All Star Pictures now w/ A-10s (56K beware)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

All Star Pictures now w/ A-10s (56K beware)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

People with slow internet connections are warned, there's a lot of pictures here and i've done my best to limit the size.  that being said enjoy the pictures, this is probably 5-10% of the total number of pictures that we have.

We left several hours earlier, even though there was a later start time of 8:00pm.  After a brisk 1.5 hour drive we arrived at Station Square, which isn't far from downtown and right next to the port for the Gateway Clipper boats.

View from Station Square.  The area sort of reminds me of Navy Pier in Chicago, and of the Gaslamp district in San Diego.

On the way to buy our tickets for the boat we saw someone feeding french fries to the ducks and fish that had gathered under the small bridge shown here.

A close up view of the fish.

The PPG Building is a dominating feature of the Pittsburgh skyline.

The interior of the boat. It had two levels, each with a full bar plus an outside seating area up top.

View of the Pittsburgh skyline from the boat.

Heinz Field, home of the World Champion Steelers.

The approach to PNC Park

A distant view of the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

A closer view of the bridge and of the Renaissance Hotel with its large banner.

A view of the mass of people flooding the cafes that are housed in the exterior of the ballpark.  We snuck our way up in line so that we were some in the first few hundred fans into the stadium.

A view of the signage in right field.

John Kruk looking ugly.  That was ESPN's studio setup for the festivities, and I tried to get Kruk to make the same goofy face he made after Randy Johnson humiliated him in the All Star Game about 10 years ago.

View of the bridge from the picnic area in the park along the river.

The Chevy inflateable baseballs anchored in the river, along with a US Coast Guard Patrol Boat.

The Crush of people at the main Rotunda Gate trying to get into the stadium about an hour and a half before game time. (we had already been in for at least an hour.

Mariano Rivera coming in to get the save!  He's the man.

This is not a picture I took, but here is a good shot of the Rotunda in left field.

We stood along that upper ramp for the full game.  It was an excellent view.  More pictures to come as they are uploaded.  More photos and maybe a video clip of the field and of the flyover by the A-10 Warthogs to come.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2006-07-23 05:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

You got some good stuff there!

Yeah, PNC park is a grorgeous park, and I approve of the nice beer selection. I got some nice pics from when I was there earlier this summer, which I'll post when I'm back at home later this week.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wow, didn't know just how lovely it is there. Clouds, Rivers, Bridges, Nice old buildings and very creative new ones! Am impressed by the lack of 70's style boring brick buildings that are so commono elsewhere.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The weather did seem to go crap for some reason :wink: Very nice pictures :)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bertie Wooster »

My favorite feature of PNC park is that behind the outfield is a perfect view of the skyline of downtown Pittsburgh. I've never seen such a view like that at any baseball park before.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Cool pictures, but we need more of CAS aircraft and baseball players!
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dartzap wrote:The weather did seem to go crap for some reason :wink: Very nice pictures :)
Although it looked gloomy and rained a little bit it was actually pretty nice once game time rolled around. There was enough of a breeze where the temperature didn't really matter.

Edit Part 1:

I have a couple pictures of Vlad Guerrero and Jason Bay i'm going to see if I can make uploadable enough, and I still have to get all of the pictures off my GFs camera.

Edit Part 2:

And here they are

Vlad Guerrero just before he takes Brad Penny yard.

The man himself, who despite being robbed of a homer last night still had a good game. One of the nicest baseball players a guy can meet, but if you shake hands with him, be careful because the man swapped paws with a grizzly bear or something.

Canadian Baycon warming up.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Here are some more PNC Park pics, that I took at a game against the Phillies:

There was a nice fireworks show at the end of the game. I guess they have that whenever the Pirates win. As someone who's gone to mostly Mets games at Shea stadium, I was very impressed with PNC Park, and how very fan-friendly it is.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Fireworks shows at PNC aren't every night, but they do have several of them throughout the season.

Which game and when? I saw The Pirates play Philly @ PNC last year when Zach Duke got his first win.

Edit:

Agh never mind, I can see the dates on the scoreboard in yer pictures.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

PNC looks amazing in the sun. Nice pictures, lucky swine. ;)
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

As promised, these are screencaps from a minute long video clip that was taken which is really quite a trip, but I don't feel like expending the bandwidth. I might toss it up on my myspace eventually.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

You are too lucky... :cry:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Exactly two pics of A-10s and no closeups. I cry foul!
:P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Batman wrote:Exactly two pics of A-10s and no closeups. I cry foul!
:P
All we got of the flyover was a video clip on my girl's Kodak camera. That's as good a pictures as I can really get from those.