The 100 million polygon model

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Azrael
Youngling

The 100 million polygon model

Post by Azrael »

(Looking back, I probably should have put this here sooner.The pics here are pretty big so...)

56k Dial-up warning!

Drug dealing. How else would he afford the comp needed to render this?
Last edited by Azrael on 2006-07-07 06:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

S'nice.

EDIT: Actually I'll add more than that & say WTF!!?? How & why. Great imagination, but why go to the extreme effort?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Jesus fuck, that doesn't even look like a CG model. It looks like some monsterous five-foot, $10,000 resin kit...

Christ, he also needs to not put every single picture on one single page. I had to close while it was still loading because it was making my PC start to choke.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

It's like the ultimate tentacle monster. :shock:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

day-am. I wonder if he was using deep thought to render that.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Gil Hamilton wrote:It's like the ultimate tentacle monster. :shock:
There's so much of it that it practically all looks more like hair and braids. I'm really not sure what the hell that's all supposed to be.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

That's fucked up. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a photograph of a real object.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

It looks it. It really does.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

The green coloration in the first shots make it look like the Divine Cannabis Dragon :P
Image Image
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Holy crap! Ten minutes and it's still loading! And this is a DSL line!

Excellent work, though. He's either getting paid for it, or he loves it like a woman! (Probably both.)
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Azrael
Youngling

Post by Azrael »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:The green coloration in the first shots make it look like the Divine Cannabis Dragon :P
See? What did I tell you: drug dealing. Not only that but he using his absolutely why-the-fuck-aren't-you-working-for-pixar insane modeling skills to subliminaly promote his filthy immoral products! He must be stopped!

(shit man, I can't find the paypal button. Anybody know how much a dimebag costs shipped from japan?)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Wyrm wrote:Holy crap! Ten minutes and it's still loading! And this is a DSL line!
That's odd; my DSL connection loaded it almost immediately. :?

In any event, that is some fine work. Amazing.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Noble Ire wrote:
Wyrm wrote:Holy crap! Ten minutes and it's still loading! And this is a DSL line!
The whole page, with what seems to be like two billion pictures?

Frankly, I had to quit early, too, after I got my look with the first few pictures. I didn't need to see the wireframe or development stuff.

Arujei
Redshirt

Post by Arujei »

That is one of the greatest pictures I have seen. The amount of dedication and work put into that model defies my mind. I-I, I may weep.
Power corrupts, but Absolute power is kind of neat.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Good God! Forget the computer, I think my brain is broken! What's the context, for those of us whose computer didn't decided to kick us in the nuts over and over for trying to load that page? I also think that it would have looked far better without most of the tentacles/hair/feathers/whatever they are that cover most of it.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:
The whole page, with what seems to be like two billion pictures?

Frankly, I had to quit early, too, after I got my look with the first few pictures. I didn't need to see the wireframe or development stuff.
Pretty much.
Although, the second half of them are broken, now that look again. Of course, they all seem to be wire frame images, so I guess I'm not missing much.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Man, what a bitch that would be to animate :twisted:
Azrael wrote:Drug dealing. How else would he afford the comp needed to render this?
Not really. 100 million polygons isn't that much, rendering-wise. Especially if he doesn't apply any extra effects to it.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Noble Ire wrote:
That's because my DSL setup is total crap, or more properly the router/wireless access point attached to it.
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

It's pretty and some of the Korean comments were funny.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

How long must that thing have taken to make@??
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

For those of you not wanting to wait for it to load, click me. It's totally computer rendered, which is rather impressive considering how many polygons went into it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Azrael
Youngling

Post by Azrael »

dooey jo wrote:Not really. 100 million polygons isn't that much, rendering-wise. Especially if he doesn't apply any extra effects to it.
Wha..? I have a dual core X2 with 2 gb of memory and it only takes a few million polygons to send my comp into ball stomping mode. You must have some kind of setup to shrug off a 100 million polys. :shock:

I don't even want to think about the rendering times, and thats without the radiosity I think was used here. :o
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Dooey Jo wrote:Not really. 100 million polygons isn't that much, rendering-wise. Especially if he doesn't apply any extra effects to it.
Wait what? Are you kidding me? What Render Farm do you own and how much did you pay for it?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Eh, you don't need a fast computer.
Just wait a long time.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

It's nice, but whoever is complaining about it killing their comp needs a new machine. With DSL, a 1.8Ghz P4, 512Mb of RAM and a GeForce 6600GT AGP version (new comp gets assembled in about a month, depending on paychecks) it took maybe 2 minutes to load with virtually no noticable effect on my machine.

Now, if that sucker was animated, it'd grab any commercial machine by the tender bits and just stomp the unholy crap out of it.

Oh, and that is so going into my campaign! He's the perfect look for the "unveiled" form of my main baddie!
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins