Bear McCreary Best TV soundtrack Composer Ever?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Bear McCreary Best TV soundtrack Composer Ever?

Post by Stravo »

I am sitting here listening to the Season 2 nBSG soundtrack and am just amazed by how damned good it is. I use soundtracks as temp soundtracks in my head for stories I'm writing. His stuff dominates my current list of songs I listen to when writing.

I have never encountered a tv Soundtrack (I stress the TV portion) that is this beautiful, deep, moving, rousing as the nBSG stuff. From the original miniseries soundtrack (IMO the outstanding saving grace of that movie) to this latest offering.

Mind you, I haven't even seen any of the second half of season 2 (dirty little secret) so I am lacking some of the emotional/scene context of some of these tracks but they are still gorgeous. His mix of different ethnic style music and intruments is perfect for the setting and gives it both a familiar and alien quality to the music.

I cannot gush more about this man's work on nBSG. Sadly I have never heard of him until the show so if he has other work out there that you're aware of please feel free to chime in.

Also as a sidenote, the LOST soundtrack is also pretty damned good. It has a different feel than nBSG but some tracks (Parting Words in particular) are spine tingling in how they can touch you.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

There are some samples on his official site.

Edit: Yes his music in nBSG is full of a hard to describe mood which makes the scenes in the show have a very different feeling from the usual fanfare type scifi soundtracks.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Minor nitpick: He didn't compose the miniseries' soundtrack, although he was the composer's assistant and obviously continued the style established in the miniseries.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Bit of a bump, mods feel free to shout at me about it if it's past the point of etiquette, but I just picked up the season 2 soundtrack as well.

It's bloody brilliant; Prelude to War, Roslin and Adama and Reuniting the Fleet are excellent, and Pegasus and Something Dark is Coming are refreshingly pleasant. It's great to have the Colonial Anthem on there finally as well. Not quite sure why they put the main title for BSG on there as well, I've got 3 copies of it in my BSG playlist now.

Call me a sap, but Reuniting the Fleet still brings tears to my eyes as a piece of music as the moment did in Home when Adama announces that he's putting the fleet back together.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Having recently bought the s1 soundtrack at the exorbitant price of AU$40, I am still more than happy with the purchase. He's fucking awesome.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I've only listened to a few tracks, "Galactica Attacks", "Wander My Friends", and "A Good Lighter", yet those three (in addition to what I've heard on the show) are enough to really give me a phenominal impression of McCreary.

But I dunno, its tough putting someone over Christopher Franke. I was never a big B5 fan, but goddamn if I didn't love its soundtrack. We'll see what Season 3 of NBSG has in store before I make my final ranking
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Battlestar Muzaktika on s1 OST for the win.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

weemadando wrote:Battlestar Muzaktika on s1 OST for the win.
Muzatika is great but I prefer "Things to come" when Six is giving Baltar the vision of him and his baby. Beautiful. And for action cues Battle on the Asteroid is currently on a loop when writing my WH40K battlescenes.

I cannot find "Galactica attacks" on my 2nd season CD. Anyone wanna help me out on where to find that track?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Everytime I listen to "Roslin and Adama" I am reminded - for some reason - of Blackhawk Down. I swear there must be a soundtrack piece from that movie that's really similar. I haven't watched that movie in awhile.

Another thing. I don't get what the big deal is over "battlestar musaktica." Are you guys mixed up, referring to "passacalgia"?
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Stravo wrote:

I cannot find "Galactica attacks" on my 2nd season CD. Anyone wanna help me out on where to find that track?
I found it when someone on the board awhile back posted a link to McCreary's nBSG work on an hour-plus long net radio program, it had a ton of different tracks from the show plus commentary by McCreary inbetween. The standalone track of "Galactica Attacks" however, I wouldn't know where to look
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Stravo wrote:I cannot find "Galactica attacks" on my 2nd season CD. Anyone wanna help me out on where to find that track?
"Galactica Attacks" is actually track seventeen titled "Prelude to War."

I love that track as it always make me feel like giving a roaring speech before a battle begins.

Pegasus is another that I like as I could just feel the emotion of having done something wrong but just can't reconcile it.

All that just from listening to the samples on the record company's website. I can't wait to receive my copy in the mail.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Stravo wrote:I cannot find "Galactica attacks" on my 2nd season CD. Anyone wanna help me out on where to find that track?
"Galactica Attacks" is actually track seventeen titled "Prelude to War."

I love that track as it always make me feel like giving a roaring speech before a battle begins.
Less roaring, and more Adama-quiet. :)

That piece is awesome. Reminds me of the best cliffhanger in BSG to date.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Stofsk wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:
"Galactica Attacks" is actually track seventeen titled "Prelude to War." I love that track as it always make me feel like giving a roaring speech before a battle begins.
Less roaring, and more Adama-quiet. :)
Well, I had a medieval battle in mind. :P

I'll have to correct myself in that "Galactica Attacks" is a shorter version of "Prelude to War" as it is the only the first three minutes of the eight.

Edit (July 16, 2006): My media player loves playing Blackmarket and I love it too. Bear is willing to use anything to get the emotion out. It has repeated for the seventh or so time already in a few hours time. It's crazy.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."