Best nBSG Soundtrack

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Best nBSG Soundtrack

Miniseries
No votes
Season 1
20%
Season 2
80%

Total votes: 15

RogueIce
_______

Best nBSG Soundtrack

Post by RogueIce »

Just what the title says: which do you think is the best of the nBSG soundtracks?

For me, it's season 2, no question. Something Dark is Coming is an awesome piece of music. Black Market is great as well, and Reuiniting the Fleet and Roslin's Confession are not only wonderful, but merge together perfectly on the playlist, despite being seperate pieces for seperate episodes.

What are your picks?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I own them all, but ever since I bought Season 2 I can't stop listening to it. Black Market is definitely my favorite, along with the original BSG theme.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I like Prelude to War and Wander my Friends, so both.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Has to be season 2, one year later, prelude to war, reuniting the fleet, roslin and adama, black market, dark unions, pegasus, the list goes on and all are excellent. Compare that with the first one, which to be fair, there are quite a few tracks I'll skip over. I'm looking at you, Battlestar Muzaktica.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

This is actually pretty hard since both season's have great tracks of their own.

I think I have to choose season one. I love most of the tracks that I'm not even going to bother naming them. Season two is great also but Black Market, Pegasus, and Prelude to War are practically the only tracks that truly enamor me.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I loved "Wander My Friends" season 1 but havent actually heard or seen the season 2 soundtrack, in stores. would you mind posting your S2 favorites. thanks
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

DrMckay wrote:I loved "Wander My Friends" season 1 but havent actually heard or seen the season 2 soundtrack, in stores. would you mind posting your S2 favorites. thanks
I don't recall seeing "Wander My Friends" on the Season One track list. :?

In any event, here's a list of the Season Two tracks I really enjoyed (and I did like virtually all of them; its my favorite of the lot):

- Colonial Anthem
- Allegro
- Martial Law
- Prelude to War
- Reuniting the Fleet
- Roslin Confesses
- One Year Later
- Black Market
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

Wander My Friends is indeed a great song, it's maybe my favourite too. Your missing out Ire.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Acidburns wrote:Wander My Friends is indeed a great song, it's maybe my favourite too. Your missing out Ire.
Is it bag pipe heavy? My favorite track on the CD is "A Good Lighter", which has so far been unmentioned. Perhaps there was some variation in naming the pieces.
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

"A Good Lighter" is the same base. However "Wander My Friends" has greater use of percussion, is about a minute longer, and has some baddass singing in a foreign language.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Both 'Pegasus' and 'Prelude to War' are absolutely phenomenal. Season 2!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

"Wander My Friends" should have vocals and is on track 23 of season one.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Soontir C'boath wrote:"Wander My Friends" should have vocals and is on track 23 of season one.
Track 23?

Wow, I just checked, and for some incredibly bizzare reason, I never listened to the last ten tracks of the first Season soundtrack. No wonder I thought it was so abrupt. Thanks for alerting me guys, even if only indirectly. :)
The Rift
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Listening to the S2 soundtrack and the Prelude To War track sounds different from the "Galactica Attacks" snippet they previewed some months ago.

I like that we get a whole lot more than the ~minute which was previewed.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

sorry if I'm necroing, but I can't figure out where to find the song starbuck's father was playing on the piano (recording) when she and Helo were in her apartament on Caprica (early 2nd season.) It's one of those things that has just been bugging me, ya know? Anyway, anyone know what it is/where I can find it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

I guess I'm not the only one who wanted that... :lol:

nBSGwiki says it is "Metamorphosis One" by Philip Glass. I bought it from iTunes under the same title, with an album name of Glass Cage, but under Bruce Brubaker's name.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

DrMckay wrote:sorry if I'm necroing, but I can't figure out where to find the song starbuck's father was playing on the piano (recording) when she and Helo were in her apartament on Caprica (early 2nd season.) It's one of those things that has just been bugging me, ya know? Anyway, anyone know what it is/where I can find it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
It's not on the CD since it was composed by Philip Glass independently of the episode.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

ok, thanks. bummer they didn't include it though
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I like S2's Prelude to War and Pegasus, but S1 has more tracks that I enjoy listening to (The Olympic Carrier, A Good Lighter, The Thousandth Landing, Battlestar Muzaktica, Battle On The Asteroid, Wander My Friends) so ultimately I have to say S1's soundtrack does it more for me.

I still want/have them all though!
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk