Galactica Vs Star Wars

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the Video was good, but I agree with Lord Poe.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Compared to the battle we saw in RotS, this has the advantage of being longer, but as good as this fanfilm is (and I think it is quite good) it does not have the sweeping panorama and multi-dimensional fight choreography of the Battle of Coruscant.

Most of the combat is pretty much just charge and blaze away, with the dramatic aerobatics being done in individual ship scenes. In other words, most of the fleet action is actually fairly static. In RotS, the whole area of space is used for dogfights and furballs in every direction.

If the guys who made this video had access to the stuff at ILM, and if they had the time and pay to devote to it, they might come up with something that would seriously challenge an actual movie studio's work, though... the motivation, technical skill and patience is definitely there.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Pleasant enough. Would like to see more movement from the ships, but the missile-firing ISD was a nice touch.

Anyone know what the music was?
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Vanas wrote:Pleasant enough. Would like to see more movement from the ships, but the missile-firing ISD was a nice touch.

Anyone know what the music was?
According to the credits it was "The Rock Crimson Tide"

EDIT: Which I realised just now is probably the people responsible for it. Damn brainfarts.
Image[
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Xess wrote: According to the credits it was "The Rock Crimson Tide"

EDIT: Which I realised just now is probably the people responsible for it. Damn brainfarts.
More likely the music was from the soundtracks of the movies "The Rock" and "Crimson Tide"
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Ah, fair enough. (there are credits?)

I just noticed the octo-turret tracking on the ISD. That thing moves worryingly fast.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

It is indeed the theme from Crimson Tide, written & conducted by Hans Zimmer.

As to the video, very nicely done, although I'll agree that more ship-to-ship engagement would've been nice. Seeing the canon ISD trench missle launchers actually used was a very nice touch, as was the TIE Bomber run. It felt a little sterile, but I can understand that, given limited resources. Still a very well-done piece.
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Pretty good for amature work, although the laser effects weren't too good.

For those bitching about accuracy, I challenge you to actually find anything solid on original BSG firepower. Off the top of my head, I know a Cylon raider fired at the ground a few times in the pilot/theatrical movie and the fake term "50 megon bombs" was mentioned in the second episode. That's about it. Remember that the Galactica and her fleet survived the nearby violent explosion of Carillon in the pilot, just like the Death Star and Alderaan.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I like the fact that the amatures are now being able to produce professional grade work almost.

btw good film

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

That's good and all but it looks more like a video game cutscene or animatic than anything you'd find in a real movie. Also the sound effects are way too loud compared to the music. I almost couldn't hear it was there at all.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Dooey Jo wrote:That's good and all but it looks more like a video game cutscene or animatic than anything you'd find in a real movie.
What did you expect? This was done by fans in their spare time not fucking ILM.

All considered the CGI was spectacular.
Also the sound effects are way too loud compared to the music. I almost couldn't hear it was there at all.
It's not so bad with headphones, but yes with speackers the sound effects do overwhelm the music. However you have to keep in mind that these people are not professionals
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

StarshipTitanic wrote:For those bitching about accuracy, I challenge you to actually find anything solid on original BSG firepower.
The firepower of the Cylon Raiders as per 'Saga of a Star World' is firmly within the range of modern day chemical explosives I'm afraid. During the assault on Caprica they didn't do anything a Hornet couldn't do, either.
Since the Raiders are a credible threat to a BattleStar...
That being said, while I agree the lasers could use some tweaking I rather enjoyed it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Batman wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:For those bitching about accuracy, I challenge you to actually find anything solid on original BSG firepower.
The firepower of the Cylon Raiders as per 'Saga of a Star World' is firmly within the range of modern day chemical explosives I'm afraid. During the assault on Caprica they didn't do anything a Hornet couldn't do, either.
Since the Raiders are a credible threat to a BattleStar...
That being said, while I agree the lasers could use some tweaking I rather enjoyed it.
And yet they have no difficulty vaporizing most, if not all, of a Viper in a single shot in the same episode and throughout the series. Probably best to leave it at that, lest we be hollered at.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."