Does this give racist vibes?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Does this give racist vibes?

Post by Sharpshooter »

I was looking around Gaia's game discussion forum when I came upon this photo of a advertising board in Europe...

...and there's a big ol' row over there as to whether the ad is racist or not, be it by intent or short-sightedness on behalf of the designer, so I figured I'd see if any of you had anything to say about it.

As for me, I could sort of see where people might be getting those feelings from, but the offense I'm more worried about is that model they used - blech.
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I looked at the picture three times before I saw the black dude. Reminds me of this kid who used to say he'd be awesome as a Spec-Ops Operative. "I just have to dress in black and I'll just melt into the night."

As for racist, it does seem a bit. Implying that white is better or going to kick black's ass.

I'm not offended, but I'm
a) not black
b) very hard to offend

Actually, I think it looks very cool.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Yes, a white woman triumphantly clutching the throat of a vanquished black man could be construed as racist.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I don't know if I should see it as offensive, because I don't really 'get' it at all, really.

I kind of think it's racist, though? I mean, I really get that impression more than "nope, not at all". Still, buh? I don't get the message.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
King Kong
Padawan Learner

Post by King Kong »

Yes it gives off racist vibes. She's looks like she's judging the quality of the black guy (who represents an inferior gaming system, I think), about the throw him away in disgust, then announce the triumphant arrival of the superior, white video game system.
*beats chest*
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I get what they were doing artistically there and it wasn't a race thing. It's a contrast thing, the best way to make a really bright white object seem even more extreme, be it a person, object, or whatever, is to put it next to something or someone really dark.

The problem is that really does give off really racist vibes in the design execution. It looks bad, particularly with the phrasing of the copy.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Huge racist vibes. Seriously, I'm surprised they found a black guy willing to do that poster.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Durandal wrote:Huge racist vibes. Seriously, I'm surprised they found a black guy willing to do that poster.
I would guess that a pretty easy way to get models to pose for work is not to fully tell them what it'll be used for.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Let's see, If I had seen that pic with no question of if it's racist, two things would have popped into my head.

1. That chick's ugly
2. They're making a white PSP...meh.

I fail to see it.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Yes, a white woman triumphantly clutching the throat of a vanquished black man could be construed as racist.
She's not clutching his throat, Dark Moose.

The picture isn't racist. The copy makes it so.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Y'know, the first time I looked at the pick, I didn't even see the black guy 'cause of the contrast, so I was pretty confused. As it is... well, it's definitely in poor taste.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Prior evidence does not favor the PSP's marketing team either.

Oh, snap!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It's nice that Sony caters to every niche market, I suppose. Ironically, this is the kind of thing that makes me want to get a hold of the market research they performed where they showed this ad to a focus group, and they said, "Yeah, that makes me want to buy this product".
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Macunaima
Padawan Learner

Post by Macunaima »

Hum, it gives me some racist vibes, indeed. At the very least, it should made their marketing guys had second thoughts about it. Nowadays Sony is getting bad PR flak as it is.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Yes, a white woman triumphantly clutching the throat of a vanquished black man could be construed as racist.
King Kong wrote:Yes it gives off racist vibes. She's looks like she's judging the quality of the black guy (who represents an inferior gaming system, I think), about the throw him away in disgust, then announce the triumphant arrival of the superior, white video game system.
I think it looks lime she's gonna start making out with him, but maybe it's just me.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Durandal wrote:Huge racist vibes. Seriously, I'm surprised they found a black guy willing to do that poster.
I'm not, and he probably approved the photos. Money is money, doubly so for models looking for work. The picture in and of itself isn't a problem; you get all sorts of art photos like that. The problem is the copy. They really need to call it something other than Playstation Portable White.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
I'm not, and he probably approved the photos. Money is money, doubly so for models looking for work. The picture in and of itself isn't a problem; you get all sorts of art photos like that. The problem is the copy. They really need to call it something other than Playstation Portable White.
I don't see how the name itself is a problem. It's only really problematic when you combine the name and the picture together. Otherwise the 'white' part is, quite accurately, describing the color of the PSP. The picture and the name are simply a bad combination.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

My thoughts exactly!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You can always find people who will model for literally almost anything.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Whatever, it still doesn't change what my first thought was Spanky :P
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

VG cats said this would happen but This is Where in europe England... Their market research has been horrible since the "gettoh squirells" ad.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Lord Poe wrote:She's not clutching his throat, Dark Moose.
Okay, so the contrast on the black model was so low that he's hard to see and I mistook her seizing him by the jaw for his throat... my GOD my minor mistake has completely changed the entire meaning of the picture!

Or, maybe it barely changes anything at all, in that a white woman is still displayed as utterly dominant over a pliant, even helpless black man.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I don't get how you can really see that as anything but racism. The entire poster's intent is to promote the superiority of white vs. black. Even if it's intended to promote the product and not racism, the way it was done very clearly indicates that we're supposed to think that the black fellow is worth less than the white chick.
King Kong
Padawan Learner

Post by King Kong »

Andrew J. wrote:I think it looks lime she's gonna start making out with him, but maybe it's just me.
People don't (usually) sneer in contempt at the person they're about to make out with. The pose that they're doesn't necessarily give off racist vibes; the emphasis on their color and the implied superiority of 'white' is what really makes this ad racist. The pose just makes it worse.
*beats chest*
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I think it's provocative...but poorly implemented. The way they portrayed the psp white seems to make it racist. On an aside, I saw white psp's in several major European airport electronics stores just a few months ago...