Can Borg fuck?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Alyeska wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:The bastards have invaded Enterprise, I believe.

Shit, I've never seen them, and I hate their guts...
IIRC the 31st century invaded Enterprise.
Same thing. They're all a bunch of Uber-time travel wanking bastards...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Alyeska wrote:
Shinova wrote:But their ships still suck. A 29th c ship was destroyed by a 24th c one.
Invalid example and you know it. A 29th Century SHUTTLE was destroyed by a 24th Century CRUISER. Its pretty clear that the 29th Century ship was not optimized for combat. Just look at what Janeway did to her shuttle in End Game, and thats because she had some ambitions. A better example would have been if the Wells class time ship had engaged Voyager, which it did not.
So? if my 24th Century shuttlepod had so much as one weapon on it, I'd still find it pathetic to have been destroyed by a 19th Century Civil War-era iron-clad battleship. 500 years should have better advantages than that, especially considering the high Trek gets from quickly improving it's tech levels. It's a decent observation of difference in technology levels, at least.
By His Word...
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

In the Voyager episode where Belanna and Doc go to the killer isomorph's ship, 7 tells Harry that the Borg have moved beyond the need for single cell reproduction, that the borg assimilate when the need drones (in reference to sex)
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Assimilating different 'species' into the collective is irrelevant since all of these 'species' can already interbreed with each other.

The borg can have sex (First Contact)
The borg do have babies (Q-who)
I quess the question is are the two still connected, right?

The borg also assimilate new species into their own (multiple episodes)
At least one species has separated sexual intercourse from reproduction with a genderless society ('The Outcast', they repriduce by "inseminating a husk")

So its not inconceivable that the borg have also separated the process as well.

If the borg used to be totally organic then they probably would have had sexual reproduction of some sort. Didn't the Binars (11001001) used to be totally organic and slowly incorporate more and more computer components into their bodies until they became totally dependent on them? So its possible the borg began directing their own evolution in a similar maner since there's Trek precedent for it.

So my answer to "do the borg use sexual reproduction?" is "Probably, it makes sense that they would, but it is not confirmed by direct observation and since when has 'making sense' been improtant to today's Trek writers."
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

In Star Trek Voyager "Drone", modern Borg nanoprobes assimilate a futuristic holo-emitter. In doing so, they extract DNA from a Voyager crewman, and create a Borg drone that is not a clone(makes sense, clones are collectively vulnerable).

Now, the holo-emitter would probably have the following: compact computer processing capabilities, compact power source, compact holo emitter and future alloy composition.

Essentially, all Borg technology we see "One" utilize must have come from the nanoprobes that are modern Borg technology(KE shielding and such must be possible only with the superior computing and power sources the emitter provides, but it didn't create them). It's highly unlikely the holo-emitter would have specifications for a Borg maturation chamber, DNA extraction and creation, multi-phasic treknobabble that saved One from the Nebula, etc.

So in relation to this thread, the episode mentioned seems to have proven that Borg technology can easily extract DNA and create a non-clone drone(haha, that rhymes :lol: ), and within a day(hours is what was mentioned).

As to two drones physically performing intercourse to create another drone, the above method would seem far more efficent and likely to be employed. Star Trek: First Contact indicates the Queen can perform sexual intercourse if necessary.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

FUCKING IS IRRELEVANT. ORGASM IS IRRELEVANT.
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Patrick Degan wrote:FUCKING IS IRRELEVANT. ORGASM IS IRRELEVANT.
:shock: Well, to the Borg... :lol:
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Darth Servo wrote: The borg do have babies (Q-who)
Was it ever established that this baby was not simply assimilated?

So my answer to "do the borg use sexual reproduction?" is "Probably, it makes sense that they would, but it is not confirmed by direct observation and since when has 'making sense' been improtant to today's Trek writers."
Again, I'll point you to the Voyager episode with 7 of 9's comment. In reference to human reproduction, 7 says that the borg have moved beyond the need for single cell reproduction and the borg simply assimilate new drones.

IMHO:

From what evidence I've seen, I have to conclude that the borg most likely do not reproduce sexually. The borg's goal is to incorporate new species/individuals into their collective for the ultimate goal of perfecting themselves. Sexual reproduction is not going to add any new genetic material, and would be counter to this goal. While mutatations and natural selection would provide a natural method for the borg to evolve... this isn't their ethos. They would prefer to steal those adaptations that have already been developed over millions of years.

Basically, we exist because our ancestors had sex... the borg exist because their 'ancestors' assimilated. Sexual reproduction is counter to the development of borg. Without showing a clear benefit that continues to aid in this development, sexual reproduction has probably been classified obsolete.
FX
Redshirt

Post by FX »

Perfecting them selves biologically I see the Borg assimilating other species, and then using their DNA to genetically engineer their "perfect" drones. They take useful biological traits from other species just like they take useful technology.

To cover 7 of 9's statement of going past single cell reproduction, their cloning/genetic engineering could be seen as beyond simple reproduction.

I also have a problem with the Borg only way of reproducing being assimilation. They control vast sections of space, places that have no other species, but have millions of Borg. After a few years some drones are going to die, even with near perfect tech sooner or later biological systems will fail, and death will occur. This means that either the Borg are moving millions of drones around to fill planets, or are reproducing on their own. The latter would be more efficient from a time and energy stand point.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sadly enough with Voyager...they pretty much destroyed the whole thought that the Borg had a ursery and pretty much implant at birth(in fact FC introduced the crappy, zombie theory as well)

So no, the Borg do not fuck even though in the TNG I doubt they did but at least those had in essence kids to which the made new Borg from and not make them from assimilating being, but just wanted tech.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

The babies in the nursery were most likely grown (ala test tube). The only borg that we've ever seen with the ability to engage in intercourse are the "queens". (ala insect society)
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Ghost Rider wrote:Sadly enough with Voyager...they pretty much destroyed the whole thought that the Borg had a ursery and pretty much implant at birth(in fact FC introduced the crappy, zombie theory as well)
Actually, episodes "Collective" and "Drone" establish the Borg still utilize maturation chanmbers. And there's no reason to assume biological engineering is beyond them. Their modern nanoprobes did it in "Drone", thus confirming their ability to extract DNA and create drones, which aren't clones either.
So no, the Borg do not fuck even though in the TNG I doubt they did but at least those had in essence kids to which the made new Borg from and not make them from assimilating being, but just wanted tech.
In "Dark Frontier", two cubes assimilated over 300 thousand new drones within a day. A comment that they have "evolved" beyond single cell reproduction doesn't imply they are incapable of it, merely that typical assimilation is much faster. For example, the 300 thousand drones in one day is greater than the entire available army that took AOTC ten years to create.