with the flash!
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

I like it because the mantis is front and center with out being too small in the shot. And because there are somethings in the pic that we do not have in the desert. Green and water. :wink:

Anyhoo, glad to see you made it out alive, just watch your back, those things climb up walls and shit like that... God damn ninja bugs....
d(-_-)b
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

That's what I need for the offending centipedes, spiders, moths, etc! Damn, get me one!

I doubt many centipedes would stand a chance against a big ass Praying Mantis like that.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I'm using that first one as a wallpaper now :)
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

These were taken in 2004, seconds before the mantis became enraged and flew at my throat, nearly taking my head off. I never saw so much blood...
Must've been horny, female mantises have been known to do that to their mates. :lol:
JADAFETWA
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:I'm using that first one as a wallpaper now :)
Enjoy!