Which Gundam series is worth watching?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: But I just absolutely loved it, it was such an awesome new thing to me. And I absolutely fell in love with Four; for a time she was simply the most wonderful girl in anime to me... :) :luv:
Mauer is superior. :P :luv:
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

You know, that's one of things about Zeta Gundam that I rather like. The show has a large respectable female cast. I'm amazed that idiot Mecha Musings guy totally forget about this show when he wrote that stupid article. As for Four, I'd rather hook up with Fa. I like a girl who isn't trying to kill me just to get her memories back. Also, seeing the show has really soured me towards the recent movies. They seem to half-assed in comparison to the original trilogy.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Z ガンダム... The show is so sad. I knew how the show was supposed to end and I still felt the massive tug on the heartstrings. Kamille doesn't even die and it's sad. The ending to so abrupt that it hits even harder.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Well, they do deal with Camille's fate a small amount in ZZ, so it's not like they just let it drop at the end.

Though they should have given more time to him, all things considered.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

By "abrupt" I mean the way the battle between foes ends quickly. Scirocco's final gasp does not appear to have the same impact as Char's bazooka shot at the end of the original. Fa finds him and it looks like he'll be alright, but then he starts babbling like Rosammy used to. His fate at the end is downright scary. The way Fa reacts is really reflects the fear and sorrow of the entire series I think. If there was any shred of hope in the ending, I would have to say it was the appearance of the Mk II and Fa's line, "You want to come back to the Argama?" I like the "faithful machines" scenes you tend to see in robot shows. I'd like to think people would get attached to their machines in some senitmental way.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

"Zoom!"
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Chear up a bit, VF5:

ZZ Spoiler!! Camille more or less totally recovers by the end of the second series.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Chear up a bit, VF5:

ZZ Spoiler!! Camille more or less totally recovers by the end of the second series.
You don't think the whole world doesn't know that? =D It's just damn sad that's all.

More ZZ spoilers, Chara wants to rape Judau.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

*GASP!*

No wai!!

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

VF5SS wrote:You don't think the whole world doesn't know that? =D It's just damn sad that's all.
And for the record, I actually didn't know that for quite some time.

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Slacker.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

[quote="VF5SS]More ZZ spoilers, Chara wants to rape Judau.[/quote]

Pfft. You say that as if that was somehow out of the ordinary. If it's female and not related to Judau, it wants in his pants.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

VF5SS wrote:Slacker.
Don't make me cock-slap you. :P

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Don't make me cock-slap you. :P
Your sub-arms are lacking.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I've watched the Gundam SEED movies and re-read some of the manga to remind myself why I liked the series more than I did Gundam Wing or the UC series. I found that the characters were more likeable initially, seeming more like victims of circumstances beyond their control than terrorists and sociopaths (Wing). Unfortunately, as the story progressed, the writers focused so much on pacifist propaganda that they reduced the characters to mere mouthpieces for such propaganda, trying to impose their ideals upon their world (and the audience) in defiance of human nature and human survival instincts.

As I noted here, the Three Ships Alliance should've been a group of Earth Alliance officers seeking to end the war by assassinating political/military leaders who wished to continue the war, like the German officers who plotted to assassinate Hitler. The Gundam SEED writers shouldn't have made them a third party seeking to end all wars, a plot point it shared with Gundam Wing which also made me lose interest in the series.

Another problem is that the writers tried to stretch the story across 50 episodes-- as noted, doing so resulted in the series having too many filler episodes and too many extraneous characters. Instead of sponsoring one series with 50 episodes, Sunrise and Bandai should've sponsored two series with 25 episodes each.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

I still don't get all the bitching about Rau.

So he's a psycho. So?

It makes him interesting. Taking sci-fi as a whole, it's an old archetype, but it seems fairly rare in Gundam. Char? Wanted to change the human race. Treize & Zechs? Wanted to change the human race. Master Asia? Wanted to repair the Earth.

It made him a little more interesting than the generic 'I can change the times!' Gundam baddy. That's certainly what I was expecting at the end of SEED; to see him go completely batshit insane was not what I was expecting at all.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I don't have problem with Rau being psycho, it's more about how badly implemented it was. For the most part, it comes along without the any real warning, and seems hamstrung into the plot.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!