Some rather ironic history quiz...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Some rather ironic history quiz...

Post by K. A. Pital »

Two photos.

Who can guess the participants straightaway? ;)

EDIT: If you can't, use your google-fu, because it seems to be a bit hard for the folks ;)
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2006-07-03 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

DOnald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney, at a stab.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Heh. Not all right, but you identified Rummy at least ;) What about the guy on the other side in either photo? ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Bill O'Reilly. Where's that picture from?
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Bill O'Reilly.
Good try!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It would be REALLY hilarious if it was him, you know ;) that's a hint. Another hint - both photos are highly ironic and both are about US FP. No additional clues, I've said too much already. And yes, sir, you can google. It's too hard for a straightaway guess. One should be into the history of US politics to get it ;)

Assalti Frontali
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The first one is Rummy and Saddam. I can't ID either person in the second.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
King Kong
Padawan Learner

Post by King Kong »

In the second photo, the person on the right is Fidel Castro (I think).

I don't know who the other person is. Hmmmm, ironic. . . Ollie North? I don't recognize him.
*beats chest*
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

King Kong wrote:In the second photo, the person on the right is Fidel Castro (I think).

I don't know who the other person is. Hmmmm, ironic. . . Ollie North? I don't recognize him.
Reagan perhaps? i have no idea how he looked before his presidency though..
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
King Kong
Padawan Learner

Post by King Kong »

Zac Naloen wrote:Reagan perhaps? i have no idea how he looked before his presidency though..
Neither do I, though I think he had much darker hair, so I don't think it's him.

Maybe it isn't Fidel, but bin Laden. That would provide more chances for an ironic photograph, since we assisted the mujahedeen when they were fighting the Soviets.
*beats chest*
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

I would've been able to ID Rummy/Sadam, but I can't make myself stop seeing Falafal Bill/Castro on the second. :lol:
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

The guy on the right in the second picture is Osama bin Laden, and I'm thinking the one on the left is Reagan.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Okay, we have winners for three out of four...

Right side, first picture - Saddam, guessed by MariusRoi.

Left side, first picture - Rumsfeld, guessed by thejester.

Right side, second picture - Bin Laden, guessed by King Kong.

Left side, second picture - ... waits your supreme guess. Let me give you a hint - this person violently defended the US bedsleeping with Osama's jihadists by saying that it's justified in a war against Communist Russia as late as 1998 ;) He's "famous" for saying that the goals of U.S. foreign policy is to make sure no one in Eurasia ever challenges US domination ;)

Assalti Frontali
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Stas Bush wrote:Okay, we have winners for three out of four...

Right side, first picture - Saddam, guessed by MariusRoi.

Left side, first picture - Rumsfeld, guessed by thejester.

Right side, second picture - Bin Laden, guessed by King Kong.

Left side, second picture - ... waits your supreme guess. Let me give you a hint - this person violently defended the US bedsleeping with Osama's jihadists by saying that it's justified in a war against Communist Russia as late as 1998 ;) He's "famous" for saying that the goals of U.S. foreign policy is to make sure no one in Eurasia ever challenges US domination ;)
Incorrect. The second image shows up in a Wikipedia article about Zbigniew Brzezinski who was the National Security Advisor under Jimmy Carter. As the copyright statement for the image points out, the other man is wearing a Pakistani uniform and is much too short to be Osama Bin Laden. (Brzezinski is maybe an inch or two taller than the 5'9" Jimmy Carter. Osama bin-Laden is around 6'-4" to 6'-5" tall and should tower over the American in the photo.)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Huh? So it's not really Osama? :shock:

Actually, I believe that the viewpoint for the photo is distorting the sizes - Bin is certainly taller than Zbigniew.

Other images of a younger Bin Laden do look similar, the face also:

Uniform is questionable, but not outright impossible.

Assalti Frontali
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

They look similar in that he has a beard. The fact that he's in uniform blows any chance of him being bin Laden.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

The beard is also too short. That's a relatively well-trimmed full beard, rather than the unkempt bird's nest of bin Laden.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

I'm hesitant to correct a non native English speaker on English grammar considering the fact that the Russian words I know can be counted on one hand and that my grammar isn't all that good itself, but the correct title of the thread in English would be 'A rather ironic history quiz' instead of 'Some rather ironic history quiz'.

If you're offended, I apologize, but a lot of the people I've interacted with on the web for whom English is a second language *like* to be told when they make errors such as this.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If you're offended, I apologize
Heh, where's the offense? Thanks for the hint. :wink:

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The guy who's supposed to be Bin Laden is probably Pakistan Army, if I were to take a wild guess. :P
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: Some rather ironic history quiz...

Post by Zaia »

Stas Bush wrote:Two photos.
As such, post it in the photo section of the board. Threads about photos go there. *moves thread to AMP*
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman