seeking to join the "Civil War" trend

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

It's me, back when I was letting my hair and beard grow out rather long. My hair's quite a bit shorter these days... when folks were starting to get tired of (at least) eleven people sharing the exact same avatar, I quickly whipped up a pile of avatars based on pictures of me I had on my hard drive, and Stark's was one of them. I believe Stark's gone back to normal avatars though, which leaves only two other people who still have my face as their avatar.

And yeah, at the time, the fedora would often prompt Amish remarks... made all the more ironic by my job in IT.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Crown wrote:You know back in the day when I had a say in such matters, I never said this but what they hey; honestly people who compulsively post in testing should be viewed as boarderline trolls/spammers, its posts shouldn't go towards post counts and should - if anything - be counted as negative posts.
My attitude has always been to spam in Testing, and make sure I contribute to the rest of the board, where it really matters. I really don't see a problem with continual or compulsive posting in Testing, unless Testing spam is the large part of a user's contribution to the board; in that case, your view of him is justified, I think.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sonnenburg wrote:Now that everyone and their uncle has one, the fun has kind of gone out of it for me.
Man, I loved your sig. I was considering using it in mine, because it was so kickass. Too bad to see it go. :)
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Here's all the civil war banners I have on my hard drive (though I only made the first one). Anyone is welcome to them, just don't swipe my bandwidth, please.

Chuck

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I don't get the meaning for the second last one.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Stofsk wrote:I don't get the meaning for the second last one.
It's yet another stupid meme. The King figure (from a fastfood franchise, I think) appears in random places with the phrase "WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW".

And no, I don't really get it either.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

It's because the Burger King as presented in those commercials, is so fucking creepy (whether intentional or not). :P
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I used to have this Lenin banner for a while - made sense, because it was in the Civil War, and also a clue about my nation and political orientation..
But I like to switch this stuff (avs and banners) around, not stick to something for good.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Stofsk wrote:I don't get the meaning for the second last one.
Way back in ancient history (I think about two years ago, now), Burger King ran a series of commercials with the same general theme. Basically, a guy wakes up one morning, turns over, and sees this Burger-King mascot in bed with him. The mascot looks at him for a second, turns, and presents him with a Burger King breakfast. I think the original aim of the ads was that Burger King serves you breakfast your way...or something like that.

Unfortunately, the Burger King mascot, if you look at any of the pictures, is downright creepy looking. And waking up to something like that is more likely to induce nightmares, heart-attacks, and questioning the existence of a benevolent god, than it is hunger.

Thus, the start of the 'Where is your god now?' bandwagon.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Creep :shock:
That's a misfired ad, for sure.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I love how they managed to get just the right creepy voiceover to complement the atmosphere...
....Meat and cheese and....

...meat and cheese....
:P
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Funny, when I see that ad my initial thought is not "Hmm... I feel like eating a burger" but "Who the fuck are you and what are you doing in my bed?"

Surreal advertising is the best.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The new Burger King campaign was wildly successful, in that it got everyone's attention. In the same way that bringing back Jack helped jack-in-the-box, bringing back the King really increased BK's business.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

But Jack is funny. The King is just really creepy.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

That's nothing. Did anyone ever see the one where the Burger King surprises the high rise construction workers with breakfast coffee? His eyes are all bugged out and bloodshot. Creepiness multiplied exponentially.

God, I love those ads.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Darth Raptor wrote:That's nothing. Did anyone ever see the one where the Burger King surprises the high rise construction workers with breakfast coffee? His eyes are all bugged out and bloodshot. Creepiness multiplied exponentially.
And then he tries to push the guy off his scaffolding.

I'm not sure what message BK is trying to send. :P
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Darth Raptor wrote:That's nothing. Did anyone ever see the one where the Burger King surprises the high rise construction workers with breakfast coffee? His eyes are all bugged out and bloodshot. Creepiness multiplied exponentially.
That one's even better! :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCSv4zNkFhw& ... the%20king
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Is a Civil war I'm with the TGV good?
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Redleader34 wrote:Is a Civil war I'm with the TGV good?
Someone set up you the bomb? Image
By His Word...
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

The best BK ad so far has been the one where a guy opens his front door and you see the King standing way out in the distance. The guy turns around for a second and when he turns back, the King is standing right there at the door.

Creepiest commercial ever.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now if we could just add some vacant looking twins to those BK commercials (ala the shinning), or maybe some japanese teen with hair covering half her face, then it would be really scary.

Twins: "Come we want you to eat with us"
LHJT: Open till 11 pm seven days a week.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I find the fact that I've only seen one Star Wars Civil War banner disturbing. I mean, no "I'm with Vader" or "I'm with R2-D2" or even "I wasn't with the Bothans"?

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I too, was shocked to be the only person who seems to represent this grand conflict.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Redleader34 wrote:Is a Civil war I'm with the TGV good?
Depends. Who did the TGV fight ? Thalys ?